Dragon Age II - Gen. Discussion and Info - Mark of the Assassin DLC 10/11 800 pts.

You can get a couple of the DLC items just by playing it for an hour or so. That was about all I could stomach. If you want all of the DLC you are looking at a significant time commitment.

So the Dragon Age animated movie is out now. For those that hadn't heard about it it's an origin story for Cassandra and the Seekers. BB.com and Amazon.com have been selling it for around $13 and I've seen it physically at WM for $18.50. It's a 3-disc DVD/BR combo pack that has 2 DVD's (one English and one Japanese) and a BR that I assume has both languages on it.

It also comes with a code for the first digital issue of the 6-issue Dragon Age Dark Horse comic about King Allistair w/Varric and Isabella looking for Allstair's father, whom may still be alive. The other 5 issues are $.99 each if you enjoy the first one.

I haven't watched the actual movie yet, but the extras are sorta interesting. You get a 15 or so minute tour of Bioware Edmonton and a 15-20 discussion on the movie from a group of the Bioware DA folks. So far so good.

http://dragonagemovie.com/

I had it preordered for a while, but I decided to hold off and wait on reviews. I like Cassandra but it seems like these game-to-anime adaptations are usually pretty dire. I've heard terrible things about the Dead Space movies.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So the Dragon Age animated movie is out now.

http://dragonagemovie.com/[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that on zune marketplace as I was there to download my free copy of Batman: Year One. Watched the preview, digital version I think is $13.50 for HD too.

OK so I'm about 2/3 through the movie:

Animation is excellent. I'm watching it on a 7" portable DVD player and it's remarkable. Have to imagine it's even better on the BR (I'm watching it at one of my jobs, not at home.)

It takes place after the events you play in DA 2, but before Cassandra finds Varric to have him tell the story.
The events in Kirkwall are mentioned by one of the main bad guys in a fight near the end w/Cassandra.

That survey was interesting. I tend to think it is real as that all seems to fit with the direction the books and comics have been taking the story.

Of course, anyone who is up on their DA lore could have come up with something close. Man, i'm dying for some solid news on DA3.

Since Bioware pulled a ME2 on how they shifted the gameplay to action over the RPG elements of it, do you think they'll make the same "middleground" move they did with ME3 trying to blend both sides of it?

[quote name='shrike4242']Since Bioware pulled a ME2 on how they shifted the gameplay to action over the RPG elements of it, do you think they'll make the same "middleground" move they did with ME3 trying to blend both sides of it?[/QUOTE]
They've already talked about bringing back customizable armor pieces for companions (I almost wrote "squadmates" :lol: ) since that was something a lot of people missed from Origins. Though they will still enforce an "iconic look" for each character to some degree.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']It is genuine. I took that same survey a week or so ago.[/QUOTE]
Cool. I guess we have a pretty good idea of where they are heading with the story then.

Wow, it's disheartening to me how negative the comments are on every news site that's reported on this. DA2's reputation has really sunk to the bottom of the barrel. Seems like the only people interested in commenting on it these days are the people who think it was the worst game since Superman 64.

While I think Dragon Age 2 is inferior to DA:O and Awakening, I still had some fun with the game. Enough so that I played it and beat it with all three classes. Some stuff was annoying, but jeez as bad as Superman 64? That's just a wee bit crazy.

I shit on DA2 all the time, but I'd never call it worse than mediocre. Hell, it even improved on Origins in a few places.

But as for a third game? Eh... I might be Dragon Aged-out.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Wow, it's disheartening to me how negative the comments are on every news site that's reported on this. DA2's reputation has really sunk to the bottom of the barrel. Seems like the only people interested in commenting on it these days are the people who think it was the worst game since Superman 64.[/QUOTE]

I know. DA2 definitely had its faults, but it was a FUN game. By reading some of the comments out there I think that it has just gotten to the point where people think it is somehow necessary to hate on the game to establish credibility.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Wow, it's disheartening to me how negative the comments are on every news site that's reported on this. DA2's reputation has really sunk to the bottom of the barrel. Seems like the only people interested in commenting on it these days are the people who think it was the worst game since Superman 64.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing part of the negative reaction also has to do with the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco, as well as The Old Republic being disappointing.

I won't lie, my faith in BioWare has dropped some, but I'm keeping an eye on Dragon Age III.

I would still buy the hell out of DAIII. I liked Origins better, but DAII definitely improved on a bunch of things that I would like to see more of.

My feelings towards DAII are well documented in the hallowed halls of CAG and they are extreme and unflinchingly positive. The story in DA2 was really strong and it set up a lot of things to come in the DA universe if you paid close attention and then read Asunder and watched the anime, read the comics, etc.

DA3 is obviously being worked on if you follow the development teams twitter accounts. David Gaider and Mike Laidlaw are always talking about well-into-development things like voice recording taking place, so *something* DA related is far along.

All I know is ...
tumblr_lhd6ehyQ0J1qhb8t1o1_500.jpg

I think Bioware would have to produce Casablanca at this rate to improve its perception in the mainstream gaming media, general gaming Internet commenters, & jaded fans like myself.

That or just carbon copy The Witcher.

[quote name='MSUHitman']That or just carbon copy The Witcher.[/QUOTE]
Ugh, I hope not. I played a couple hours of the Witcher 2. To be honest I just found it boring. Nothing about the setting or the characters hooked me, and I thought the voice acting was awful.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I think Bioware would have to produce Casablanca at this rate to improve its perception in the mainstream gaming media, general gaming Internet commenters, & jaded fans like myself.

[/QUOTE]

...I don't even want to imagine the ending to it.

DA2 was nowhere near on Superman 64's level of fail, but compared to Origins and what the DA team had initially planned on providing the fanbase (which wasn't a Medieval Mass Effect) the hate is completely understandable. Throw in more recent dev related drama and well...

The only reason I'm considering DA3 is out of respect for the first game and to see just how badly they'll screw up multiplayer. If it's anything like ME3's BSN is going to be a laugh riot.

Unbalanced Nerfing in the name of Balance and Microtransactions.

Unbalanced Nerfing & Greed Everywhere.

Here's my blueprint for DA 3:
Amalur's combat with Witcher 2 level of graphics and mood with the DA universe lore and character quality as the cover sheet and boom perfect.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Here's my blueprint for DA 3:
Amalur's combat with Witcher 2 level of graphics and mood with the DA universe lore and character quality as the cover sheet and boom perfect.[/QUOTE]
Yikes! :lol: Not that that doesn't sound fun, but the people currently crying that DA2 "turned Dragon Age into a hack-and-slash" would probably all kill themselves.

I have both Dragon Age games but I heard that the first one is better so I want to play the second one first so as not to be let down gameplay-wise. Exactly how lost would I be storyline-wise if I play Dragon Age 2 before Dragon Age Origins?

Not too much; different location, much different focus. You'd miss out on any import-your-Origins-save-to-II shenanigans, but that stuff was limited, contradictory, and buggy to begin with. You'll probably be slightly confused on some of the Flemeth stuff, but nobody really knows what the fuck is up with Flemeth, so that doesn't matter. You'll get some minor plot spoilers for DAO - hey, turns out the good guys win! - but that's about it.

EDIT: That said, if you're going to play both, I'd still play them in order.

[quote name='matrix9280']I have both Dragon Age games but I heard that the first one is better so I want to play the second one first so as not to be let down gameplay-wise. Exactly how lost would I be storyline-wise if I play Dragon Age 2 before Dragon Age Origins?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is weird. I sort of, maybe, understand where you're coming from but I would definitely still play them in order. I liked DAO better, but I think it would be a weird step backward graphically to go from DA2 to DAO.

[quote name='The Crotch']Eh... I'd rather they look back to Shadows of Amn than anything else.

Remember Shadows of Amn, guys?[/QUOTE]

I do, I do! Remember when DA was the "spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate"? Huh? Remember!?

Le sigh...

*Goes off to crush pidgeons with Shale and remember the potential the series had

[quote name='MSUHitman']Here's my blueprint for DA 3:
Amalur's combat with Witcher 2 level of graphics and mood with the DA universe lore and character quality as the cover sheet and boom perfect.[/QUOTE]

One huge issue I have with adopting Amalur's combat is that the game would play itself. Even in Bethesda games you have to actually try before you become a Demigod of War.

In KoA you had to actually try to die... once. Even then the AI would usually find some way to screw it up epically or you'd stumble onto a new way to break the game completely by accident.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I do, I do! Remember when DA was the "spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate"? Huh? Remember!?

Le sigh...

*Goes off to crush pidgeons with Shale and remember the potential the series had[/QUOTE]

But think of the voiced protagonist, static armor and awesome button pressing! We surely couldn't find that in a thousand other games!

Oh wait...

[quote name='matrix9280']I have both Dragon Age games but I heard that the first one is better so I want to play the second one first so as not to be let down gameplay-wise. Exactly how lost would I be storyline-wise if I play Dragon Age 2 before Dragon Age Origins?[/QUOTE]

Listen to everyone else. DA:O + DLC then DA2. It's the only way you'll understand the love/hate.

Do the DLCs still fuck with the (admittedly already kind of fucked up) save game imports? I vaguely recall Golems and Witch Hunt doing terrible, unspeakable things to your save game. And that getting DAII to register that Nathaniel Howe survived Awakenings was a pain in the fucking tits.

[quote name='The Crotch']Do the DLCs still fuck with the (admittedly already kind of fucked up) save game imports? I vaguely recall Golems and Witch Hunt doing terrible, unspeakable things to your save game. And that getting DAII to register that Nathaniel Howe survived Awakenings was a pain in the fucking tits.[/QUOTE]
I don't know, I never had any problems in my games.

Hmmm, I also never noticed any issues with save game importing. I played the DLC "chronologically" I believe.

Did you have multiple playthroughs? I only had 1 (my first was on PC, but the PC lagged so much at the final battle I picked up the 360 version and didn't even attempt DA2 on my PC) on xbox so maybe that had something to do with it?

I never had any issues with my DA: O + Awakenings saves getting recognized in DA2. I picked up the DLCs as they were available and before I made it to that point, so that might have had something to do with it.

All I know, no issues for me with either DA: O or DA2.

Yeah, I remember there being some talk about needing to import the Origins save into Awakening, and then the Awakening save into Golems, and finally into Witch Hunt, to get everything to register.

And come to think of it I don't remember seeing Nathaniel Howe in DA2 and I know he was supposed to be alive in one of my imports. Maybe mine did glitch after all. I don't remember for sure though whether Nathaniel appeared or not.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, I remember there being some talk about needing to import the Origins save into Awakening, and then the Awakening save into Golems, and finally into Witch Hunt, to get everything to register.

And come to think of it I don't remember seeing Nathaniel Howe in DA2 and I know he was supposed to be alive in one of my imports. Maybe mine did glitch after all. I don't remember for sure though whether Nathaniel appeared or not.[/QUOTE]I think that's how I did it with mine, as I was told the "correct' sequence for everything was DA: O, Awakening, then the DLCs in any order with Witch Hunt being last. I think it was either you or Ink.So.Well that mentioned it way back in the day of the "correct" order.

Nathanial Howe showing up in DA2 was nothing more than a footnote in regards to the gameplay in DA2, and I think there was a side quest related to it. Nothing earth-shattering, all told, though he does end up being an ally at the end of DA2 if everything works OK.

Here's all the particulars about it:
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Nathaniel_Howe

The bug you mentioned is discussed on the link to the DA2 quest, where it mentions that if he's not in your party when you end the game, it glitches.

Yep. You had to upload a save which reflected a specific order if you intended all of your DLC decisions to translate to DA2. It was a pain in the ass for those who hadn't bought and played each according to their release which I believe was the correct order (I think it was Awakenings > Golems > Witch Hunt or some such nonsense).

In the end it didn't matter much as all your decisions were either sentenced to a different realm of "Who gives a shit?": Codex, Conversation, Cameo.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']In the end it didn't matter much as all your decisions were either sentenced to a different realm of "Who gives a shit?": Codex, Conversation, Cameo.[/QUOTE]
Replace "Codex" with "Email" and you've got Mass Effect 3. :lol:

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']In the end it didn't matter much as all your decisions were either sentenced to a different realm of "Who gives a shit?": Codex, Conversation, Cameo.[/QUOTE]
Or "inexplicably alive even though you decapitated me in the last game".

EDIT: Though I will say that I'm glad that they didn't over do the cameos in DA2, forcing old companions and NPCs in simply for the sake of having them there. Looking at you, Jacob.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Replace "Codex" with "Email" and you've got Mass Effect 3. :lol:[/QUOTE]

LOL. You said it not me.

[quote name='The Crotch']Or "inexplicably alive even though you decapitated me in the last game".[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me of that as the game resurrected
Zevran the Killer Fruit Loop
during my canon playthrough somehow. There's a damn good reason he got f*ckin' stabbed in DA:O and his sexual orientation wasn't one of them. Dude was WAY too eccentric in the sleaziest sort of way... or maybe I just loathed his voice actor. Either way dead should stay dead unless we're talking artificial intelligence or supernatural beings.

The only bright side I found to character was the fact that unlike Bizarro Anders he had the decency not to hit on me at random in casual conversation. Keep it in your pants bro bro. I'm trying to understand your particular brand of stupid and steer either of us away from it.

Another bright side (concerning DA3 at least) to the rumor mill/survey poll is that we may finally get to kill Flemeth and/or Morrigan. At this point I don't care what the end game surrounding the Dark Ritual is, was, ever will be. I'd simply appreciate the opportunity to stab either one in the face since I can't smack Gaider free of his unhealthy obsession with them both. It's like middle school all over again with me trying to explain why a certain long white haired psychopath with a long sword and mommy issues wasn't particularly impressive.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Thanks for reminding me of that as the game resurrected
Zevran the Killer Fruit Loop
during my canon playthrough somehow. There's a damn good reason he got f*ckin' stabbed in DA:O and his sexual orientation wasn't one of them. Dude was WAY too eccentric in the sleaziest sort of way... or maybe I just loathed his voice actor. Either way dead should stay dead unless we're talking artificial intelligence or supernatural beings.[/quote]
Actually, I was referring to
Leliana. But whereas the Zevran thing was a bug that got fixed (I think), Leliana shows up no matter what.

And for what it's worth, I didn't like Zevran either, though I did like his voice actor.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Another bright side (concerning DA3 at least) to the rumor mill/survey poll is that we may finally get to kill Flemeth and/or Morrigan. At this point I don't care what the end game surrounding the Dark Ritual is, was, ever will be. I'd simply appreciate the opportunity to stab either one in the face since I can't smack Gaider free of his unhealthy obsession with them both. It's like middle school all over again with me trying to explain why a certain long white haired psychopath with a long sword and mommy issues wasn't particularly impressive.[/QUOTE]
While the different art style and combat were pretty big whatthefucks for me, it was Flemeth's appearance in DAII that first told me that everything was taking a turn for the fuck you. I mean, I liked the redesigns of the elves and especially the qunari, but...

What the fuck happened, man?

[quote name='The Crotch']Actually, I was referring to
Leliana. But whereas the Zevran thing was a bug that got fixed (I think), Leliana shows up no matter what.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Zevran is supposed to be dead if he's dead (keyword "supposed to"). Leliana is the character that the writers decided to retcon into life even if you killed her in Origins.

LOL at the Morrigan discussion, she's my favorite character in the series. Maybe Claudia Black is an unfairly large factor in that. :)

No doubt in my mind that she's returning for III and she'll probably play a major role.

I liked Morrigan - as a character, I mean; didn't care for her as a person - but I think Bioware put themselves in an awkward spot.

The whole "Old God Baby" thing should be a massive plot point, but they went and made it optional, so either they down-play the whole thing (likely) or Rachni Queen it in (which... okay, also pretty likely).

bread's done
Back