Does anyone use any mobile apps to keep their collection in check?

thecoryjihad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (84%)
I've used a couple on Android and I'm not the happiest with them. I was curious what you guys used and what you've had luck with.

In the past I used My Collection Pro, but it couldn't save to the SD card, so when I had to reboot my phone, I lost everything that I scanned. Then I tried vgcollect.com, but I wasn't happy with the interface and the lack of variety. I had to add half of my games. I'm currently using one called Game Free, which so far seems nice and it'll save to the SD card, but I just wanted to see if you've had any luck with anything else.

Thanks!

P.S. I hope this isn't off topic, but it seemed relevant, since it's about the overall collection.

Wait, so you guys actually scan each and every game you have? That's gotta be the most tedious thing unless you've got like... 100 games.

I have over 1000 games, it doesn't take very long to scan them at all. Besides if it keeps me from purchasing a game multiple times then its worth it. Once its done you just scan games into your collection as they come in, which doesn't take long at all.

So, what, like you have to scan the barcode and they automatically update the game/info for you? Seems like it would take quite a bit of time (lets say 5 seconds) for the app to find the game and confirm the data... considering the sheer number of games out there, dating back to the Atari days. At 1000 games, assuming you had every single game lined up and scanned in a perfect process, it would take over an hour. And that's if you do everything perfectly organized with no downtime.

Scan, confirm, scan, confirm, scan, confirm, scan, confirm... sounds tedious to me.:lol:

I Just use CAG database. It's nowhere near the best with how awful the search is, but it does the job well enough. For the most part I usually know what games I have in my collection offhand (over 840 some), but usually if I'm not sure I just check my CAG collection first since every game I tend to get comes from a thread here in anycase.

I use evernote. I typed all of my games, movies, seasons, and books onto there in separate notes in a media notebook. A note for blu-rays, one for Xbox 360 games, DVDs, PS3 games, Wii games, Seasons, etc... All alphabetized so I can easily look to see if I have it or not. Plus I am sharing the notebook with my girlfriend so she knows not to buy any duplicates either. It isn't as visually appealing as some of the other solutions but it gets the job done.

Plus I can edit the list if I need to on my phone. It is also backed up in the cloud, so I can access it from any computer with an internet connection if for some reason I ever need to. Works for me.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Just use CAG database. It's nowhere near the best with how awful the search is, but it does the job well enough. For the most part I usually know what games I have in my collection offhand (over 840 some), but usually if I'm not sure I just check my CAG collection first since every game I tend to get comes from a thread here in anycase.[/QUOTE]

I'd do this too, but it's not available on CAG's mobile site. fuckers.

I typed the whole Xbox backwards compatibility list into my iPod touch in the notes section.....

Yes the iCollect app does automatically add games to your collection as you scan them, you don't even have to confirm it. But you don't scan them all at once, the most I ever did in one day is probably 1 system's worth of games. This makes the job considerably more tolerable. But honestly I really needed a way to organize my stuff, as this app gave me a big incentive to get organized and therefore allowed me to easily see my collection so if I had duplicates of a game I was able to put them in a pile to sell, therefore reducing my clutter.

Of course if you have older games that don't have a barcode like old atari games, you will have to add them in manually which takes more time.

bread's done
Back