Do you play portables or consoles more?

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
We've all seen the tide in Japan turning quickly towards portable domination in the gaming market. I always thought it signalled the start of a rift between Japanese and American markets, but lately I've been wondering if a similar shift will be seen here as well.

With the expanding video game scene, and the average gamer's age increasing, perhaps older gamers (with a lot more responsibilities than your average 14 year old) are sucked in by the flexibility of playing on handhelds, rather than the time investment of consoles.

Personally, I've found myself playing portable games for about 75% of my gaming over the last year, whereas I played quite a few games up until I graduated college a few years ago, but hadn't been interested in the portable market since the original Game Boy.

Which do you play more and why? (managed to make that sound like an essay question, good work)

Up until the time the Wii came out, I was defintally playing handhelds for about 95% of my gaming. Since the Wii hit (and I subsequently got a 360) It's been far more in favor of the TV consoles for me. But that's mostly because not much on the DS/GBA has enthralled me since November.

This year, 9 of my 26 beaten games have been on handhelds thus far. In 2006, 17 of my 33 were on handhelds. In other words, I don't know what to answer! ;)

[quote name='niceguyshawne']I am still primarily pc/console even though with the DS I am playing portables more than I had in the past.[/QUOTE]

ditto.

Consoles, definitely. I don't have any opportunity to play anything during the day, so even if I do play a handheld it's while I'm sitting at home.

Most of the time it's consoles for me. Nothing like sitting back in an easy chair in front of my 52" TV with a wireless controller and getting absorbed in a game.

That being said, my DS has gotten me through many a boring day at work.

I go back and forth and have long stretches where I don't game much at all. Right now I'm pretty much 100% on the DS.

I would say I play both about equally, but my interest in portables has definitely gone up since the DS was released.

6 months ago when I was commuting to the city I played portables about 20 or 30 times more than consoles. I was getting 2-3 hours a day in on the PSP and DS and only an hour or so a night if I was lucky on home consoles - now that I drive to work I really only play portables on the shitter.

[quote name='javeryh']6 months ago when I was commuting to the city I played portables about 20 or 30 times more than consoles. I was getting 2-3 hours a day in on the PSP and DS and only an hour or so a night if I was lucky on home consoles - now that I drive to work I really only play portables on the shitter.[/quote]

*ahem* CAR POOL! lol j/k

I never even owned a portable till the original GBA, and with that thing being unplayable except in bright sunlight, I dont think I ever got to a second set of batteries with it.

I played the GBA:SP alot more, but still not more than home consoles.

I skipped the original DS, but then... I fell in love with a little thing called the DSlite. I now play my DSlite more than ps2, Wii, Xbox, etc all combined!

Nothing since FF3 has caught my fancy on my DS. So naturally, I don't play it.

But if I hit a rough patch of nothing during the summer, I usually break out something portable to pass the time.

Outside of occasionally booting up Mother 3, I don't think I've really played my DS since Christmas. Oh, except for Diddy Kong Racing DS when it first came out.

I tend to switch off, I'll play DS/PSP games for a week or two straight... not even touching a console game, and vice versa.

I haven't played a portable console in a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Actually I just played Burnout on the PSP during a road-trip last week. But that was the first time in a LOOOONG time. It was fun.

I doubt this will change much once I get a light. It's all about the 360 for me right now.

I'd say both equally, maybe a slight edge in consoles. PSP has the most games I want this year, so it gets a lot of play time and attention. However, I do play PS3 daily and play 360 a lot too. I don't play my DS or GBA anymore really.

Last summer though, I mostly played handhelds.

[quote name='keithp']Since Puzzle Quest came out? PORTABLES![/quote]

I second that. I have Puzzle Quest for the PSP and i'm seriously hooked :D

Although, i voted equally because i'm still addictied to Oblivion on my 360

id say equally. i almost always am playing something on my ds (gotta play animal crossing every day ya know). but for consoles its much more sporadic, sometimes a week of no gaming. the next week ive put in 40 hours into another rpg.

console for me. More games come out for the console the interest me then portables. I've owned 3 DS's but when the games go in a slump I end up selling it.

Well, I still play my PC more than any single console. Next would definitely be console (my vote). Last would be handheld since I mostly use it when I'm on the go and occasionally when some very much personally anticipated handheld games come out I'll play them asap.

I'm a total portable freak, it seems weird I know especially since I do most of my playing inside my house... for some reason I just love portables... and collecting for them!

i've been playing my ds alot lately and my consoles not much. I guess it's because I just don't have the time to sit down and play my consoles very long, so the ds is usually a perfect chioce when I can only play for like 30 minutes or so.

Portables, but my first video game system period was the original Game Boy so that's what i bonded with in my earlier more formative years.

The last like 10 games I've played and beaten were portables.

The end result of low power and low dev costs coincidentally appeals to my sensibilities.

Consoles. I got a DS Lite not too long ago, but I don't really have much of an oppurtunity to play it anywhere but at home and when I'm at home I end up going for the consoles. Portable games just don't hold my interest like they used to.

Consoles, though mainly because I have the time to sit down and play stuff at home. Consoles are infinitely more immersive since you can have a decent setup to go with them and because the games on consoles are typically more compelling.

bread's done
Back