Dragon Age or Demons Souls?

SEH

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
2igj6nl.jpg
OR
20k5c9z.jpg

Headed to GS tomorrow to trade in some games with the 50% coupon. Not sure which one I should pickup. Looking for some opinions from those who have played both.

I just goozex'd Dragon Age...just couldn't get into it. Demon's Souls on the other hand is frustratingly hard, but VERY rewarding.

[quote name='elessar123']Sell your 5 games, and buy both! Or wait till another B2G1 sale.[/QUOTE]

I'd easily have enough for both, but I don't really think I want two games that are that similar ATM. I'd rather grab one of the two and then something else that's a change of pace. I'll definitely wind up with both at some point down the line, just wondering which one is the more preferred of the two.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']They're not similar.[/QUOTE]
This.

They're not at all similar. They are both very good games. I'd recommend Demon's Souls, just because there isn't anything out there like it, where as Dragon Age is very similar to the old Baldur's Gate style games.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']They're not similar.[/QUOTE]

Similar in that they both require a decent amount of time to play. I don't want to get two games that require large amounts of time and have to split my game time between them.

Haven't played Dragon Age. May one day, just hard for me to get over the elf/dwarf stuff. I love Demon's Souls and am extremely satisfied with that purchase.

If you like hand-to-hand tactics and figuring out things without a party (for the most part) get Demon's Souls. If you like the party concept similar to Baldur's Gate, then Dragon Age.

Another way to look at it is this - you can (eventually) make your character whatever you want in Demon's Soul no matter what you start with. You are locked in with DA. I am not saying which is better, but I know that personally I got a lot of enjoyment (and frustration) with DS. I'm holding off diving fully into DA until next week...although I have played it a bit....wanted to finish up MW2, Uncharted 2 and DS before diving in 100%.

I own and have played both. I've logged about 2 hours into Demon's Souls, fighting to the first boss only to die (after dying many times before that). I've also logged about 80 hours or so into Dragon Age on the PC, completing the game and seeing most of the game's content. I will try to add my perspective into the mix and hopefully you will find it helpful in making your decision...

I'll start with Demon's Souls. As others have mentioned, this game is difficult. Even more so it is unforgiving. It will take you on, chew you up, and spit you out. However, if you can endure, you will be stronger for it. For example, in my brief experience with the game, I died countless times due to hidden traps, enemy tactics, etc. From this failure, I began to learn where the traps are located and how to best avoid them, how to properly take on various enemies and so on making me a more effective/efficient player. Initially, this game can be very frustrating, but if you find it interesting and do not give up, I am sure it will pay off, providing one of the most rewarding experiences a game can offer.

Moving on, Dragon Age: Origins is an entirely different beast. If you have played any of Bioware's previous RPGs (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire), you should feel right at home with Dragon Age. As you may know, you first create your primary character, determining the race and class you wish to play as. From your selection, you get to play through one of six origin stories. Upon completion of your origin, you are seamlessly introduced to the main story arc of the game. Combat sequences often require you to pause the game and choose actions for your party members.

To wrap things up, if you are more interested in an incredibly unforgiving yet rewarding real-time action RPG, go with Demon's Souls. If you are more interested in semi turn-based strategic RPG that places a much greater emphasis on story and character development, go with Dragon Age: Origins. All in all, I think both games are great and you will not be disappointed.

*Disclaimer: As mentioned, I played Dragon Age on the PC, which is, from what I hear, superior to the PS3 version. Not sure if this makes much of a difference.

Dragon Age is great for the player who enjoys roleplay and story driven content. As such, the game tends to hold your hand and is very easy for the casual player. I found that the skilled player seeking more of a challenge from battles will be frustrated with the simplicity, especially when the game completely breaks in terms of balance around level 15. With proper tactics set up, you can sleep your way through fights or not even participate at all with the exception of the final boss. Dragon Age is a good game, but many flaws keep it from greatness.

Demon's Souls is the complete opposite. Story is riddled with cliches and the voice acting is bad, real bad lol. What it lacks in charm, it courts with intense battles and a demoralizing learning curve. By intense, I mean the dread you feel since you're putting your exp and gold on the line every corner you turn. Death means reclearing the stage back to your corpse and if you should fall again before reclaiming it, all the souls you were carrying are lost for good (basically exp/gold not spent is lost). That said, dying is incredibly easy if you're careless and don't learn from your mistakes well. The skilled player will revel in the difficulty and feel incredibly proud with every boss cleared, as well as sigh in relief. It truly is a breath of fresh air in a stagnant genre and I haven't even mentioned the multiplayer aspect.

Demon's Souls is amazing and I'd recommend it over DAO simply because it dares to be different. If you've played any Bioware game, you've already played Dragon Age. DS is just in a league of its own.

Oh yeah and console versions of Dragon Age are shit. Get it for PC if you go with it.

i would definitely choose Demon Souls. This is my sleeper hit for the ps3 this year. Its just so satisfying to beat a stage after slowly learning all the kinks from dieing. You wont be dieing cause the games cheap, it will be because of your own errors

owning both, I'll leave it at this:
If you wanna be pissed off a lot,and have moments of extreme joy, go with demon souls.

if ya wanna kill a lot of things ina group, and have sex with an elf, go with dragon age.

Both are fun games, DS cost me my six axis though....

I'm glad I ran into this question because I was facing the same problem but chose Dragon Age because because of the story driven content everyone was talking about (I haven't played or received it yet) and I have a history to like BioWare games. Demon's Souls looks like an amazing game but as everyone says is a bit difficult. However, I'm still worried about some issues about Dragon Age that I'm hoping someone can help me with/put me at ease about.

Everyone is saying the game takes much longer to complete than many other games with some clocking in 80+ hours. How does this play in with the timing of the story--is it drawn out, does it seem kinda thinned or is it brilliant the whole way through? I loved KotoR I/II (though I didn't complete either due to various reasons), and absolutely LOVED Mass Effect. Looking back at KotoR though, one thing I didn't like was how I'd easily miss something and get lost for a while, just kinda wandering around not knowing what to do. I'm just hoping I won't have the same problem with Dragon Age.

The setting is also a small problem for me. As someone who hasn't really enjoyed this type of fantasy setting much (although I did really enjoy WoW for the month that I played it) I was wondering if it's incorporated into the game well for me to enjoy it (hope that doesn't sound stupid). I don't like it or dislike it just doesn't stand out to me over over environments. I really liked the settings in Mass Effect as a comparison.

Edit: sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, it's a bit late :p

As someone who has owned(and sold/traded) both, I can say that Demon's Souls will frustrate you to no end, but once you get to know how to avoid death(by being cautious and not running headlong into the next room), then the game will become very rewarding.

I made it up to the first boss character after repeated, repeated runs through the game trying to figure out what the hell I had to do next.

I ended up watching a YouTube walkthrough to find out where the switch was that I needed to hit.

Anyway, as for Dragon Age, if you liked the KOTOR games(I didn't)and you like essentially just falling asleep while your character seemingly does everything except choose the dialogue for you, then you'll love it. About the only thing I found interesting in the game was letting the companion you get early on go looking for stuff for you in each room you enter.

After I sold/traded both I ended up picking up Sacred 2, which is a much more satisfying experience for my liking.

Do you guys think that this game is going to be hard to find eventually? I want to play borderlands first, but I'm worried that by the time I get ready to pick this game up, I'm going to have to hunt for it like crazy.

That's a good point: I think Demon's Souls will become (if not already) rare very quickly. Dragon Age will be around for a while and drop in price super quick. Definitely not the case with Demon's Souls, since it's holding value well.

Well, thank you very much for your opinions guys. I think I'm going to go with Demons Souls.

Again, your input is very much appreciated.

If you get frustrated easily don't get Demons Soul's.

But if you can stay calm get it. Very Very good game.

I didn't like Dragon Age... Too much talking and such.

I get frustrated and pissed off at my games VERY easily. That's just the way I am though. It's never deterred me from playing through a game. Also, since I know you're actually meant to die, multiple times, I doubt I'll get as irritated.

I've been bouncing back and forth between the two games as well, but based on what everyone has said so far I think I may jump on Demon's Souls first. Dragon Age has seen a few sales recently, so I'd expect that to drop in price first, so I'll pick that up when it does.

Hopefully gohastings.com will have that 30% off used deal after Christmas, that'd be the perfect time for me to Demon's Souls (assuming they have used in stock lol).

Great choice, though really, both games are fun. But if you truly want a challenging but rewarding game, Demon's Souls is your ticket.

i rented dragon age to check it out, and to be honest after putting about 10 hours into it i feel the game is just lacking, and i was a big fan of KOTOR i just can't get into dragon age, i haven't played demon souls but its on my to buy list

demon's souls hands down. just finished my first game last night. it's not a lofty RPG like most, but instead emphasizes gameplay and you'll feel very satisfied after finishing it.

I love the hand-to-hand combat in Demon's Souls. It's tough as hell to play as a knight, but it's very fun, I think. The tactical side of Demon's Souls is awesome, so I'll say you should get Demon's Souls.

I think I read on IGN(maybe) that Demons Souls did pretty well, so they are doing a second print(if that's what you call it), so hopefully it won't become hard to find. Something that hasn't been touched on is the lack of a story. You are essentially in a hub, and go to different levels through a loading screen. You find a few extra characters that will sell you magic, and things like that. Each section has a boss, and once you clear it, the next level opens up(level 1-1, 1-2, etc.) Everything you buy in this game is with souls, and if you die, you have to find your way back to your body to retrieve them. One awesome aspect is that your character has options for combat(dual wield, sword and shield, using two hands for one weapon, heavy armor with reduced mobility, light armor with noticeable speed increase) that are implemented better than Ive seen in any other game of this type. You said you were probably going to go with this one, so I have some advice that I really hope you see after playing this game myself. 1. Don't give up! I know that sound s stupid, but after renting this game and telling myself I would love it, 3 hours in I was seriously about to return it and badmouth it for all eternity. Then I learned what I was doing wrong, got better, and played the crap out of this game. 2. Play online if at all possible! I couldn't get online with this until about two weeks after I bought it, and when I finally did, it was SO much easier, and a lot more fun. 3. Youtube will save your ass with bossfights. As someone previously mentioned, youtube saves a lot of frustration by showing the deceptively simple patterns of the bosses.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Demon's Souls. Dragon Age is boring as fuck.[/QUOTE]
Yea, I agree. Dragon Age can run fairly boring at times. It is not hooking me in like Mass Effect did. The pacing is kind of bonked - in Mass Effect, it felt like the fate of the universe really depended on you. In DA it is like, "get to it when you are ready...".

And about difficulty. Dragon Age can be very difficult at times to, not Demon souls difficult; but it is difficult.

[quote name='Jodou']That's a good point: I think Demon's Souls will become (if not already) rare very quickly. Dragon Age will be around for a while and drop in price super quick. Definitely not the case with Demon's Souls, since it's holding value well.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that Demon's Souls is going to become that rare since I still see a BUNCH of copies used at virtually EVERY Gamestop I go to. People just get frustrated with it too quickly and they end up trading it in to end said frustration.

That's why I'm waiting and thinking about buying a used copy about 6 months from now. By then the glut of copies from frustrated gamers should've driven the price down to $30 or under used.:D

What I'm still wondering though, is how they let those messed up guides for the DE go out with such a problem with them.

Then again, I guess maybe Atlus was wanting to get the game out prior to the holiday season so it'd still be fresh in everyones mind.

I prefer Demon Soul's over Dragon Age. It is nice to have games in this day and age that cater to the hardcore gamer. I have fun with Dragon Age, but it just felt like a breeze =|

[quote name='Thomas96']GS has the game used for 49.99... I might just go for that.... I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age? Best Buy is selling it after Christmas for $39.99 new.

[quote name='SEH']Dragon Age? Best Buy is selling it after Christmas for $39.99 new.[/QUOTE]

My bad, I didn't even mention which game I was talking about.. it was Demon Souls. I'm going to get this game in the next couple of days. I'm so worried that its going to become rare.

I doubt it's going to become rare anytime soon. Are there any current gen games that are hard to find? (LE/SE/etc not included)

I don't think Dragon Ages on any console stand up enough compare to the PC version of the game. If you want to play Dragon Ages the best way to enjoy it is on your PC. Demon's Souls on the other hand is just right for console. There are no complicated button mapping or maneuver. I recommend Demon's Souls if you're getting a game for "PS3". As hard as Demon's Souls sounds it's just trials and errors. I actually appreciate games like this more nowaday. It totally worth the $60 price tag (though thanks to this forum I got it for $42) with all the hours I spent dying and trying to collect things on it. If you are getting Demon's Souls be prepare that you WILL suffer many nonsense deaths in the game and may be stick your controller to your hand so that you won't throw it haha.

[quote name='luan87us'] If you are getting Demon's Souls be prepare that you WILL suffer many nonsense deaths in the game and may be stick your controller to your hand so that you won't throw it haha.[/QUOTE]

I only found this to be the case in New Game +

[quote name='bjstucker']I only found this to be the case in New Game +[/QUOTE]

I'm up to level 52, and I haven't suffered any deaths that weren't my fault either. The only times I've died is when I was a little too ambitious and not careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bjstucker']I only found this to be the case in New Game +[/QUOTE]

there's no different between NG+ and NG. In NG+ you just face the same enemy. They still kill you in certain number of hit as if you were playing the game for the first time. It is just more annoying with the blackphatom invading you more often. The difficult in NG+ only raised to match your level.

[quote name='luan87us']there's no different between NG+ and NG. In NG+ you just face the same enemy. They still kill you in certain number of hit as if you were playing the game for the first time. It is just more annoying with the blackphatom invading you more often. The difficult in NG+ only raised to match your level.[/QUOTE]

No. The difficulty is raised a standard amount. THe game could care less about your level. The jump between NG and NG+ is pretty high in my opinion. Enemies do WAY more damage and have a ton of HP. With NG++ things start to level out a lot and the game gets a lot easier, though the more + you go, the better tactics the enemies use.

[quote name='Saint Noir']No. The difficulty is raised a standard amount. THe game could care less about your level. The jump between NG and NG+ is pretty high in my opinion. Enemies do WAY more damage and have a ton of HP. With NG++ things start to level out a lot and the game gets a lot easier, though the more + you go, the better tactics the enemies use.[/QUOTE]

I concur...although I have not moved on beyond NG+....I was whipped (thanks to the help of a 3 year old) by a Blue Eyed Knight on 1-1 on NG+. Just as easy to get killed if you are distracted in NG+ as it was in NG.

bread's done
Back