Does it drive you crazy knowing people are paying full price for your presents?

Pureshooter

CAGiversary!
I usually ask for blu-rays and video games for Christmas from my wife. She always requires a list and that's fine. But it drives me bonkers knowing she probably just walks to Gamestop to pay $60 + tax for a game she could probably snag for $40 on Black Friday or just patiently waiting for a Lightning Deal, etc. I'll tell her to look around and bide her time to get the best deal, but I'm sure it doesn't happen. It makes me just want to buy the damn things myself.

No. I mean for my girlfriend I'll help her with pointing her toward deals and she does the same for me.

But beyond that, I don't really care.

Not really. I could see it possibly bothering me if it was my spouse or if the difference was a large large amount of money.

Yea bothers me cuz I am grateful I'm givin a gift but hope it comes at the least amount of expense from my family friends or gf because they work hard for their money .

WAT I do is include a place to buy each item on my list or choose items that almost never drop more than a few bucks from msrp .

Yeah, it does a little. I try to point my mom in the direction of any deal that comes up for anything my brother and I would ask for, but with other relatives it's harder. For example my grandma gave me a gift over Thanksgiving because I won't see her at Xmas. She got me Red Dead Redemption and I'm sure she paid full price for it when it was going for as low as 29.99 over Black Friday Weekend. So yeah I feel a little bad that she spent more money than she had to.

Yea sometimes when I'm browsing for games in Walmart or Best Buy, I look at the prices and shudder as I think of all the people around me buying them at full price. But then I remember that the only way we CAGs can get our deals is because these uninformed customers are keeping the industry nice and full of cash.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']It bugs me, that's why whenever I give anyone a list I put in parenthesis where it's cheaper to buy it at.[/QUOTE]

^^^
Heh I also do this. Usually with a time range of when the sale is going on.

Yes. I especially hate when my parents buy something for me. At this point if they want to get me something I insist on buying it and just having them pay me for it. It takes the "fun" out of it but I'll take my parents not wasting money over fun at this point.

It does bother me for some reason I can't put my finger on. Probably because friends and family do work extremely hard for their money and the value of things I am interested in like games and certain comics trades fluctuates greatly. That's why I just don't tell them anything I'm interested in and hope for gift cards in return, which I can then maximize the value of during sales.

Plus if a sale or Lightning Deal pops up for a game I want for $15 I'm probably going to throw down on it, which makes it pointless to put it on a list of possible presents for someone.

Yes it does. I usually recommend them shopping on Amazon or something. When I ask for gifts, I ask for them in the form of giftcards.

Yes, very much so. It's like watching them waste money. I became so worried over them spending MSRP on my game gifts I just put games that either aren't receiving many deals (Sly Collection, Metro 2033) or that if they did buy at MSRP they would only lose $10 max compared to an easily findable deal. It also bugs me how I see deals for games on my wish list, BUT I CAN'T BUY THEM because I don't know if somebody already bought them for me for Christmas. (and I know they don't keep receipts unless it was a last minute purchase even though I told them to keep them this year) That's not to say I don't help them find deals, I told them about he B1G1 50% off at Toys R Us and they didn't go. =(

Needless to say I removed a lot of games from my wishlist that I wanted knowing they would spend MSRP to buy them. (Singularity, Alpha Protocol, Kane and Lynch 2)

[quote name='Pureshooter']I usually ask for blu-rays and video games for Christmas from my wife. She always requires a list and that's fine. But it drives me bonkers knowing she probably just walks to Gamestop to pay $60 + tax for a game she could probably snag for $40 on Black Friday or just patiently waiting for a Lightning Deal, etc. I'll tell her to look around and bide her time to get the best deal, but I'm sure it doesn't happen. It makes me just want to buy the damn things myself.[/QUOTE]

Yea it actually does! Especially when my step sis and bro both chipped in to get me the Simpsons movie on Bluray for $37. F that! I didn't really want it either.

Yeah it does, like others I really do all the work for them by giving various cheap places to get the stuff and of course give the list way in advance so they can choose whatever shipping they want instead of expedited. I've also pulled the screw it give me a give card route before .

[quote name='dannyox718']Yea sometimes when I'm browsing for games in Walmart or Best Buy, I look at the prices and shudder as I think of all the people around me buying them at full price. But then I remember that the only way we CAGs can get our deals is because these uninformed customers are keeping the industry nice and full of cash.[/QUOTE]

Very true indeed. It's because of the rich that don't care and poor without internet or credit or bank card to shop online who are forced to pay full price at retail that us CAG's can buy it cheaper!

Just today a friend said he wanted RE5 Gold Edition badly but didn't want to pay the price at the local FYE (which is fucking above MSRP). I used CAG to find it on newegg and he was psyched to buy it! Score one for the cheap guys.

FYE in my town sucks balls. It's the only spot to buy games really, so anything remotely new goes for 62.99 + tax. It makes me sick just to walk in there and see people browsing at used games for $35+ Friggin Heavenly Sword was $35...crazy bastards.

No, but I'll usually just ask for stuff that I see is on sale at the moment so they can just buy it right then and there to be done with it.

Sometimes. I Say this mostly due in part that my uncle ALWAYS gets me the worst, cheapest movies he can find. Last Christmas I received this
028631-d0.jpg
and I would've gladly taken nothing instead. Though on the plus side I did donate that and a few other terrible movies me and my family got to the library. I'm pretty sure they hate us for it in someway.

[quote name='KaneRobot'] At this point if they want to get me something I insist on buying it and just having them pay me for it. [/QUOTE]

...and then you can have them pay you "full MSRP" and make some extra holiday cash. :lol::applause:

As bad as it is, I always think of gifts in terms of opportunity cost. People generally have a preset amount they are going to spend, so you want to maximize the value they get for your benefit as well. If I ask for a game that is $60 that's a lot of other games (opportunities) that you're shutting out.

I generally try to pick things that I don't expect to go down in price much in the future (like game hardware, controllers, limited editions, etc), or I pick gifts that are universally cheap and I would buy them myself at that price . Since I wouldn't buy most games at full price, I don't generally ask for full price games, when I could ask for multiple cheap games. All of the people shopping for me aren't cheapassgamers like me, so they are probably going to buy gifts at full price regardless of what I ask for.

Lately I've been pointing my mom to some of the deals on amazon, or I add something to my amazon wish list with a price that she should look to spend. That way she knows a good price and doesn't get ripped off.

I'm much better at finding deals myself, so I do like getting gift cards, but I generally hate the idea of gift cards, dedicating a set amount of money to one particular store. It's a huge racket for stores, because many of them go unclaimed. Plus when some stores are going out of business a lot of them have stopped accepting gift cards during the close out clearance.

Not really. I sometimes pay retail for gifts,but it isn't a whole lot of money anyway. This year I got some tv shows on dvd for pretty cheap at walmart for my parents this year. I spent around 65 bucks on mom/dad. There the only ones I ever buy anything for. I usually don't spend this much on them,but I had more money this year than the past couple of years.

[quote name='AtomicTeaspoon']My wife buys me things and then tells me how she got a good deal on it. I consider that to be part of the gift

No one buys me videogames for presents. They know if I like a game I probably already have it. And if I don't have it it's probably because I don't want it.

My wife and I will usually get a present together that we can both use. For example when we moved a couple of years ago we got a nice LCD television. This year for example we're getting one of those Kitchenaid Artisan mixers for the kitchen.

My friends all figured out that it did drive me crazy, so now they just give me cash or gift cards. On the flip side they always love the presents I give them because I get such great deals.

There used to be a time when I did get a bit troubled by such things. But the price difference in the end doesn't really take away the thoughts behind the gift-getting. Sure, noone deserves to pay the full price for games when they don't have to but then again, video gaming is an expensive hobby to begin with. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter as long as the person giving and the person receiving are both happy.

Yeah it bugs me. If it's family I relly don't want them wasting money, that's why I tell them never to buy me games.

My b-day was a week ago and my brother bought me Metroid: Other M for full price. I haven't even had the chance to open it yet. A few days ago I see it preowned on GF for $14.99. *facepalm*

A couple of years ago my then gf got me a game for Christmas(Rise Of The Argonauts, which I wanted at the time:roll:) and she kept telling me how good of a deal she got on it.

I just imagined her going in to Best Buy or wherever and just paying MSRP for it and shuddered.

She also got me a $50 or so gift card to BB that same year.

I felt so bad since most of her Christmas presents cost me about half of what she got me cost, but I didn't feel quite so bad once I got to see her real personality and realized we probably wouldn't be together in six months.:razz:

My GF sent me this thread lol.

It bugs the $*!+ out of me. Her mom insists on buying me stuff, even if I don't want it, which further bugs me, on top of her paying MSRP.

The holidays already bug me. I'm not in need, and don't need people giving me gifts. I want to tell them to give me money to donate to Child's Play or a no kill shelter.

It sucks even more because the things I want that aren't on the list aren't exactly presents good to have someone give me, such as this figure I currently really want:
http://www.hlj.com/product/ALT20245

Her mom got my Knights in the Nightmare on DS on my birthday in 2009, which was a great choice, considering that it's rare and maintained its value. But I wouldn't want them getting me something like FIFA11 or Sengoku Basara or Ninety Nine Nights 2 or something at full price, because those things will drop within a year.

In short, I'd much rather have gift cards, so I can buy what I want myself when the price is right, but they feel like they're making me happier paying MSRP or something.

What I do is give a list of games in the $20-30 greatest/platinum hits range.

We are so damned programed by the games media to play whatever the game of the week is right F-N now but for most games, content wise, they simply aren't worth release-day prices.

You also have to realize that the same people peer-pressuring us into those $60 purchases don't have to pay for a lot of their games.

YES !! Bastards could buy me 3 times as many games if they shopped around a little :( will have to get them to sign upto CAG lol

HAHA! This is a great thread, because I do indeed get bugged by it. But ever since I discovered CAG, I basically point people in the right direction. Might take a little bit of the surprise factor out of gift-giving, but hell, I get way more stuff now.

excellent thread. People buying things at MSRP or not even caring to look for deals is my pet peeve. I had to point out exactly what I wanted for xmas to my lady because "the deal" is part of the gift! It's really one of the best feelings when you get something you want and it was a awesome deal. Probably not the same feeling as opening a unknown xmas present on xmas but I'd say it's pretty close.

Mhm, it does indeed. I generally do what others do and point the way, listing end times and whatnot for multiple auctions that are prime to bid in. Sadly though there is only so much you can do.

I guess it never hurts to get a brand new game. You're then sure it won't begin to disc rot for a long time.

bread's done
Back