Do you think the Playstation 1 is actually dead this time?

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
It seems that every time I think the PS1 is finally dead and done releasing games they come out with some new ones even if they are crappy. Well now it seems the PS1 has finally recieved the last nail in the coffin, - there are no games that I can find coming out for the PS1 this year. The last release I can find is Fifa 2005 from October 2004. Eb games, Gamestop, and SCEA websites don't show anything on the horizon. I have seen PS1 memory cards, controllers, and games on clearance everywhere recently. What do you guys think, is the PS1 officially dead and no more games? Just curious to hear opinions. Also the PS1 is now a decade old this year, incredible!

It's funy that you mention the PS1. When I was at Gamerush last night, I noticed they had a brand new PSone in the glass case for $50. They also had a bunch of games on clearance for $1. I was so tempted to buy it, but didn't in the end.

Capcom just released two collections of classic arcade games for the PS1.
http://the-magicbox.com/0503/game050315b.shtml

I'd buy them for the right price as US releases. Some tricky company might ship them as PS2 games that secretly work on PS1 just to get better display placement since many store no longer have a featured section for new PS1 titles.

Plenty of arcade classics need nothing more than PS1 for perfect home versions, so it's still viable platform with a combined with PS2 base of over 150 million systems.

I say the PS1 died somewhere between 2002 and 2003. In 2002 they had several big releases that weren't just sports games or movie licensed games. And what Sony said about consoles having a 10 year lifespan is a joke. It'll never happen.

[quote name='dcfox']I say the PS1 died somewhere between 2002 and 2003. In 2002 they had several big releases that weren't just sports games or movie licensed games. And what Sony said about consoles having a 10 year lifespan is a joke. It'll never happen.[/quote]

I think in Japan the lifespans have a higher potential to be longer than here. They still were putting out DC games over there as far as late last year I believe.

I haven't seen that one. I still see MLB 2005 in stores but that actually came out last spring. MLB is one year ahead of the others. I think Fifa 2005 was the last game ever on PS1. Anyone disagree?

[quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='dcfox']I say the PS1 died somewhere between 2002 and 2003. In 2002 they had several big releases that weren't just sports games or movie licensed games. And what Sony said about consoles having a 10 year lifespan is a joke. It'll never happen.[/quote]

I think in Japan the lifespans have a higher potential to be longer than here. They still were putting out DC games over there as far as late last year I believe.[/quote]

I think that the DC has a fairly rabid following over there...plus, it sold reasonably well. There were a ton more titles.

[quote name='ViolentLee']DDR: Konamix for PSone just went Greatest Hit in the last few weeks.[/quote]

My wallet thanks you for that post. I have been waiting to buy that one and was almost ready to give in to ebay and buy a used one for the $40 they usually go for with shipping. Thank you!

[quote name='Purkeynator'][quote name='ViolentLee']DDR: Konamix for PSone just went Greatest Hit in the last few weeks.[/quote]

My wallet thanks you for that post. I have been waiting to buy that one and was almost ready to give in to ebay and buy a used one for the $40 they usually go for with shipping. Thank you![/quote]

You're quite welcome. They've been that price at http://www.outpost.com (Fry's site) for a while now, too.

[quote name='opportunity777']I think in Japan the lifespans have a higher potential to be longer than here. They still were putting out DC games over there as far as late last year I believe.[/quote]

Last year?

You can pre-order Trizeal, a new DC shooter available April 7th.

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='opportunity777']I think in Japan the lifespans have a higher potential to be longer than here. They still were putting out DC games over there as far as late last year I believe.[/quote]

Last year?

You can pre-order Trizeal, a new DC shooter available April 7th.[/quote]

Dreamcast? Psone? That's nothing, I just bought a brand new turbo duo game released late last year called meteor blaster dx.

[quote name='ViolentLee'][quote name='Purkeynator'][quote name='ViolentLee']DDR: Konamix for PSone just went Greatest Hit in the last few weeks.[/quote]

My wallet thanks you for that post. I have been waiting to buy that one and was almost ready to give in to ebay and buy a used one for the $40 they usually go for with shipping. Thank you![/quote]

You're quite welcome. They've been that price at http://www.outpost.com (Fry's site) for a while now, too.[/quote]

well hey that just made my day, im going to order this tonight... to stay on topic, i dont think any system dies, so long as gamers are still playing them and buying games for them. i still play my nes, snes and genesis, 64, dc, and ps one, old pc games too, and im sure other people do as well. the psone will not die for many many years

[quote name='alonzomourning23'][quote name='eldad9'][quote name='opportunity777']I think in Japan the lifespans have a higher potential to be longer than here. They still were putting out DC games over there as far as late last year I believe.[/quote]

Last year?

You can pre-order Trizeal, a new DC shooter available April 7th.[/quote]

Dreamcast? Psone? That's nothing, I just bought a brand new turbo duo game released late last year called meteor blaster dx.[/quote]

Now that's hardcore

You want hardcore? People are still developing Atari VCS 2600 games. That is one of the hardest platforms to write for, because of its hardware limitations (video memory is limited to 1 scan line!) and it's over 27 years old.

[quote name='eldad9']You want hardcore? People are still developing Atari VCS 2600 games. That is one of the hardest platforms to write for, because of its hardware limitations (video memory is limited to 1 scan line!) and it's over 27 years old.[/quote]

Yes, but more people owned Atari 2600s than TurboDuos. Based on lifetime installed base, TurboDuo is hardercore :)

Yeah, I heard about companies still developing Atari 2600 carts, then I actually saw a "skit" on xplay about it, it was pretty funny.

Sony kept releasing Madden on PS1 every year... I don't see why they can't again for 2006, since PS3 won't be out by then. The game will sell.

[quote name='eldad9']You want hardcore? People are still developing Atari VCS 2600 games. That is one of the hardest platforms to write for, because of its hardware limitations (video memory is limited to 1 scan line!) and it's over 27 years old.[/QUOTE]

Wow, they still develop games for the Atari VCS 2600!...:shock:

bread's done
Back