Doom Memories 20th Anniversary

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Favorite memories is having a blast playing the game without sound, then being blown away when I hooked up speakers to my computer (dont know why I waited so long).  I dragged everyone I could to see and hear the game.  Favorite showoff level was the one where the Cyberdemon is walking around in the open arena shooting rockets.

As an aside, I didn't know that it was the 20th anniversary (OMG, 20 years, really?), but I've been reading "Masters of Doom" its actually a pretty interesting read about the development and the massive popularity of Doom and Quake.  Highly recommended http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155

Oddly enough, the original Doom has always been one of the favorite games... of my older sister. I suppose she always found it cathartic to blast through waves of demons with ridiculous ordnance. She's never gotten into modern shooters, but she sure loved herself some Doom.

I ought to run Serious Sam by her sometime.

Favorite memories is having a blast playing the game without sound, then being blown away when I hooked up speakers to my computer (dont know why I waited so long). I dragged everyone I could to see and hear the game. Favorite showoff level was the one where the Cyberdemon is walking around in the open arena shooting rockets.

As an aside, I didn't know that it was the 20th anniversary (OMG, 20 years, really?), but I've been reading "Masters of Doom" its actually a pretty interesting read about the development and the massive popularity of Doom and Quake. Highly recommended http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155
Ah I never got around to reading that book. It says " until the games they made tore them apart. This is a story of friendship and betrayal, commerce and artistry—a powerful and compassionate account of what it's like to be young, driven, and wildly creative."

What tore them apart and who betrayed who?

DOOM BOOK SPOILERS:

The quote's a little overdramatic in my opinion.  The book covers a bunch of different people, but focuses mostly on John Carmack and John Romero, founders of ID software.  The downfall came because although Carmack and Romero are really talented guys who worked together to make some really great and timeless games (Quake and Doom), their methods of making games are just too different and they couldn't work together anymore.  Carmack just wanted to program and keep things small and felt Romero was slacking.  Romero wanted to have fun and build a gaming empire and felt Carmack was taking things way too serious.  Carmack eventually caused Romero to quit leave ID Software.  Its kinda sad actually.  Carmack seems to have a point about Romero, but extravagant as Romreo was/is, he's a really smart and talented guy and I think that if they could have put their differences aside, they would have gone on to create some more really memorable games. 

You should definitely pick up the book.  I know next to nothing about programming, but reading about them developing so many concepts that had such an influence on the industry is very interesting. 

Interesting. Do they talk about Romero or Carmack beyond the time when they departed? Romero seems to have a strange track record since leaving id.

DOOM BOOK SPOILERS:

The quote's a little overdramatic in my opinion. The book covers a bunch of different people, but focuses mostly on John Carmack and John Romero, founders of ID software. The downfall came because although Carmack and Romero are really talented guys who worked together to make some really great and timeless games (Quake and Doom), their methods of making games are just too different and they couldn't work together anymore. Carmack just wanted to program and keep things small and felt Romero was slacking. Romero wanted to have fun and build a gaming empire and felt Carmack was taking things way too serious. Carmack eventually caused Romero to quit leave ID Software. Its kinda sad actually. Carmack seems to have a point about Romero, but extravagant as Romreo was/is, he's a really smart and talented guy and I think that if they could have put their differences aside, they would have gone on to create some more really memorable games.

You should definitely pick up the book. I know next to nothing about programming, but reading about them developing so many concepts that had such an influence on the industry is very interesting.
Does the book cover after he left? From the wiki:

John Romero's Daikatana, or simply Daikatana, is a first-person shooter video game developed by Ion Storm and published by Eidos Interactive. Released on May 23, 2000 for Windows,[1] it was led by John Romero. The game is known as one of the major commercial failures of the video game industry. Daikatana was later ported to the Nintendo 64. A different version of the game was developed for the Game Boy Color, with a version for the PlayStation cancelled during development.

Yes.  Romero leaves ID about 3/4 of the way through the book.  The book then talks about their respective projects afterward: Mainly, Carmack with Quake 2, and Arena, and John Romero with Daikatana and Ion Storm.  I remember the Daikatana fiasco and the knocks against Romero and its interesting reading about what was going on with Romero at the time. 

20 years.... wow I remember seeing this running on a computer for the first time at Electek.  I was amazed at the graphics it was the most realistic game of it's time.  Elektek that was a great computer store back in the days when the computer was the gaming machine. 

I remember playing the demo for Doom back in the day, and then playing the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D at a friend's house, hooked on the gameplay and premise.  So when I knew about Doom II, I put that at the top of my Christmas wish list for sure that year.

It was an odd conversation with my parents to try to convince them to buy such a violent game for an eleven year old.  I had to explain to them that I was the good guy killing all the demons, so it's a positive message, right?

I also remember years later I had a conversation with my mom on games, and she still remembers that as "that demon game", and that she felt very uncomfortable giving it to me that year (which in retrospect she was right to think so).  God bless her for going against her intuitions, had plenty of fun hogging the computer that winter break.

I remember firing up the dial up modem to play multiplayer with one of my friends in doom. It was my first online multiplayer experience. It took forever, and if anybody called either of our houses connection was lost 28.8k FTW.

The really fat kid loaded it up on one of the computers back in middle school and got suspended for "hacking." This was probably 1993. I didn't know much at all about computers back then (although I did watch a teacher login on one of the network machines in the school close enough to realize the staff and faculty password was "Winnebago" - I later informed the fat hacker kid and he literally said "I know" and laughed), My house was always a step behind. We had a 286 when everyone else had a 386, we had a 386 when everyone else had a 486. I remember copying Doom from a friend with a 486 (on a bucket of 3.5 floppy disks) and having it run so slow there was not much fun to be had. But I played it anyway for a while.

But the thing that was most awesome to me was when I want to a friend's house a few years later and he showed me how he had gone and replaced all of the enemies with the Misfits skull logo. Blew my fucking mind. First time I ever saw a mod for any game.

I remember waiting in line at gamestop to play this game. The online MP was so fun.
GameStop was around in the early 90's? I'm not doubting you, just all the game stores here were Babbage's, Electronics Boutique, or independent mom & pop outfits.

My friends both had 486's and at least one of them had Doom. He never played it when I was around. I can't remember really but I think I must've been very intrigued by Doom. I knew nothing about it other than it was graphically impressive on PC. I only had an Apple IIe computer and a Super Nintendo. 

Finally at some point my father got a laptop for his work. I got to use it at home. I tried getting games for it but I don't think it had a CD-Drive, so there wasn't many available to play. Then one day when I was waiting for my parents outside in our car at some stripmall, I saw a Radioshack. I made my way inside and saw something that said SHAREWARE DOOM. It was on 3.5 floppy disks.

I wasn't about to pay whatever it cost, and yes they were selling the SHAREWARE version. So I waited and watch the employees like a hawk. Finally they went into the back room long enough for me to steal it. I can still see it all in my mind. 

Thus, I then spent quite a bit of time playing Doom on early 90's laptop. I don't think we had a mouse. Maybe we did. I either used the keyboard alone, or mouse and kb, or one of those red pegs as the mouse. At the time I may have thought that version of Doom with only Episode 1 was the entire game. And I have vague memories of not even being able to run it full screen. I still played it a lot and showed it off to my brother and cousin.

Then some time later my friend got a 32x and Doom. I remember he brought it over to my friends house and when they both fell asleep, I stayed up some hours longer and played Doom on that. It was awesome even on 32x. Eventually he traded the 32x and all it's games to me for a single SNES game. And eventually I played Doom again, this time on SNES.

After that I played Doom on PS1 (the first one for me that did the original PC game justice). And later I played Doom on GBA and Xbox 360. 

bread's done
Back