Doom 3 BFG Edition (X360) Streetdate Broken at Walmart

TheodorusMajorus

CAGiversary!
Saw it (X360 only) at my local (Greensboro, NC) Walmart earlier today. Was $40.
Just checked Amazon and I guess it's supposed to come out on the 16th.
Not really a deal, and probably super YMMV, feel free to move or delete this thread as I doubt anyone will care about this.

I want to play the game in HD but I can wait till it hits $10. I bit on Rage for $43 with Newegg and in no time it was easily available for $20.

Plus I still have the XBOX and PC version.

[quote name='thegame85']Neat but I wish you snapped a pic. I get the feeling the game will bomb with reviewers. I may pick it up as part of my buy2g1free welcoming coupon at BBY.[/QUOTE]

Same here - So far it is looking like Dishonored, Assassin's Creed (w/ credit - hopefully it still works) and Persona 4 Arena or Doom or *something*).

[quote name='xDerekRx']Yeah I love iD still, even though things have changed. I know Rage got mixed/good reviews but I thought it was great. At the time there was nothing that looked that good on a console. Even if you didnt like the game itself, it should have been appreciated as a piece of artwork.

I would like a release of all the Quakes as well. Of course all of these games are better on PC, but Id like a console run through.

As it stands I have to play Quake 1 on my Sega Saturn! (personally I think it was the best port)[/QUOTE]

I would murder for HD Quake, and maybe break limbs for a proper Quake 2 redux eheh

They got $40 out of me for Doom 3 in August 2004, never again haha

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='masterd919']I just cancelled my pre-order for this game...I have a sneaking suspicion that Black Friday will bring this down 10-15 bucks easily. HD remakes are great, but they drop in price real fast. Halo CE remake is a nice example of that.

I heard they removed the iron sights too for this BFG edition which I found a little disappointing...I wasn't a fan of the zoom in Doom 3.[/QUOTE]

To be fair other than Gamefly/Family Video deals on used copies, when did Halo CE HD drop below $30 new, except for the KMart sale for $15 a couple of weeks back?

If its a chest mounted light I will buy this on sale/clearance as others have said. Something else to note is this comes with Doom 1/2 also, not sure if its just tokens for the XBLA games or if they're on the disk w/o individual achievements for those games.

[quote name='xDerekRx']
I dont understand how hard it is for them to put out Final Doom as well. I know Final Doom was simply a collection of user levels but it was solid. Doom 64 is the only other real Doom since it was still in sprite form and kept true to the original no linear nature.
[/QUOTE]

As a rabid Doom-guy (see what i did there?), I always found Final Doom's campaigns (TNT and.. Plutonia or something?) too-difficult. I loved the Master Levels though, despite being in the same-vein, development-wise. I did enjoy the new campaign for the XBLA release of Doom 2 though, and that last level, holy crap--really makes you earn that avatar award.

Doom 64 though eh? While I appreciated the effort because afterall, it was still another iteration of Doom, I always thought it was a little dumbed-down, with the re-worked enemies and atmosphere, it seemed to take away the "gruesomeness" edge of the original in favor of a more kiddish look.

My favorite port of the "true" Doom was the Ps1 version--with the new area-lighting gimmick and somewhat upgraded sprites I thought that was truly the best possible version. Oh, and the cover art for the tallbox with the 90s Space Cowboy was gold all by itself.

PSXDoomBoxArt.jpg

'z0mg, buzzcuts and shooting shotguns with clenched fists, SO EXTREME!'
Ps. Oh man, the Link-cable fad, too! To this day I still want to play a game that has this as a feature.

[quote name='xDerekRx']Im one of the worlds biggest Doom fans. Its in my Top 10 and sometimes consider my #1 all time.

But Im not sure why this is even being released and for this pricetag.

I have the old Xbox steelbook edition which comes with the old dooms as well.

I dont understand how hard it is for them to put out Final Doom as well. I know Final Doom was simply a collection of user levels but it was solid. Doom 64 is the only other real Doom since it was still in sprite form and kept true to the original no linear nature.

Doom 3 was a nice game. But it started, or was at least a part of the new linear FPS movement which sadly still exists today. Didnt have the same exploration as old Dooms or FPS. But it had tons of atmosphere. I dont get the flashlight issues. I thought it added to the game. And after a while you mastered it and it was rewarding.

Im assuming the real reasons this even got a a full packaged release is because of the 3D. I have a really nice 3D TV. Hardly even use the 3d but I Think for sure Ill try it with this.

But even as a huge Doom fan I might wait a month and see it drop. I already have all the Dooms on Live anyhow.[/QUOTE]

There are real easy ways to play all the doom games in 1080 with modern upgrades and xbox 360 controller support on your PC. Including Doom64. Look into it.

[quote name='Sanges99']As a rabid Doom-guy (see what i did there?), I always found Final Doom's campaigns (TNT and.. Plutonia or something?) too-difficult. I loved the Master Levels though, despite being in the same-vein, development-wise. I did enjoy the new campaign for the XBLA release of Doom 2 though, and that last level, holy crap--really makes you earn that avatar award.

Doom 64 though eh? While I appreciated the effort because afterall, it was still another iteration of Doom, I always thought it was a little dumbed-down, with the re-worked enemies and atmosphere, it seemed to take away the "gruesomeness" edge of the original in favor of a more kiddish look.

My favorite port of the "true" Doom was the Ps1 version--with the new area-lighting gimmick and somewhat upgraded sprites I thought that was truly the best possible version. Oh, and the cover art for the tallbox with the 90s Space Cowboy was gold all by itself.

PSXDoomBoxArt.jpg

'z0mg, buzzcuts and shooting shotguns with clenched fists, SO EXTREME!'
Ps. Oh man, the Link-cable fad, too! To this day I still want to play a game that has this as a feature.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the PS1 port is really good. One of my favorite longboxes alongside X-Com, Jumping Flash, and In the Hunt.

I wish they would offer the SNES music as an option - the SNES port of doom was hard to play, but it has by far the best music of a port of doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g5iDF7mETk&feature=relmfu

[quote name='jer7583']There are real easy ways to play all the doom games in 1080 with modern upgrades and xbox 360 controller support on your PC. Including Doom64. Look into it.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately there's no other way to play Doom III in 3D afaik.

[quote name='MSUHitman']To be fair other than Gamefly/Family Video deals on used copies, when did Halo CE HD drop below $30 new, except for the KMart sale for $15 a couple of weeks back?

If its a chest mounted light I will buy this on sale/clearance as others have said. Something else to note is this comes with Doom 1/2 also, not sure if its just tokens for the XBLA games or if they're on the disk w/o individual achievements for those games.[/QUOTE]

It's been on sale a few times actually. Black Friday it very well could be again, and even before then with Halo 4 coming out- it has to be below $30 soon enough. I bought it on day 1 anyways, but why not get it used though? It has all the maps on disc...

As for the flashlight issue- yep, from what I hear they did allow you to use your weapon and flashlight simultaneously in the BFG edition. The Doom 1 & 2 games are tokens as well I'm pretty certain. Holding off on it either way personally.

i got this for 30 with radio shack credit from their 1 day trade in program last year. they had a weekly deal bout a month ago for 30 off 120, so i got this, zone of enders hd and persona arena for like 100 total. so like 30/30/40 for zone/doom/persona arena. not too bad.

I don't know if its just me but everytime I try to search for Doom 3 BFG on CAG (to add it to wishlist/price alert) all that comes up is the xbox 1 and PC versions.

[quote name='TheodorusMajorus']Saw it (X360 only) at my local (Greensboro, NC) Walmart earlier today. Was $40.
Just checked Amazon and I guess it's supposed to come out on the 16th.
Not really a deal, and probably super YMMV, feel free to move or delete this thread as I doubt anyone will care about this.[/QUOTE]

fuck that, the Cyber Police will care. I'm reporting this gross violation to them right this instant. Consequences for WalMart will never be the same.

bread's done
Back