Do You Still Read Any Newspapers?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
I know we're all in the internet age of hustle-and-bustle, but anyone still read any ol' jalopy newspapers? I'll admit I'll pick up the NY Times, quite frequently actually, or just read it online. It's not a proper newspaper, but it does some reporting, so I guess I can add The Economist. I do love to read my home town newspaper, the Las Vegas Review Journal/Sun (Robin Leach is the man) when I can, and who doesn't love to get USA Today when they're staying at a hotel?:lol::D

Oh absolutely. For news I've preferred my local newspaper, and have for years. The format is nicer to read IMO, and the information is worlds better than TV news. Web news from reputable sources seems similar in quality... but for long reading I just prefer ink and paper.

I usually grab the arts/entertainment weeklies during my travels...the Hartford Advocate and the Scranton Electric City are the first to come to mind. I like the movie/music reviews. And Dan Savage's advice column.

When I was working in downtown SF last year, I tried to pick up a copy of the SF Examiner everyday (it's free). If not, I'll pay a quarter for the SF Chronicles. Or if I got really lazy, then I'll go to the lunch/break room and read the leftovers by other people, but people don't leave it there all the time.

I came upon this today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090309/us_time/08599188378500

It's sad to see the main newspaper in my city being close to shutdown.

Being a reporter for a newspaper I guess I should, but I typically read my news online...unless it's one of the local alternative papers like the Phoenix or Weekly Dig.

I read my local newspaper every morning. I can't stand reading news articles online and can't tolerate how sensationalized tv news is. Except for sports which I listen to local talk sports radio all day, I'd be lost about current events if it wasn't for the newspaper.

I get the Los Angeles Times and the Daily News, which is the largest other paper in LA County and focuses mainly on the San Fernando Valley. The LA Times does something fantastically dumb almost every day, without fail. It can hard to keep one's temper at moments.

The reason I get both papers is the coupons on Sundays. If those stopped appearing I'd drop at least one of the papers. The choice would be left up to my mother, who at 80 is never going to get comfortable with using the web for in-depth news.

As it is, if it weren't for not liking to go out early Sundays to get the paper and the rest of the week is pretty much given away with the Sunday subscription, I'd just get the Sunday edition with the coupons and not bother with the rest.

I do in fact read The Boston Globe online every day, but never in paper form.

The same with the LVRJ actually, I find the goings on of Vegas to be pretty interesting/amusing. The same with the AJC in Atlanta since I lived there for a few months.

I rarely read the NYTimes, but I should probably read it more often.

Never really been a big fan of newspapers. I used to read the local paper on the weekends but I haven't done that in years.

I used to subscribe to the WSJ but I canceled that a few years back because it really didn't benefit me.

Now I get all the news I need on the web or from the nightly news.

I get the sunday Washington Post. Don't really want it but I get it as a gift. It's OK for reading on the treadmill, but otherwise I prefer to google for the stories I want to read.

Only local ones, and even then, not too often.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Yes I do. It's nice to know that newspapers still have the balls to go out there and do some real reporting.[/QUOTE]Are you saying that non-newspaper sources aren't capable of doing "real" reporting?

BULLSHIT.

The local tiny town rag...I dont read any paper larger than that...no time and, frankly, no real interest. Too many other more convenient sources for news and media interaction.

I read the Washington Post online. I used to subscribe but I just don't have time to read enough of it daily to justify paying for it and it's more environmentally friendly to just read it online (and doesn't fill up my recycling bin as fast).

I pick up a paper when fly sometimes--now I'd probably just buy a single issue on my Kindle.

WSJ is good. NYT is now not worth reading. I do pick-up the Economist on occasion or read it at a friends (however, I think News Mags are much more viable than daily papers and aren't really comparable). The local AJC is a propaganda mouth-piece and will soon fold. I do buy the Sunday early (Sat Ed.) for a days early look at the fliers not listed here on CAG.

If we're going to include news magazines, I do subscribe to Newsweek and read it nearly cover to cover.

It's great reading on the crapper since it has so many 1-2 page articles, and it's a well written magazine with a blend of liberal and conservative columnists (more on the left for sure though).

They announced they're changing the format of the magazine majorly in May, so I'll be interested to see what they do. Believe they're changing both the physical size and the style of content.

[quote name='dmaul1114']If we're going to include news magazines, I do subscribe to Newsweek and read it nearly cover to cover.

It's great reading on the crapper since it has so many 1-2 page articles, and it's a well written magazine with a blend of liberal and conservative columnists (more on the left for sure though).

They announced they're changing the format of the magazine majorly in May, so I'll be interested to see what they do. Believe they're changing both the physical size and the style of content.[/quote]

It's become progressively worse as well. I wonder what the new format will do for it? Probably more tabloid celebrity crap, and lighter (if that's possible) political content.

[quote name='dmaul1114']If we're going to include news magazines, I do subscribe to Newsweek and read it nearly cover to cover.

They announced they're changing the format of the magazine majorly in May, so I'll be interested to see what they do. Believe they're changing both the physical size and the style of content.[/quote]

Newsweek has been crap for several years now.

[quote name='lordwow']I do in fact read The Boston Globe online every day, but never in paper form.

The same with the LVRJ actually, I find the goings on of Vegas to be pretty interesting/amusing. The same with the AJC in Atlanta since I lived there for a few months.

I rarely read the NYTimes, but I should probably read it more often.[/quote]

LVRJ is surprisingly still a good newspaper in today's day and age. At times a bit too conservative, but still pretty solid.

Suit yourselves, I still think Newsweek is a great news mag, with a lineup of columnists I enjoy reading. With Fareed Zakaria being at the head of that list.

I read the LA Times, but usually just the Sports page unless there's some interesting headline my brother/pop/mom tells me I should read.

I don't personally read Newspapers for two reasons:

1- I'm lazy to go buy it, and I don't really want to pay for a newspaper subscription when I can get news on the Internet;

2- It's good for the environment.

However, my dad who is 56 years old will become very agitated if he doesn't get his Sunday newspaper in the morning :p.

I only watch internet recaps, which go deeper and link sources. All the major newspapers, television, and radio; all the way down to your local stuff, are owned by 3 corporations. When they accidentally break a story, they remove their transcripts and never show it again.
Did you know that Baxter pharma was found to have ordered Bird Flu strains (not airborne) to be mixed with regular flu vaccines. Not to vaccinate against, but to mutate and kill.
Or, that Bayer aspirin was caught by the FDA trying to peddle HIV contaminated meds to the US... and when the FDA stopped them... Bayer sold the meds to Europe and infected who knows how many people? Got ripped down from the Scarborough Country's website almost immediately.
Or that we're globalizing, starting with the banks who own the entire world's assets as it is?
That marshal law is imminent?
The economy is definitely going to collapse, according to top economists, legislative and congressional members, and financial gurus?

Yah, I stopped gaming. There is so much that people believe based on the garbage news presented and packaged to them, that they instantly dismiss posts like mine, and turn thier head the other way.
Seriously, the internet can find official documents, Freedom of Information Act releases, bills in line to be passed, etc.
While having the paper in hand is always more satisfying, at least to me,... I have never felt more informed, perhaps even for the first time ever, since I began doing my own research online.

I suggest Prisonplanet.com,... or Alex Jones on Youtube for starters. Then do your own research from there.
It's going to be really scary, very soon. While I'm glad to be in the military,... I'm dreading the order to point a gun at an American for them defending thier home and family.

peace

[quote name='drone8888']I only watch internet recaps, which go deeper and link sources. All the major newspapers, television, and radio; all the way down to your local stuff, are owned by 3 corporations. When they accidentally break a story, they remove their transcripts and never show it again.
Did you know that Baxter pharma was found to have ordered Bird Flu strains (not airborne) to be mixed with regular flu vaccines. Not to vaccinate against, but to mutate and kill.
Or, that Bayer aspirin was caught by the FDA trying to peddle HIV contaminated meds to the US... and when the FDA stopped them... Bayer sold the meds to Europe and infected who knows how many people? Got ripped down from the Scarborough Country's website almost immediately.
Or that we're globalizing, starting with the banks who own the entire world's assets as it is?
The economy is definitely going to collapse, according to top economists, legislative and congressional members, and financial gurus?

Yah, I stopped gaming. There is so much that people believe based on the garbage news presented and packaged to them, that they instantly dismiss posts like mine, and turn thier head the other way.
Seriously, the internet can find official documents, Freedom of Information Act releases, bills in line to be passed, etc.
While having the paper in hand is always more satisfying, at least to me,... I have never felt more informed, perhaps even for the first time ever, since I began doing my own research online.

I suggest Prisonplanet.com,... or Alex Jones on Youtube for starters. Then do your own research from there.
It's going to be really scary, very soon. While I'm glad to be in the military,... I'm dreading the order to point a gun at an American for them defending thier home and family.

peace[/QUOTE]

Although you make a good point, that the Internet is full of official documents and such, I think most people, like me, find it too much work to monitor goverment and NGOs for news all the time and read to all the bills and etc, and would much rather have someone else "prepare" so too speak, the news for them.

However, one should be very careful with the editorial direction that their news source follow... as we all know from forum Troll Fighting, one simple piece of information can be understood in so many different ways that it could turn into several pieces of news, all of which may be in fact incorrect.

That's why I follow news just like reviews: I pay attention to the person writting instead of the organization as a whole, using it more as a guideline to what should I expect.

I hope I was clear enough to make myself understood. Anyway, nice comments on the thread.

[quote name='drone8888']Or that we're globalizing, starting with the banks who own the entire world's assets as it is?
[/QUOTE]

Which will benefit whom....if indeed we are globalizing then we already have a hidden illuminati controlling things to make that happen, and what do they gain by globalization? Nothing.

Yawn. Its like listening to a radio broadcast from 1981...Martial law accomplishes nothing except causing the people to rally around an anti-oppression cause. Unless we're all to become slave labor, the police and government already have all the control over you and me that they need.

This blows your Globalization arguement then....if the economy is definately going to collapse then globalization is pointless.

informed, perhaps even for the first time ever, since I began doing my own research online.

Let me guess...you dress in a black hoodie and smash Starbucks windows whenever you get a chance...?

For my marketing class we had to subscribe to the WSJ for 10 weeks and read different articles each week and summarize them. At first I wasn't too excited, but after reading for a couple of weeks, they have some good articles and it gives me something to do on break at work :lol:

WSJ is politically biased trash.

I read my university's student-run paper, The Daily, because it's the only paper-based news that isn't more easily found online

yea definitely still. I read USA today, sometimes NY times if I can find one and our school newspaper "The State Press" Arizona State University paper.

dont read paper much but i still get it and will occasionally glance

more so i read the national scale news online

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I saw that come across TechMeme earlier today and naturally engrossed in it. I couldn't put it down (pun intended), and read it from start to finish. Fairly accurate description of how the internet is devestating various industries, and the arguments put forth in the article are directly analogous to the shitty music industry as well.[/QUOTE]

The adjoining item http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2009/03/why-itunes-is-not-a-workable-model-for-the-news-business/ is less coherent but I like it because he rips into David Lazarus, one of the most embarrassing columnists at the LA Times.

Last year he wrote a column in which he expressed shock at the scanadlous lack of broadband speed communications in the new 'smart' meters electrical utilities want to install in homes and businesses to better manage the grid. I tried to explain to him these devices deal in very small packets of data at long intervals and require extremely little bandwidth. A 300 baud modem would do the job if they're connecting to a backbone with the throughput needed to handle millions of these things talking simultaneously. He just didn't get it. I tried asking him if he would mind paying an additional $100 for shoes that could handle running at 150 mph, just in case might suddenly acquire that ability.

That was the most outstanding example of his cluelessness, for me at least, because it came so close to my work. He has rarely done a column since that wasn't dripping with stupid juice.

I'll read the free copy that I'll occasionally get, and I make it a daily habit of going to their website to check the local news, but either way, I only read the articles that catch my eye.

Same thing with my free subscription to ESPN Magazine and Sports Illustrated - only read the interesting stuff.

bread's done
Back