Don't be too much of a CheapAss - counterfeit DS games....

pfp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Just thought I should bring the community's attention to this, for your own good. If you, being a CAG or eBay veteran know all this, then we can hope that I'm reaching one person who doesn't.

While pricing some games out - DS specifically, at the moment, searching both completed and active auctions, I found some BIN's that were significantly lower than "going rate".

The addage "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" applies here - and most of the time, the BIN price is very obviously lower than the "going eBay rate".

The primary trends I found across these items were the following:

Shipped directly from Hong Kong.
Seller's feedback high, but not 100%.
Upon digging through feedback for negs, at least one buyer stated "this is a counterfeit game" (duh!)
A lot of feedback, in a very short time (new seller, but has over 600 feedback in a month).

Another trend with those items is they use stock photos rather than actual pictures. I'm not saying everyone that uses stock photos is trying to sell a counterfeit game (I use stock photos a lot myself), just read the description very carefully if a stock photo is used, and make sure it's not originating from Honk Kong.

It might be helpful to list specific games that are commonly sold on EBay and are bootlegs. For example, I saw a ton of Mario Hoops 3 on 3 originating from Hong Kong. I think Tetris DS and the Castlevania titles are also frequently bootlegged.

I just did a search on Mario Hoops, crazy how almost all are bootlegs. I am convinced EBay doesn't care since they still get money for the listing and final value fees. I don't even bother reporting them anymore since EBay never pulls the ones I report.

Yeah the DS market is no longer available for me to sell/buy in due to bootlegs. GBA was also ruined in teh same sense, and I've seen fake Gameboy Color carts to. Not sure about NES, SNES or fake N64 carts.

Dreamcast was another one.

I haven't looking into XBox or PS2 games, and have yet to see a fake 360 or PS3 game. Though I thought I remember reading about a Wii game here and there.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeah the DS market is no longer available for me to sell/buy in due to bootlegs. GBA was also ruined in teh same sense, and I've seen fake Gameboy Color carts to. Not sure about NES, SNES or fake N64 carts.

Dreamcast was another one.

I haven't looking into XBox or PS2 games, and have yet to see a fake 360 or PS3 game. Though I thought I remember reading about a Wii game here and there.[/QUOTE]

The difference is you need a modded system to play backup Ps2, wii or X360 games. There is currently no PS3 backup

Yeah, you really gotta read feedback. Even if it takes a long time. I wound up with a pirate copy of Kirby for the GBA from a guy who was in California. But, when I sent him my Paypal payment, I saw he had what I could assume was a Hong Kong or some kind of Asian name. Sure enough, it was a pirate.

[quote name='Josef']It might be helpful to list specific games that are commonly sold on EBay and are bootlegs. For example, I saw a ton of Mario Hoops 3 on 3 originating from Hong Kong. I think Tetris DS and the Castlevania titles are also frequently bootlegged.[/QUOTE]

I was pricing out a DS collection for a quote, and I think virtually every game in the lot I saw at least 1 bootleg copy going for significantly less than "going rate" on the game.

You'd think Nintendo would be all over tracking down these factories and suing their balls off or something..ESPECIALLY Nintendo, who historically refused to sell games through retailers that sold unlicensed.

I bought my girlfriend two games from a hong kong power seller, before I joined this site, and one the games dont come in the original ds case, the booklet is completely different. & for some reason the game itself is a little different compared to the original, I tried getting in contact with ebay but the seller is no longer registered.

I learned my lesson though...

and btw the games were COOKING MAMA 2 & TETRIS

bread's done
Back