Does this sound like a good idea?

gofishn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I really want to be able to play my now broken (and warrantyless) 360 by the 18th when I'll be home from school after finals. From what I understand, MS is extremely bad with turnaround time on repairs, so here's my idea:

I think I'm going to sell my broken 360 on eBay with the component cables and power brick but not the hard drive. Then I'll buy a new 360 premium from Overstock for $360, and sell off the hard drive and wireless controller.

By my estimates a broken 360 w/ cords will bring in $150-200, the 20 GB hard drive about $40-60 and the controller at $25-35. So best case scenario I make $295, and in a bad scenario I make $215. Buying a brand new 360 from Overstock.com would be $360. Best case scenario I'm out $65 and have a brand new 360, worst case I'm out $145, which is just a little more than MS wants to charge me for a repair. So what do you all think?

Turnaround time for repairs isn't so bad, just send yours in today. Mine took about a week and a half. Whats wrong with it?

Was yours manufactured in 2005? All of those units had their warranties extended to one year, for free.

No mine is from April of this year. I have the dreaded 3 lights of death - error code 0102. Every once and a while it will work again for a brief period of time, but eventually it will freeze.

Too much of a hassle, you'll probably regret it later. Send it in for repair and next time buy the warranty.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Too much of a hassle, you'll probably regret it later. Send it in for repair and next time buy the warranty.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right. I actually meant to buy the warranty, I forgot about it and by the time I remembered it was too late. It just kills me to have to pay $130 to get it fixed and another $60 for the warranty.

[quote name='gofishn']You're probably right. I actually meant to buy the warranty, I forgot about it and by the time I remembered it was too late. It just kills me to have to pay $130 to get it fixed and another $60 for the warranty.[/QUOTE]

If you're patient, you can buy the warranty now, and then send in your 360 once you get it. You're at the mercy of the warranty turnaround time though.. reconnect with your old consoles? :)

Ugh, just called them and they want $139.90 to fix it with no guarantees that it will actually be fixed, only another 90 day warranty. This is complete BS, I think I'm going to go through with it by selling the old one and buying a new one.

If you can get that much for a broken 360 than that's probably your best option... $139 with no guarantee that it'll work is ridiculous.

[quote name='gofishn']Ugh, just called them and they want $139.90 to fix it with no guarantees that it will actually be fixed, only another 90 day warranty. This is complete BS, I think I'm going to go through with it by selling the old one and buying a new one.[/QUOTE]
Of course its guaranteed to work, if it comes with another 90 day warranty.

What they don't promise is that your specific console will be fixed, you could be sent a working refurb console as a replacement.

bread's done
Back