Does BB or CC ever have discounts on video game hardware?

andyjharper

CAGiversary!
I'm always getting coupons for 10% of items like TVs or DVD players but it never includes video game hardware. I only ask because I am a little upset that they have a PS3 being displayed in the DVD section with all the other Blu-Ray players. My thought is if it's in that section I should be able to purchase it as a "Blu-Ray DVD Player" and get the 10% off (or 12% if using my RewardZone MC). Sigh, I just think the PS3 is too expensive right now but I really want the BC of the 80GB model.

The reason hardware sales are rare is due to the fact that companies make extremely little profit off of most consoles. The real cash comes from software and accessories, this is the reason that so many stores attempt to shove bundle packs down your gullet.

Video Game Deals The best video game deals in the world are here. Only registered CAGs may enter.
ONLY CREATE THREADS IF YOU ARE POSTING SPECIFIC DEALS!

[quote name='JMClarkent']The reason hardware sales are rare is due to the fact that companies make extremely little profit off of most consoles. The real cash comes from software and accessories, this the reason that so many stores attempt to shove bundle packs down your gullet.[/quote]

Indeed.

[quote name='andyjharper']I'm always getting coupons for 10% of items like TVs or DVD players but it never includes video game hardware. I only ask because I am a little upset that they have a PS3 being displayed in the DVD section with all the other Blu-Ray players. My thought is if it's in that section I should be able to purchase it as a "Blu-Ray DVD Player" and get the 10% off (or 12% if using my RewardZone MC). Sigh, I just think the PS3 is too expensive right now but I really want the BC of the 80GB model.[/QUOTE]

Thing about game systems is, they're sold on a razor/blades model. Companies underwrite the hardware in the hopes of making money off of software sales, both first-party and third-party (where licensing fees come into play).

DVD players, on the other hand, are frequently not manufactured by companies who also have a finger in the content pie. Thus, discounts can be offered without making the sale unprofitable.

The reason you see a PS3 on the Blu-ray endcap is because Best Buy (and other retailers) also have an interest in selling as much content as possible, and thus would prefer you buy a machine on which you can play both Blu-ray films and PlayStation 3 games. That way, they potentially get twice as many sales out of you as they might out of somebody who buys a stand-alone Blu-ray player. Thus, "Look, PS3. Doesn't this look shiny and awesome? Don't you want to buy one after seeing it display Blu-ray movies?"

[quote name='SackAttack'] The reason you see a PS3 on the Blu-ray endcap is because Best Buy (and other retailers) also have an interest in selling as much content as possible, and thus would prefer you buy a machine on which you can play both Blu-ray films and PlayStation 3 games. That way, they potentially get twice as many sales out of you as they might out of somebody who buys a stand-alone Blu-ray player. Thus, "Look, PS3. Doesn't this look shiny and awesome? Don't you want to buy one after seeing it display Blu-ray movies?"[/quote]

Jeez, I was convinced I was getting a good deal. A blu-ray player and current gen gaming console for $500. What a sucker I am!

actually, best buy had an awesome deal on a ps3 about a month or so before christmas. buy a sony 46v2500 for and score a free playstation 3. don't remember if it was the 40 or 80 gb, but either way an awesome way to score both an awesome hd tv and free ps3 to boot

Aren't you glad we have all these friendly people here eager to remind you about the forum rules?

On the other hand, you've been a member of CAG since July. You should know better.

[quote name='dinovelvet']ZOMG gonna go to CC gonna buy all their copies and sell on ebayz lol pwned[/QUOTE]

A baby kitten dies when you post stupid shit like this

[quote name='Twilight Wolf']actually, best buy had an awesome deal on a ps3 about a month or so before christmas. buy a sony 46v2500 for and score a free playstation 3. don't remember if it was the 40 or 80 gb, but either way an awesome way to score both an awesome hd tv and free ps3 to boot[/quote]

You're exactly the customer that deal was targeted at: the one who thinks "free PS3!" and not "and I'm paying list price for an older model TV that can be had at a discount nearly everywhere." Fry's sells that TV for $1499 every week, and even Circuit City had it for $1530 a couple of weeks ago. So you could also look at it as "I'm getting a decent price on an older model TV, and paying full price for a PS3."

To be fair, I think the deal included their setup service as well, so if you were going to pay (and trust) those people to hook up your system for you and maybe have a go at your drywall anyway, then it was more of a deal.

[quote name='gantt']You're exactly the customer that deal was targeted at: the one who thinks "free PS3!" and not "and I'm paying list price for an older model TV that can be had at a discount nearly everywhere." Fry's sells that TV for $1499 every week, and even Circuit City had it for $1530 a couple of weeks ago. So you could also look at it as "I'm getting a decent price on an older model TV, and paying full price for a PS3."

To be fair, I think the deal included their setup service as well, so if you were going to pay (and trust) those people to hook up your system for you and maybe have a go at your drywall anyway, then it was more of a deal.[/quote]
what an awesome response.

for your information i actually own a kdl40xbr4.

and older model is a bit subjective. the v2500 is a kickass tv that does 1080p. i highly doubt a 1080p 46" sony is exactly an "older" model as your put it. weak. the tv actually hit retail october last year. and it's probably better than what the average consumer will go out and buy

[quote name='shotcaller88']Jeez, I was convinced I was getting a good deal. A blu-ray player and current gen gaming console for $500. What a sucker I am![/quote]

No need to turn this thread into a Blu-Ray and PS3 fanboy pissing match versus those who think they should have a game system that, ya know, plays games and isn't loaded up with extra shit they may never use.

For what ya get, yeah it is a deal, but for those like me and SackAttack possibly who may not play dvds on our GAME systems, the fact that it plays some new shiny dvd type is worthless.

Just my two cents, as usual.

And, as far as game system discounts go, if you can find games that trade in for higher values than you paid for them and repeat that multiple times, you can give yourself a discount on a game system.

To put this in perspective, somewhat, I work at CircuitCity. Typically, for our discounts we get stuff at "store cost". Basically, we don't get a damn thing off systems. For example: retail on a Pro/Premium 360= $349.99. CircuitCity employee price=$349.52.

Most places don't make money on the consoles they sell. That's why they never go on sale and are the same price everywhere. Only the Wii makes people money out the gate, and those sell so fast don't expect them to be on sale untill 09.

The best you can hope for at a B&M store if a free pack in game/remote or movie.

Every once and a while an online store like Amazon/buy.com/Overstock may have a discount coupon that works on a console. But those deals are usually pretty rare.

I got 10% off on my 360 like 4 months after the 360 launch. I jumped on that deal like alot of other CAGs.

Only 'deals' I ever really got on consoles happened 2 times. One was from info given to me by briansraregames from CAG and was a $10 PSone/LCD combo from Kmart on clearance.

The other instance was my one slim PStwo, which I got with credit that I scored by trading in copies of a game called Powerdrome Racing for PS2. It was $3-4 @ Gamestop, but got $13-14 in credit @ FYE. I must've traded in 12-13 copies of it, but over time it ended up giving me enough to get a slim PStwo.

Even better was the fact that the slim PStwo from them had a $30 rebate at that time, so I got $30 back(after about 6 months of aggravation, their rebate fulfillment people suck). They ended up paying me my rebate @ store level, since every time I called their fulfillment people, they told me I had sent in for a $3 CD rebate. Funnier still was, I received a rebate check(looked like a postcard) finally @ the 7 month point, which I didn't even hesitate and cashed for all the time/aggravation of having to wait for their dumbasses to send me my rebate in the first place.

So, in the end, I got the slim PStwo for free, since the games I traded to get it didn't cost $60 total.

bread's done
Back