Does anyone know why Xbox isn't slim or compact?

oper00

CAGiversary!
You know how PS became PSOne and PS2 came out with a slim version? The same went for SNES with the smaller SNES design. Then Nintendo decided to make the GC compact so they really didn't need to make a slimmer version.

It's been awhile now and next gen consoles are almost around the corner. So why didn't Microsoft decide to slim down the Xbox? I'm sure the processors and such are waaaaaay compact now than it was years ago. I'm planning on buying an Xbox but the thought only came to me when I was about to re-buy a PS2 for spacing issues.

maybe because Xbox has it's own hard drive, but then they make computers smaller so i really have no idea. I suppose Sony did it with the PS2 to help out sales of its systems during the holiday.

The money they would have put into redesigning Xbox 1 was pretty mucg rolled up into Xbox 2. Almost all the bits in an xbox are stock, it would have cost more to change things up.

for a while, rumors had circ'd that there would be an xbox lite- possibly without a harddrive, but those have all quieted down. i would have thought it made sense to test the waters with a smaller, cheaper harddrive free system- all the more so if any of these rumors about multiple different types of xbox 2 are true.

Have you looked inside? The XBOX is basically a PC. DVD drive, Hard Drive, Motherboard, fans etc. If you were to compare it to other game systems it's bigger and heavier. But compared to a PC tower, it's definately on the small side. I just went to the beach this weekend and took my xbox with me. It's not quite as portable as the other consoles (mainly due to the weight and fragile nature of the HD) but I didn't have any problems tucking it in a corner of my trunk.

its bigger because Microsoft encourages consumers to pop the top and look inside. they want their customers to replace and alter their proprietary technology such as replacing the hard drive and such.

if the box was smaller this acceptable behavior would be more difficult, but MS had vision enough to design the xbox with modifications in mind. Thank you MS for helping make a console with a 120 gig hard drive a reality.

[quote name='hotwls13']Have you looked inside? The XBOX is basically a PC. DVD drive, Hard Drive, Motherboard, fans etc. If you were to compare it to other game systems it's bigger and heavier. But compared to a PC tower, it's definately on the small side. I just went to the beach this weekend and took my xbox with me. It's not quite as portable as the other consoles (mainly due to the weight and fragile nature of the HD) but I didn't have any problems tucking it in a corner of my trunk.[/quote]

I don't know why Xbox is so big..but I'm scared he couldn't leave it at home when he went to the beach.

There are two main factors involved. First, the Xbox design was done very quickly.Once the go-ahead was given they knew wanted to be on retail shelves ASAP or the competition would be much to deeply entrenched to make it worth entering this generation of machines. It was a given that the console would be based around DirectX development tools, ergo the Xbox name, so that gave them a huge time savings in going with an Intel CPU and a PC-ish structure optimized for video throughput and reduced cost. Not as optimized as it could have been given more time but delivering substantially better performance than a comparable PC running full Windows and supporting all the things a PC must do a s well as play games.

Nvidia was the natural choice for a chipset partner since they had long focused their designs on DirectX and had the then most advanced products in the consumer sector. These chips were rapidly catching up with CPUs in the heat department as their transistor counts grew by leaps and bounds as Nvidia made major additions to video chip functionality beyond just pushing polygons. The XGPU ended up being a somewhat more advanced version of the GeForce 3, which PC developers were just learning to exploit. It is sometime referred to as GeForce 3.5. Nvidia also had plans underway for getting into the motherboard chipset market and the highly advanced audio subsystem was also a perfect match for giving the Xbox a feature beyond that of any previous console.

So everything was coming together but time was still very short compared to the multi-year stretch an existing console firm would typically have involved in their next generation. There wasn't nearly enough time for heavy duty thermal design testing and there was also the issue of how much cost could be allowed for higher end cooling methods that would allow for a more compact design. The heat pipe used in Sega's tiny but powerful Dreamcast had added considerably to Sega's difficulties in making a profit on that system. The Xbox was going to have to allow a bit of bulk to allow enough internal airflow for a lower cost cooling solution.

What about later? Why didn't they do a redesign when they had all the time in the world, like Sony did? The first Japanese PS2 units had chip made on a .25 micron process that had only been intended for engineering and devlopment samples. The delay in getting .18 micron production up and running cost Sony tens of millions in low yields and expensive chips but bore the pain and the PS2 chipset was done in .18 in time for US launch.

When you move a chip design to a smaller feature size manufacturing process, a die-shrink, if you aren't seeking greater performance the most immediate benefit is reduced cost since you get more chips per wafer. The primary operational benefit is those chips generate a lot less heat and can fit in a tighter space with lesser cooling needs.

To create the PStwo Sony took the main chips, the Emotion Engine and Graphi Synthesizer, and remade them on first a .13 process, then a .09 or 90 nanometer process. They also combined them into a single package which further reduced their size and simplified the board layout. On top of this, eliminating the support for an internal hard drive on the new PStwo design got rid of another big heat source.

So why couldn't Microsoft do this? The hard drive couldn't be eliminated but a die shrink would allow for a much smaller Xbox. This brings up the second issue, which goes hand in hand with the first, the rushed design period. Part of this meant using what Nvidia had to offer rather than something designed from scratch. Microsoft doesn't own the bulk of the innards in the Xbox video and audio chips. They cannot create smaller versions of those chips without Nvidia's participation and that is unlikely to happen for a price Microsoft can accept. The Xbox didn't move in the kind of numbers Microsoft had been hoping and they consequently put pressure on Nvidia to reduce their chip prices to allow the Xbox retail price to be lowered for a sales boost.

Continued...

Continued from last message

The low sales of the Xbox would make it hard to justify a investment in a new design even if Nvidia wasn't in a bad mood over the deal. Xbox has done well enough to prove to Microsoft that this is a market worth pursuing further and the brand has now been well established in two of the major markets.

In technical terms it wouldn't be a big deal to shrink the Xbox. Intel already reduced the Pentium III chip to a .13 micron design long ago. That chip was marketed at a maximum speed of 1.4 gigahertz and could easily be undercloccked to match the Xbox CPU. In this state the P-III would run very, very cool. It would even need a fan of its own, just a small heatsink. (This has actually been done for some compact industrial applications and works fine.) That would account for a good chunk of volume right there. The two Nvidia chips could also easily go down to .13 to greatly reduce their package size and nearly eliminate their active cooling needs. The results of using those three cooler chips would easily allow for an Xbox revamp about the same size or slightly larger than the original PS2.

Physically it's completely doable. It is the financial and political issues that prevent it from being done.

[quote name='joevan07'][quote name='hotwls13']Have you looked inside? The XBOX is basically a PC. DVD drive, Hard Drive, Motherboard, fans etc. If you were to compare it to other game systems it's bigger and heavier. But compared to a PC tower, it's definately on the small side. I just went to the beach this weekend and took my xbox with me. It's not quite as portable as the other consoles (mainly due to the weight and fragile nature of the HD) but I didn't have any problems tucking it in a corner of my trunk.[/quote]

I don't know why Xbox is so big..but I'm scared he couldn't leave it at home when he went to the beach.[/quote]

Haha, that did sound bad didn't it. What I meant was I went to my In-Laws house at the beach and I brought the xbox so my son would have something to keep him entertained. We actually rarely go to the "Beach" itself. Maybe in the summer a little.

bread's done
Back