Does anyone know how much this is?

[quote name='bignick'][/QUOTE].002 dollars? The last two terms identify as zero, if I remember right.

IMO whats funny is that he thinks no one will be able to understand it.

One of two things will happen. Either they'll throw out the check, and say they never received payment. Or call up one of their accountants to figure out that total.

I appreciate the gesture, but what was he going for? If it was "his two cents" he misplaced the decimal.

[quote name='jmcc'].002 dollars? The last two terms identify as zero, if I remember right.[/QUOTE]

You are correct! e^(i*pi) = -1 and that infinite series converges to 1 so yeah the whole equation equals 0.002 dollars. My math degree has finally paid off!

I have to start writing my checks like that. Seriously.

Although, if he was trying to send "his two cents," he loses points for that extra zero in the decimal. Now I'll wonder if that's a typo of intentional...

I suppose that check's worth 4 coupons with each one having a cash value of 1/20 of 1 cent...

I wouldn't know. Alegebra 2 is as far as I got. I spent my math class days eating chips, BS'ing with friends, and playing Tetris on my TI-82 calculator.

the summation 1 over 2 to the power of n is zero. since any number over infinity goes to 0, i believe it's 2 hundredth of a penny.

[quote name='Prock']the summation 1 over 2 to the power of n is zero. since any number over infinity goes to 0[/QUOTE]No, it's a geometric series. It converges to one (or two if you start at n=0.)

[quote name='Prock']the summation 1 over 2 to the power of n is zero. since any number over infinity goes to 0, i believe it's 2 hundredth of a penny.[/QUOTE]

If I may elaborate on the post above...

The SEQUENCE of terms (1/2)^n, as n moves toward infinity, approaches zero, yes. But this is an infinite geometric sum that is 1; use the 5th equation below "infinite geometric series" in that link to see this.

And there is no such thing as a "number over infinity." Infinity is not a number, more of a concept.

And the final amount is 2 tenths of a penny, or two thousandths of a dollar, depending on your point of view.

bread's done
Back