Donald Sterling Spouts Off

Well what is worse.. the owner (senator) making racist comments in private or the operations representative (mayor) making them in public (loud and proud)?

We (I) may lack appreciation of "scale" but seems like you're struggling with context.
The owner, because of his position of power. Even if he's just telling it to some idiot gold digger he's nailing, those views are out, from a powerful person, and the individual hearing them would feel much more intimidated than some podunk major running around blaming everything on the Jews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot news stories that mention - repeatedly - that the guy's Jewish.

Does the fact he's Jewish relate to the story in some way?

Do you feel uncomfortable because you think you don't have anything in common with them and thus feel ostracized? Then no, not really.

Do you feel uncomfortable because they're all wearing hoodies? Then yes.
Hoodies trigger me. Check your hoodie privilege.

So let me get this straight, guy makes off-color comment in private and gets banned for life. Nevermind the fact he has owned the team for ages without any issue and was a NAACP contributor. Yet pretty much every NBA player spouts all sorts of bigoted nonsense in public and have questionable tattoos far worse that what Sterling said, and they are OK? Yeesh. This was a witch-hunt, pure and simple.
Except this particular witch was busted cackling over his cauldron.

I'm troubled by the idea that the NBA could force a sale. A lot of rich people are assholes...he is racist but it doesn't appear he discriminated.

And yes I understand the Leagues reasoning and rational but it doesn't hold up when the NBA lets a lot of shit slide

I'm troubled by the idea that the NBA could force a sale. A lot of rich people are assholes...he is racist but it doesn't appear he discriminated.

And yes I understand the Leagues reasoning and rational but it doesn't hold up when the NBA lets a lot of shit slide
My only guess is that somewhere in his ownership agreement with the league there's a morality-type clause that lets them force an owner to sell their team in the event of some type of extreme behavior by the owner. If not though, this could lead to some very interesting litigation.

The league has to have some measure of control though, after all they can contract the league and eliminate a team altogether.

Apparently the only place where you can be racist and spout highly bigoted/stereotypical views and pass laws that promote discrimination, is to join the Republican party and enter public office...

Sure Sterling went off on a angry rant against his sugarbaby.

And yes if it wasn't for Sterling those Clippers would be on the homeless line, like it or not, if it wasn't for Sterling those guys wouldn't even have all the fancy houses, cars, cash or popularity ... not saying his rant is ok but come'on he wasn't really wrong about it either..

Stom Thurman and Jesse Helms had long long long careers in gov't where their actions have continually hurt minorities and yet thats ok...  go farking figure

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/ucla-rejects-donald-sterling-s--3-million-gift-for-kidney-research-at-the-school-213615078.html

Apparently Sterling had pledged 3 million to UCLA for kidney research of which he had already given 425,000 and UCLA is now publicly stating that they are returning the donation. 

And to make this more weird---there was an ad in the weekend newspaper thanking Sterling (and his wife) but apparently it wasn't paid for by UCLA---it was paid for by Sterling?

If I was UCLA I'd have kept the money...principles don't find cures for kidney disease

Apparently the only place where you can be racist and spout highly bigoted/stereotypical views and pass laws that promote discrimination, is to join the Republican party and enter public office...

Sure Sterling went off on a angry rant against his sugarbaby.

And yes if it wasn't for Sterling those Clippers would be on the homeless line, like it or not, if it wasn't for Sterling those guys wouldn't even have all the fancy houses, cars, cash or popularity ... not saying his rant is ok but come'on he wasn't really wrong about it either..

Stom Thurman and Jesse Helms had long long long careers in gov't where their actions have continually hurt minorities and yet thats ok... go farking figure
I kind of missed you. Welcome back.

My only guess is that somewhere in his ownership agreement with the league there's a morality-type clause that lets them force an owner to sell their team in the event of some type of extreme behavior by the owner. If not though, this could lead to some very interesting litigation.

The league has to have some measure of control though, after all they can contract the league and eliminate a team altogether.
That's the thing. I've read a couple of different articles, and it seems like opinion on this particular matter is split. Some experts think the league can do it; others don't. Because the by-laws are not public, it's hard for us to know exactly what is in them, but by all accounts, there is no concrete mechanism in place to oust an owner, except for financial reasons.

Appropriate meme I saw on Reddit.

fpIWf3K.png
The very existence of the meme negates its premise.

I also think Silver had no choice....apparently the players were willing to shut down the ENTIRE playoffs if the league didn't remove Sterling.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot news stories that mention - repeatedly - that the guy's Jewish.

Does the fact he's Jewish relate to the story in some way?
It relates because he's a bigot and is actually a Jew. It helps combat the stereotype that racist or prejudiced Jews don't exist.

I don't know about you but I've gotten the vibe in the media a Messiah vibe about Jews: Christ was the Messiah, ipso facto, Jewish people can't be racist or prejudiced.

That bullshit needs to stop, prejudiced and bigoted people come from all stripes and we need to act like that. Just because of the Holocaust we or some have chosen to put Jews on a pedestal, treating them all as if they're infallible and it fucking needs to stop.

I don't understand how this has been national news for a week.  It is about as important as the duck dynasty guy saying whatever he said at the time (and I honestly can't remember what it was cause lets be real who gives a fuck).  Don't we have more important things to worry about then who is paying guys to throw a little circle at a slightly bigger circle?

I don't understand how this has been national news for a week. It is about as important as the duck dynasty guy saying whatever he said at the time (and I honestly can't remember what it was cause lets be real who gives a fuck). Don't we have more important things to worry about then who is paying guys to throw a little circle at a slightly bigger circle?
WTF is "duck dynasty?" A prime time soap opera with ducks?

Also, I believe that it's actually a little SPHERE going into a slightly bigger circle. It's the little things that count...

bread's done
Back