Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog - A musical in three parts by Joss Whedon

karsh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm surprised there is no thread for this up, or if there is, I was too lazy to find it beyond the past couple days. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog was what Joss Whedon made during the writer's strike. It's a musical about a super villain, Dr. Horrible, (played by Neil Patrick Harris) who has to deal with his nemesis, the super hero Captain Hammer (played by Nathan Fillion). The first act came out today, and is available for free online at www.drhorrible.com. The second part will come out Thursday and the final act will be released Saturday. I found the first act to be pretty hilarious, so I figured I'd see if anyone else wanted to watch it.

You're right, I'm shocked nobody has posted about this yet. I watched the first chapter a few hours ago and loved the hell out of it. I've been eagerly anticipating it for weeks, and it was well worth the wait!

Also, Neil Patrick Harris rules.

So Act Two came out today and this is seriously legen....wait for it.......dary. You can definitely tell it's Whedon doing it cause some of the songs are similar to the musical episode of Buffy, but it's still great. Joss still loves to do his layered songs where he'll have people singing different lyrics at the same time overtop one another. Definitely check it out. It'll only be up till Sunday.

And yes, Neil Patrick Harris rules.

My 4-year-old daughter came in the door from visiting her friend and hopped up into my lap just in time to hear: "The hammer is my penis." My wife's look was almost as hilarious as the show itself.

I guess I'm the only one who thought this wasn't all that great. Granted, I only watched Act I, but maybe Act II is way better?

Thanks for the link OP that was great. I can't wait for the third part.

It really did remind me of the Buffy musical, which was great since that's one of my favorite episodes of Buffy.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']I guess I'm the only one who thought this wasn't all that great. Granted, I only watched Act I, but maybe Act II is way better?[/quote]

No, you're not the only one. I didn't care that much for act I, but I have high hopes for act II and III. It's not too often that the first episode of anything is really that great, and if it is, it usually doesn't explain the characters and their relationships that well.

I think the ending was disappointing. I would have preferred a funnier twist rather than the way it did end.

[quote name='Filbert']I think the ending was disappointing. I would have preferred a funnier twist rather than the way it did end.[/quote]

Agreed, though I do feel that the final act had some of the funniest writing in it. Super predictable though.

i like the Evil League of Villains: Professor Normal, Fake Thomas Jefferson, Tie-Die, Dead Bowie, Fury Leika, Snake Bite and Bad Horse

My wife watched this last night while I was playing Rock Band. She was laughing the entire time - I love Joss and NPH so I'll have to check this out...

Just saw acts II and III, definitely made up for the first one. Can't wait to see what Felicia Day does next.

[quote name='Magus8472']The turn towards the grim in the last Act was jarring and ultimately pretty cheap, but the first two were great.[/QUOTE]
I actually liked that it went dark like that. Though I'd have a liked to have seen a bit more. Felt like it ended too abruptly.

I thought the second act was the best. Although I did love the line "get a pic, do a blog!" and "we do weird stuff"

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I actually liked that it went dark like that. Though I'd have a liked to have seen a bit more. Felt like it ended too abruptly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it probably would've worked better if there had been more time to flesh it out.

I just got done watching it. Fantastic stuff, but I should've remembered that Joss Whedon loves trying to crush your feelings. :whistle2:?

[quote name='karsh']It'll only be up till Sunday.[/QUOTE]

For free, yeah, but it's only four bucks for the three episodes on iTunes. I think it was worth it.

[quote name='Magus8472']Yeah, it probably would've worked better if there had been more time to flesh it out.[/QUOTE]
Agreed - even one or two more episodes might have been enough for that. The three we got were good, though (I wasn't a fan of the ending, but I got the point and I think it fit the plot), and I'm glad I watched it.

Yeah, I bought it on iTunes now. Definitely worth the 4 bucks and I'll even pick it up on DVD when Joss releases that.

Overall: ok.

I don't know a thing about Whedon and I didn't watch Buffy, since it doesn't seem like my thing at all. NPH did a good job with his role - the singing was really good from him (though he's been in Broadway for a while so I expected it to be great). The first song was excellent - a great twist on the whole "anxiousness in pursuing a love interest" motif.

Otherwise I smiled here and there and thought it was entertaining, but not quite as highly hyped as I know it's going to be for a good while to come. Guess it's just not for me.

[quote name='Strell']Overall: ok.

I don't know a thing about Whedon and I didn't watch Buffy, since it doesn't seem like my thing at all. NPH did a good job with his role - the singing was really good from him (though he's been in Broadway for a while so I expected it to be great). The first song was excellent - a great twist on the whole "anxiousness in pursuing a love interest" motif.

Otherwise I smiled here and there and thought it was entertaining, but not quite as highly hyped as I know it's going to be for a good while to come. Guess it's just not for me.[/QUOTE]

For a show with smoking hot females, humor and written with comic book style story arcs you would think more guys would have been all over Buffy

bread's done
Back