Does anyone care about the games?

porieux

CAGiversary!
In the whole first page of this forum, I see all these posts about the PS3 launch, how to get one, hardware problems, etc. but not one thread about the GAMES. Shouldn't this be the most important thing? What launch titles are out that even make all this trouble worth it? What games are you getting? What are you excited to play? Anything?

Compare to the Wii board- A whole thread dedicated to reviews/game availability, and you see where the gamers are. The system focus is because ebayers are the primary PS3 buyers right now.

No, they don't. I went around to various stores tonight and talked to a slew of line-folk. Barely any of them even knew which games were available. A whole lot of them were just buying the system so they could sell it on eBay or Craigslist for big money.

Well -someone- is ultimately buying them to play them, right, even if they are the ones buying on eBay or whatever...

What a strange situation.

[quote name='porieux']Well -someone- is ultimately buying them to play them, right, even if they are the ones buying on eBay or whatever...

What a strange situation.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's because the PS3 is a relatively cheap Blu-Ray player. No-one cares about the games.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Nah, it's because the PS3 is a relatively cheap Blu-Ray player. No-one cares about the games.[/QUOTE]

$1500+ on eBay is a relatively cheap Blu-Ray Player?

I must be really out of touch with reality then!

And how much Blu-Ray software is out there for that matter?

This has to be a worse launch than even the Saturn debacle (I remember being in a TRU shortly after it launched and thinking WTF?... this is out already?

Still plan on the Wii purchase sunday... if I had snagged a PS3 Id have ebayed it to pay for the Wii...

I was asking the same question. The game lineup looks really weak in my opinion. The only game that I've seen thus far that even looks like something to me is Metal Gear Solid 4. It may not be enough for me to grab a PS3 though as the 360 is looking better every day in my opinion. Sony's agenda is obvious and it is definitely not about the games. Yes Microsoft's agenda isn't 100% games either but at least they have already seemed to streamline the experience. I also second the Wii comment...most of the fans of it are talking games. I'm picking mine up on Sunday and I can't wait. I still don't see why (based on games) anyone would pick up this $600 console.

The only PS3 game I care about is MGS4 and since it's not out I diddnt see a reason to deal with all the bs. btw I just read in the new EGM rumors section that MGS4 might be comming to 360!

The reality for Sony is that they must win the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD war. So they are focused on selling systems not games. The games and movies will be the focus once the systems have been rolled out. Sony knows that even with zero games available the PS3 will sell out at launch.

[quote name='jer7583']Compare to the Wii board- A whole thread dedicated to reviews/game availability, and you see where the gamers are. The system focus is because ebayers are the primary PS3 buyers right now.[/QUOTE]

QFT

Edit: I do buy systems based off the games. I love all my systems. Sony's launch is kinda weak with only Resistance being of any interest to me. Though I do not buy launch systems anyway. Only one I bought on launch day was the Dreamcast. Nfl2k and Soul Caliber sold me on it.

You really can't tell if the system or games will be good until like a year from now. Yeah the launch looks weak, but I mean once all the better games come out(like what happened with PS2) no one is going to care about the launch games.

It seems people just want to bitch and moan about all the negative things. Sure PS3 has problems...well what did you expect? I mean if your stupid enough to buy a brand new system at launch and expect it to play perfect, your just dumb. It is Sony afterall. If you didn't learn your lesson with the PS2, then you deserve to get burned.

I am excited for the PS3 but will probably pick one up next year during the summer. It's not even about the price or anything. I just have lots of PS2 games to finish up. Everyone is talking all this stuff about PS3 yet everyone will end up buying one. I remember the PS2 when that came out, everyone talked bad about it, and looked how that system turned out.

I don't agree that you have to wait a year to evaluate a system. Otherwise they should have waited a year to release it. People are paying good money for the system and games now and that's what's fair to evaluate it on.

If anyone here bought one and is actually planning to play it then they should leave this CHEAP ASS gamer site. They wasted $700 on a system with a game when they could easily Ebay it and make massive amounts of money from it then buy it when it's cheaper (If it doesn't flop) and if there are any good games out (If they ever get around to making a good game)

Oh my god. I just watched the PS3 X-Play special.

Ressistance - 5
Madden - 3
Gundam - 1
Genji - 2
Untold Legends - 2

I think there was another one that got a 2, but I cant remember what it was. But those scores are really sad.

[quote name='d00k']Oh my god. I just watched the PS3 X-Play special.

Ressistance - 5
Madden - 3
Gundam - 1
Genji - 2

I think there was another one that got a 2, but I cant remember what it was. But those scores are really sad.[/quote]

Don't they score games 1-5, 1 being the worst and five being the best? It's been forever since I watched x-play.

Looking at Game Informer Online, I found this somewhat humorous as it really showcases the contrast between the decisions Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have made (and yes i realize they are launch titles):

Genji : Hmm, let’s see. Let’s have some hacking! Yeah, yeah, and maybe some slashing! Brilliant! ; While the graphics are most definitely next-gen, Genji’s gameplay and level design are so five years ago I half expected the game to ask me if I could score it some good tickets to the Limp Bizkit concert.

Untold Legends : Pick one of three characters, fight several enemies across different dungeons, and then level them up and while upgrading your weapons and armor just like you have been doing in every action/RPG since the beginning of time

Ridge Racer : Ridge Racer continues to rest on its laurels, albeit very pretty and finely tuned laurels

Call of Duty 3 : By-the-numbers shooter, with a few annoying minigames sprinkled in between firefights ; The single player may lack innovation, but the multiplayer is better than ever

Resistance : Nothing terribly new in the gameplay department, but it does it all well

Notice a pattern? Not saying it's a bad thing or PS3 sucks or passing judgement. It's just a pattern i noticed reading the reviews.

[quote name='schuerm26']Looking at Game Informer Online, I found this somewhat humorous as it really showcases the contrast between the decisions Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have made (and yes i realize they are launch titles):

Genji : Hmm, let’s see. Let’s have some hacking! Yeah, yeah, and maybe some slashing! Brilliant! ; While the graphics are most definitely next-gen, Genji’s gameplay and level design are so five years ago I half expected the game to ask me if I could score it some good tickets to the Limp Bizkit concert.

Untold Legends : Pick one of three characters, fight several enemies across different dungeons, and then level them up and while upgrading your weapons and armor just like you have been doing in every action/RPG since the beginning of time

Ridge Racer : Ridge Racer continues to rest on its laurels, albeit very pretty and finely tuned laurels

Call of Duty 3 : By-the-numbers shooter, with a few annoying minigames sprinkled in between firefights ; The single player may lack innovation, but the multiplayer is better than ever

Resistance : Nothing terribly new in the gameplay department, but it does it all well

Notice a pattern? Not saying it's a bad thing or PS3 sucks or passing judgement. It's just a pattern i noticed reading the reviews.[/QUOTE]

If you bought a PS3 expecting innovation, you either mispronounced Wii or are just plain stupid.

[quote name='jer7583']If you bought a PS3 expecting innovation, you either mispronounced Wii or are just plain stupid.[/quote]

Where does it say anyone bought a PS3 expecting innovation? The reviews simply point out the drastic difference the 2 companies see as being next-gen (1 graphics, 1 gameplay).

[quote name='ace25one']Don't they score games 1-5, 1 being the worst and five being the best? It's been forever since I watched x-play.[/quote]

Yeah, it's 1 out of 5. Resistance was the only good launch title. Everything else was average or below.

The Gundam graphics were terrible, even by PS2 standards.

Madden was just meh.

Genji and Untold Legends terrible camera angles.

Is the Wii just the Dreamcast with a cool motion controller? I'm thinking of getting one instead of trying to get a Ps3. I read somewhere there has been on advancement in the graphics/processing arena, seems kinda lame.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Nah, it's because the PS3 is a relatively cheap Blu-Ray player. No-one cares about the games.[/QUOTE]
Only reason I tried to pick one up...

Technology does not equal better graphics at this stage of the game, that's a fallacy IMO.
It's all about creativity and talent of the artists and designers, at this point.

see i was justhtinking about this. if there were a bunch of games that i REALLY wanted to play and I had a stable income. i wouldn't mind paying 1000 under those circumstances. but nothing really excites me for this console. excpet for Resistance, that looks fun actually. I was interested in Untold Legends but apparently it's bugy as hell./

If you've got an Xbox 360, then the entire PS3 'launch window' is redundant and totally sucks. If you don't have a 360, then it just pretty much sucks. I don't know who I'm angrier at: the eBay fuckwad hoarders, or the idiots who are paying $2,500, i.e. over FOUR TIMES the MSRP for a console that really is going to need 8-12 months to find its niche. It can only be the very rich, the irredeemable fanboys, and just America's fascination with the brand-new and the 'bling factor'. Hey, we've fuckin' practically made Paris Hilton* a subject of idolatry.

In other words, as of right now, the PS3 is nothing more than a status symbol.

*--For whatever reason, I just constantly free-associate that bitch with the PS3. I guess it's because she's exceptionally spoiled, she gets whatever she wants, people seem to fall all over themselves for her and think she's hotter than she actually is (which is not to say that she isn't hot), and she seems like the perfect person to get one of these consoles and have no fucking clue whatsoever on how to even unbox it, let alone play it. She'd probably find more success with the Wii, as the Remote should be more 'familiar' in her hand.

bread's done
Back