Don't ship DLC cards on ebay

davyd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Ridiculous eBay story time...

Sold a Banjo-Kazooie code on ebay about a month ago. Normally when I sell a code people just opt to have the code emailed to them but I always offer to ship the physical card for $1.

For the first time someone actually pays the $1 shipping so I ship it out. A few days later I have a claim on my account from the guy stating that the card arrived damaged. I respond by saying I'd give him a full refund including shipping, just please email my the code on the card. He actually responds by saying with "here's the code,
Code:
, but I already used it."

...okay? And you want a FULL refund? The point of the auction wasn't for the physical card, it was for the content, which was redeemed! Here's the kicker, eBay doesn't care, they ruled in his favor and the money was removed from my PayPal.

Moral of the story: don't offer to ship DLC cards on eBay. :bomb:

Yep. I stopped using eBay, because of stuff like this. I only had a handful of issues with really stupid buyers, and they all worked out in my favor, but I knew the day would come when some shit like this would happen to me, so I stopped tempting fate.

I guess I'm stuck being Devil's Advocate a bit, I don't know the Banjo Kazoiee one personally but I know I want the Infinite Undiscovery card. Each one has the code on the back of a limited edition foil picture. I could care less for the content, but as a collector/completionist the physical card is what I want.

So I guess if there's something special about the card the codes on, I can see where there coming from. If it's just a slip of paper like many are, it's probably just the way the person figured out to get it for free.

Wow that's just.....wow....

Does Ebay have a number to call? I'd be calling them up and arguing my case.

The fact that he even messaged you back should have things in your favor. You have solid proof that the customer obtained and used the card's contents. How the fuck can you lose that??? Retarted ass Ebay is just getting worse n' worse...

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Wow that's just.....wow....

Does Ebay have a number to call? I'd be calling them up and arguing my case.

The fact that he even messaged you back should have things in your favor. You have solid proof that the customer obtained and used the card's contents. How the fuck can you lose that??? Retarted ass Ebay is just getting worse n' worse...[/QUOTE]

ha, paypal doesn't care if you have evidence to prove your case via email or ebay message system. they don't care. I once forwarded all the message to paypal and even had the CSR told me that I should have no problem winning the case since it was all noted down. But a week later, boom, reversal. So yea, paypal are run by bunch of monkeys. Just put your head down and hope for the best.

Yeah, I never sell on ebay anymore. Even after having earning 700+ positive feedback it's purely for buying anymore.
I've since ended up resorting to CAG for all of my selling needs.

Best. Choice. Ever.

Yeah, from the horror stories I have heard, it seems like they almost never take the seller's side. No matter how well you kept records, even if those records clearly show you are in the right, they end up siding with the buyer. I understand that they have all these protections and what not for the buyers, but what about the sellers? We are consumers, too. We are using their product. We pay for the service. Could we get some protection, too?

even if you emailed him the code it's against ebay policy. So he could still file a dispute against you for emailing the code to him or say he never received the item. Either way ebay is pretty screwed up. It's my last resort along with gamestop

Yeah. Emailing the code offers no protection whatsoever. I was scammed by a fucker in Germany. Emailed him the code after he paid up promptly. Exactly one day and one month later he filed a charge back on his credit card for an "unauthorized payment". Of course, his credit card company sided with him. Payfuck even charged me $10 for a charge back fee. The fucker tried to save 8 Euros and decided to pull a stunt!

[quote name='Sharp Katana']even if you emailed him the code it's against ebay policy. So he could still file a dispute against you for emailing the code to him or say he never received the item. Either way ebay is pretty screwed up. It's my last resort along with gamestop[/quote]

Yea, it's actually ebay policy that they don't deal in digital items. So you may have to state you're selling a physical card or even a piece of paper with the code. I have had several of my auctions cancel because I was selling a DLC code, so I had to relist stating I was selling the physical card the code was on and not the actual code or content that it would enable. Everytime I sell on ebay I'm fearful somebody will file a dispute against me now.

Ebay's policy on digital goods is exactly the reason why I offer to ship cards. Under shipping options I'll put "Other - Free," and "First Class - $1," then just explain in the auction that the code will be emailed or I will ship the card for a buck. Works out fine and ebay's never had a problem with it.

I'll post the guy's username next time I'm on my laptop.

Is there any avenue available to you via MS, since it is on their service, where they could deactivate or whatever the DLC if you say that the buyer failed to pay for the card from you?

Just a thought....

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Is there any avenue available to you via MS, since it is on their service, where they could deactivate or whatever the DLC if you say that the buyer failed to pay for the card from you?

Just a thought....[/quote]

might be too late since he already used the code. I've been pretty lucky selling DLC codes on ebay. The buyers so far have had good feedback. I don't usually allow bids if the buyer has less than 5 feedback.

But yeah, sellers have virtually no protection on ebay and paypal. They are sister sites so they're probably working to screw over the seller :roll:

I would e-mail the code, followed up by mailing it to the users address a couple of days later (without telling them). That way, I e-mail the code and if they're out to screw me, they'll claim they never received the item. Then you just produce the tracking number for the actual mailed item and you've won the dispute. Also, since they set up the dispute for non-received item, they can't set up another dispute for significantly not as described (I think).

[quote name='dinobot']ha, paypal doesn't care if you have evidence to prove your case via email or ebay message system. they don't care. I once forwarded all the message to paypal and even had the CSR told me that I should have no problem winning the case since it was all noted down. But a week later, boom, reversal. So yea, paypal are run by bunch of monkeys. Just put your head down and hope for the best.[/QUOTE]

This is too close to the truth, had a friend told directly over a 200 dollar item that even though he was in the right there was nothing they could do. I suspect the CSR's have no real power anymore after the latest round of changes and are really just there to get screamed at on a daily basis so it looks like someone cares. I was baffled when after getting a 21 day hold I call them up showing the feedback I received , tracking saying it was shipped and delivered and was still told they couldn't release the funds for three more days.

God ebay is the pits now. Its hard to imagine why anyone wants to sell on it anymore.

Though the one time i really got hosed by a seller they sided with him. Jerk sold me an xbox and just put it loose insid ea big box. He ships it two weeks after i pay and when it gets to me it promptly dies after a few days. He ignores my emails and even when i file a claim with ebay and paypal.

Then i made my one mistake, i replaced the dvd drive on it to get it working again. They say i tampered with it so no dice, he wins the dispute.

I guess now things are completely reversed.

I just sold a couple of Gears 2 Hammerburst codes on Ebay. I mailed the cards. I will not email them. I tried it once before with some LittleBigPlanet codes and that was worse. I feel for you do.

[quote name='coolsteel']This is too close to the truth, had a friend told directly over a 200 dollar item that even though he was in the right there was nothing they could do. I suspect the CSR's have no real power anymore after the latest round of changes and are really just there to get screamed at on a daily basis so it looks like someone cares. I was baffled when after getting a 21 day hold I call them up showing the feedback I received , tracking saying it was shipped and delivered and was still told they couldn't release the funds for three more days.[/quote]

That's not entirely true. A month or two back I had PayPal put $45 on hold from an eBay transaction. It's one of those stupid "we're holding your money until the item arrives" holds. I've been through those things enough times to know that waiting it out is the best thing to do. I wait a full 21 days and PayPal reverses the transaction even though the delivery confirmation number shows that my item arrived 8 days ago and the buyer also left positive feedback. I called up PayPal and a CSR straightened things out really quickly. I saw the refund in my account within 12 hours.

[quote name='DarkRider23']That's not entirely true. A month or two back I had PayPal put $45 on hold from an eBay transaction. It's one of those stupid "we're holding your money until the item arrives" holds. I've been through those things enough times to know that waiting it out is the best thing to do. I wait a full 21 days and PayPal reverses the transaction even though the delivery confirmation number shows that my item arrived 8 days ago and the buyer also left positive feedback. I called up PayPal and a CSR straightened things out really quickly. I saw the refund in my account within 12 hours.[/QUOTE]

Errr wha? You waited the full 21 days even though you had tracking and feedback saying it arrived 8 days earlier ? Why? Once feedback is left it is 3 days before the hold is removed if you call.

bread's done
Back