Does anyone else have the 22 inch Westinghouse LCD Monitor (LCM-22W3)?

cheapfrag

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I just built my first PC this weekend and needed a new monitor. I saw the 22 inch Westinghouse on sale at Best Buy for $179.99. Looked like a great price (newegg is selling it for $249.99).

I was also considering the Samsung 22 inch LCD monitor (226BW) which was on sale for $319.99. The Samsung received excellent reviews at newegg (over 600 reviews posted). It has 2 ms response versus 5 ms for the Westy. The Samsung has a slightly higher maximum brightness and comes with a DVI-D cable. Both have a native resolution of 1680x1050. The Samsung has a 3 year warranty whereas the Westy has only a 1 year warranty.

I ended up buying the Westy because it seemed to be the better sale deal ($70 cheaper than newegg where the Samsung was the same price at newegg as the BB sale price). I figured that I had 14 days to give it a try and if I didn't like it I could return it to BB. So far it looks very nice.

I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with the Westy monitor. Do you like it? Has it held up well? Any problems down the line?

Thanks

No personal experience, but I'm thinking of buying one for the 360 I'm about to get. Lot's of people seem to like Westinghouse LCDs, for the money. It comes down to whether or not YOU like it, which seems to be the case. For 130 bucks savings over the Samsung, I'd say you did alright.

From Computer Shopper magazine:

Reviewed by: Rik Fairlie
Review Date: June 2007The Westinghouse LCM-22w3 is a 22-inch wide-screen LCD with a handsome minimalist design—but an equally basic feature set that doesn’t always shine in performance tests. Nonetheless, this $349 monitor (available for $279.99 from online retailers) is a pretty sweet deal for average users.
We really like the appearance of this display. Westinghouse set the 22-inch panel in a slim bezel with a straightforward design that’s pleasing to the eye but doesn’t scream for attention. Likewise, the chassis is made of matte plastic and presents a refreshingly simple face: no buttons on the front panel, just a Westinghouse logo.
Setup was also plain and simple. The monitor requires no driver installation, so we simply snapped the LCD neck into the base and connected the cables. We did find the monitor a little wobbly, but that should be nothing to worry about as long as your desk is stable. (Speaking of necks and bases, the LCM-22w3 can tilt, but, like most budget models, it isn’t height-adjustable.)
The LCM-22w3’s tech specs are average for monitors in this class and price range, with a native resolution of 1,680x1,050, a 5-millisecond response rate, 280-candela-per-square-meter brightness, and 700-to-1 contrast ratio. The feature list is merely basic—you won’t find a High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) port, a flash-card reader, or even an included DVI cable. The ports are similarly minimal: D-Sub (analog), DVI-D, and audio. Westinghouse did incorporate 2.5-watt stereo speakers, but their output was barely audible.
In our DisplayMate (www.displaymate.com) performance tests, the LCM-22w3 turned in some comparatively weak results. Gray-scale reproduction was below average, particularly at the high end. Text was easy to read only down to 6.8 points, and the monitor’s Text mode failed to improve readability. Nonetheless, real-world performance was decent—we could read Word documents and Web pages without trouble.
The display did better in our DVD tests. It handled fast action smoothly with no artifacts, although we did notice some noise in very dark scenes. Color reproduction was also accurate, and overall performance was pretty good. As for games, the LCM-22w3 handled fast-action scenes in Doom 3 with only the slightest clipping, but we did note some lost detail in extremely dark areas. For all that, the monitor should be suitable for average video and gaming enthusiasts—but you’ll need to upgrade the speakers, which are woefully inadequate for entertainment.
There are a couple of bigger caveats to consider—for one, the somewhat inscrutable control buttons for the onscreen display (OSD). They’re tucked out of the way on the front right corner of the panel, which is nice, but the buttons themselves are sometimes perplexing. What, for instance, would a Turbo button do? Inexplicably, it’s for scrolling the OSD submenu. And the OSD Enter/Exit button lies precariously near the Power button, which means that you might accidentally turn off your display while making adjustments (like we did).
Then there’s coverage. Westinghouse provides a skimpy one-year parts-and-labor warranty, while most other monitor makers offer three years. The company’s toll-free phone tech support is available Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (ET).
All things considered, though, if you want a nicely designed basic monitor at a very competitive price, the Westinghouse LCM-22w3 belongs on your short list.

Yea, I read that review before buying. Figured if they considered it a good deal at $279.99, that it was a great deal at $179.99. I have played Sims 2, some Company of Heroes, C&C Generals and so far everything looks good - haven't seen any ghosting, colors seem good. I want to try F.E.A.R. next to see how it looks in dark areas.

first off; i am a diehard crt fan. :applause:

i tried one lcd a year ago (Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW), hated it and went back to my trusty ol' crt. so i walk into best buy just to look around. i always stroll down the long line of monitors and ponder, "should i give lcd another go?" but always seem to shrug off the lure of the lcd.

but this day i came across the westinghouse 22" widescreen lcd for a mere $179.00. i thought hell; what could i possibly lose? if it sucked i would stick with my crt and use it for a paper wieght.

i got it home. it's totally plug and play. i fired it up...looks good. the real test for me is that it looks good in-game. i play mostly fps games and put it to the test.

i have to say this is absolutely one of the most incredible moves i've made in years. i am completely stoked with this thing! it has incredible sharpness and no backlighting. no dead pixels. no ghosting in games (listed below). no bleed. not a single thing to complain about.

the color is intense...and rich. i have never been swayed by the cost of things and believe what my eye tells me. so if i were you out there still holding on to old faithful...take a chance on this monitor. you'll be glad you did! what an incredible piece...and nevermind the price...wow!

see you online...with my 22"s of never thought i'd say it...LCD goodness.

gUeRRiLLa*666*

list of my favorite games:
f.e.a.r.
s.t.a.l.k.e.r.
insurgency mod (beta)
halflife 2
battlefield 2142

bread's done
Back