Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

$40 for 15 more hours of an amazing game like Dragon Age? Yeah I'll gladly pay that. There are $60 games that don't give you anywhere close to that much value.

[quote name='Halo05']The whole thing sort of points out the problem with DLC. Because everyone expects it, you will automatically create a group of people who will bypass your game's initial release and opt for a bundle further down the road. Obviously I'm not one of them at the moment but I'm pretty sure that I won't be biting on Mass Effect 2 right when it comes out. I avoided Batman AA for more or less the same reason (although I did rent it just to play through it once).[/QUOTE]

I'm getting ME2 CE, but I'll wait on DLC with it as well. Bethesda however has trained me to wait for the GOTY edition for them. Fallout 3 GOTY is epically a good value considering what's in the package.

[quote name='bvharris']So after several unsuccessful attempts I finally
took down that bitch Flemeth
. I'm having a problem though. I'm unable to get Morrigan to teach the Shapeshifter specialization (not to my rogue, to Wynne). I already had her at 100 approval and she wouldn't do it, so I assumed finishing her personal quest would do the trick. No dice. Is this a known glitch or will she just not teach it unless your PC is a mage?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know Morrigan is the only one that won't train anyone if their approval is 50% or higher.
She's an evil aligned npc so I'm guessing they're sticking to the true character which if you notice through the game she disapproves of good actions.
Hope this helps and it's not way too late.

I've just started playing this today after having it on my shelf for over a month. Great game so far. I have two questions that I can't seem to figure out.

1. What is the + (or crosshairs) sign that sometimes appears near Alistair's circle (picture) on my hud?

2. Is there a way to easily determine if an item I've picked up is better than one I have equipped? Doing the compare (x) seems cumbersome when you're carrying n number of items.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I've just started playing this today after having it on my shelf for over a month. Great game so far. I have two questions that I can't seem to figure out.

1. What is the + (or crosshairs) sign that sometimes appears near Alistair's circle (picture) on my hud?

2. Is there a way to easily determine if an item I've picked up is better than one I have equipped? Doing the compare (x) seems cumbersome when you're carrying n number of items.[/QUOTE]

1. That character has levelled up

2. Not that I know of

[quote name='mtxbass1']I've just started playing this today after having it on my shelf for over a month. Great game so far. I have two questions that I can't seem to figure out.

2. Is there a way to easily determine if an item I've picked up is better than one I have equipped? Doing the compare (x) seems cumbersome when you're carrying n number of items.[/QUOTE]

1.Level up icon, just press back and go over to the page that shows his stats and you can press A to level him up.

2. Not that I know of, though looking at the tier of the weapon will usually tell you if its stronger than something else of the same type (ie red steel dagger > grey iron dagger) and each type of weapon generally has the same stats within a certain tier (ie any iron longsword will be the same as any other type of iron longsword except for the listed special attributes & rune slots, if any).

Great game, just piked up Wardens Keep, its fun, and this female I made is the most fun yet, I will buy everything they make for DA:O or any thing Dragon Age.

So it looks like they went back on their word and slipped a single 25G Achievement into Return to Ostagar after all. Probably to entice people like me who have 1100/1100 not to wait until the Expansion pack. It worked.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']$40 for 15 more hours of an amazing game like Dragon Age? Yeah I'll gladly pay that. There are $60 games that don't give you anywhere close to that much value.[/QUOTE]

What he said. It's such a good game, how can people bitch that they're getting such a big expansion? $40 isn't bad anyway, and it's an EA published game/expansion. It'll be on sale or discounted soon after launch.

[quote name='cdubya42']As far as I know Morrigan is the only one that won't train anyone if their approval is 50% or higher.
She's an evil aligned npc so I'm guessing they're sticking to the true character which if you notice through the game she disapproves of good actions.
Hope this helps and it's not way too late.[/QUOTE]
That, uh... doesn't make sense. It's a bug, not a feature, man.

EDIT: Shapeshifter sucks, anyway. Worst of the mage options.

Actually it is supposed to be a feature of her personality. She doesn't like getting close to people so if you get her affection that high then she actually gets more distant from you.

For those that have completed the game, would any of you mind taking a look at where I am at and roughly estimating how far along the game I am?

I've got the aid of the elves, the mages and Redcliffe (just finished and returned the ashes quest. It says I've explored 40% of the world but I don't see any new areas to go to. I went back to Denerim but the Palace is still 'grayed out'. Still looking for the dwarves, I suppose. Just not sure where to go. Also, (just glancing at a guide here, I notice that although I recall completing the mage tower quest, (going to the top floor, I don't recall any of this going back in to the Fade business... I got Wynne, and (I think) the mages committed to help me... did I miss something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I have started this game over 3 times already. Once 10 hours in, another 17 hours in and this last one 23 hours in.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Damn, I have started this game over 3 times already. Once 10 hours in, another 17 hours in and this last one 23 hours in.[/QUOTE]

I've restarted once and think I'll have atleast one or 2 more in me. I want to get a good jump on some of the character specific achievements, that way I don't start the game completely over when I do them, after having beat it. On my mage play through, I went from Lothering (or how ever its spelled) to Redcliffe.

Noticed I have some lcd image burn (image persistence or whatever you want to call it) of the health and mana/stamina HUD from DA last night while I was watching Chuck, guess I should take a break from it for a while as it seems to be wearing off a bit,lol.

you have an lcd and not a plasma or rear projection display?
[quote name='Sdawg']Noticed I have some lcd image burn (image persistence or whatever you want to call it) of the health and mana/stamina HUD from DA last night while I was watching Chuck, guess I should take a break from it for a while as it seems to be wearing off a bit,lol.[/QUOTE]

^yeah, a crappy 4ish year old Olevia lcd, from what I read from google searches its just temporary and its already worn off already. Never thought that it would happen since I'm constantly pausing, saving, reloading, doing item management, etc.

thats pretty uncommon. glad its not permanent.
[quote name='Sdawg']^yeah, a crappy 4ish year old Olevia lcd, from what I read from google searches its just temporary and its already worn off already. Never thought that it would happen since I'm constantly pausing, saving, reloading, doing item management, etc.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Return to Ostagar is up. I'm downloading now.[/QUOTE]

Gah, I was hoping my 360 would have been delivered back from RROD-land before it went up. At least I won't have to log in and look at the depressing sight of 1100/1125. :cry: This is the first thing I'm doing when my 360 returns.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Finished it. It's about the same length as Warden's Keep. I enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

How does the king's armor stack up compared to the rest of the high-end armor sets in the game?

[quote name='bvharris']How does the king's armor stack up compared to the rest of the high-end armor sets in the game?[/QUOTE]
It's pretty damn good, and the sword is really nice for a tank. Even better is you get Duncan's sword and dagger.

is the rouge awful as main character or am I using her wrong? I was tanking with a dwarf warrior through level 8 and then decided i wanted to see the Dalish elf origin story so I made another character, but the longbow seems to just take fooorrrevvver and does little damage. I think I'm giving up on that playthrough at level 6. next up mage.

Archers take awhile to get really good. Once you get most of the skills though they can be downright nasty. The spread shot stuns all enemies in the vicinity, and the last critical hit skill you get can do well over 250 damage.

[quote name='paz9x']so if i havent started this game is there any benefit to having these dlc packs at the beginning?[/QUOTE]

If you horde items and equipment, the then yes to Wardens keep. Though it won't matter for a few hours due to linearness.

I need to get a guide for this. Can't find anything about 5 Mages, 4 Spells or something similar in Mages Tower.

[quote name='ubernes']is the rouge awful as main character or am I using her wrong? I was tanking with a dwarf warrior through level 8 and then decided i wanted to see the Dalish elf origin story so I made another character, but the longbow seems to just take fooorrrevvver and does little damage. I think I'm giving up on that playthrough at level 6. next up mage.[/QUOTE]

My first warden was an archer and like Rei mentioned, it does take a while to get the hang of the class. However I highly suggest you stick with the class because once you get Arrow of Slaying and fire it off from stealth... well lets just say doing 550+ damage makes short work of any mage class enemies you'll come across.

I also suggest pairing your archer with the ranger prestige class, pets will amp up your damage and requires little to no upkeep on your part. Just keep putting all your points into dexterity and you'll be doing ridiculous single enemy damage in no time.

[quote name='craven_fiend']If you horde items and equipment, the then yes to Wardens keep. Though it won't matter for a few hours due to linearness.

I need to get a guide for this. Can't find anything about 5 Mages, 4 Spells or something similar in Mages Tower.[/QUOTE]
Dragon Age wiki: Five Pages, Four Mages

Thanks for the tips. I really love my dwarf tank I originally started with and I just went through the origin of the human mage, who is already pretty beastly. So I need to figure out which one I want to actually finish the game with.

I Always look for a wiki when it comes to big ass RPGs like this and Fallout 3. Thats how i found how to get a Starfang sword on my 2nd playthrough amongst other things.

[quote name='Dasflikko']My first warden was an archer and like Rei mentioned, it does take a while to get the hang of the class. However I highly suggest you stick with the class because once you get Arrow of Slaying and fire it off from stealth... well lets just say doing 550+ damage makes short work of any mage class enemies you'll come across.

I also suggest pairing your archer with the ranger prestige class, pets will amp up your damage and requires little to no upkeep on your part. Just keep putting all your points into dexterity and you'll be doing ridiculous single enemy damage in no time.[/QUOTE]
This is my 5th playthrough, but my first archer. When I used arrow of slaying for the first time my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe the damage.

THANK YOU AGAIN. I just restarted for the 4th time. This time as City Elf. One, the story was fantastic. I dunno how different it is if youre male (also don't know why I strictly play female elves), but the origin story was really well done. Of course, I also enjoyed the Dalish Elf too, but this was even better. AND, it gave me a reason to give all the humans in the game a hard time. Win win. Oh and two, my character is shaping up nicely. She's already proving useful in battle, so obviously I was doing something wrong the first time. Shattershot is hella fun.

What's a good pairing for the rouge-archer? I'm using Allistar as my tank and Morrigan as my mage, but I only have Sten and Leliana. Leliana has a bit too much overlap and wasn't very well suited (at least not yet) for dual weapon so I went with Sten.

Unless you plan on putting points into lockpicking it doesn't hurt to have Leliana as a secondary damage dealer so she can pick all your locks. In my archer game I used her as a melee rogue/bard, Allistar as tank and Morrigan for extra damage and spot healing.

I eventually replaced Morrigan with Wynne since I needed the extra healing.

If you are going to do all your lockpicking (and thus lose out on damage dealing skills) then I highly suggest using Sten with 2h swords. He's a freaking beast. Also go to the circle of the Magi as quickly as possible and replace Morrigan with Wynne when you can.

Have you guys found anything really good in any of the chests? I've read mixed reviews on the merits of investing in lockpicking.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Have you guys found anything really good in any of the chests? I've read mixed reviews on the merits of investing in lockpicking.[/QUOTE]

It nets exp, so its not too bad in my book. Though I've yet to get anything worthwhile in chests. I'm only on the
recruiting part and have just finished Mages Circle and just about to finish Redcliff upon my return. The bard girl is my lock pick and will be maxed after next level up

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Have you guys found anything really good in any of the chests? I've read mixed reviews on the merits of investing in lockpicking.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to write home about, but it is free exp and gold so that right there is enough for me.

Also I don't know about you, but it REALLY bugs me when I leave a dungeon and leave behind some locked chests! :bomb:

[quote name='Dasflikko']
Also I don't know about you, but it REALLY bugs me when I leave a dungeon and leave behind some locked chests! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

That killed me in the Circle. I have 2 levels of lockpicking on my MC because I got rid of Lelania, but there's still like 2 chests in there I wasn't able to open.

I'm probably 60% done or so (?)
Just began the dwarf campaign -- I did some quests out of order (thought I had completed the Mage Circle quest but I somehow missed the entire Fade after-part...and for some reason the underpass took FOREVER to show up on my minimap -- I was almost ready to give up.
with the game. I'm really not stressing about making bad choices. Or choices my party does not agree with, (suck it, Morrigan..) because I'm planning to take a completely different approach the next time. I think when you stress out, with Gamefaqs notes on your lap, you end up missing out on the whole purpose of a game like this.

PS: To those folks that recommended Crushing Prison -- my god.. powerful spell. It even works on many of the bosses. Plus I've got my cool Blood Armor on my Arcane Warrior and am almost uninterruptible when casting. So nice. Flaming Swords is pretty awesome too.

[quote name='ubernes']That killed me in the Circle. I have 2 levels of lockpicking on my MC because I got rid of Lelania, but there's still like 2 chests in there I wasn't able to open.[/QUOTE]

I had Lelania and had level 3 and still wasn't able to get all the chests opened up.

bread's done
Back