Do You Strive for GAMERSCORE COMPLETION?

Ronzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I saw an interesting article on Kotaku regarding the need to not only beat a
game, but also strive to COMPLETE the Gamerscore.

I included a poll, much like they did of the top 13 Xbox Live games to see how
CAG's compare.

So which Games have you COMPLETED the Gamerscore on?

One: CSI: Hard Evidence
Why? Because the game gives you 1000/1000 just for completing the story.

I dont care much about the nerd points.

Usually after I beat the game on story I'm done with it. I'll only complete the gamerscore if it takes like a couple hours, max, to do. I have no attention span, I'm not grinding for 5+ hours for some points.

The most ridiculous are the JRPGs. Most of them require you to play through the game a minimum of 3 times. WTF? I can usually barely stand one playthrough. Except Lost Odyssey. That was ace.

Nope. Don't much care about it.

Only game I tried was Oblivion and that was just because they were all tied to doing the main quest and side quests which I enjoyed doing. Got the 1000 in the main game, didn't quite get the 250 in the expansion as one required making an alternate choice at one point and I didn't have an old save to go back and redo it easily.

it depends on what the achievements are, if they seem fun to do then i usually strive to get that particular one. otherwise i could care less about getting full gamescore on any game, but i did on king kong but all you have to do is beat the damn game.

i understand people who want to get full gamerscore to get the most out of a game but with so many releases i never have time to dedicate myself to one game to get full completion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the game. I would never go 1000/1000 in Ridge Racer for example.

If the game has easy to moderate achievements I'll most likely go for 1000/1000 except for maybe that one impossible achievement. I went for everything in Gears 1 except Seriously?

If I like the game enough and it's an achievement for doing something awesome then I'll try for it. Otherwise I don't really care. I'm definitely not going to play games over and over to get them, if I don't get it in my first playthrough I'm never going to get it.

Out of that list I've completed none of them, came reasonably close on GTAIV though, I think I have around 850, and I have 850 or 900 in Bioshock.

I think the only games I've gotten 100% GS in are buku sudoku and dash of destruction, lol.

EDIT: So I decided to just look it up and I also 100%ed Fable II Pub Games :p. And I have 805 in GTAIV, got 960 in Bioshock, and 845 in Assassin's Creed. Those are my highest.

I've done it on a number of games. I've already accepted the fact that I'm not good enough at music games to meet their ridiculous requirements, but I've gotten all the nerd points for every Marvel game I've gotten my hands on.

If an achievemnt unlocks an in-game item, and it seems worth it to me, I may try to get it. Otherwise, no.

Only for games I really like or that are easy. Call of Duty 4 and WAW were worth it. I do have goals for most games. Unless I absolutely hate a game, I like to get at least 500 GS off of it.

I finished Madden '06 and Lost because they were easy. Bioshock was fun so that was worth it. I'd like to finish Gears of War 2 but I don't think I'll ever get the Meatflag achievement.

I like to...if it's possible without multiple playthroughs or extreme (Gears multiplayer) plays of something. I really don't like multiplayer achievements in general.

Only did it for gunstar heroes (XBLA) and with the exception of one of the achievements (which is easy enough anyways), you get them playing through the levels.

Seriously though, I've never really tried much in going for 100% completion.

Nope, couldn't really care less. Only two games that I've completed, Pac-Man CE and Golf: Tee It Up and I got those without trying, I just really dig the games.

Depends on the game ... like I'm not going to search for 500 flags in Assasins Creed. A game like Borderlands though were all it means is you finish the game with a max level character, yea it'll happen.

Call of Duty 4 and Dash of Destruction are mine. A few I would like to go back and finish like Bioshock but I'm to lazy to do another playthrough. Fallout 3 is deff. going to be 100% in the future as well :D

Freeing myself from caring about achievements is probably one of the best decision's I've ever made (as far as gaming is concerned). Now, I'll only play a game as long as it remains fun. In some cases, achievements end up being a big help here - once I've beaten the normal missions and such, it gives me new goals and missions to undertake. Usually though, I find a good many achievements just grindy and more work than fun.

Posting. Only play games I'm interested in. Won't find AVATAR on me. I had a bout with children games very early on but I learned my lesson.

In your list posted though-

Fable 2 - 1000'd pre-DLC (waiting for that platinum hits version)
Call of Duty 4 - who doesnt have this 1000'd? little boys and girls, thats who.
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - had to boost this one. hate retarded rules like "4 gamertags required"
Call of Duty 5 - 1000'd pre-DLC, dont plan on buying it either. Dont have prestige 0 points either, dont care.

None of those titles for me.

As for two of those titles, I am pretty close to getting them... thats Call of Duty 4 and W@W. For W@W, I don't have the patience to kill 40 fighter planes on one of the boards. As for Call of Duty 4, the last I left my game was at the last section of No Fighting in the War Room so I will eventually finish it off... granted I most likely dont have the patience for Mile High Club achievement.

My stance on earning achievements are based on one of two things:
1) If it is a game I like alot, I will play it a bunch so of course achievements will come
2) I will at least try to go for 500 for a game (granted I can only stand so much for some games i.e. being forced to play some crappy Guitar hero songs 4-5 times can only try my patience so far hence why GH:WT and GH:SH will be left at their values)

Call of Duty 4, Madden 09, Madden 10, Gears of War 2, Fable II, Call of Duty World at War - those were my votes. I'm close on GTA IV, I have all of the multiplayer achievements but I'm at 199/200 on the pigeons...if I can ever find that last pigeon I'll be able to complete that one too.

I have all points on none of the titles on the list, Forza 2 is tough because the one online one is a bitch.

I have the full 1000 on about 43 games I think, a lot of those would be considered very easy 1000 point games though.

I don't get hung up too much on getting the full gamer score in a game, I usually try to get at least half of the points.

Geez. I haven't thousanded any games yet but I am close on Scene It BOS and I think I will be able to for Borderlands. Next closest are 815 in Left 4 Dead and 720 in Tales of Vesperia.

I do enjoy Achievements and think they add to the experience, but I'm just plain not good enough to thousand most titles. :) And in things like RPGs where it's more a question of time commitment than being skilled per se, I'd usually rather start a new game than spend another 100 hours on one I've already beaten.

Most titles, if I can get around 400-500 I'm pretty happy.

If I really like the game, and the achievements aren't going to take a lot of time or anguish I will go for it. Latest example of this for me was Dead Space. I really liked the game so I decided to go through it again on impossible.

Now if the achievements are ranked multi-player achievements I will skip them. I usually only play games online with people I know, and don't bother with the ranked ones.

I 100% finished MUA, Assassin's Creed, Just Cause, Viva Pinata, and a few others.

I'm not a completionist in the strictest sense, but I will pursue achievements if I feel like they're fun on the way.

I'm more about completion percentage- I try to keep my GS above 60% complete. There are some games I beat the campaign and never want to touch again, and some I'm more than happy to devote time to multiplayer, or find some obscure trinkets.

If your percentage is below 50%, you have to ask yourself how much you really enjoy the games you're playing.

FUN

I have to be having FUN. If the game is not FUN then I don't play it. Yes, I love getting achievement but only if it is FUN.

Life is too short and I don't have much time to play so I better be having FUN. I still play zombies on COD WAW and some HC S&D with friends and I've had all the achievement/10th prestige for a long time.

I much rather have fun playing a game and getting no achievement then playing a game that is not fun and getting achievements. However, I do think it is AWESOME that some people have ridiculously high gamer scores. It amazes me that they have the time/patients/skill to get such high scores. And for that, I salute them.

I love achievements but I won't play a game for them if it stops being fun. I haven't gotten 1000/1000 yet but I came close in Bioshock (960).

[quote name='javeryh']I love achievements but I won't play a game for them if it stops being fun. I haven't gotten 1000/1000 yet but I came close in Bioshock (960).[/QUOTE] +1.
Lost: Via Domus is the only game I've got 1000 on because it was so easy. I've also got 960 on Bioshock and nothing else really close.

Don't think I've ever gotten 1000/1000. If I don't get it during the normal course of play its not going to happen.

I don't strive. I like to milk a game for what I can in one playthrough, but I RARELY EVER play a game a second time through. I've 1000 on Fable 2 (pre-DLC), Fallout 3 (pre-DLC, currently 1510) and Lego Indiana Jones. I'm not a huge fan of collectables. Hated the flags in Assassin's Creed and I will NEVER get all of the pigeons in GTA4. Don't have the patience/attention span.

mile high club was a b**ch for me...but i was proud after getting 1000 on COD4
i try my best to get 1000 on other games...but there are some that just take forever
like collecting 100^1000000 items (flags, orbs, garbage, etc)
but it helps when u can do it with someone else (on live)

There isn't a game that I've maxed the gamerscore on.

About the only thing I'll do is flip through the achievements and see if any look fun/easily attainable. If they are, then I'll complete those.

Some good input here guys/gals. Thanks. Pretty interesting that a lot of people completed COD4 & W@W along with Fable 2 & Madden.

On a side note, it actually took longer for me to pass the "No Fighting in The War Room" on Veteran than "The Mile High Club".
I think I may have just gotten lucky or something because I think it took me maybe 15-20 attempts to clear. After I did it though,
I felt like I climbed Mt. Everest cause of how hard it was supposed be.

But don't get me wrong, it was TOUGH.

Like many people have said, if I enjoy the game, sometimes I'll go for the 1000/1000.

Eventually I'll get all of Halo 3's achievements but right now, I'm having a ton of fun with Borderlands and am almost done with all of them.

I always try to get as many as I can. Depends on a few factors if I finish completely, like how much I enjoy the game and how the achievements are. I won't put myself through something I'm bored with or hating just to have all of them.

I play the game and try to get as many as I can(never play a game just for the gamerscore). However, as of yet I have none completed(came close on Dead Rising and Bioshock though)

There was a point where I gave a shit about them, but don't really anymore. If a certain achievement is easy enough or doesn't require me to put a lot of time into obtaining it I'll probably shoot for it. Achievements that require me to play a hundred matches online or collect all 400 of something just make me roll my eyes, though. CoD4 is the only one I have 1000/1000 in and that was only because I really liked the game. If I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't, though.

I use to try to get as many achievements as possible when playing a game. Now I don't care as much. But like others said, if the game is fun and has a lot of replay, I will most likely try to get them all.
COD4 was awesome at the time when I got my 1000, which I'm proud of. I got my 1000 at Halo 3 and hopefully one day 1000 in SFIV(damn hard trails and gold standard). Tekken 6 will probably be my next mission.
I hate online achievements that are near impossible. I think most Online achievements should be from DLC.

I generally try to get the full gamerscore in any game I play unless it turns out to be a terrible game (I'm looking at you, Beowulf). That said, if the game requires an insane amount of tedious repetition to get the full gamerscore (Gears of War 2 for example) or getting the full 1000 would just frustrate the shit out of me (Arkham Asylum), I'm not going to get myself all angry trying for the completion. The gamerscore means nothing to me (I know it might look otherwise with games like Avatar on there, but that was for a competition which won me a free game) but I do take pride in some of the more rare completions I have like Splosion Man, Braid, Sacred 2, KUF: Circle of Doom, Left 4 Dead + DLC, ect.

[quote name='Ronin317']I can't get the damn Mile High Club on CoD4[/QUOTE]

Its pretty much all flash-bang and blind fire and luck. Watch some videos on You Tube to get a better idea of exactly what you want to try to do. Don't give up, take a break for a bit but don't give up and you should have it sooner or later.

I think the only games I've actually thousanded are King Kong, Fight Night Round 3 and Madden 06. I also got all of Oblivion except the one branching achievement which someone already mentioned (that one really pissed me off when I realized there was no way to get both on the same playthrough). I've come relatively close on a few others, like BioShock, Prince of Persia and Dead Space (and by "relatively close" I mean around 800 points).

I do tend to pay attention to achievements--I'll pick up what I can as I go through the game and will usually go back for the easier ones after I beat the game. I'll do the "Kill x number of enemies with y weapon" and sometimes the collection ones if they're not crazy. I don't think I've ever played a game a second time on a harder difficulty because a) I'm just not that good and b) there are so damn many games I want to play I just can't justify spending the extra time. I also wind up missing a lot of the multiplayer ones because, even if I do want to play online, by the time I get to games the online community has usually died down at least to the point that some game modes are ghost towns. Looking back I do wish I had put a bit more time into some games (like BioShock) but usually by the time I finish a game I'm so eager to start something new that I can't do it.

The only game I completed was Fallout 3: 1550/1550. I will probably complete Borderlands also, seeing as how I'm pretty close already.

I used to be serious about completion but Gears 2 broke that mindset. It just wasn't fun anymore and this is coming from someone with a legit 1250/1250 on Gears 1.

[quote name='freshzen']Its pretty much all flash-bang and blind fire and luck. Watch some videos on You Tube to get a better idea of exactly what you want to try to do. Don't give up, take a break for a bit but don't give up and you should have it sooner or later.[/QUOTE]

Oh, believe me, I have. I had a Youtube run through up on my laptop in front of me while I tried it for 2 full hours the one night a few months back, and I'd always run out of time just when I get to the top of the steps, before the door opens in slow-mo...it really has to be some part luck. I'm going to try again later this week...

bread's done
Back