Doom 3 out NOW @ Best Buy

laurarellis

CAGiversary!
Not exactly a *cheap* deal, but an early deal.

My computer is too old, but yours probably isn't. Have fun.

Update: A few BB stores have claimed to not be putting them out until Monday, but oddly enough that seems to be the exception here...

Update 2: This board has some personal pictures from a few people of their new copy of Doom 3.[/url]

I'm guessing that this was supposed to be a "suprise!!" type thing. I'm going to check BB tomorrow morning.. you never know.

I'm going to really have to wait for this one. My dad's computer will run it fine, but mine is a POS. And I hate playing games on my dads comp because it's in a different room. Anyone who gets it should post how good a game it is.

Anyone find news at other forums? I've seen a few places confirmed: a couple of buys from Madison, WI; Raleigh, NC sold a few copies but later pulled them; Fort Wayne, IN; Frederick, MD (though they say no over the phone); and some more... point is, they are out there.

Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few BB stores that don't have them AT ALL, much less are selling them early. Go figure. That, and many have pulled them. Reminds me of the $4.99 CC sale.

[quote name='Organ Donor']Anybody know where I can find the recommended system requirements to play this game?[/quote]from ebgames.com:

"System Requirements:
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP; Pentium IV 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz XP processor or higher; 384MB RAM; 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers; 1.7GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows swap file); 100% DirectXR 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers; 100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers; 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectXR 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers.

Multiplayer Requirements:
Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported; Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers; LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers"

[quote name='Richter'][quote name='Organ Donor']Anybody know where I can find the recommended system requirements to play this game?[/quote]from ebgames.com:

"System Requirements:
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP; Pentium IV 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz XP processor or higher; 384MB RAM; 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers; 1.7GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows swap file); 100% DirectXR 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers; 100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers; 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectXR 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers.

Multiplayer Requirements:
Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported; Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers; LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers"[/quote]

Thanks!

uesc, you live really close to where i do, if your in that area you might wanna check the BB in ellisville, thats real close to chesterfield. I dont know if they have it, but its another BB in the same area...
--Shadd

Like I said, Brookfield, WI HWY 18 Best Buy had a full display out filled with doom3 copies, on friday. I went to buy a new xbox and saw it on display. Maybe i'll go take pics cause i gotta go back anyway.

[quote name='magilacudy']Is the Xbox version coming out at the same time?[/quote]

No infact one of the guys said in a article (I believe it was a cnn.com one covering the fact that Doom III went gold) that it may even slip into 2005.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']GONNA NEED A REVIEW HERE MAKE IT HOT[/quote]

PC Gamer gave it a 94%.

"Doom III is a masterpiece of an art form - staying true to the frantic legacy of the Doom series, while ambitiously reaching new heights and bashing down the doors of the next generation of PC shooter. The bar is raised. Let's see someone else climb over it"

===============
Funny thing is is that at Best Buy employee in Arlington Texas was threatened two times for the game just today.

[quote name='BigNTasty from the TXB forums']I work at the best buy in Arlington Texas, and today I had about 10 people ask for Doom 3 and bout 50 call for it saying that best buy had a soft release and that we were aloud to release doom 3 to the public. The truth was that a few best buys messed up and released them, but the problem was fixed. Well 2 particular people came up to me demanding it, and told me that if i didnt give it to them that they would make me sorry. They kept threatening me saying that best buy was aloud to release it. I had to end up getting a store manager to get them to leave. Anywho, if anyone has doom 3 yet it is because of dumb store employees, and im pretty sure that ID is enforcing fines on violators. So, please inform everyone that best buy won't be releasing it early, atleast mine. I have to wait too[/quote]

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=281638

ha that's funny, I went into Schaumburg, IL BB today and was like yeah you guys are holding a copy of Doom III for me in the back could you grab it for me i'm in a hurry. Short dude goes, walks out WITH IT IN HIS HAND, k, walks up to me and is like this game, "yeah that game", Ok, it actually says i can't sell this until aug 2 so i have to ask my manager, "I think some other BB are selling it already can i just get going?", naw i better ask first, i watch him approach the mngr. Snatches out of the kids hand and says absolutely not, what the hell are you thinking you want to get fined. LOL so needless to say he comes back and says yeah he said no. HA funny story thought i would share, but awful grammar please excuse it. It is late here and i tired me sleep now buh bye

mn

lmao do they realize eb games gets it in monday ROFL, that is freaking great. You also can't ship on mondays! Oh man dumb asses
mn

[quote name='set']No dice at Bestbuy in Vegas... :([/quote]

Darn :( Well, at least that saves me some time from calling.

i Officially hate my buddy who lives in chicago, he got his at the downtown BB. Apparently one of the associates told him that "iD has said it's ok for us, and us only to release the game early for a midnight release last night" I hadn't heard about this, which makes me skeptical b/c i usually always know about midnight releases. I'm at his place right now, we loaded it up and HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AMAZING. You look at the screenshots and it does it no justice, so here it is mini review

First off i recommend you have a nice RIG. At the very least you should have a 1.8 P4 or 2000+ amd and above. The minimum specs given by id are right, but when we loaded it on his PIII 1.2 we had to turn off alot of the stuff that was making it look so clean. BUT that being said you can easily run it on a slower machine and it actually looks unbelievable still. YUP it still gives the atmosphere even if you don't have a fast machine. The reason why is, yes Doom III is supported by an amazing mixture of NORMAL MAPS and SPECTURAL LIGHTING, but its really the animation that makes the game. For example, i've never seen a game animate like this, Far Cry when you shot the guys they "UHhhhhhh" and fell like rag dolls. In Doom III, of course John Carmack is amazing at his games, they actually took the time to really map out animations and give physics to the demons that you would expect. You shoot a zombie guy with a shotgun, omg the shotgun owns just like in original doom, and he flies backwards and falls and reacts just like you though he would. The demons move unbelievably and the A.I they use is unreal if you play on a more difficult setting. Which brings me to difficulties, play this game on the tougher ones guys quit pussing out. It's hard yeah, but still it makes the game so much more fun and it will last you much longer. Judging by how things are moving now, and peeking through the strat guide at eb yesterday, my guess is that Doom III will be the longest FPS till HL2 which should beat it. It looks like it should be 20 - 30 hours, but that's a guesstimate. I'm going to go lan some more with him and kick his ass, this is his first FPS! He's never play HL so we have alot of gaming to do in the next 2 weeks haha. Hopefully my review cleared it up if not ask more questions i'll answer them!

Okay, I'm sure Doom 3 is an awesome game and many people have been waiting a long time for it. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD PAY $700 FOR A GAME THEY COULD GET FOR $50 TWO DAYS LATER? It's just two days people......

HAHA! It's up to $5,600 now. It's sad b/c if they had set a $100 or $150 BIN, they probably could have gotten a legitimate bid for it from some idiot. And now, they're just getting screwed over and they're going to have to waste their time getting their seller's fees back.

hahaha someone jacked this dudes bids up

$10,000

rofl so funny

1.000.000 ROFLMAO HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH someone did

$1,000,000

omg what would you guys do if someone did that and ebay is like well you got to pay that price that you bid on or go to jail for life. HA that would suck SAC seriously. Man that would have to be the BEST copy of Doom III ever!

[quote name='Maynard']lmao do they realize eb games gets it in monday ROFL, that is freaking great. You also can't ship on mondays! Oh man dumb asses
mn[/quote]

The game ships Tuesday. Most stores will have it Tuesday night, depending on location.

US $20,000,100.00

Wow, someone must really want it a whole day early. Well, 0 days now because they are closed on sundays.

[quote name='Maynard']i Officially hate my buddy who lives in chicago, he got his at the downtown BB. Apparently one of the associates told him that "iD has said it's ok for us, and us only to release the game early for a midnight release last night" I hadn't heard about this, which makes me skeptical b/c i usually always know about midnight releases. I'm at his place right now, we loaded it up and HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AMAZING. You look at the screenshots and it does it no justice, so here it is mini review

First off i recommend you have a nice RIG. At the very least you should have a 1.8 P4 or 2000+ amd and above. The minimum specs given by id are right, but when we loaded it on his PIII 1.2 we had to turn off alot of the stuff that was making it look so clean. BUT that being said you can easily run it on a slower machine and it actually looks unbelievable still. YUP it still gives the atmosphere even if you don't have a fast machine. The reason why is, yes Doom III is supported by an amazing mixture of NORMAL MAPS and SPECTURAL LIGHTING, but its really the animation that makes the game. For example, i've never seen a game animate like this, Far Cry when you shot the guys they "UHhhhhhh" and fell like rag dolls. In Doom III, of course John Carmack is amazing at his games, they actually took the time to really map out animations and give physics to the demons that you would expect. You shoot a zombie guy with a shotgun, omg the shotgun owns just like in original doom, and he flies backwards and falls and reacts just like you though he would. The demons move unbelievably and the A.I they use is unreal if you play on a more difficult setting. Which brings me to difficulties, play this game on the tougher ones guys quit pussing out. It's hard yeah, but still it makes the game so much more fun and it will last you much longer. Judging by how things are moving now, and peeking through the strat guide at eb yesterday, my guess is that Doom III will be the longest FPS till HL2 which should beat it. It looks like it should be 20 - 30 hours, but that's a guesstimate. I'm going to go lan some more with him and kick his ass, this is his first FPS! He's never play HL so we have alot of gaming to do in the next 2 weeks haha. Hopefully my review cleared it up if not ask more questions i'll answer them![/quote]

The reviewer at PC Gamer (Dan Morris) said that it took him 23 hours to beat on medium.

Wow. I must get this game then. Even though I prefer more open outdoor-sy environments. I mean, it's DOOM 3! :p

Too bad even my somewhat good PC can't play it maxxed out....

Pentium 4 3 ghz
512 dual channel ram
Radeon 9800 Pro

I read somewhere that's tested the game a lot claims that I can get 1024x768 with medium settings... but something (My head) says I could do better.... mwhahahaha!

[quote name='Beld']but something (My head) says I could do better.... mwhahahaha![/quote]

You can...

Wait for the Xbox version.

[quote name='Beld']Wow. I must get this game then. Even though I prefer more open outdoor-sy environments. I mean, it's DOOM 3! :p

Pentium 4 3 ghz
512 dual channel ram
Radeon 9800 Pro

I read somewhere that's tested the game a lot claims that I can get 1024x768 with medium settings... but something (My head) says I could do better.... mwhahahaha![/quote]

Those are my specs, except I have a gig of RAM. I'm almost positive I can get 1024x768 on High Quality.

went to bb this afternoon, just handed over my preorder recipt to customer service....the guy went to the back for a while, but said that they didn't have it yet. but this guy and a guy my friend talked to earlier both confirmed availablity tomorrow, august 2nd.

if i wanted it early, or any game, i would go to the store everyone bought it at, BB, and try to get it. i would pay a little extra to get it a day or two early but no more than 10

[quote name='Beld']Wow. I must get this game then. Even though I prefer more open outdoor-sy environments. I mean, it's DOOM 3! :p

Pentium 4 3 ghz
512 dual channel ram
Radeon 9800 Pro

I read somewhere that's tested the game a lot claims that I can get 1024x768 with medium settings... but something (My head) says I could do better.... mwhahahaha![/quote]
I dont think any machine can play Doom 3 fully maxed out unless it has two videocards because the highest graphical setting require a 500 MB videocard.

I would pick this up, but I have not been a PC gamer in a while. I would defienetly need to upgrade my machine also. Not sure how it would look on my 17" LCD Widescreen monitor either.

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']kyo are u talken about a PM and a GGC, cause it wont work[/quote]

i've heard that did work,, i know somebody that did that for full spectrum warrior..... it depends on the bestbuy.... some may some won't ymmv

[quote name='Masterkyo']Circuit City have it for $44.99 if you have Bestbuy $5 off GG Coupon... ur price is $39.49 b4 taxes or less ;)[/quote]

CC said they will not be getting it until Friday... see Sunday's add.

I got my copy last night midnight at Sterling, VA - I got a free doom3 tee shirt, and I got that pre-order kit for free too. The pre-order kit is junk but whatever. The tee-shirt is cool, it's the one you can order from id for like 14 bucks.

If you have a Dell Inspiron Laptop 8200, with a Nvidia Geforce 4, it will play with min settings, and it still looks nice.

Btw, I'm going to bring back my receipt on Friday to Best Buy and price match CC. I also used the Gamer Gift Card so I got it for 49.99, but then with the price match, i'm going to get 10 bucks back, so all in all, 39.99 for doom 3 is a great price.

I have a p4 2.5 oc 2.7
1gb of ram
ATI 9800 aiw oc 418/378
and I can run doom at 1024x768 at medium quality with no slowdown at all
great looking game

ah for all the hype, i got it and i think its pretty great.

as for places that have it, all the stores by me were full with people looking for it on monday, and now i cant enter a store that sells software without running into a huge display with 100 copies.

Decided to try and use my last Target 31% off raincheck which expires after today.

No problem going through the register, the cashier gave me a price of 40 and some change. I was just about to swipe my debit card when the cashier said to stop and that the price should be cheaper. After a minute she gave me a new price of 27.88 + tax = 29.55

Pretty happy and a good use of my last rain check (for now)

I think the original game the rain check was for was Manhunter or another one from that weeks sale.

bread's done
Back