Does any store actually carry games on release day?

Blaine

CAGiversary!
I run into this everytime I want to pick up a game - games are 'released' tuesday but in gamestop on wednesday.

Is there anyone who actually has games on shelves the day they're released?

I guess I never noticed because 99% of the time I wait until the weekend to shop.

Most stores will not get them until Wednesday. The ship dates are usually Tuesdays and will be available in stores on Wednesdays. The only exceptions are big releases like Mass Effect, Halo 3, Final Fantasies, etc. Those big games are usually available to buy on their release days and not the day after.

I usually avoid release day specifically because of lines (see Halo3) availability (see Gears) and the like. I wait normally a week. Forza 2 though, I couldn't hold out and called at lunch day after release date. Lucky for me they didn't get it the day it was supposed to be released but the next day.

Same goes for consoles. ONLY the Wii did I go out and get it 1 week after launch. Paid only $30 over retail too :applause:

The problem is that the game industry lists the ship date as the release date. The date that publishers give is the day they ship it. Unfortunately we still don't have teleportation technology, so it takes about a day for a game to get stores. Hence why it's always a day later.

Some games are shipped prior to release, with instructions to not sell until a certain date. If it's a smaller release, they'll just ship the game on the release date, which means it will take a day to get to the store, thus, not be available until Wednesday, or late Tuesday.

Yeah, the problem is games are generally listed with a shipping date--which is the date they get sent to stores, rather than a released date.

They really should do it like CDs and DVDs where they are all at the store in advance and will be put out on Tuesday (or pick another day if they don't want to be on the same day as movie and music). But same day makes more sense as people can just grab all their new release crap at the same time, and maybe you get some impulse buys from people who see the game on the new release table in Best Buy next to the DVD they went to pick up.

release date is more or less ship date. only big AAA titles get released on their actual release date (i.e. halo, nintendo first party titles, AAA sony titles)

[quote name='PyroGamer']Basically, it has nothing to do with the store, just with the particular game itself.[/quote]

Thanks.

bread's done
Back