Dragon Quest IX Download Event @ Best Buy Sat. Feb 26th & Sat. March 5th

SaraAB

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Just got this in an email:

Link to Best Buy Info page

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Find a participating store at the above link.

Experience the epic world-hopping, sword-swinging, slime-busting adventure in Dragon Quest® VI: Realms of Revelation at a Best Buy location near you. Nintendo representatives will be on hand to give you an in-depth look at this long-awaited RPG. You'll also get a chance to try it out for yourself.

When:
Saturday, Feb. 26 - 12pm-4pm
Saturday, March 5th - 12pm-4pm
(Event times may vary)

Have a copy of Dragon Quest® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies? Be sure to bring it along with you—a special map exchange will be available for the game, accessible via the Tag Mode feature.

Never did the online mode of DQ9. Didn't have my router settings for the DS to get online, plus I know zero people in my area that even has a DS let alone DQ9.

[quote name='storino03']Never did the online mode of DQ9. Didn't have my router settings for the DS to get online, plus I know zero people in my area that even has a DS let alone DQ9.[/QUOTE]

I haven't done it yet either. I'm not sure why Nintendo hates people who like to have a secure network. I hope that situation is fixed with the 3DS.

No event in NJ. That blows.

My two kids (9 & 10) and I all have a copy of the game and are within a 15 minute drive to two locations. We are going to be there at noon for treasure maps and posters.

Thanks OP! I would have missed this otherwise.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']My two kids (9 & 10) and I all have a copy of the game and are within a 15 minute drive to two locations. We are going to be there at noon for treasure maps and posters.

Thanks OP! I would have missed this otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Posters? I was gonna skip out on this thing since the copy I have is in the hands of a friend for an indefinite period of time, but if they're handing out some other junk, I guess I could hop on by. What the heck are the treasure maps for anyways?

Treasure maps locate "grottos" which have their own treasures and bosses. To get this promotional one, it sounds like you need the game to use tag mode.

EDIT: Treasure maps are an "in game" item, not real world, physical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wauwatosa Best Buy. I will be there on 2/26 from 12-4, and I've got all of the legacy boss maps, locker map, and MKS floor map. Stop by to pick them up!!! The event on 3/5 is kind of still happening, you can stop by to pick up the orgodemir map, but I won't be there with there rest of the maps. You'll have to ask an associate in gaming on 3/5 to pick it up. The event on 2/26 is not listed on BB's web site, but it is happening.

I had fun at the first event they had, traded maps with people, filled up my inn, even fought a really hard map boss with two really high level guys. I'll try to stop by this one, though I haven't touched IX in a while... currently playing VI though! I'm going to the Orlando one (Waterford Lakes) next week, hopefully.

Thanks for posting. I also got the email too. Disappointed that the closest is an hour away from me and I'm not too sure if I'll be able to make it. I want to realllly bad though. I went to ALL three events (Gamestop, BB, and Simon mall) this past summer when the game came out. I had a blast meeting other people and playing the game together. I was able to trade and get 7 of the legendary bosses and even play with some high lvl players to help me unlock them to trade with. Overall I had gotten 51 tags from the events which upgraded my hotel! Very neat. Highly recommended...just wish they'd have even more events.

[quote name='chair_home']I had fun at the first event they had, traded maps with people, filled up my inn, even fought a really hard map boss with two really high level guys. I'll try to stop by this one, though I haven't touched IX in a while... currently playing VI though! I'm going to the Orlando one (Waterford Lakes) next week, hopefully.[/QUOTE]

waterford lakes is the one I'd be going to as well! If I can make it...not sure yet.

[quote name='storino03']Never did the online mode of DQ9. Didn't have my router settings for the DS to get online, plus I know zero people in my area that even has a DS let alone DQ9.[/QUOTE]
Didn't DQIX not have an online mode? I remember this being a horrible thing to deal with seeing as how SE seems to have forgotten that you can't find Dragon Quest players everywhere in the US like you can in Japan.

[quote name='Tsukento']Didn't DQIX not have an online mode? I remember this being a horrible thing to deal with seeing as how SE seems to have forgotten that you can't find Dragon Quest players everywhere in the US like you can in Japan.[/QUOTE]

You can't team up, but there is a WiFi shop that updates daily, and online quests.

None near me. Makes sense, though. I was the only person who showed up to the last one. I really wanted one of those Party Slime shirts, too.

Awesome, one of the few NY locations is only a few miles away at my second closest BB (I was actually just there on Thursday to pick up a game for my dad). Definitely will tell my younger brother (who owns it, but probably never plays) about it. Thanks OP, woulda missed it otherwise.

Edit: And I'll be @ the Pokemon event the week after, wowzerz.

Last time they did this at my Best Buy shortly after launch the Nintendo rep showed up to apologise for not having his game saved up to the point where he could access the store. FAIL. No posters, No t-shirts, just pissed off fans. Let's pray they do a better job this time?
Hands together now!

I'm shocked that neither of these is in the DC metro area, it's kind of a major place. I mean, there IS one in Reston, but that's a ways outside the beltway, as anyone in the area knows.

If it was just me, I might still make the trek, but I doubt my fiancee would be too keen to tag along :p

Hmm might go to the March 5th one since none are close to me for the February 26th one. However, my inn as already at full capacity thanks to the first tag event at GameStop...

Ironically I posted this but I probably won't be able to make it tomorrow because of very bad weather! I probably can't make it on March 5th either because I already have stuff planned.

I was planning on heading to the Amherst Best Buy but I doubt I will be getting out due to major snow.

Nothing in Washington, but I guess it's for the best since my ex stole my copy when she moved out even though she doesn't play games. Bitch.

Oh, looks like there's a March 5th event at my local Best Buy. I don't need more tags for the Quester's Rest or anymore Legacy Boss Maps since the remaining will be unlocked on DQVC.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to go to the event so others can get the ones I've beaten...but the majority of my Boss Maps are at 74+...which aren't really helpful. I suppose I could distribute the MKS and Kawasaki Locker grottoes I got from the last event, but doesn't everyone have those already?

Should I even bother? I've been to multiple DQIX events and the Best Buy employees always give everyone an uncomfortable "they're such losers" look to people that participate in those events since, a lot of the time, people are just taking up space and standing in one place playing their DS.

[quote name='sykotek']Should I even bother? I've been to multiple DQIX events and the Best Buy employees always give everyone an uncomfortable "they're such losers" look to people that participate in those events since, a lot of the time, people are just taking up space and standing in one place playing their DS.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you should go. And BB employees who give you grief can just suck it--just ignore them--haters gonna hate, and there's nothing you can do about it, so just ignore 'em.

I wonder how Nintendo America would feel if they heard BB did not make you feel welcome?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would make me want to go even more if they were to look down on me for being in their store for the event. I am long over whatever perception people have of those who go to video game events.

Do you think I could double-up on this event? (In terms of the posters). It turns out the March 5th event takes place at an even CLOSER BB, 5 minutes away instead of 10. I really lucked out.

It looks like I can make it since the snow stopped here, hopefully they will clean up the roads a little more by tomorrow afternoon!

I had fun playing this game and have been to busy to continue playing it. I was going to go to one of these after work since Best Buy is 30 seconds away. Well, none in my state, lol. I guess no one took the Nintendo Rep job yet, too much driving I guess.

[quote name='sykotek']Should I even bother? I've been to multiple DQIX events and the Best Buy employees always give everyone an uncomfortable "they're such losers" look to people that participate in those events since, a lot of the time, people are just taking up space and standing in one place playing their DS.[/QUOTE]

They work at Best Buy.

No matter what you've done with your life, it has to be better than that.

oh crap someone on cag is my neighbor!!!!! bmachine if you dont mind shoot me a pm with your info dude i cant make the event tomorrow but ill be going to the march 6th one at noon before work. i live in wallkill ny would love to hook up with another cager thats into rpgs like me.

Yes, you need to be able to canvass for guests at the Stornway Inn.

I have gone everywhere with this game in tag mode. Flea markets. Airports. The Sci-Fi museum in Seattle. A Weird Al Yankovic concert. Never encountered another person using the feature. I still play it every day to update the store and get the time-released quests. I also got all my gifts from the cameo guests yesterday on my birthday (glad I knew about that). You'd better believe I'll be at the Schaumburg Best Buy a week from today for this.

I don't remember why I missed the first event. Probably that I was either traveling or the weather was terrible.

The 3DS is slated to improve this process, by the way. Assuming that this hasn't changed since the reveal, instead of having to run each game with a similar feature, compatible games will register with the system. When the 3DS is set to canvass, it shares data for all games coded to use the feature and tells you for which ones you've exchanged data. Then you play those games to see what you've gained.

I'm hoping that this causes more companies to use the feature and more (American) players to realize that the feature exists and that they should be trying it.

[quote name='gauu']oh crap someone on cag is my neighbor!!!!! bmachine if you dont mind shoot me a pm with your info dude i cant make the event tomorrow but ill be going to the march 6th one at noon before work. i live in wallkill ny would love to hook up with another cager thats into rpgs like me.[/QUOTE]

I'll be there! Just sent you a PM.

[quote name='WhiteLens']Do you need to be at a certain point in the game prior to download the map?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it only takes about 8-12 minutes to get there. If you are just buying the game that day, you'll find that people at these Connect and Play events are happy to help you along in the game so you can swap maps.

If you have the time, I would pick the game up the day before, and play thru at least the beginning so you can enjoy the opening story parts, but really, people at these events are just so happy to find other players they will help you along.

Its not competitive like Pokemon, so no one is trying to get over on you--though there are bragging rights if you can bring some crazy wicked rare map to share. At these official events Nintendo has usually supplied a special map for the store to share--keep your fingers crossed that they continue to do this and the store peeps know what to do.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to talk with your local players at these events. In Richmond, I actually found that there was a Yahoo Group for DQ9 players who meet on their own to swap maps--use the power of the internet to connect with folks, and its makes it easier for you to find official and unofficial events.

bread's done
Back