Do you wait until the GotY edition hits the market?

yester

CAGiversary!
I really wonder about that. Just recently i read an article (i think it was Ars) where the author claimed that it make more sense to wait for the game to become GotY because otherwise you end up spending more money and pile up games you either don't play or you have no life. :)

Anyway, i think from my gaming habits, i will end up to wait on games more. Right now i am still playing Oblivion (i started that game very very late) and have some other games that are waiting.

Before i used to buy games early on, but that makes only sense for shooter in my view. These tend to be very crowded in the beginning but later on lesser.

Also i am strictly a console guy now. For some reason, call me crazy, i reject the DRM stuff that is imposed and therefore i will not buy pc games (even if i would get mods). But that is just me.

Maybe there is also a age difference, not sure about that.

I wanted to get Skyrim for example but i think i wait on that till the bugs are ironed out and perhaps the GotY edition is out, which i did with Oblivion.

Depends on how bad I want to play a game. Fallout New Vegas I wasn't super eager for, so I decided to wait.

Skyrim I'll probably get for Xmas as I really want to play it and just haven't bought it yet as I don't have time for it right now.

To be honest, I think it is always better to wait to get a game, or really most things. Unless it is something that is going to go away, it will only get cheaper.

Then again, I have a huge backlog and no real need to buy newer games.

I totally wait for the GOTY edition for Western games (which are the only ones that do this, really).

I only recently played Fallout 3 GOTY edition, and I'll be waiting for next year to play New Vegas GOTY. I'll wait another 12-18 months at least for Skyrin GOTY. I waited for Oblivion.

Theres just not a pressing need to buy these games right away.

Not usually. I buy the vanilla version when it comes out at launch, then sell it and buy the GOTY when I want to play the DLC. The reasoning is simple: the publishers that tend to release these GOTYs (namely Bethsoft and Rockstar) make games that I enjoy and want to play as soon as they come out... I'm sure it makes more fiscal sense to sit around with my thumb up my ass until the most enticing deal pops up but in these cases I'm putting quality of enjoyment ahead of thrifty spending.

Yes, I almost always wait for a GOTY or complete edition. I don't buy most games until they hit the $20 or less mark and by then the GOTY edition is usually out or announced so I will just wait longer until the GOTY edition hits $20 or so. I don't have a pressing need to play the new and shiny, and I will get around to the games whenever I feel like it.

yeah, same here.
I basically would like to have Skyrim, but on the other hand i haven't even finished Oblivion. And then i have Demon Souls.
I even think i will pass on the black friday sales because there is nothing (for me) i really want to play right now.
I just recently got a PS3 with Uncharted and i haven't touched them either. So i have plenty to play till next year and i am slow player.
Talking about Fallout. That game alone gave me 120 hours of playtime. So for me, i just juice the game till i comes out of my eyes.
A friend of mine buys games (w/deals) and i always wonder if ever can finish a game. :)

I think there maybe only one valid reason to buy a new game like a pure online game. But now i don't play online anymore. Most of the time i just play with myself (haha i know there is double meaning in it) or better for myself.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

It depends on the game... Some games are worth playing right away. Also, you'll always be able to get a game for less a few months after release. So waiting to save money is nothing novel.

Normally not, but I DEFINATELY will for Forza 4 after being screwed twice before. I generally buy the games and play them as they come out and get the DLC instead of waiting a year to play it. I may do that for Skyrim but I'm undecided at the moment.

[quote name='2DMention']I just boycott games that do DLC completely, except for Rock Band.[/QUOTE]

In a totally serious manner, how is that working out? I would estimate about 90% of non-kids games have DLC for them. Doing a quick check on my PS360 library, 2/3 of my about 120 plus games have in-game DLC for them of some type. I'm not counting Avatar stuff among the ones without in-game DLC either.

If I want a game I just buy it. I usually wait until games hit $20 or so because I have enough to keep me busy but there was no way I wasn't playing Arkham City right away because they might someday maybe release a GotY edition. I don't know... each game I buy is an individual decision and I call 'em like I see 'em.

One downside, beyond waiting to play the game, is that getting the GOTY edition with all the DLC can be overwhelming in already long games like WRPGs.

I like to start one game and play nothing else (other than some maybe online MP) until I totally finish it. So I can get pretty burnt out on a GOTY edition of something like Fallout 3. So I kindof prefer getting those kindof games around launch and getting the dlc expansions as they come out to force myself to spread it out. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
i actually did not think through, but do all games have a GotY edition? I don't think i have seen any of Bioshock. Not sure really.

As for DLC's in my experience not all DLC's are great. Since i am new to the PS world, not sure how DLC's handled there. Are there some free ones? On the Xbox everything cost money. :(

Depends. If I can find the vanilla copy for very cheap, I will usually get it. I got Fallout New Vegas for like 10 or 15, got the original 1000 and now I'm waiting for the GOTY to come out to finish it. LA Noire, I got it for $20 from the Gamefly sale and I bought the Rockstar Pass for $12, that was $32 where the complete one was released at $50.

I still have Dragon Age UE, GTA IV GOTY and recently got RDR GOTY. Got them for $20, $20, $30 and they're still sealed, lol. Too hard to pass up prices like that on games with 100+ hours worth of content.

I have such a backlog that buying games when they are brand new is useless to me. Wouldn't play it anyway because I have something else going on.

But yes, in recent years, I haven't purchased numerous games because I knew a GotY edition or some kind of Super Awesome Everything Included edition with all the DLC would be out in a year's time or so. I did this with Red Dead Redemption and I am currently waiting for Dragon Age II's Ultimate Edition announcement, like I did Origins, before I get DA2.

i almost never get the DLC anyway, i usually wait for a price drop , or if i find a nice used deal on ebay or amazon after a week or 2. there's always someone who's quick to beat it and sell it at around $10-$15 cheaper right after it comes out.

90% of the time I wait till the GOTY version comes out. Ever since Xwing complete collection I've always known waiting till the GOTY/Complete/Gold/Ultimate edition came out was a smart move.

It used to just be PC games that would have a GOTY version but in the era of DLC more and more games are getting GOTY editions. I think Fable the lost chapters and Midnight Club 3: Dub edition remix were the frist console GOTY games I picked up. After that there have been more and more of them released and I usually end up waiting.

I've just been burned a few times, but after that I've decide to wait on Uncharted 3, Skyrim, LA Noire, Fallout NV, etc. and I plan to wait until those go on sale for about $20 to drive the point home some more. Lol

Yeah, I usually wait on a Game of the Year Edition unless there's a really good deal on a game. I got burned by buying Fallout New Vegas, Heavy Rain, LA Noire, Borderlands, and Grand Theft Auto IV.

bread's done
Back