Does Microsoft still offer a 3 year warranty for the RROD?

your best bet is, buy it from Best Buy and purchase the extended warranty which I think is 1 year unconditional 2 year something, and 3 year something else. they basically replace it for whatever reason, even if you dropped it into your toilet. (I asked the service rep she said yes but read the fine print). It'll cost you $9.99 for the 1st year, up to $39.99 for 3.

The slims are SUPPOSED to be more reliable than the original. Although they haven't been out long enough to test this claim yet.

The slim can not get the RROD as the ring of light no longer can turn red. I think I've heard that when a slim 360 fails, the center dot of light turns red.

I know there is no reason to have faith in MS, but I really think (hope) they built the slim to last. The extended warranty on the first 360 cost them 1 billion dollars. I really think (hope) they designed the new one to last.

[quote name='100xp']your best bet is, buy it from Best Buy and purchase the extended warranty which I think is 1 year unconditional 2 year something, and 3 year something else. they basically replace it for whatever reason, even if you dropped it into your toilet. (I asked the service rep she said yes but read the fine print). It'll cost you $9.99 for the 1st year, up to $39.99 for 3.[/QUOTE]Incorrect.

They used to have the PRP (Product Replacement Plan), which is a one-use warranty extension, which would give you purchase price + tax towards the purchase of a new item.

Now, they have the Geek Squad Black Tie Protection plan, where they fix it and if they can't fix it four times in the life of the warranty, they give you a replacement console. Info at this link:

http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-plans/black-tie-protection/gaming-black-tie-protection.aspx

[quote name='100xp']your best bet is, buy it from Best Buy and purchase the extended warranty which I think is 1 year unconditional 2 year something, and 3 year something else. they basically replace it for whatever reason, even if you dropped it into your toilet. (I asked the service rep she said yes but read the fine print). It'll cost you $9.99 for the 1st year, up to $39.99 for 3.[/QUOTE]

I can assure you, it does not cover accidental damage.

[quote name='shrike4242']Incorrect.

They used to have the PRP (Product Replacement Plan), which is a one-use warranty extension, which would give you purchase price + tax towards the purchase of a new item.

Now, they have the Geek Squad Black Tie Protection plan, where they fix it and if they can't fix it four times in the life of the warranty, they give you a replacement console. Info at this link:

http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-plans/black-tie-protection/gaming-black-tie-protection.aspx[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks, that's not any better than dealing with MS service.

glad i said, "i think" vs "i know for a fact" :) (bases covered) and of course, thanks for the correction. (not sarcasm)

So my 360 has suffered from a RRoD but it's out of the 3 year warranty.

If I send it in for repair ($100), does anyone know what kind of warranty that will come with?

Thanks

I think I got a Squaretrade warranty for my new slim for 3 years with ADH for about $50. I know there are many who love it and swear by it and some that hate just like any service out there.

[quote name='jkimrey']So my 360 has suffered from a RRoD but it's out of the 3 year warranty.

If I send it in for repair ($100), does anyone know what kind of warranty that will come with?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but did you get the same console back (matching serial number)?

shieryda,

Sorry - I haven't sent it back yet; not sure if I'm going to or just get a new one.

[quote name='shieryda']Just curious, but did you get the same console back (matching serial number)?[/QUOTE]

FWIW I sent my unit in about a month ago and I received back the same unit I sent out (serial #'s matched). But I don't think there is a guarantee for this.

P.S. excuse the rant but what is the point of the whole "the slims can't get RROD" thing? I mean it's just stupid semantics- the slims can't get RROD because it lacks a ring of lights. That does not mean that the new slims are somehow now immune but suddenly susceptible to the soon-to-be infamous "RDOD".

RROD, as I have always interpreted it, refers to the failure of the CPU/GPU, most likely due to faulty soldering. And the term RROD has become more generalized to mean this type of 360 failure. That it is not literally a ring of lights anymore has nothing to do with the problem, rather more to do with the design of the console and its propensity for solder pad failure.

Anyways sorry for the rant.

Ruahrc

Well I bought a Holiday bundle with Forza and Alan Wake for $260 out the door in California since Microsoft store sent me a 20% off coupon. Thanks for the replies.

[quote name='Cephiros']I think I got a Squaretrade warranty for my new slim for 3 years with ADH for about $50. I know there are many who love it and swear by it and some that hate just like any service out there.[/QUOTE]

I use Squaretrade on all my electronics and also recommend them. Haven't used it on my 360 though since I'm still on the replaced 360 that I got from support last year.

[quote name='shrike4242']
[/QUOTE]
Those who sell warranties frequently lie about this. I know someone who got suckered into a warranty at Fry's. The guy said, "You drop it. Someone steals it. We'll replace it." Well, it actually broke on its own due to a well-known defect and they denied her warranty coverage. They bank their success on people not wanting to stand up for themselves because they have busy lives.

Never, ever buy a warranty.

A guy I know always buys the warranty, and yes, he did "save" money when his cheap ass laptop broke.

After he boasted about it to me, I counted up what he actually spent on warranties over the years (TVs, computers, game systems, etc.). The result was that if he had simply not purchased warranties and replaced his broken laptop out of his own pocket, he would have not only broken even, but would have come out ahead by 100 dollars.

+1 on the accidental damage. I don't think the vast majority of in-store warranties cover that. If employees give you this info, ask for a copy of the warranty terms to verify the actual coverage and if necessary, call them on their BS. In fact you could/should report it to the store manager. Selling the warranties under false pretenses is arguably fraud and they could/should get nailed big time for it.

bread's done
Back