Dragon Quest IX (DS) Free Download Maps & Contests at Bestbuy

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I saw local Bestbuy have a big sign "Bring Your DS & Dragon Quest 9 (DS) for free Download Maps & Contents only exclusive in US. 12:00 pm - 4:00 Pm on August 7, 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
This actually started on Saturday at Best Buys and Gamestops, and there was quite a bit of swag to get on that first day, but you just go for the map now.

You should mention it's only at select Best Buy stores, not all of them. The closest participating location to me is over 30 miles away.

Full list of participating locations:

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies Connect & Play Demo Event

Bring your Nintendo DS system and your Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies game to one of more than 300 Best Buy stores on Saturday, August 7, from noon to 4 p.m. for this special DS gaming event.
You'll get to experience Tag Mode and obtain a special in-game treasure map. It'll be available for the first time in the U.S. at Best Buy!
And even if you don't own the game, head over anyway. There will be giveaways (while supplies last) and you'll have a chance to try the game, learn more about Tag mode, and the cool social aspects of Dragon Quest IX.

Note: You must have reached and unlocked Quester's Rest in Stornway before being able to receive the special in-game treasure map via Tag Mode.

Please check with your store for complete details.

Need directions? Use the Best Buy Store Locator.

Locations and events are subject to change. Check with your store for full details.

ALABAMA

Huntsville

ALASKA

Anchorage

ARKANSAS

Little Rock

ARIZONA

Camelback
East Tucson

CALIFORNIA

Bakersfield
Blossom Hill
Burbank
Cerritos
Chino Hills
Chula Vista
Culver City Westfield
Colma
Costa Mesa
Culver City
Dublin
Elk Grove
Emeryville
Fairfield
Fresno
Fullerton
Geary Blvd.
Glendale
Hawthorne
Lakewood
Mira Mesa
Mission Valley
Mission Viejo
Montclair
Montebello
Oceanside
Orange
Oxnard
Palmdale
Pasadena
Pinole
Pleasant Hill
Porter Ranch
Rancho Cucamonga
Riverside
Salinas
San Bernardino
San Carlos
San Francisco
San Luis Obispo
Santa Clarita
Santa Rosa
Sherman Oaks
Stockton
Torrance
Union City
West Covina
West Hollywood
West L.A.
Westminster Mall
Westwood
Woodland Hills
COLORADO
Colorado Springs II
First and Main
S.E. Denver
Southwest

CONNECTICUT

Danbury
Norwalk
Waterford

DELAWARE

Concord Pike
Wilmington

FLORIDA

Aventura
Boca Raton
Brandon
Clearwater
Cutler Ridge
Dadeland
Doral
Florida Mall
Fort Myers
Gainesville
Hialeah
Kissimmee
Melbourne
Miami Beach
Millenia Mall
Naples
Pembroke Pines
Pensacola
S. Tampa
Sarasota
Sawgrass
St. Petersburg
Tropicaire
W. Kendall
Waterford Lakes
Winter Garden

GEORGIA

Alpharetta
Augusta
Mall of Georgia
Savannah

HAWAII

Aiea
Honolulu

IDAHO

Boise

ILLINOIS

Aurora
Bloomingdale
Bloomington
Bolingbrook
Burbank
Butterfield Road
Champaign
Downers Grove South
Fairview Heights
Geneva
Gurnee
Harlem and Irving
Hodgins/Countryside
John Hancock Center
Joliet
Kankakee
Melrose Park
Moline
N. Riverside
Old Orchard
Orland Park
Peoria
Rockford
Schaumburg
Skokie
Springfield
Vernon Hills

INDIANA

Evansville
Fort Wayne
Greenwood
Merrillville
Mishawaka
Valparaiso
Westfield

IOWA

Cedar Rapids
Davenport
Des Moines I
Iowa City

KANSAS

Oak Park
Olathe
Overland Park
Topeka
W Wichita
Wichita

KENTUCKY

Florence
Lexington
Shelbyville

LOUISIANA

Baton Rouge
Lafayette
Shreveport
Veterans Blvd.
Westbank

MARYLAND

Annapolis
Arundel Mills
Bel Air
Columbia
Frederick
Gaithersburg
Germantown
Glen Burnie
Laurel
Rockville
Waldorf
White Marsh

MASSACHUSETTS

Attleboro
Braintree
Danvers
Dedham
Framingham
Holyoke
South Bay
Watertown
MICHIGAN
Ann Arbor
Auburn Hills
East Lansing
Flint
Grand Rapids I
Grand Rapids III
Gratiot
Kalamazoo
Madison Heights/Troy
Novi
Rochester Hills
Saginaw
Taylor Southland Center
Utica
Westland

MINNESOTA

Duluth
Mall of America
Oakdale
Richfield

MISSOURI

Battlefield
Independence
Lee's Summit
South County

NEVADA

Henderson
Las Vegas Ii
Maryland Parkway
Reno
Summerlin
SW Las Vegas
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Manchester
Nashua
Portsmouth
Salem

NEW JERSEY

Bridgewater
Deptford
E. Hanover
East Brunswick
Holmdel
Manalapan
Mount Laurel
Paramus
Paramus Garden State
Princeton
Secaucus
West Paterson
Woodbridge

NEW MEXICO

Albuquerque
W. Albuquerque II

NEW YORK

23rd and 6th
62nd and Broadway
Albany
Amherst
Bay Shore
Broadway (NoHo)
Brooklyn
Commack
Fordham Road
Gateway Brooklyn
Hartsdale
Huntington Station
Levittown
Long Island City
Middletown
Mount Vernon
Patchogue
Poughkeepsie
Rego Park
Riverhead
S. Setauket
Staten Island
Syracuse
Union Square
Valley Stream
West Nyack
Westbury
Yonkers

NORTH CAROLINA

Cary
Fayetteville
Wilmington

NORTH DAKOTA

Fargo

OHIO

Beaver Creek
Canton
Chapel Hill
Dayton Mall
Fairfield Township
Montrose
Morse
Polaris
Reynoldsburg
Toledo
Tuttle Crossing
Youngstown

OKLAHOMA

Tulsa

OREGON

Salem

PENNSYLVANIA

Cranberry
Erie
Oxford Valley
South Hills
Springfield
Whitehall
Wyomiss/Reading

PUERTO RICO

Hato Rey

SOUTH CAROLINA

Greenville
Myrtle Beach

SOUTH DAKOTA

Sioux Falls

TENNESSEE

Brentwood
Chattanooga
Knoxville
Memphis

TEXAS

Alamo Ranch
Austin
Baybrook
Beaumont
Brownsville
Copperfield
Corpus Christi
El Paso
Forum
Frisco
Galleria
Grapevine
Humble
Katy Freeway
Laredo
Legacy
Lubbock
McAllen
Mesquite
Midland
Midway/LBJ
N. McAllen
No. Austin
North Rim
Pasadena
Pearland
Price Plaza
San Antonio
So. Austin
Sugarland
W. Oaks
W. San Antonio
West El Paso
West McAllen
Willowbrook
Woodlands

UTAH

Sandy

VERMONT

Williston

VIRGINIA

Baileys Crossroad
Fairlakes
Manassas
Newport News
Pentagon City
Potomac Mills
Potomac Yard
Reston
Roanoke
Springfield Mall
Sterling
Tyson's Corner
Virginia Beach

WASHINGTON

Bellevue
Federal Way
Lynnwood
Seattle-Northgate
Tacoma
Tukwila

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Tenleytown

WISCONSIN

Bluemound Plaza
Delafield
E. Madison
Eau Claire
Fox Point
Green Bay
La Crosse
Mayfair
Racine
Southridge
W. Madison
Wausau

So, is the map still available? (Does it work the same way as the Pokemon mystery gift downloads?)

It's all going to be on DQVC eventually, but stopping by GS tomorrow anyways, it'll be nice to get the legacy boss map early.

Some misinformation in this thread. The GameStop event was a one day thing on 7/31 where they had a rep that handed out the map in-game. Best Buy is also a one day event, and it is on 8/7 not 8/9 as OP states.

Yea, I missed out on the gamestop one due to work, but I'm for sure going to the bestbuy one. Anyone know if we can still get the one handed out at gamestop?

i hate these limited-time ds events. i missed out free pokemon events and now im gonna miss dq events just because i dont want to pay full price for games.

[quote name='phantomer']i hate these limited-time ds events. i missed out free pokemon events and now im gonna miss dq events just because i dont want to pay full price for games.[/QUOTE]

If it's any consolation, I'm almost positive that the maps being handed out at this North America events will eventually come as free downloads from DQIX's connection with Nintendo WFC. At least, this much as reportedly happened with the Japanese release of the game; these same maps were offered as early promos but later made fully available to everyone.

And with any of the special characters, quests and maps, they're not timed events; they backlog, so if you connect once you can pull everything that's waiting for you.

I should go to this I really like DQIX. I heard they gave away DSi xl systems at the gamestop ones.

[quote name='phantomer']i hate these limited-time ds events. i missed out free pokemon events and now im gonna miss dq events just because i dont want to pay full price for games.[/QUOTE]

lol what? How is this something to complain about?

"Oh sorry sir we'll hold this event 6 months later when the game is in the bargain bin and nobody cares anymore sorry for our marketing efforts in trying to make the game a success."

Either way, since all of these maps will be available via download later on, no one is really missing out on any game content.

Remember, if you just got the game, you have to play until Alltrades Abbey in order to unlock the method to download the VC.

I'm probably interested in going, provided that it's a nice day on saturday.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Remember, if you just got the game, you have to play until Alltrades Abbey in order to unlock the method to download the VC.

I'm probably interested in going, provided that it's a nice day on saturday.[/QUOTE]

No, you only have to play up to Stornway. This is regular tag mode (Canvass for Guests), not the DQVC.

and the best part is tagging up with other DQ players in the area. And you need to tag with 30 people to upgrade your inn, which you cant do by yourself

At the Gamestop one, they were giving away stickers, screen cleaning cloths, posters, DS Lanyards, and if you were the first there, T-Shirts.

The maps given out are legacy boss fights from earlier DQ games. The real advantage of going to these is getting maps from other people that are full of metal king or platnium king slimes, and playing multiplayer.

1) This game is chock full of content and is completely worth full price.

2) You had about 5 different opportunities for great deals on this.

psp games like megaman, monster hunter, etc allow add-on via wifi. anywhere, whenever. same goes for all console games. only ds pulls up these kind of stuff.
i don't mind pokemon stuff since they're insignificant and don't add additional challenges, but for games like DQ, these extra challenges should be available in more convenient ways for everyone. not everyone read internet blogs for events like these, and ppl who'll purchase this game later will be still be screwed.

There is a lot of stuff available via Wifi. There is only one in-game thing you get from this special event, and as others said it will probably be offered over Wifi (the DQVC) later. I didn't really go for the one special map, though. I went for the swag (missed the shirts :bomb:) and tagging other players. I only got 4 players when I went to GS mid-event. I'm going to try to get to the Best Buy one when it starts, though it is a 30 mile drive. Fortunately I have another reason to go down there that day, I'll just have to time it right.

[quote name='Backlash']No, you only have to play up to Stornway. This is regular tag mode (Canvass for Guests), not the DQVC.[/QUOTE]

How long would it take me to get to this point in the game? I plan on picking up DQIX later on today and would have a couple of days to play before the event at BB.

[quote name='emg28']How long would it take me to get to this point in the game? I plan on picking up DQIX later on today and would have a couple of days to play before the event at BB.[/QUOTE]

Five hours, tops.

Yeah, it was 5 or 6 hours for me, but it depends on whether you're rushing to get there and unlock it, or taking your time with the beginning of the game.

Do you have to tag 30 different people to upgrade the inn? My 2 kids and I play everynight together and can tag 30 times pretty easily.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Five hours, tops.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vegan']Yeah, it was 5 or 6 hours for me, but it depends on whether you're rushing to get there and unlock it, or taking your time with the beginning of the game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies.

[quote name='tukai']Do you have to tag 30 different people to upgrade the inn? My 2 kids and I play everynight together and can tag 30 times pretty easily.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Under your scenario you would each get 2 tags and that's it.

Yikes 30 unique tag. Why can't they just do something like the World Ends with You? It will just take you longer to get it.

[quote name='appleyum']Yikes 30 unique tag. Why can't they just do something like the World Ends with You? It will just take you longer to get it.[/QUOTE]

Because doing it this way makes more people buy the game. It makes people nag their friends to buy it, it makes these public events happen, it gets the game more "presence" in the normal world.

Thanks for the heads up! My nephew and I just got back from the Erie, PA best buy. We came out with a free t-shirt, a poster, stickers, and the map download for each of us.

All the t-shirts were L size and they say "It's Party Slime!".

[quote name='Wario64']do you have to download the map to get freebies? i left my ds at a friend's place[/QUOTE]

It depends on the store. Some reports from the Gamestop event had them calling out character names that had checked in, some had them doing a trivia contest, some had them just doing first-come-first-served.

Just got back from my local event, and received the same shirt, stickers, and poster, along with the downloadable map of course. There's no way this shirt is going to fit me, but free is free...

Sent my girlfriend with my DSi to grab this map and some freebies for me, as I'm stuck at work today. She got me a shirt, and 2 packs of the stickers/decals. Said all of the posters were bent, sitting in a box. :roll: No big loss, got the same poster at GameStop last week. Wearing the shirt right now. :D

It's awesome how I can carry around digital versions of the greasetrolls that attempted to hit on my girlfriend by talking about their jobs at Cracker Barrel in the palm of my hand. Thanks Nintendo / Square Enix!

Got my stickers and posters. Plus they had the map from the Gamestop event, which is cool cause they didn't come to my area for that one.

No shirt, though.

:sad slime face:

Pretty cool, tagged 28 people (grr...2 off...). Missed out on the shirt because I wasn't paying attention, but I couldn't see myself ever wearing it anyway...

Best part (or worst part?) was everyone had to wait an hour and a half at the CARY,NC BB because apparently someone deleted the BB employee's save file. He had to start all over again to at least get to the point in the game when you get the Inn.

It was pretty damn funny (and impressive) seeing him get that far that fast!

What a frustrating yet rewarding day.

So I go to one of my local Best Buys (which was on the official list of participating stores) around 11:45 and ask an employee where the event was taking place in the store. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi, can you tell me where the Dragon Quest IX event is taking place?
BB: The Dragon what?
Me: ....Dragon Quest IX? I read online that there was an event today where people could get free maps and promo stuff.
BB: I have no idea....Hey [BB2] do you know about this "Dragon Quest" thing?
BB2: No man, he's like the 5th person to ask about it. *calls manager* Are we doing some "Dragon Quest" thing or something today?
Manager: No, not at this store.
Me: Your store is on the list online.....
Manager: Oh well, then it got canceled.

....right. I cruised up to the other Best Buy near my house (also on the list) and arrived right at 12. As I was walking in, I saw a big sign advertising the event and saying it would be in the game section from 12-4. I walked back to the game section and sure enough, nothing. I asked an employee about it and, again, he had no idea what I was talking about. I directed him to the giant sign in their doorway and, after checking out the sign and asking another employee, he said the Nintendo rep hadn't showed up yet but he should be there soon. I bumped into another DQIX player and chatted with him for a while before leaving around 12:15.

After picking up some PSN cards at K-mart and 3 Dirty Dwarves for Saturn at Play n' Trade (woo!), I figured I'd give Best Buy another shot. I arrived shortly after 1PM and headed back to the games section. Sure enough, the Nintendo rep STILL hadn't showed up BUT the manager offered me $25 store credit "for [my] trouble"! I grabbed 2 more PSN cards ($10 and $20), paid the $5 difference and headed home.

So I didn't get any free DQIX maps/swag, but I got $25 for free and picked up 3 random DQIX characters via tag mode. Can't complain, I suppose! :lol:

I went to the Best Buy in Culver City and successfully got the NOA4 tag and map, but there was NO ONE there, not even a Nintendo rep. I'm not even sure where it was broadcasting from; I assume the video game section.

There was no rep @ my store, but i got stickers and a poster.

Got the noa4 tag though, and a random.

Question: if i dont have dqvc yet in my game, will i still get the map eventually?

At my Best Buy the Rep showed up right on time, and handed out some stuff. Probably around 30 people in total and 15 were actually there just for the event. He left promtly at 4. Seemed like everyone liked it.

Luckily we decided to wait until 12:45p before we decided if we should just head over to another bestbuy. Reason was the rep not only gave us a shirt and sticker, but another rep with him was giving $10 GC for taking a nintendo survey.

I hate Salinas, CA

The best buy (on the list) had no downloads available, just a table where they were promoting the dq9, a store employee was busy apologizing to people for the goof up, but by the time I got there everyone else seemed to have left (about 10 min after start) so I didn't even get any tags. RAGE!!

This reminds me of last week, going to the gamestop event in salinas, (also on the list) where they didnt even get the cart to setup the download quests with. (though they did get shirts and the like)

Anyone in the Santa Cruz, CA area down for some tagging action?

The best buy rep actually couldnt figure out how to get it work. I actually helped her and figure out the problem was the wifi on the DS was turned off.

Sounds like I got lucky with two really cool reps. I got the noa4 tag, but I also go the two reps' tags in my Inn and since I was the only guy who showed up right at noon we played for about an hour. These guys had 100+ hours on their own personal files. Really cool guys.

If anyone got an extra shirt they wouldn't mind parting with, I'll gladly pay shipping. I know it's a long shot, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I got 45 tags today at Best Buy to add to the 5 I got last week at GS for a nice round 50 (and an "award" in the game for getting 50). I got a ton of maps, too, though they aren't as fun as I was led to believe by the people in the DQ9 thread (they are mostly pretty tedious).

I missed out on the shirts, though - those were taken by people who got there before the event even started :cry:. I got more posters and stickers though - big whoop...

It sounds like some of the dud events were a result of them having too many too close together in some areas (while shorting other places). I mean, if you could easily drive to multiple ones that is kind of messed up. They gave ONE to my entire state (after having just 2 GS events last weekend across 40-50 GS stores) so people drove from pretty far to attend (it was 60 miles round trip for me, for one thing). But that probably resulted in greater turnout than the ones that were just miles from each other.

Got lucky in LA today. I was able to get the Masayuki map on top of about 4 others! plus the shirt/stickers... everyone was really chill and we had a good time. I snagged last week's Gamestop map, too (was mad I missed it last week). Nice event, really glad I went.

[quote name='62t']The best buy rep actually couldnt figure out how to get it work. I actually helped her and figure out the problem was the wifi on the DS was turned off.[/QUOTE]

Same here! Only it was more she didn't understand how to canvass for guests.

I went to the Gamestop event last week (stickers, poster, missed the shirt) and tagged about 13 people, played for about 2 hours. Lots of fun.

Best Buy event...disappointing, only 2 other people showed up. The rep let us have two shirts a piece and whatever stickers we wanted. No posters. I hung around till 1:30p, but gave up after that. Here's hoping the next dq event at "Simon mall" locations is better. I need 13 more tags to reach 30.

Aw, I missed both this and the GameStop event. I had no idea about them. Nintendo should send out e-mails about these things.

bread's done
Back