Dragon Age II - Gen. Discussion and Info - Mark of the Assassin DLC 10/11 800 pts.

Did anyone who picked up their Signature Edition via Gamestop receive a code for the pre-order items? I think they screwed me out of it (ME2 armor for the CE) again, but I want to be sure this version is eligible before I make a return visit tomorrow to stick my receipt (and foot) up that clerk's ass. How hard is it to include a single cardboard slip of paper? Hell... if I didn't notice he gave me the vanilla copy by mistake I would have been screwed of the SE in the first place.

EDIT: Nevermind. It showed up as soon as I redeemed the SE code for all the bonus content.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']EDIT: Nevermind. It showed up as soon as I redeemed the SE code for all the bonus content.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. You're talking about the Fadeshear and Lion of Orlais, right? Amazon sent me a separate code which I've already redeemed. But if those items are "included" in the SE code, I should have waited and given it to someone else. Ah well.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Installing the game to my HDD now. Damn, I love it when mail comes early :cool:[/QUOTE]
Any idea how big the Exiled Prince download is? You'll need to sit through that too before starting. ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Any idea how big the Exiled Prince download is? You'll need to sit through that too before starting. ;)[/QUOTE]
The install is 6.1GB
The Exiled Prince DLC Add-On is 50.01MB
The Official Dragon Age II Soundtrack is...awesome.

Hmm, that means Exiled Prince is on the game disc, just a small download to unlock it. That's going to piss off a lot of people :D

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Interesting. You're talking about the Fadeshear and Lion of Orlais, right? Amazon sent me a separate code which I've already redeemed. But if those items are "included" in the SE code, I should have waited and given it to someone else. Ah well.[/QUOTE]

I got the same code (just shield and sword) even though my copy hasn't shipped yet. Technically, I could cancel and keep the code, but lose my SE.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Hmm, that means Exiled Prince is on the game disc, just a small download to unlock it. That's going to piss off a lot of people :D[/QUOTE]
Interesting. :hot: Yes, I have a feeling there will be some opinions shared about that fact.

Is the SE code an Xbox Live code, or a BioWare Social Network code?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Interesting. :hot: Yes, I have a feeling there will be some opinions shared about that fact.

Is the SE code an Xbox Live code, or a BioWare Social Network code?[/QUOTE]Social Network code.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Installing the game to my HDD now. Damn, I love it when mail comes early :cool:[/QUOTE]

Lucky...UPS has it out for delivering for me, but the irony is that the UPS hub is just one block away from my apartment >_

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Interesting. You're talking about the Fadeshear and Lion of Orlais, right? Amazon sent me a separate code which I've already redeemed. But if those items are "included" in the SE code, I should have waited and given it to someone else. Ah well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I found it a little weird/shifty as well. It's also apparently exclusive to the console you bought it for because I don't see it available for the PC and PS3.

So far so good. 'Black' skin tones while noticeably improved are still laughably disturbing on many different accounts. Last I recall mine didn't (even loosely) resemble a bold bronze Brazilian tan or overly flushed Caucasian cheek bones but apparently mirrors were lying to me my entire life. :roll:

ME TEAM - 2
DA TEAM - -1

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Yeah... I found it a little weird/shifty as well. It's also apparently exclusive to the console you bought it for because I don't see it available for the PC and PS3.[/QUOTE]
It's not outside the realm of possibility that different retailers had different setups. I would like to hear from someone who ordered the SE from Amazon, have them redeem their SE code before redeeming the Amazon preorder code, and confirm whether or not the preorder item unlocks are included.

It's possible but highly unlikely unless Bioware is in the business of giving away money by not bothering to notify the customer and retailer of this. The items weren't present until after I entered the SE code; it was last on the list (both console codes were first). This much I am positive of because they're still present in my redeemed game promotions but I would also love confirmation from another source. If both the sword and shield were already included in the SE armory or acquired from the console codes and we weren't told then I urge people to make some easy cash off of this mishap.

For anybody who imported a save from witch hunt what did your time played say? Apparently the game makes an autosave before you (Witch Hunt spoiler)
go into the portal thing with Morrigan
and that save for me has my right level and everything, but only 2 hours played while the save I manually made right before that has 23 hours played. Is this just the way the system keeps time? I took my save from Origins--->Awakening--->Witch Hunt and the origins save is 63 hours, the earlier Witch Hunt save (which I guess is considered the Awakening save based on the time) is 23 and the autosave from witch hunt is 2 hours. Please tell me I didn't fuck up the order of things. I just want to be sure that all my decisions and stuff transfer over right before I put a bunch of time into the game.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see the whole plot summary button...

[quote name='MSUHitman']On my Gamestop receipt, I got a Bioware code for the sword/shield.[/QUOTE]

Let me know what happens when you use it if you bought the vanilla version. When I gain access to the armory I'm going to check to make sure they are present and accounted for. If they are then I'm giving away my extra code here.

BSN is getting slammed right now, the whole "please log in to log out of logging in" type stuff.
:lol:

Had to switch over from IE to Opera to enter the SE/Gamestop codes.

Umm...simply put, this game is fucking awesome. Miles ahead of Origins. Though I was pleasantly surprised by the demo, I'm still kind of shocked at how much I'm enjoying this game.

I'll be picking it back up later tonight at some point, but I did want to mention that the Mage is a lot more badass than the demo gives it credit for. I'm sticking to the previous build I posted, and so far (on Normal - just trying to get my bearings with the game/squadmates) I'm kicking way too much ass :cool:

Just confirmed both Fadeshear and the Lion Shield are available via home chest so the first person to PM me gets the code on my receipt to unlock them. It expires by the 31st so you'd better use it. Don't bother contacting me if you aren't a contributing member of CAG (join date of 2010 or later with over 70 posts).

Got my copy. I haven't started playing yet, but looking at the manual, I noticed that Eve Myles (Gwen from Torchwood) is the voice of Merrill, making me much more interested in considering her as a romance option.

I'll probably play later, gotta do some stuff now.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Just confirmed both Fadeshear and the Lion Shield are available via home chest so the first person to PM me gets the code on my receipt to unlock them. It expires by the 31st so you'd better use it. Don't bother contacting me if you aren't a contributing member of CAG (join date of 2010 or later with over 70 posts).[/QUOTE]

So the Signature Edition already has that sword/shield so I now have an extra code?

[quote name='MSUHitman']So the Signature Edition already has that sword/shield so I now have an extra code?[/QUOTE]
That seems to be what's happening. I wish I hadn't redeemed my Amazon code first. :p

[quote name='MSUHitman']So the Signature Edition already has that sword/shield so I now have an extra code?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Make sure to enter in the SE redemption code for the bonus content then swing by your home after you've gained entry into the city. It should show up along with everything else on your linked XBL profile on the Social Network site, but if you're extra cautious like me you can verify it in game afterward.

It might be a glitch in the system but I have them both in my inventory as we speak without redeeming the GS code. I doubt I'd end up with duplicates if I entered it now hence why I'm giving mine up. Besides... I'm sure neither of them would be worth much in game anyway.

EDIT: Just as I expected both the sword and shield are worth a paltry 1 bronze whatever the hell they call them. Hilarious. Oh, and
Carver = A slightly less moody but just as annoying older brother of Final Fantasy's Hope thus far. I seriously want to punch him in the face every other sentence it seems. His "wounded second fiddle" act is getting old real quick. Either leave or shut the f*ck up and get with the program already. I was originally postponing Merrill's recruitment but after his companion quest I feel like I have no other choice. WHY SO SERIOUS? The little bitch could have orphaned himself a long time ago if it was "so hard" for him to put his family first. He's a grown ass man now so what's the excuse? I can't wait to get rid of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh, I'm conflicted. IDK if I should get this right away (I forgot to preorder, so I can't get the Signature Edition anyway) or wait till the DLC is out. My concern is I'll finish it and then a DLC will come out that fits into the main story (like ME1's Bring Down the Sky) instead of post-game DLC (as in DA:O, which I prefered). hmmmm

Rollin Blonde Hawkette Archer.
Toss in Aveline & Bethany, and we look like Charlie's Angels in Kirkwall.
:cool:

High damage and low aggro is very nice, just like the demo enemy waves run right past me.
Can't wait to get that skill that does more damage on distracted enemies.

Very glad to confirm the lazy "press 'A' and something awesome happens/button mash with minimal tactics" approach to this game will get you sent directly to a world of rape when it comes to certain enemy types/boss fights in this game (at least on Hard). I purposely focused on minor upgrades, no DLC items and crowd control to speak of besides Chain Lighting/Tempest via PC just to see how far I'd get.

No real issues to speak of until the Magistrate's Order side quest mid-boss fight ran a train on my entire Lvl. 6 team on Hard. Stagger is a motherf*cking PROBLEM - You cannot underestimate it. It took about 7 reloads without any healing items to speak of to beat it. You've impressed me Bioware. Now that I feel comfortable taking the gloves off if you guys keep throwing a few of these nasty surprises my way I'll be extremely content.

About 5 hours in, loving it.

I am, however, kind of an asshole. So, the Blood Dragon and Issac Clarke armor. I accidentally sold both thinking i'd just buy it back... game had other ideas. Me, I blame the Sudafed for me not thinking this shit through. So... am I screwed on this playthrough? Any way to get it back at all?

[quote name='007']About 5 hours in, loving it.

I am, however, kind of an asshole. So, the Blood Dragon and Issac Clarke armor. I accidentally sold both thinking i'd just buy it back... game had other ideas. Me, I blame the Sudafed for me not thinking this shit through. So... am I screwed on this playthrough? Any way to get it back at all?[/QUOTE]

Only as screwed as I am for choosing a mage Hawke and not being able to equip the Blood Dragon armor on anybody, since they stupidly restricted it to Hawke. It's bad for rogues too, but at least they get something out of strength, I think.

Seriously Bioware, warriors are able to use most of these items, while mages and rogues get pretty fucked. At least the weapons aren't restricted to Hawke too.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I love this game.[/QUOTE]

I whole heartedly agree and I wasn't too wowed by Origins. I think the Mass Effect 2 design and possibly engine does help. Glad the main character finally has a voice! Also just small touches really go a long way (quests that are indicated on world map, quality on items so you know what you need or what to sell, and recipes for crafting, ordering stuff are appreciated). :D

Yeah, I agree it's all the small touches that make the game just seem so much more polished than Origins. I love that the main character is voiced. I love the new designs for elves and qunari (even if the elves have the same cat-nose as the Na'vi now). The graphics are a significant upgrade from Origins. The menu system is a lot more intuitive. I'm only about six hours in, but I am already loving Kirkwall and the story's focus on politics and the relationships between factions rather than some existential supernatural threat.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the way you have conversations with companions. I like how they constantly banter with each other just like in Awakening (though as a subtitle reader, it does force me to stop walking and turn around to look at them :) ), but I do miss the ability from Origins to take a companion aside at any time and have an in-depth conversation with them. I do like how the companions all have their own unique look like in Mass Effect 2, but it does make the huge quantity of vendor trash helmets and stuff that I'm looting off of corpses seem kind of silly-- maybe they could have upped the number of belts/amulets/etc. that are dropped instead, so there would at least be a reason to look at the stuff.

One more random observation: The quirky/nerdy/naive character type is normally not my thing in BioWare games (read: Tali), but...

I have to say I like the game so far but the glitches are bugging me a bit. In the opening with Wesley has kinda shuddered and disappeared for a second. It was like a glitch in the Matrix or some junk.

Happens way to much in conversation.

The only thing I've run into so far was in my Origins import-- it said that I saved Vigil's Keep in Awakening, but I'm like 99% sure that I sacrificed the Keep and saved the town instead. Everything else was correct so I wasn't too concerned about it.

OK so what stuff comes with the Signature Edition content and which weapons are in the Black Emporium's "discard pile"? I didn't quite catch everything that was in there.

Edit: I see the Sig. Ed. content listed in the post on the previous page now, but what about what was in the discard pile in the Black Emporium?

[quote name='MSUHitman']OK so what stuff comes with the Signature Edition content and which weapons are in the Black Emporium's "discard pile"? I didn't quite catch everything that was in there.

Edit: I see the Sig. Ed. content listed in the post on the previous page now, but what about what was in the discard pile in the Black Emporium?[/QUOTE]

I don't know that this necessarily helps you, but it is helpful in general:

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/bonus_items/

edit: LAWL so I got the PS3 Amulet of Ashes (best buy item) for nothing. Just go to http://social.bioware.com/da2_bestbuy.php and select either of the UPCs from the drop down and select submit. Showed up in my promotions instantly.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I have to say I like the game so far but the glitches are bugging me a bit. In the opening with Wesley has kinda shuddered and disappeared for a second. It was like a glitch in the Matrix or some junk.

Happens way to much in conversation.[/QUOTE]

Seen that happen a few times during the pre rendered cutscenes (ex: Varric opening).

Found the new way to get quick XP and Gold this morning, whole lot easier than the junk dupe in Origins.

Complete side quest.
Go to turn in (has to be a person that doesn't start conversation scene).
Pull out weapon.
When you start to put it away, rapidly tap A while talking to person.
????
Profit!

If you do it, I suggest finding someone that gives lots of gold and little XP unless you want to hit level 20 for a few silver coins.

I only did it to unlock my first spec point.
Money isn't needed at the moment, have all this DLC and no more armor to buy for followers.

So apparently there are an additional 5 achievements for the Sebastian DLC, but people are reporting that they're not unlocking. I'm not too concerned since I'm sure it will be sorted out eventually and I plan on doing multiple playthroughs anyway, but I am curious-- has anyone been able to unlock any of the achievements related to Sebastian?

So I finally finished awakenings, however I heard that I might encounter some issues if I import the save I have currently.

I finished DA:O, then played Leliannas Song, then witch hunt, then Awakenings, I started on Golems of ARGEGJAGhagsdkMarak this morning and i'm almost done with it. Will everything be imported? or do I need to play witch hunt again after I finish golems?

[quote name='joe2187']So I finally finished awakenings, however I heard that I might encounter some issues if I import the save I have currently.

I finished DA:O, then played Leliannas Song, then witch hunt, then Awakenings, I started on Golems of ARGEGJAGhagsdkMarak this morning and i'm almost done with it. Will everything be imported? or do I need to play witch hunt again after I finish golems?[/QUOTE]

The order has to be Origins>Awakenings>Golems>Witch Hunt

[quote name='Hell Monkey']The order has to be Origins>Awakenings>Golems>Witch Hunt[/QUOTE]

In other words: Re-import your Awakenings save to a new Golem's play-through then import the Golem's end game save to Witch Hunt. Finish Witch Hunt and that end game save is the one you will import to DAII (note: it's usually the auto-save).

In other news it seems have no choice but to either respec my entire party, trudge through it (highly probable because I'm stubborn as holy f*ck), finally start upgrading the rest of my party with DLC items, or start a new game to comfortably progress through the first act of the game. They've taken the "LOL INFINITE ELITE RESPAWN WITH GIANT HEALTH POTS!" approach a little too far for my tastes and my tolerance for it is wearing thin. Cross class combos, competent gear, mana/stamina regen and a healthy supply of consumables are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to an initial Hard/Nightmare play-through. Soloing is much harder than expected.

I'm looking forward to making this game my personal bitch soon because now I actually have a reason to f*ck with the system other than boredom.

P.S. - Static armor for companions is only one of many gripes I have with this game. Just... why? Honestly.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Sorry but that doesn't help at all as all that is listed there is the Penny Arcade item & the newsletter item.[/QUOTE]

There's a scrollbox, which you use to scroll down the long list.

bread's done
Back