Do you use any online financial software?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
So yeah, I was thinking about trying mint.com, but I'm extremely hesitant about providing my important information to any 3rd party like that. Anybody use them or any other service? What do you guys think?

I use the Openoffice spreadsheet to keep track of my monthly cash flow. I wouldn't trust a online site with my financial info either. I think about hackers or the site selling my info based on key words and decided never to use them. I just plain don't trust the people running any of these sites to not look at my private info.

I've used Mint for some time now, and they are very reliable. They aren't terribly accurate in my experience, as I can pay a bill and then 2 weeks later when the due date comes up, Mint will still send me an email stating that the bill is due. They do offer some cool charting functions and visual representations of your savings and debts, and as a whole it is a neat way to keep track of all of those things in one place.

For me, there's just nothing easier or better than keeping my own books at home on paper. When I do it myself, I can organize and represent things any way I want to, and I just find it easier. Still, for someone who does not like keeping their own books, this is an interesting and free way to try software-based solutions.

Just as an FYI, I've also tried recent versions of Quicken, and I found it to be cumbersome and limiting and overall, not worth the money or time.

I've heard mint.com is excellent - and it's definitely the best known and as far as I know legitimate online resource.

[quote name='cletus']I use the Openoffice spreadsheet to keep track of my monthly cash flow. I wouldn't trust a online site with my financial info either. I think about hackers or the site selling my info based on key words and decided never to use them. I just plain don't trust the people running any of these sites to not look at my private info.[/quote]

I do this, but in Excel. I manage all aspects of my finances myself.

It's not that I don't trust a place like mint.com, it's that I can just as easily do it myself and not be exposed as much.

I've heard good things about mint.com however.

My fiance does everything on Excel. No way we'd trust a website with private info. Even if the site is legit, who knows when it'll be hacked?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ender']I've used Mint for some time now, and they are very reliable. They aren't terribly accurate in my experience, as I can pay a bill and then 2 weeks later when the due date comes up, Mint will still send me an email stating that the bill is due. They do offer some cool charting functions and visual representations of your savings and debts, and as a whole it is a neat way to keep track of all of those things in one place.
[/QUOTE]

the only downside with mint, for me, is that it can take a couple days before things pop up on there. but i love the ease of organization, and as you said, the visual representations of spending and savings are very easy to use and navigate.

bread's done
Back