Does this look suspicious to an insurance company?

Paco

CAGiversary!
Ok I just recently sold a logitech harmony remote control. The item was fully tested and working before I listed it and AFTER I listed it. I package it up and then send it to the people who bought it. They receive the remote and contact me saying the remote is not working. Since it was rather hot and electronics don't function properly if left in the heat or cold too long, I told them to wait a day and let it get to room temperature before attempting to use the item again.

Two days pass and then they contact me again saying that the item is still not working. I file the insurance claim with Shipcover and Shipcover approves my insurance claim. I get the money back and promptly refund the buyer.

This one is from an earlier item. Sold it on June 20th didn't ship until the 27th because I ran out of boxes and the store ran out of boxes. Had to wait for them to restock a particular size. I send tracking information and nine days after they sent payment they send a dispute on paypal saying they haven't received their item. They're in France and no shipping is going to get there in seven business days unless it's express. I go through the motions and give them my tracking number. I contact the guy through e-mail, through ebay's message system and by paypal's notes. The buyer does not contact me back until three weeks later right before the dispute is about to close and then he escalates it saying item still isn't here.

Ebay states that if a dispute is opened that the dispute can be used as evidence for an insurance claim with Shipcover. The item has not been delivered yet and it's almost been a month. I can file the insurance claim with Shipcover on the 28th, but does it make me look suspicious or bad for filing two insurance claims within a two week period? The first one was for a damaged item and this one would be for an item lost in the mail.

I'm not sure on this to be honest. I don't want to lose the money because I sent it, and it got lost by the post office. I file insurance on all packages that I can't afford to pay out of my own pocket.

Does this honestly look suspicious? Am I paranoid? I hate filing insurance claims and after a ton of packages, this is my second time actually filing with them. They paid quickly the first time, but would it be suspicious to file a second claim so quickly? I just don't want to be out my money.

Doesn't seem suspicious to me, that's what you're using the service for after all. Does the tracking info show a successful delivery? if you have tracking information to prove you shipped the item but it never arrived there should be no question of the validity of the claim.

[quote name='sevenfold']Doesn't seem suspicious to me, that's what you're using the service for after all. Does the tracking info show a successful delivery? if you have tracking information to prove you shipped the item but it never arrived there should be no question of the validity of the claim.[/QUOTE]

Yes I used tracking info.

Item is still shown in Florida. I shipped it out on the 27th of June and for a while it had no initial scan "post office screw up." It got scanned in at Miami Florida on July 7th and never got scanned again. I don't know if it's still sitting in Miami, or if it's in customs or what. Usually when it reaches overseas customs, it gets scanned again. Item has not been delivered yet and that's what the buyer is complaining about. Filing the case nine days or seven business days after payment stating that item is not received.

[quote name='Paco']Yes I used tracking info.

Item is still shown in Florida. I shipped it out on the 27th of June and for a while it had no initial scan "post office screw up." It got scanned in at Miami Florida on July 7th and never got scanned again. I don't know if it's still sitting in Miami, or if it's in customs or what. Usually when it reaches overseas customs, it gets scanned again. Item has not been delivered yet and that's what the buyer is complaining about. Filing the case nine days or seven business days after payment stating that item is not received.[/QUOTE]

Overseas shipping is always a dicey proposition. Who knows if the French mail carrier scanned the item when it was delivered? Many, many out-of-country scammers use a similar ploy to get free items. I stopped shipping out of the USA years ago because of this.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Overseas shipping is always a dicey proposition. Who knows if the French mail carrier scanned the item when it was delivered? Many, many out-of-country scammers use a similar ploy to get free items. I stopped shipping out of the USA years ago because of this.[/QUOTE]
I had a friend get stuck in the same position, since then we generally stay in the U.S. on eBay, sites like this I'd do Canada with a good trader.

bread's done
Back