Does anyone know why Windows vista is so slow when it comes to unzipping/raring files

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
So this is the second computer I've noticed this. It takes forever for Vista to unrar/unzip a file, and it's driving me nuts. I don't know what to do since this is a brand new computer. I have tried both IZarc and 7zip and just have no clue. Anyone had this problem/know what to do?

Use a different program? I use winrar and never have much of an issue with any of my 4 Vista machines being slow to extract files.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Specs?[/QUOTE]

Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core Duo T8100 2.1 Ghz
4 GB RAM

The thing pisses me off. It literally takes 20-30 minutes to unRAR something.

I accidentally 93 mb of rar files. Is this dangerous?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']It literally takes 20-30 minutes to unRAR something.[/QUOTE]

To unrar what exactly? Extraction time depends on contents, size, and compression level.

Also, use WinRAR. Also, get Windows 7, it fucking owns.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I accidentally 93 mb of rar files. Is this dangerous?

To unrar what exactly? Extraction time depends on contents, size, and compression level.

Also, use WinRAR. Also, get Windows 7, it fucking owns.[/QUOTE]

Unrar .avi, etc. I know on my XP computer with far lesser specs it can unrar something in 2-3 minutes, the same files.

[quote name='DestroVega']^ I've had mine since April 1... when should i start defragmenting? I don't wanna do it just to do it.[/QUOTE]

Why not do it overnight or when leaving the house for several hours?

A fantastic, free compression program I swear by:

http://www.izarc.org/download.html

Fantastic program. You may want to give it a shot, just to see if your performance is better with it.

As far as slowness with zip operations in Vista.. I can't say I've heard anything about that. I've heard of isolated cases of optical drives and USB hard disk read/writes being slow, but I believe most of that was fixed by Vista SP1, and tightened up even more in SP2.

Also, Windows 7 *IS* fantastic. I've been running ultimate for weeks, and I'm very happy with it.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core Duo T8100 2.1 Ghz
4 GB RAM

The thing pisses me off. It literally takes 20-30 minutes to unRAR something.[/QUOTE]

A 3gb file on my end takes what 4-6 mins, maybe 7 mins. Sounds like something is wrong with your rig or hard drive.

It definitely has something to do with your setup. I've used 4 separate Vista machines to unzip files, one of them was a Celeron Processor, and a 100MB would only take a matter of seconds to extract. Vista is not the problem here, and is an awesome O.S. now. Windows 7 is even better though.

I got xp with a regular duo core processor (when they first were coming out) and 2 gigs of ram....and for a 700mb collection of "video" files it takes about a min to unzip and about 2 mins for a 1.36

and a full movie (4.7)....about 4 and a half to 5

so yea, something is wrong

Hmm...I'm not sure what to do. The HD is 300 GB or so, and I still have a 100 left on it. Something is definitely wonky on this setup and I"m not sure what. It shouldn't need a degragmentation as the computer isn't that old. Do you guys think if I did a recovery to factory settings might solve the problem?

Whew...recovering to factory settings over defraggin???

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Can't believe no one posted the correct answer yet: It's Windows Vista.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had one problem with Vista.

oh, I stream my audio and video files through windows media player for use on my xbox and ps3, and every time i turn the computer back on i have to allow my files to be shared... it says it saves the preference, but it doesn't.

anyone have an idea for me?

[quote name='spoo']Have you tried using 7-Zip?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and IZarc. Both take equally as long to unzip/unrar something.....I have no idea why Vista or the computer is acting like this.

If I were you I would test my HDD. Go to the website of the manufacturer of your HDD and download the diagnostic tool and run it before start-up.

7 mins for 12gb on Windows 7 - Core 2 Duo running at 2.6ghz 2gb ram - I'd suggest a hd diagnostic check. If you are overclocking your cpu maybe take it back to stock and try the unrar. I'm loving Windows 7!

[quote name='bordjon']7 mins for 12gb on Windows 7 - Core 2 Duo running at 2.6ghz 2gb ram - I'd suggest a hd diagnostic check. If you are overclocking your cpu maybe take it back to stock and try the unrar. I'm loving Windows 7![/QUOTE]

Anyone have a site with the HD diagnostic tools? I remember several months back that I found a site listed all of them for the specific brand's drive. I can't imagine the HD going bad, but if that is the case than it is simply unbelievable. This is practically a brand new computer.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I wonder if the drive is starting to die. Do you have any other drives to test?[/QUOTE]

Does this usually happen when HDs start to go bad? I have other drives to test, but I don't why I would do that when I know they are working and unraring fine.

read/write speeds could account for the weirdness you're seeing.. but if regular file moves and file access is going quickly, it could really depend. I was just thinking about possibilities.

[quote name='BattleChicken']read/write speeds could account for the weirdness you're seeing.. but if regular file moves and file access is going quickly, it could really depend. I was just thinking about possibilities.[/QUOTE]

That's what's so weird. No problem moving files or file access.

bread's done
Back