Does anyone have their 360 hooked up to an HD projector?

Caro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I guess HD projectors aren't that popular compared to HDTV's, but I just wondered who played on an 100"+ screen and how the picture quality was. :D

We have a 360 hooked up to a HD DLP projector here on a 122" screen. The projector actually belongs to my roommate so I can't take the credit, but it does look fantastic. And since it is DLP I expected a little lag in the response but I sure as hell didn't notice it.

[quote name='valor19']We have a 360 hooked up to a HD DLP projector here on a 122" screen. The projector actually belongs to my roommate so I can't take the credit, but it does look fantastic. And since it is DLP I expected a little lag in the response but I sure as hell didn't notice it.[/quote]

DO you know what kind it is? I'm thinking of buying a used Sanyo PLV-Z5, (or maybe even brand new because I can get a screen, and ceiling mount included for under 2000$ canadian, taxes included.)

I figure it would be better than buying a lower end 37" to 42" HDTV for the same price.

It's an Infocus Screenplay 4805. My roommate bought it well over a year ago and spent around $1,000 or so. In a weird sense of irony, that same projector showed up in Gamepro a month after he purchased it as their projector of choice for gamers. I've seen it now refurbished for as low as $400 and about $700 new. Only does 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i, no 1080p though.

*note, i know gamepro sucks, lol

Just to clarify the 4805 is not a 720p projector, it's a 480p max (854x480 resolution) projector. It is still a solid pj, and at current prices (especially used) it isn't a bad purchase but a true 720p projector will be a significant upgrade, and the price isn't that much different (+350 more for a new 720p model vs. ew 480p).

I would recommend a Mitsubishi HD1000U for around $850 shipped (check AVS forums). The picture is fantastic with Hi Def sources (360/PS3/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray). Wish I could post some screenshots but I'm not with the projector to take any for a few months.

Projectors are cheaper than HDTVs and offer larger picture but you must factor in - installation difficulties (throw lengths, offsets, etc - not just plug and play), lamp bulbs (cost can be around a third of the PJ itself and can last as little as 1k hours), and quality control issues.

If you are willing to negotiate those, and you can couple it with a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound setup, definitely make the purchase. The looks on my and my friend's faces when we play on the projector is amazing. It really is a whole different experience.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you'd like to - I've spent a lot of time researching projectors and sound setups in the past year and would love to help some other people to experience the best kept secret of gaming - projectors (while keeping a cheapass budget of course - you can get a fantastic system for anywhere between 1k and 1.5k (which is a lot of dough, but consider the price of a flatpanel TV)

[quote name='getmyrunon']
Feel free to ask any more questions if you'd like to - I've spent a lot of time researching projectors and sound setups in the past year and would love to help some other people to experience the best kept secret of gaming - projectors (while keeping a cheapass budget of course - you can get a fantastic system for anywhere between 1k and 1.5k (which is a lot of dough, but consider the price of a flatpanel TV)[/quote]

What is the difference between eco mode and normal mode? I'm assuming that it puts out less light, but if I'm in a completely dark room will there be a big difference between the two? I'm asking because whatever projector I get is going to be used in this mode.

[quote name='Caro']DO you know what kind it is? I'm thinking of buying a used Sanyo PLV-Z5, (or maybe even brand new because I can get a screen, and ceiling mount included for under 2000$ canadian, taxes included.)

I figure it would be better than buying a lower end 37" to 42" HDTV for the same price.[/QUOTE]

Never buy a used projector unless its a crt for simple answers go to projectorcentral.com

The hd1000u is great the plv-z5 is even better but the panasonic AE1000 would be my choice because of its lense. It makes it easier to install with a wider range of throw distances. The h1000u is not even in the same class its only 720p while the panny and z5 are 1080p. If you are only going to play games i say save your money (alot of money) and stick with 720p but if you are forward thinking or use hddvd or blu ray the difference is very clear at 100in.

BTW you should NEVER have any delay with dlp unless its got a lousy scaler (and your feeding it a non native signal)ie older samsung dlps.

eco mode gives you more lamp life and sometimes worst contrast the difference is usally unnoticeable in a proper room with shades and darkly colored walls.

the z5 has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio which seems a little excessive to me so am I right in thinking that I won't notice a difference in eco mode? (or whatever low setting it has)

I plan to mainly watch standard definition DVD's, that will be by far the main thing I'd be using it for. I only plan to drop standard def DVD when affordable HD DVD burners/media are available which isn't any time soon. :lol:

I would say I'd be watching DVDs for 70-75% of the time, games for maybe 25-30%. 720p projectors a better option for now and then move up when I am ready to jump into the HD DVD scene? If I bought an HD DVD player I would maybe be watching 2-3 HD-DVD movies a week.

[quote name='Caro']the z5 has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio which seems a little excessive to me so am I right in thinking that I won't notice a difference in eco mode? (or whatever low setting it has)

I plan to mainly watch standard definition DVD's, that will be by far the main thing I'd be using it for. I only plan to drop standard def DVD when affordable HD DVD burners/media are available which isn't any time soon. :lol:

I would say I'd be watching DVDs for 70-75% of the time, games for maybe 25-30%. 720p projectors a better option for now and then move up when I am ready to jump into the HD DVD scene? If I bought an HD DVD player I would maybe be watching 2-3 HD-DVD movies a week.[/QUOTE]

Yes eco mode should look about the same. I would go with the 720p in your case you save 2 grand and hd dvd will still look great in 720p and most every game is rendered at 720p max. BTW forget the z5 thats a 720 with fixed lense i mistakened it as a 1080p for some reason. The ae100x (720p lcd) or hd1000u (720p DLP) should be the two you decide from. The panasonic has a better scaler for watching dvds and what not but the dlp usually gives a better picture for gaming. That said I use a 720p ae700 (predecessor to the ae100) and it looks great you'll be happy with either. Again the panasonic has a better lense if you want to mount it on a shelf way back.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Yes eco mode should look about the same. I would go with the 720p in your case you save 2 grand and hd dvd will still look great in 720p and most every game is rendered at 720p max.[/quote]

Thanks. :D

My two cents: If you're planning on mainly watching SD-DVDs go with a used 4805 - native 480p projectors look better than 720p + projectors when it comes to handling SD content, and they still look great with games. Save up your cash and you'll be able to snag a solid 1080p projector for around 2k after rebate by x-mas time.

If you go with an older DLP make sure you aren't bothered by screen door effect (visible pixel structure), or rainbow effect (older DLP colorwheels produce "rainbows" on the screen for some which can be really obnoxious), but since you played with one already you're probably okay.

And yes, if you have a light controlled room running a projector in eco mode should be plenty bright.

And finally don't trust the reported contrast ratios from any company - they're all over the map and often don't measure anywhere close to what they say they do (usually underperforming but occasionally over).

I've got mine hooked up to a Panasonic PT-AX100U projecting at 100" and couldn't be happier. The brightness was my primary reason for purchasing it as it lets me leave a light or two on the room without completely destroying the image, even in Eco mode which is all I run. I tried a Sanyo PLV-Z5 when I was auditioning projectors but wasn't pleased with the brightness, plus it had convergence issues which drove me nuts.

I use it about 60% for games, 20% HD DVD/DVD, and 20% HDTV viewing.

I am running a Mits HD1000u on my 360 right now. Have had it since november. It's fantastic. I'd never ever go back to a big screen HDTV.

Ask any questions you like. It's easily the best projector you can get under $1300. Hell of a steal at $860. HD DVD's on my add-on will make you weep with this projector.

The HD1000 is an extremely bright projector and if you are going to be running it under 120" you will be more than fine in Econo mode for most of the lamp life. The first 1000 hours will look like a 100" plasma, I shit you not.

I also still have my 4805 in storage I'd sell for a good price if anyone wants it. The very best 480p projector.

I'm on the HD1000u as well. I love it!

Only thing I can add because I don't know as much about projector technology as the other posters here, is connect your 360 via VGA.

I was running component and maybe it was the long run (25 ft. cable) or a ground loop but I was getting these noticable weird lines. No problems with my ps3 thru hdmi, so it was pretty irritating.

VGA cable solved all of that. The best part is with vga...dvd upscaling baby! DVDs just don't look as good when you blow em up on a bigger screen, but upscaling made a marked improvement for me.

bread's done
Back