Does PS3 Backup Restore Wipe Destination Drive?

gubmccargen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
I've been all over Google and I can't find the answer to this. If anyone has any knowledge about it I appreciate it.

Somewhere along the line of upgrading my old 60GB fat PS3 to a bigger hard drive, then a second bigger hard drive, then finally a slim my old game data got lost in the shuffle. Lo and behold, today I found an old full backup I did through the backup utility on an external hard drive. It should have a bunch of saves that would be fun to have back and I thought were totally lost.

The thing is I've used the current PS3 lots in the meantime and have tons of new games and everything on it. I want to restore the backup but the key question to me is: Does restoring a backup through the system utility wipe out the destination drive in the PS3 to put it there or does it just add the backup data to it?

If there's a chance it could wipe it or reformat the existing drive to restore the backup I wouldn't consider it. Maybe the system prompts tell you that when you get started but I'm afraid to try. Does anyone happen to know this for sure? The backup files are in full archived .dat format so there aren't individual files I can take from it.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Nevermind, just watched a video of a restore and, yes, it says before restoring all data on the hard disk will be erase. Bites. My follow-up would then be is there any way to uncompress those backup files and grab saves outside of a PS3? That's probably highly unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
nope you are pretty much SOL as some saves are Copy protected this is the only way to get them. 

Its not a solid NO I guess as if you know how to code you could probably in some way get them back but probably would take a while even then

bread's done
Back