Does Apple give credit toward a new Ipod if yours breaks?

Thrice5

CAGiversary!
About 2 Weeks ago my cats spilled a cup of water on my Ipod Touch 32 GB 5th Generation where it sat over night, and just my luck i got it for christmas the previous year. Which of course means i had no recourse to take toward the warranty aspect (which i know they don't cover it getting wet anyway). Unfortunately, before i realized it was wet... i pushed the power button as i picked it up and when it didn't respond i looked closer and realized my the inside part of my cover was completely soaked... To my dismay, i had just purchased a couch... which was packed full of silicon beads. So i pop out the silicon beads and put it in the tightly sealed plastic bag completely submerged in the beads. So oh so patiently i waited 8 days to take it out of the bag and test it for the first time, no luck (i really didn't have any in the first place considering i knew i pushed the power button while it was wet which is gonna fry it in an instant). So i guess i will finally get to my point to posting this thread. I have read a few things online stating that they do give you credit toward the purchase of another Ipod. Nowhere have i been able to find how much credit or really any more information on it. Just wondering if anyone around here perhaps works for Apple or has any information on this that would be of use to me before i drive 45 mins to an apple store to have a sit down with Genius Lab dude only to be destroyed once again. I really don't wanna cancel my Vita pre-order to buy another 32 GB ipod touch... TYIA

[quote name='Scorch']Why don't you go through the site and contact support? Or call the Apple store?[/QUOTE]

I did, and they told me i would have to setup an appointment and meet with a Genius Lab member....

Apple used to give 10% off a new ipod if you gave up your broken one- if i remember correctly. If you want to sell you broken ipod- pm me and let me know. :)

First off similar incident happened to me. The first thing I would try even if you are out of warranty is going in to a apple store. Some employees are nice and may fix it or replace it (varies by chance and mood of employee). You might even be able to buy a extended warranty for the ipod i don't know what the limitations are on how long after your purchase that you can extend the warranty, but again some employee may be nice to you.

In my case I was over a year out and the gentleman i got was a bit of a jerk. You then have three options.

1. If you'd like to get it fixed there are many mail in ipod repair services that will fix water damaged ipods depending on how extensive. These are just two well known ones:
http://ipodrepairclinic.com/
http://www.ipodrefresh.com/apple-ipod-iphone-repair-california.html
You can email them with a detailed description of what happened to see if they can do anything.

2. Sell the broken ipod either here or on ebay. People buy the broken ipods for spare parts and sometimes just to repair them, themselves. (This will most likely be the ideal choice from what you've described, Apple 10% is a rip off you would save more buy selling it and then buying a new one at retail.)

3. Take the easy route if your lazy. Give it to apple they will give you 10% off your next one.

In my case I was about to sell off my ipod, because the touch screen was not responding, but I gave it several months and it eventually came back.

hope this helps!

Also check to see if the water indicator is red. Sometimes the ipod suffers water damage but the indicator remains white meaning apple will not consider the ipod water damaged. In my case it was still white, but because of the warranty they refused.

How to check the indicator info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302

Your going to need either a handheld light or a desk lamp you can shine from above while looking in.

Also tip if you go to the apple store DON'T SAY YOU SPILLED WATER! just say it stopped working and act like an idiot let them try and figure out what is wrong.

Glad I could help tell me how i goes. Also try and keep an eye out when you get to the store for a genius that looks "nice".
If its a no go I would actually hold off on getting a new ipod as a new version will be launched in the next 3 months or so.
Another tip you don't need any paperwork. It's always good to have if available, but when you go in then can pull it all of the serial number on the back of the ipod.

I did the same thing for a buddy of mine when he smashed the front cover of his ipod in, it was 2 weeks old. I got the guy to give him a new one , but he will never be able to get a replacement again.

I checked my indicator, and its really hard for me to tell, but its one solid color. I can't tell if it's like a light light light pink, or if its a silver/white color. If i had to guess i would say the silver color, hopefully thats okay. I am gonna have to wait till the weekend to stop by an apple store, but i will keep you up-to-date on it for sure. Thanks again!

bread's done
Back