Does anyone think this would make a good movie?

blackbird3216

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Not worth looking at.
I was searching Wikipedia when i somehow landed on Vincent Chin's page. A guy that was beaten by 2 Chrysler employees because they thought he was Japanese. The best part is, there were 2 cops witnessing the beating and they didn't bother stopping it. The worst part, he died the day of his bachelors' party. (sounds similar to what happened to sean bell) After 2 trials(Both in which they were spared jail time and payed less than $4000). Then during they decided to settle out of court, 5 years after Vincent died, and they simply paid 5million, and 0 seconds in jail. Then, years later, his mother said, "What kind of law is this? What kind of justice? This happened because my son is Chinese. If two Chinese killed a white person, they must go to jail, maybe for their whole lives... Something is wrong with this country."

Seems like a pretty good setting for a movie. (i know, just say it's dumb:cry:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Chin

Read at your warning(endless blabbering about a dumb concept:
I guess start when Vincent is younger, thinking that he will find a better life in America only to be killed by 2 people who thought he was Japanese. Then get some background info about the 2 men who killed him, how they lost their jobs, etc. When the bachelor party starts, they can add in the part when the guy says "It's because of you little motherfuckers that we're out of work". The bloody murder scene, then the long but worthless court case. You get the idea;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chasemurata']TV movie, perhaps. I think it does not have legs for a full-featured film.[/QUOTE]
well, i think anything is possible. Who thought playing with a plastic guitar could be so fun?

I know I could never get into it, too boring in terms of plot development and there is no point, no message of hope or lesson to be learned. It would be just a sad fest that I would leave the theatre thinking, this sucked.

Well yeah, it is a bad concept for a movie, worse then that Happiness movie to boot. It's a tragedy and I'm sure Vincent was probably a great guy, but there's really nothing epic about the story. It's two dumb racists in the midwest venting on a poor guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Japanese interment during WWII - that may make for a good WWII movie B-plot (or maybe part of the backstory/setting for a mid-1940s film noir, like the govt hiring a private dick to search for a real Axis spy - a larger scale "Devil in a Blue Dress" type movie)

But Vincent Chen's death is an episode of Cold Case at best.

I know I could never get into it, too boring in terms of plot development and there is no point, no message of hope or lesson to be learned. It would be just a sad fest that I would leave the theatre thinking, this sucked.

Yeah, i guess that wouldn't have been any good. Maybe B at best. But i think it really depends on who makes it. Though it would be the first time an Asian American person was actually a main character in a movie.

It could make a great movie. It'd need to be fictionalized some, but it could definitely be done.

[quote name='Brak']It could make a great movie. It'd need to be fictionalized some, but it could definitely be done.[/quote]

Anything can be done with an accomplished director, too bad there's too many hacks though.

[quote name='blackbird3216']Yeah, i guess that wouldn't have been any good. Maybe B at best. But i think it really depends on who makes it. Though it would be the first time an Asian American person was actually a main character in a movie.[/quote]

Hmmm. It surely wouldn't be the first time, not even if you just count American movies.

If you're talking Asian American characters you can go back as far as the popular Charlie Chan movies (although he was played by white actors)

Off the top of my head I can also think of alot of action/martial arts movies starring Asian-American actors such as the Crow, but there have been many dramatic/comedic/musical/etc roles as well (such as Anna and the King)

[quote name='blackbird3216']Yeah, i guess that wouldn't have been any good. Maybe B at best. But i think it really depends on who makes it. Though it would be the first time an Asian American person was actually a main character in a movie.[/quote]

Harold and Kumar

[quote name='camoor']Off the top of my head I can also think of alot of action/martial arts movies starring Asian-American actors such as the Crow, but there have been many dramatic/comedic/musical/etc roles as well (such as Anna and the King)[/quote]

There are movies with Asian-Americans in the lead, such as Joy Luck Club, Harold and Kumar, and Better Luck Tomorrow. Anna and the King, however, should not be counted among that number. It starred Chow Yun-Fat, who is Asian but not Asian-American.

[quote name='rapsodist']There are movies with Asian-Americans in the lead, such as Joy Luck Club, Harold and Kumar, and Better Luck Tomorrow. Anna and the King, however, should not be counted among that number. It starred Chow Yun-Fat, who is Asian but not Asian-American.[/QUOTE]

It's BS but consider that part of the reason is Hollywood almost always goes for the lowest common denomenator of movie-goer. Hence all the stereotyping.

I think that's a good three quarters of that BS, among all the cliches.

Oh, and the movie concept... not interested here. But I tend to HATE domestic dramas.

[quote name='blackbird3216']Not worth looking at.
I was searching Wikipedia when i somehow landed on Vincent Chin's page. A guy that was beaten by 2 Chrysler employees because they thought he was Japanese. The best part is, there were 2 cops witnessing the beating and they didn't bother stopping it. The worst part, he died the day of his bachelors' party. (sounds similar to what happened to sean bell) After 2 trials(Both in which they were spared jail time and payed less than $4000). Then during they decided to settle out of court, 5 years after Vincent died, and they simply paid 5million, and 0 seconds in jail. Then, years later, his mother said, "What kind of law is this? What kind of justice? This happened because my son is Chinese. If two Chinese killed a white person, they must go to jail, maybe for their whole lives... Something is wrong with this country."

Seems like a pretty good setting for a movie. (i know, just say it's dumb:cry:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Chin

Read at your warning(endless blabbering about a dumb concept:
I guess start when Vincent is younger, thinking that he will find a better life in America only to be killed by 2 people who thought he was Japanese. Then get some background info about the 2 men who killed him, how they lost their jobs, etc. When the bachelor party starts, they can add in the part when the guy says "It's because of you little motherfuckers that we're out of work". The bloody murder scene, then the long but worthless court case. You get the idea;)
[/QUOTE]

There is already a documentary worth watching about Vincent Chin: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096440/

[quote name='rapsodist']There are movies with Asian-Americans in the lead, such as Joy Luck Club, Harold and Kumar, and Better Luck Tomorrow. Anna and the King, however, should not be counted among that number. It starred Chow Yun-Fat, who is Asian but not Asian-American.[/quote]

Oh yeah good point.

bread's done
Back