Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

So my second playthrough is going SO much faster than the first one. It's a combination of knowing where everything is (for the most part) and skipping much of the dialogue/cut scenes except where I think it may be different.

On my second I'm working on an Arcane Warrior specialization mage, and I'm convinced its the most powerful build in the game, at least of those I've tried. It can deal some major major punishment, and buffs up the rest of the party as well. Something about a mage in heavy armor hacking away with a sword but still being able to use Crushing Prison is just awesome.

Some people here need to remember the spoiler tags.

I just screwed up my game (sorta).
I got to the Anvil of the Void and met the maker of all the Golems. It quicksaved right before I entered the room so I didn't save. During the conversation I decided to side with preserving the Anvil to make more Golems. Immediately Shale says he can't condone this and turns against me, then it overwrites my auto-save, then I am being attacked by like 10 Golems. All my guys have 2-3 injuries so I get wasted (nobody sells effing injury kits). So now I have to revert to a save that is like 2 hours back. Sucks ass.

I am playing an Arcane Warrior Mage and it's pretty cool. I guess i already selected shapeshifter when I was 7 without knowing what I was doing. I would have preferred to pick bloodmage had that been unlocked. Do you only get two specializations? One at 7 and one at 14? Or will I get another at 21?

[quote name='thrustbucket']
I am playing an Arcane Warrior Mage and it's pretty cool. I guess i already selected shapeshifter when I was 7 without knowing what I was doing. I would have preferred to pick bloodmage had that been unlocked. Do you only get two specializations? One at 7 and one at 14? Or will I get another at 21?[/QUOTE]

You only get 2, unfortunately. You likely realize this now, but Shapeshifter is basically useless. On the other hand, the combination of Blood Mage and Arcane Warrior is bordering on broken. Keep in mind that if you unlock a specialty in one playthrough, it is unlocked for all subsequent playthroughs as well (Blood Mage is one of the hardest to learn though, since there are only 2 ways that I know of:
Sparing the desire demon in Arl Eamon's fade nightmare and sparing the blood mage slaver in the Elven Alienage quest
neither of which you would do if you were doing a "good" playthrough, usually)

This is one of those games that I wasn't really into when I first started because I feel like the learning curve is pretty steep, but once you start experimenting with things, trying new tactics, etc, the game is so incredibly deep and rewarding. I can't put this down. I only picked up this game to fill the time before Mass Effect 2 because it was on sale but I'm enjoying this as much as ME1...

[quote name='drktrpr1']This is one of those games that I wasn't really into when I first started because I feel like the learning curve is pretty steep, but once you start experimenting with things, trying new tactics, etc, the game is so incredibly deep and rewarding. I can't put this down. I only picked up this game to fill the time before Mass Effect 2 because it was on sale but I'm enjoying this as much as ME1...[/QUOTE]

Bioware knows what they're on about. No other develor makes so many games that once I finish my first thought is "alright, let's play that again." That's how I was with Mass Effect too.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']So wait... how the heck do you unlock specializations? I'm a level 12 mage, and I haven't even gotten an opportunity to unlock any![/QUOTE]Through books sold by merchants and/or through dialogue choices with characters in the game. Some specializations can be gained from your party members, some through plot choices.

[quote name='erectiontown']yep, mass effect is one of the few games i started up immediately after beating, and i know dragon age will be no different[/QUOTE]
Same with me and ME. However, I think DA is too long for me to play again -- and I have Assassin's II waiting in the wings. Also, I think DA is inferior to Mass Effect, ignoring ME's boring bits and elevator siestas. Maybe I'll change my tune once I beat it (46 hours in), though...we'll see.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Same with me and ME. However, I think DA is too long for me to play again -- and I have Assassin's II waiting in the wings. Also, I think DA is inferior to Mass Effect, ignoring ME's boring bits and elevator siestas. Maybe I'll change my tune once I beat it (46 hours in), though...we'll see.[/QUOTE]

It's infinitely quicker the second time, based on my experience. Although to be fair I'm skipping most of the cutscenes and some dialogue.

Awesome game. I'm only about 12hrs in.

But just wondering, is it a big deal to NOT do the DLC side quests (Grey Wardens keep and Stone Statue or whatever it's called)? Their was no Limited Edition when I bought my copy.

Going through Wardens Keep right now, and really enjoying the game overall. The story is great! I wasn't a fan of ME (I'm looking at you, moon buggy), but I guess I'm in the minority.

Less freedom, less scope, very different feel, a million times better writing.

EDIT: Okay, I shouldn't say "a million times better". After all, one million times zero is still zero.

Dragon Age. A million times A lot better.

Elder Scrolls games are personality-less. Yeah, great, I love all these books you left lying around for me to read, Bethesda! Now... can I have a line or two?

I like to at least attempt to role-play in my role-playing games. Doing so in Oblivion is utterly pointless. You're a floating sword and shield. You're actually a character in a Bioware game.

[quote name='The Crotch']No. You'll just miss out on a few pieces of equipment and one companion.[/QUOTE]
Cool thanks.
Might get the DLC stuff later on, but $$$ is tight sadly. Yay to being a new grad w/o a job! :roll:

[quote name='SuxoR']Hmm since you can compare them...which would you say is better?[/QUOTE]

I'll offer a different perspective than he did. He obviously didn't care for Oblivion, while I thought it was excellent. But even as someone who liked Oblivion, I agree with him that Dragon Age is better. It doesn't have quite the scope or freedom of Oblivion, but it does feel more concise and like its going somewhere all the time. Both are excellent.

[quote name='The Crotch']Less freedom, less scope

I like to at least attempt to role-play in my role-playing games. [/QUOTE]These two statements are contradictory, from my point of view. I've played real role-playing games (D&D and others) and freedom is the main ingredient in actually role-playing.

I may pick up DAO after work today . . .

[quote name='bvharris']I'll offer a different perspective than he did. He obviously didn't care for Oblivion, while I thought it was excellent. But even as someone who liked Oblivion, I agree with him that Dragon Age is better. It doesn't have quite the scope or freedom of Oblivion, but it does feel more concise and like its going somewhere all the time. Both are excellent.[/QUOTE]

I can admire both for what they do. I love the scope of Oblivion and such, but I can appreciate the semi linear take of Dragon Age. Then again I kind of know what I'm getting from each company. Bethesda does the open world with freedom and story that will be there when you are ready. Bioware puts you on the path an lets the story flow with some diversions on the side. I enjoy both.

Oblivion goes too far in attempting to give you a blank canvas. Allow me to compare my favourite RPG ever, Planescape Torment (yes, I know, this is a Dragon Age thread, but fuck you, I'm talking about Torment), and Oblivion.

In Oblivion, you can be anyone. Orc, elf, furry, viking, black guy, warrior, man, woman, thief, mage, crazy-ass-hybrid... doesn't matter. You have no predetermined backstory, either, aside from having been in prison at one point. Freedom!

In Torment, you are a human. You are male. You appear to be in your 30s. You are ugly as sin, and can only choose from one of three classes. Your backstory is set in stone. You have a specific, pre-determind way of walking, a specific way of talking. You do not choose your name. You are limited.

It sounds like the former should be better for roleplaying, but I find that it is not. Computer games are not pen-and-paper. They have very real limitations in their writing. The writers for Bioware, Bethesda, Obsidian, Black Isle, Troika... they can only write for so many of the innumerable characters you have in mind.

The end result of this is that in Planescape Torment, you have a character who interacts with the world around him. His mannerism, his appearance, they are noticed by others in the world around him. People who know him talk about the things he did years ago. Now, what you do going forward is more-or-less up to you, but the point is: there are heavy restrictions in place on who your character is, and because of this, he is a legitimate character.

Compare this to Oblivion. The writers could not possibly create dialogue for all the jillion characters that you could create, so dialogue to and from your character is as generic and vague as possible. You have no backstory, so nobody knows you - you are utterly alone. Your character never has any relationship with other people aside from "floating sword and shield that shows up to save the day". In the end, all that vaunted freedom leaves you pigeon-holed into the role of generic hero the thirty first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']You have no backstory, so nobody knows you - you are utterly alone. Your character never has any relationship with other people aside from "floating sword and shield that shows up to save the day". In the end, all that vaunted freedom leaves you pigeon-holed into the role of generic hero the thirty first.[/QUOTE]I guess thats where my view differs from yours: I don't see scripted backstory or dialog screens/trees as closer to role-playing than the "blank canvas."

Combat-wise, how easy is it to co-ordinate your party members tactics during combat? I loved using different combos in Mass Effect.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Combat-wise, how easy is it to co-ordinate your party members tactics during combat? I loved using different combos in Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]
Much easier. Pausable real-time with full control over party members and the option of an isometric viewpoint.
[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I'd like to add that I freaking loved Torment and think it is one of the finest RPGs ever made. :)[/QUOTE]
Damn straight! Best thing Black Isle/Obsidian ever did.
fuck the Modron cube, though.

[quote name='The Crotch']
Compare this to Oblivion. The writers could not possibly create dialogue for all the jillion characters that you could create, so dialogue to and from your character is as generic and vague as possible. You have no backstory, so nobody knows you - you are utterly alone. Your character never has any relationship with other people aside from "floating sword and shield that shows up to save the day". In the end, all that vaunted freedom leaves you pigeon-holed into the role of generic hero the thirty first.[/QUOTE]

I suppose the counter-argument would be that some might consider the "blank canvas" approach to be the ultimate venue for role playing your character. Since he/she has no backstory or motivations which are ever given to you by Bethesda, you have license to create one for them if you so choose. Yeah, it won't necessarily be reflected in the game world other than through the actions you choose, but the option is there. I know there are several communities that take actual role playing in Oblivion (and I assume Fallout 3 as well) quite seriously, and seem to think its pretty good for it).

[quote name='bvharris']I suppose the counter-argument would be that some might consider the "blank canvas" approach to be the ultimate venue for role playing your character. Since he/she has no backstory or motivations which are ever given to you by Bethesda, you have license to create one for them if you so choose. Yeah, it won't necessarily be reflected in the game world other than through the actions you choose, but the option is there. I know there are several communities that take actual role playing in Oblivion (and I assume Fallout 3 as well) quite seriously, and seem to think its pretty good for it).[/QUOTE]
All that freedom of the blank canvas is still so limiting. You are free!... to play an anti-social loner. Or concoct some other ludicrously elaborate explanation for why your character never has any sort of meaningful interactions with another person besides stab, shoot, or burn. You are free to make whatever backstory you choose, so long as it accounts for why absolutely nobody in all of Tamriel has ever seen you before. Ya start with a blank canvas, and ya end with a blank canvas.

Related to roleplaying, Oblivion also has my usual complaint about the problems inherent with the "save-the-world" storyline in sidequest-heavy games, but that's a problem that plenty of other games have.

But not Planescape Torment!
Or Breath of Fire 3...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion about a game that is not PST.

[quote name='The Crotch']No. You'll just miss out on a few pieces of equipment and one companion.[/QUOTE]
Only the best companion the game has to offer in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Definitely. Not just in terms of how that companion helps in battle, but the character is also very interesting and has plenty of great lines.[/QUOTE]

I agree, he's awesome.

I screwed up and missed an achievement in my second playthrough:
I assumed just fighting on the Werewolves side would give me the Slayer achievement, but I realized after you have to make them kill all the elves. My last save was too far back to make it worth doing over
I'll just grab it on my 3rd playthrough when I'm getting the last Level 20 Achievement.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I picked up DAO yesterday after work. I'm a human warrior named Tarl.*

*A million super points for anyone who knows where I got that name.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't he a stormtrooper in Star Wars? Or am I thinking of someone else?

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']Well too late now. lol[/QUOTE]
You can still do the quest at any time during the game, it's not too late!!:lol: If you bought a new copy there should be an insert with a download code on it. In all honesty though, you really are going to miss out on one of the more interesting characters in the game.

Well, its one of the better games ive played in a while, but everybody has their own taste's. Ive definitely loved owning a 360 this past year, been some great gaming in there...

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I bought DAO a few days ago, and I just became a Grey Warden. My opinion of the game so far: meh[/QUOTE]

Don't give up on it yet. I was very 'meh' up to this point and just a bit after. Get to Lothering, it opens up from there. You're pretty close to Lothering now. I was strongly considering selling the game when I was at the same point you are. Right now, this is a strong contender for my GotY.

Just finished the game. I liked it. I'll list some issues it has, because outside of these issues it's really good.

Combat designed for PC - it works so-so on 360. AoEs destroy your team, and you can't really use them to full effect because your guys bumble into everything. Using traps on 360 is also a struggle.

Itemizaton generally sucks - There's a lot of so-so armor and weapon. There's a few weapons and armor that is really good, so you wind up using that for hours and hours and selling everything else. Where the hell were all the rings and amulets??? I didn't come across any good archer rings the whole game.

Balance isn't that good - You can easily roll through one encounter, then get wasted on the next one. A lot of it has to do with being outnumbered, mages, stunlock, traps, and aoes. The enemy is often set up in good positioning, when after zoning and cutscenes your characters bunch up, making it easy to get destroyed by an AoE or trap.

Wynne - Seems like the most boring character someone could come up with. All the other characters were pretty good, really suprised that wynne was put in the game.

Consoles used to get bad PC ports all the time, so all in all, maybe it's the best they could do with it.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Don't give up on it yet. I was very 'meh' up to this point and just a bit after. Get to Lothering, it opens up from there. You're pretty close to Lothering now. I was strongly considering selling the game when I was at the same point you are. Right now, this is a strong contender for my GotY.[/QUOTE]

I think much of the 'meh' can all be chalked up to the fact that console gamers might have never played a game like this before.(Never Winter Nights 1 & 2 or Baldurs Gate)
Personally I want to declare DAO my favorite GOTY ,but I'm not quite prepared to commit to that.While I do love the game, the most memorable moment was a game breaking action.
When you mix the blood with Andastes Ashes and your entire party turns on you,..unforgettable moment in gaming history that was murdered by the fact that you have to go back to an earlier save to negate it.
Other than that it has no unforgettable great moments.

Wow...didn't see this coming! (55 hours in, Denerim)
Zevran turned on me when one of the other Crows came after me in Denerim. I never expected that to happen, much less me kill him (thought he'd apologize or something). I reloaded, got about 10 more approval points with him and tried again, but again he sided with the other guy. Tried to save him till the end but still had to kill him. No biggie as this was one of the rare times I had him in my party, but still very surprising.

bread's done
Back