Does this mean my computer is dieing?

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I usually always just sleep my computer but when it is shut down and starts back up it freezes on a blue screen with the HP logo and the options of "F1=Set Up F10 = System Recovery". It takes about 10+ reboots till it doesn't display that screen and goes to the usual desktop. What is the problem? I'm not tech savy at all so any help is much appreciated. I just didn't know if this is a sign of a soon to be dead PC.
Many thanks for any help.

I didn't try that as I didn't know what all that entails. I didn't know if that would lead me to have to load everything back on my PC. What would that let me do?
Thanks.

Do you have Vista or XP? Either way, do you have an XP or Vista disk(Whichever you have installed)? If so, I can give you some steps that would help you out(via a repair).

Otherwise, how long has it been doing this?
And hitting F1 would open up the BIOS, which would allow you to do some things...... but don't worry too much about that if you don't have to.

I would like to know if the computer is hung at that screen or if it is still responding.

Hitting F1 will let you access the system BIOS which you can then just exit out of without making any changes.

It sounds like normally what happens is that you get the HP splash screen and then Windows boots. One thing you might want to change in the BIOS is to show the messages from the POST (Power On Self Test) that is going on behind the scenes while your PC is just showing you the HP logo.

Every BIOS is a little different, but there is probably a setting in there to get it to show all of the messages from the POST instead of the HP splash screen. These messages may give you a clue as to what is going on.

I have XP. It has been happening for about 3-4 months but since I mostly sleep my computer I rarely encuonter it. It also doesn't happen every time I start it up. I am a serious tech newb so messing with the BIOS sounds like I might do more damage than good. Thanks for the input though.

So, it just happens on sleep mode? Try disabling the "Shut hard drive down" on your PC first and see if the crashes continue. Also, make sure you have checked your system for viruses and that your hard drive is not fragmented.

Just to let you know that I had similar problems in the past. The first, I narrowed it to a memory problem. It would keep crashing on the blue screen and took several times to get it to work. Had to replace the ram as it seems one was going janky.

I had the problem with another computer and it was the motherboard. And the cost of redoing everything is the cost of buying a new low-end computer (which I ended up doing...actually bought a cheap $399 Compaq Presario laptop which had more power and more drive space).

Anyway, hope it's nothing too major but just in case, just don't forget to backup your data.

bread's done
Back