Do You Support Developers Across Multiple Platforms?

mikeohara

CAGiversary!
Someone asked me in the thread about the Circuit City PC deal about why I bought another copy of Call of Duty 4/Orange Box. Below is the original quote which started this idea for a topic:

[quote name='ddrpower']But...you have OB/COD4 for the 360. At least your gamercard says so. Your money I suppose. [/quote]

I want to pose this question to fellow CAGs, do you support certain developers across multiple platforms? I have a list of about 4-6 developers that I almost always buy multiple copies of a game for:

1. Valve Software
2. Infinity Ward
3. Id Software
4. Epic Games
5. Blizzard

Anyway, I'm curious as to if any other CAGs do this besides me or I'm just one CAG in a sea of other smart CAGs.

It's not about supporting developers for me, it depends on the game.

I've bought Hitman across multiple platforms (PS2, PC, XBox and XBox 360), Grand Theft Auto (PC, PS2, XB), Indigo Prophecy (PC, XBox), Half-Life (Dreamcast, PC, PS2, XB, XB 360)..

If the version has any changes, i'll definately buy it. For example. I bought San Andreas because I had a PS2 at the time.. got rid of it.. picked it up on XBox because I started collecting games.. picked it up on PC because of the mods.

Same deal with Half-Life. I bought Orange Box on 360 and PC because there's no cross platform play. The majority of the people I play(ed) Team Fortress with bought it on PC, so I did too.

Some game series I go out of my way to buy a new copy of to support the developer. The ones above are examples of that as well, along with the Phoenix Wright series.

I wait a while, and research which version has the better, and usually get that one. No way I'm wasting my money, buying multiple versions of the same game is ridiculous.

the big name developer that can afford to release multiple platforms are usually not the one that need support.

I'd do it for schumps released in the US. Those typically seem to be only one console though.
I did make it a point to buy every DC release from 2004 to 2007 to support the third parties putting out stuff, though. Even if it was a port of a subpar schump...

I just can't buy the same game twice. I figure I've supported the devs enough just by buying their game. There are some instances where I did buy same game different consoles. Madden 07 for PS2 and PS3, and damn get I get burned on that PS3 version. uggggh! I also bought Madden 06 on PS2 and PSP. I did that cause I wanted to play against some other guys who had the PSP version.

I'm still trying to bring myself to buy Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3, and recently I couldn't even spend 8.96 to buy Parappa the rapper on PSP, cause I already own it via PS1.

"Support Developers"? What the hell? Game Development is now a fucking charity?

Well I have far better causes to "support", thank you very much. As far as videogames go, I spend that money to "support" my own entertainment.

I would never buy multiple copies of a game with few exceptions. I have bought Super Mario World on SNES, and then again on the GBA so I could play on my Game Cube. If I hadnt sold my Wii I would probably buy it again for that.

Owning the same title on all platforms is a little extremist though. Unless you worked on the title personally I dont see any reason to do so. You say you do it to support the developers, but your few extra cents they get for you buying it on PS3 and 360 dont really go that far in the long run. So unless youre buying thousands of extra titles, its only so you can have a bigger game collection then someone else. And what sense does that make?

I've never bought a multiple copy of a game on another platoform and never would.

And I don't support developers in general, if that means buying games just because they make them. I buy good games, regardless of developer. Some developers I do keep an eye on as I tend to like their games. But there is no developer out there who I've liked every game they've put out.

Never purchased multiple copies of a game, unless I bought some kind of compilation that happened to have a game I already had/have.

And... [quote name='mikeohara']Anyway, I'm curious as to if any other CAGs do this besides me or I'm just one CAG in a sea of other smart CAGs.[/quote]

Roffles.

Smart CAGs don't buy multiple copies of a game. I'm not saying that you're not smart, but CAGs are about saving money not about giving money to publishers and developers.

Also the fact that you "support" some of the biggest developers in the industry, who OBVIOUSLY need more money, is mind boggling.

I figured I would get a literal variance of respondings from CAGs whom actually agree with my thought to CAGs who basically call me a/an idiot because I deviated from what they agree to be the truth. I kind of look at my topic opener from this context, and maybe some of you do ... if you do, that's great and if you don't that's fine too, and that context follows below.

As a 16-year-old kid in High School, a buddy of mine introduced me to a shooter on his computer known as Doom II and to a company called ID Software. A few years down the road and I'm introduced to a game called Unreal via a coworker at the call center I worked at. I mean, I can go on and on and on about this ... but every single CAG has gotten their gaming start somewhere. Maybe the game was Donkey Kong on the NES or the original Super Mario Brothers ... maybe the game was Chrono Trigger, or Final Fantasy VII, or Street Fighter, or another game.

The context above comes from a lifetime of sticking to games or a series of a games from a particular studio (or in my case, multiple studios) and following a developer from a buyer's point of view.

Sorry for the long rant about this, but I find it to be a subject of curiosity amongst fellow CAGs.

I'm going to guess that buying multiple copies of a multiplatform game so you can have a copy on 2+ platforms is extremely rare.

Buying 2 copies of the SAME game on the SAME system just so you can keep one sealed is very rare, but less rare than this.

You're basically saying that the total content available across both platforms has a total value of at least 2x the price, which most people would disagree with.

The only time I've ever bought a game across multiple systems is when there is a clearly visible benefit to me doing so--typically, this comes in the way of better graphics or added content. For example, I've bought older games I already own copies of on XBLA for the added multiplayer, achievements, and improved graphics and sound (the price is usually low enough that I can justify the purchase, anyway). I've also occasionally purchased older titles that have been ported to handheld systems for gaming on the go (Super Mario World on the GBA is a good example).

But buying current titles on both the 360 and PS3 for example? There is zero incentive for me doing that and to me I feel I'm completely throwing my fucking money away. I buy the game only because I want to play it, and in doing so I feel that I'm already doing my part in supporting the company's creation of badass games rather than stuff that sucks.

[quote name='Pylis']
But buying current titles on both the 360 and PS3 for example? There is zero incentive for me doing that and to me I feel I'm completely throwing my fucking money away. I buy the game only because I want to play it, and in doing so I feel that I'm already doing my part in supporting the company's creation of badass games rather than stuff that sucks.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I'm already supporting the developer by buying the game the first time. I'd rather spend the money I would on a second copy on a different game and support another developer whose games I enjoy.

I never go out of my way to do this. Now, if a game has something extra on it, and I can get the copy super cheap, then I will. If I buy a compiliation disc, it might have some games I already own on it (I have Sonic the Hedgehog I believe on 3 different consoles).

But, I do not buy the same game twice, just to support a developer.

Though, I do have a question that I'm curious about. If you are someone who does this, would you buy a copy of a game for a system that you don't have? Say you have a 360, would you buy Call of Duty 4 on both the 360 and the PS3, even if you don't have a PS3?

I don't do it purposely, but I had Madden 06 for PS2 and Xbox 360 becuase I wanted it for my new console (bad move, that game sucked). I also have Half-Life 2 for Xbox and recently got the Orange Box for 360, though I definitely wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have all the other games with it.

bread's done
Back