Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

8am GMT or something, sometime when I'm asleep. I could buy an agility ring, of which I already have 10, woo. But new quests, yay!

[quote name='io']
Wait, are you saying it is the same timer reagrdless of floor too? It seems really non-random if the only thing that changes the chests is going in and out of the Battle Records screen and not fighting or anything else. That means you'd always get the same thing if you never went into that screen. Or is the timer running before you even go into the grotto (and not really 0 when you start the grotto - so the chests get set when you first enter based on whatever the timer was) and the quicksave just resets it to 0?
[/QUOTE]
I imagine that changing floors, exiting battle, etc will also cause the treasure to change, but it will change every time. So going into and exiting the menu is just a way of forcing the change at the time you want.

Still having trouble with the S-rank fan... I have no idea what that string of character is supposed to look like.

[quote name='io']So, are like me and Botticus the only ones playing this any more? :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Nope. But counting seconds to open chests, that's just...too hardcore, lol...

When I'm completely bored of grinding grottos and finished all the quests I may get there, but I think knowing what you're going to get from a chest would be insanely spoiling the fun, so that's why I've stayed out of the discussion.

Have fun, though!

[quote name='keithp']but I think knowing what you're going to get from a chest would be insanely spoiling the fun[/QUOTE]
I thought that until my game clock crossed 200 hours and I had yet to even see the chests I would have a 1% chance of getting good items from. :lol: I've loved the game, but the post-game is severely hampered in fun and feasibility without access to multiplayer/tagging.

[quote name='pete5883']I got my 7th fygg, and I know where the 8th is. How long till I finish the game?[/QUOTE]
I'd say you're around 3/4 done.

I'm still running around and completing grottos and quests, but I'm definitely not into doing the timing thing. Unfortunately, even when I beat lvl 52 and 64 grottos (from GameStop tag event), the maps I get are only for grottos in the twenties to forties. So I guess I need to level up to get better maps. But I need better maps to level up more efficiently, so it's a bit of a pain. Not sure how many more hours I'll put in, but it's still fun for now (I think I'm at about 80 hours total).

[quote name='io']So, are like me and Botticus the only ones playing this any more?[/QUOTE]

I'm playing but I'm only about 23 hours in or so...you guys are WAY ahead of me. Just defeated the Alltrades Abbey dude.

[quote name='pete5883']Huh? I thought the new stores went up at 8am?[/QUOTE]

Does the store update every day? I only just unlocked it.

[quote name='botticus']I thought that until my game clock crossed 200 hours and I had yet to even see the chests I would have a 1% chance of getting good items from. :lol: I've loved the game, but the post-game is severely hampered in fun and feasibility without access to multiplayer/tagging.
[/QUOTE]

Like I said I may try timing when I get bored but right now I've clocked about 94 hours and it's still fun grinding grottos and doing other quests.

[quote name='Backlash']I'm still running around and completing grottos and quests, but I'm definitely not into doing the timing thing. Unfortunately, even when I beat lvl 52 and 64 grottos (from GameStop tag event), the maps I get are only for grottos in the twenties to forties. So I guess I need to level up to get better maps. But I need better maps to level up more efficiently, so it's a bit of a pain. Not sure how many more hours I'll put in, but it's still fun for now (I think I'm at about 80 hours total).[/QUOTE]

Your 52 and 64 grottos should definitely drop higher maps, keep beating them. I heard one of the guys at a tag event talking about the percentages, I think he said it could be 7% higher? I can't really remember the specifics.

[quote name='bmachine']I'm playing but I'm only about 23 hours in or so...you guys are WAY ahead of me. Just defeated the Alltrades Abbey dude.

Does the store update every day? I only just unlocked it.[/QUOTE]

The store updates every day, yes.

[quote name='io']And if you figure out the characters for that S-rank lance let me know, because I needs one of those too ;).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='botticus']Still having trouble with the S-rank fan... I have no idea what that string of character is supposed to look like.[/QUOTE]

i kinda stopped playing. i'll probably pick it up again this weekend. i need to start grinding grotto bosses for armor.

s-rank weapons are fun but then they're not as good as falcon slashing uber falcon anyway so it kinda sucks. =(

[quote name='io']
DQVC this week is "Fingerwear Fayre" (rings).

I had Prayer Ring, Rousing Ring, Sober Ring, and Catholicon Ring in my store - nothing too great.
[/QUOTE]

I had a few rings in my store. I bought a Life Ring and a Rousing Ring just for alchemy purposes.

[quote name='kainzero']

[/quote]Yeah, I see that one, but it looks totally different in the Flash chart. :/

s-rank weapons are fun but then they're not as good as falcon slashing uber falcon anyway so it kinda sucks. =(
And yeah, that's probably the biggest bummer. I want to use the Nebula Sword, but... why? At least I don't use swords for my other people, so the other weapons are decent upgrades.

Currently have my Luminary rocking the full Metal Slime gear + lance. Too bad he's an awful, awful attacker.

[quote name='bmachine']I'm playing but I'm only about 23 hours in or so...you guys are WAY ahead of me. Just defeated the Alltrades Abbey dude.[/quote]
Doing a lot of wandering?

Does the store update every day? I only just unlocked it.
It does, but don't get your hopes up. Every week has a theme, and the theme for most weeks is "garbage."

[quote name='pete5883']Huh? I thought the new stores went up at 8am?[/QUOTE]

It is around 1am for me.

[quote name='keithp']Nope. But counting seconds to open chests, that's just...too hardcore, lol...

When I'm completely bored of grinding grottos and finished all the quests I may get there, but I think knowing what you're going to get from a chest would be insanely spoiling the fun, so that's why I've stayed out of the discussion.

Have fun, though![/QUOTE]

Well, if it wasn't for getting the tag mode grottos with metal king slimes and the high ranked chests I probably would have given up on the game. The "leg up" those have given me is keeping me going past the 115 hour mark at this point. I was just reading what is necessary to beat the legacy bosses though - they are talking about getting ALL classes to 45 and a main one to 99 and revocating it just to handle the lower level ones. I'm nowhere near that. I think I'll just go hunt MKS and get my levels up a bit and get the stat boosts from the different classes. I can't even begin to touch level 1 Baramos yet.

And still, given the uncertainty of the flash chart and Japanese characters, not to mention the possibility of having the timing be off, it is still a fair mystery as to what you are going to get. I only have one S-rank chest in the grotto I'm doing this on and it is on the 9th floor. So it still takes a while to get down there then I have the uncertaintly of what I'm going to get. It is still fun and somewhat of a surprise when I do get something from it. If I was relying on 1% chances for things I'd have given up long ago, though.

I've also never used swords and they say that falcon slash thing is a necessity (for legacy bosses). Also, the gladiator class which I've ignored. Some strategies suggest 2-3 gladiators and all chars using falcon slash. Sounds boring to me. The thing is, while I've gotten Metal Swords and even just got a Supernova sword from my S-rank chest last night, I didn't even have a falcon blade till a few days ago (gotten from some red chest I had missed earlier). I just never followed the sword thing, as that was so cliche - it sucks they made those the best weapons as they are in every RPG ever made :roll:.

Edit: YES, I finally got the poker (the S-rank lance). Botticus, I don't know how to describe it and can't cut and paste from the flash chart, but if you go to 6BEC-L, 9th floor S-rank chest it is the one at 21 seconds. If you figure out the fan one let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
So last night I was running around my high-level grotto looking for MKS and not doing the timing thing, and what do I get from the S-rank chest? Another pair of Dragonlord claws! So, yeah, I guess I got them the "legit" way now :lol:. (I also picked up 2 Reckless Necklaces!).

[quote name='io']So last night I was running around my high-level grotto looking for MKS and not doing the timing thing, and what do I get from the S-rank chest? Another pair of Dragonlord claws! So, yeah, I guess I got them the "legit" way now :lol:. (I also picked up 2 Reckless Necklaces!).[/QUOTE]
I once got a Reckless Necklace. I only need about a dozen more.

By the way io, when looking for the Critical Fan, look for the entry starting with U, backwards c, and backwards 5.

Just about to revocate my second round of classes, which means 5 more (Armamentalist/Luminary guy is always way behind, plus 4 more for everyone). And my bestiary is over 90% complete!

Woke up this morning at 4 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep so I grabbed the DS off the nightstand, grinded my high-level grotto, and popped a metal slime sword from a chest! I was pretty happy. I've gotten a lot of Reckless Necklesses from that grotto too, but was surprised to see the sword.

[quote name='io']So, are like me and Botticus the only ones playing this any more? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm still playing DQIX, but I don't really have anything to add to the conversation since I'm lightyears behind everyone here in the game. I just got the first fygg yesterday. I'm actually more concerned about getting the last 4 tags to reach the 30 I need to upgrade my inn. I've been to 3 tag events and still only have 26 tags, most of which I got by driving 2 hours to one of the mall events. I live in a small town, so I'll probably never reach my 30 tags unless they have another Gamestop event or something like that in my area again. I don't suppose anyone here is in Upstate South Carolina and would like to tag sometime?

[quote name='botticus']I once got a Reckless Necklace. I only need about a dozen more.

By the way io, when looking for the Critical Fan, look for the entry starting with U, backwards c, and backwards 5.

Just about to revocate my second round of classes, which means 5 more (Armamentalist/Luminary guy is always way behind, plus 4 more for everyone). And my bestiary is over 90% complete![/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will probably try to grab that and then be done with the timing thing - well, except for the Necklaces maybe. Just curious, what are you using them all for? I have about 4 now and can't think of anything to use them on. It looks like you need alot for certain clothing but since I'm just using Metal Slime Armor now, for the most part, I didn't see the point of that right now.

By the way, what does the character string for Reckless Necklace look like? I might as well try for those on my way down to get the fan.

You are SO far ahead of me exp wise though. My highest character is level 70 (and no revocations yet). I'm just been bumping up all the other classes to get skill points to put into stats upgrades (HP and resiliance mostly) to be able to handle Baramos at level 1. I don't think I'll be able to take every legacy boss to level 99. That is just way beyond extreme! I guess it would be nice to get the beastiary at 100%, but that takes quite a while as well (mine is at 81% though it is very slow going now - in the last 10-20 hours I've only got one or two new grotto bosses plus I ran into some golden turtle thing in a grotto that wiped me out). I'm also still trying to finish up the character quests and have plenty of weapon quests still to do since I have yet to touch fans, whips, staves, bows, axes, or hammers!

Oh yeah, the other limiting item seems to be Orichalcum which you need in quantity if you want to upgrade the metal slime gear. I got one surprising drop though last night - a MKS actually dropped one of those! I've killed dozens of them now and that's the first time I ever got a drop. I guess the odds are pretty low. I'd assume it is a waste of time trying to steal from them (given that that takes away an attack). My critical attack spear ability actually gets them about half the time though, so I suppose I could try stealing with the two chars that do metal slash (I rarely get them killed that way as it takes 3-4 turns, though it does happen). One time I had to kill the same one 4 times in a row, though, because the stupid Slugly Betsy kept ressurecting it :lol:.

I'm just using Reckless Necklaces for al the fancy clothing. I'm actually not wearing it, but I'm doing my best to fill out my alchenomicon.

Orichalcum eventually becomes pretty easy to come by, once you start fighting legacy bosses over and over again - after you've gotten all the Mini Medal rewards from the guy in Dourbridge, you can start buying it with your extras.

I'm finding that when revocating my main character, who is really my only solid damage dealer, I'm not really having much fun. I can survive in higher level grottoes, but fights take forever because everyone is doing < 100 damage (hooray for Multiheal). Thinking about cutting my addiction back to just a DQVC, single grotto and legacy boss run on a daily basis.

At 90 hours, I finally beat the game. Contrary to what the guide said, Barbarus and Corvus went down like chumps. I had a lot of trouble with Lleviathan, due to his high critical hit rate.
I've got to clear the grottos at a high rate. Shogums here I come!

[quote name='keithp']Woke up this morning at 4 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep so I grabbed the DS off the nightstand, grinded my high-level grotto, and popped a metal slime sword from a chest! I was pretty happy. I've gotten a lot of Reckless Necklesses from that grotto too, but was surprised to see the sword.[/QUOTE]

Found my first Metal Slime Sword as well this morning. After literally 100+ runs through a couple of grottos with multiple Rank-A chests, it's the first metal slime piece of equipment I own. In fact, I actually pulled a Rank-S weapon (Knockout Rod) before any of the metal slime items. I can see why folks do the "timing" thing after grinding for many hours getting pretty much nothing from Rank A and S chests. Frustrating.

I'm going to try the timing thing on my 2nd highest level map. It's got 4x Rank B, 4x Rank A, and 2x Rank S chests; two of the Rank A on the third floor. Now if I can just figure out how to translate the Japanese characters...

Got pretty lucky and pulled a high level Fire map last night with Metal King Slimes on the first floor. Grabbed 2x Gold Bar and the Knockout Rod from that dungeon. Pretty nasty monsters in that one. Multiple Birds of Terrordise paired with a Hell's Gatekeeper = NO Fun. Had to use Zing for the first time in quite a while.

Just got beat by
King Godwin
which is annoying because I've steamrolled all the other bosses. I was expecting an easy run until the last boss. Still missing a bunch of alchemy recipes.... I thought I was very thorough.

[quote name='pete5883']Just got beat by
King Godwin
which is annoying because I've steamrolled all the other bosses. I was expecting an easy run until the last boss. Still missing a bunch of alchemy recipes.... I thought I was very thorough.[/QUOTE]

FYI on the alchemy recipes:
Some recipes aren't accessible until the post-game. Don't kill yourself backtracking if you think you missed some before then.

It would be nice to get some translated pages from those japanese sites.

I wouldn't mind doing the timing trick but it seems like work than fun.

[quote name='2DMention']What's the next big game for DS? 4 Heroes of Light?[/QUOTE]

The next big DS game is the new Professor Layton even though it's less main stream, then Etrian Odyssey 3 for the dungeon crawling crowd. Finally you have 4 Heroes of Light with nothing else in the announced future to my knowledge.

EDIT: Forgot Golden Sun was going DS and not 3DS.

EDIT 2: %*@#! Forgot about Ghost Trick too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']I love how the topic most bumped in the DS section is a 2 month old game.

What's the next big game for DS? 4 Heroes of Light?[/QUOTE]

Probably Golden Sun, and then hopefully Dragon Quest 6 ds. I'm not too interested in FF 4HoL.

4 Heroes of Light is supposedly total shit, I would be cautious about it.

Next big DS game for me is Ghost Trick. Not much else of interest, except maybe 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

EDIT: In Japan now on my honeymoon. Just on the way from the train station to the hotel I got a tag. Dude was a level 99+1 gladiator with over 500 hours and over 1000 grottoes cleared. Everything was 100% (alchomicon or however you spell it, bestiary, quests) except for wardrobe which was 99%. My husband is regretting he didn't listen to me and didn't have his DS in tag mode. :lol: We are going to the Square Enix store today and the Dragon Quest bar later in the week so we should be getting more tags.

God damn, I forgot about Ghost Trick too. Probably my most wanted game currently announced for the DS. Can't believe I forgot about that game. I didn't plan on getting 4 Heroes of Light anywhere near release anyhow, so I probably would have found out sooner or later.

One day I'll go to Japan myself...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']4 Heroes of Light is supposedly total shit, I would be cautious about it.

Next big DS game for me is Ghost Trick. Not much else of interest, except maybe 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

EDIT: In Japan now on my honeymoon. Just on the way from the train station to the hotel I got a tag. Dude was a level 99+1 gladiator with over 500 hours and over 1000 grottoes cleared. Everything was 100% (alchomicon or however you spell it, bestiary, quests) except for wardrobe which was 99%. My husband is regretting he didn't listen to me and didn't have his DS in tag mode. :lol: We are going to the Square Enix store today and the Dragon Quest bar later in the week so we should be getting more tags.[/QUOTE]

I think the only way I will get any tags is going to Japan. Well that or hoping I luck into some when I go to a bigger city or college town. That is assuming I remember to charge my DS beforehand. Curse you zoo and a dead DS!

[quote name='SteelSD']Found my first Metal Slime Sword as well this morning. After literally 100+ runs through a couple of grottos with multiple Rank-A chests, it's the first metal slime piece of equipment I own. In fact, I actually pulled a Rank-S weapon (Knockout Rod) before any of the metal slime items. I can see why folks do the "timing" thing after grinding for many hours getting pretty much nothing from Rank A and S chests. Frustrating.
[/QUOTE]

Heh, right after my last post I played and actually popped a SECOND metal slime sword, talk about lucky! The only other metal equipment I've gotten is the shinguards (forgot the name). My party's in the 70's now at around 110 hours logged.

I hope they're planning more tag events, but I don't see anything new on the website.

[quote name='2DMention']I love how the topic most bumped in the DS section is a 2 month old game.
[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't it be? This is the game that keeps on giving on the DS. How many downloadable quests are there? A couple hundred? I think this is the best game on the DS personally.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I think the only way I will get any tags is going to Japan. Well that or hoping I luck into some when I go to a bigger city or college town. That is assuming I remember to charge my DS beforehand. Curse you zoo and a dead DS![/QUOTE]

Yeah, between going to the Square Enix store later today and Luida's (Patty's) Bar later in the week, I fully expect to get enough to get me over 30 tags. I need 24 more (5 at the Best Buy event, 1 in Japan thus far).

Congrats on the nuptials DoK! Sounds like a fun honeymoon.

I unlocked Luminary tonight. What a bitch! First I had to find some Moai Minstrels, and then when I finally got a grotto with them in it the stupid things kept Kamikaziing on me before I could KO them. I'm glad THAT'S over.

Now I have to find some boss trolls...guess I should've done these during the main story...

[quote name='keithp']Heh, right after my last post I played and actually popped a SECOND metal slime sword, talk about lucky! The only other metal equipment I've gotten is the shinguards (forgot the name). My party's in the 70's now at around 110 hours logged.[/QUOTE]

I was actually a little disappointed when I pulled the Metal Slime Sword. I have both Erdrick's Sword and an Uber Falcon Blade and I'm just not sure even the Metal King Sword is better than either. Just pulled the Metal Slime Armor and I'll likely upgrade that to MKS level, but Erdrick's Armor is going to replace it when it's available and the life gain from Sacrosanct Armor is pretty good. Sort of seems like a waste of Orichalcum. I was lucky enough to get a Victorious Armor boss drop and that's a grotto-grinding dream for both the movement HP and MP replacement. Makes my level-91 Paladin virtually unstoppable.

For reference, this is what I'm running for grotto griding (I'll wrap spoiler tags, but I'm not sure it's necessary):

Level 99 Minstrel: SteelSD (of course)

Primary Weapon:
Uber Falcon Blade (Swords 100)
Secondary Weapon: Odin's Bow (Bows 100)
Armor: Erdrick's Helmet, Erdrick's Shield, Sturdy Slacks, Vesta Gauntlets, She-Fu Shoes
Accessory: Lucky Pendant
Manuals: Swordcraft in Summary (Gigagash), Thief's Theory (passive theft)

Level 91 Paladin: Basilisk

Primary Weapon: Erdrick's Sword (Swords 100)
Secondary Weapon: Demon Spear (Spears 88)
Armor: Mercury's Bandana, Saintess Shield, Victorious Armor, Sturdy Slacks, Ethereal Gloves, Pixie Boots
Accessory: Meteorite Bracer
Manuals: None

Level 99 Priest: Thorena

Primary Weapon: Wyrmwand (Wands 100)
Secondary Weapon: Knockout Rod (haven't upgraded Staffs yet)
Armor: Phantom Mask, Celestria's Railment, Saintess Shield, Magical Skirt, Ethereal Gloves, Patty's Pumps
Accessory: Goddess Ring (replaced by Meteorite Bracer for Boss Fights)
Manuals: Mage's Manual (Weakening Wave), Minstrel's Manual (Gritty Ditty)

Level 99 Mage: Sirene

Primary Weapon: Savant's Staff (Wands 100)
Secondary Weapon: Pick it (don't really need one)
Armor: Happy Hat (replaced by Spellward Circlet for boss fights), Xenlon Robe*, Goddess Shield, Blessed Bottoms, Enchantress' Gloves, Spellspadrilles
Accessory: Goddess Ring (replaced by Life Bracer for boss fights)
Manuals: Wands and Beyond (Zing Stick)
*Note: Might swap out Xenlon Robe for Divine Bustier for bosses who rely almost exclusively on physical attacks. Just upgraded the Silk Bustier.

The Paladin is obviously a nearly-game unbalancing house and (surprisingly) the Mage is crucial with magical might over 700. I keep hearing that Minstrel is a sub-optimal class, but I think it's one of the more versatile and balanced classes available (love the Timbrel of Tension...err...I mean "Egg On"). I swapped his class for a bit to max bows and then moved him right back. The Priest started off as a Thief; which I stuck with for WAY too long. I wouldn't claim that to be the best mix of classes (particularly for high-level legacy boss fights), but I haven't felt truly threatened in a grotto for quite some time and I never run out of MP (tip: Hallowed Arrow for bow-users is REALLY good).

Just started doing the timing thing, but it's pretty precise; down to individual seconds for my Rank A chests. I'm trying to translate the contents of my earliest (11th floor) Rank S chest and I think that one will pay off more easily. It has 2 to 4 second windows for the "chase" equipment and it's all bunched together so if I miss what I'm aiming for, I'll still likely hit something good.

Holy fuckballs! Just got back from lunch and the Square Enix store. My husband got a tag of some troll (for some reason, I didn't get this tag, maybe his DSlite has a better wifi than my phatty?) who has over 1200 hours, 570 tags, and is +8 in his class. He claimed he was lonely because he doesn't have enough friends. fucking troll. The Square Enix store has a special tag that looks like Barbara from DQ6. We also got a tag of one more person. No maps though. :( Was hoping for an epic map from the 1200-hour guy.

Be nice, DoK ;). I see you are on a honeymoon with mutliple DS's and copies of DQ IX - something about throwing stones and glass houses and such ;).

I'm really surprised the guy didn't have an awesome map to give away, though. I'm sure he has a level 99 legacy boss or three. When I went to the Best Buy event I only had the very first grotto beaten and it was kind of lame to give that out (but I did anyway). But I got a lot of nice ones that have helped me out tremendously (and I probably wouldn't still be playing if I hadn't gotten them). Now I could give out some nice stuff.

I beat Baramos and Zoma last night. I didn't have too much trouble with them despite not being near level 99 or revocating anyone yet. And I still insisted on using my regular classes and none of that multiple falcon slash sword nonsense. I have a Paladin, Sage, Martial Artist, and Ranger with Poker (S-rank chest spear), Wyrmwand, Dragonlord claws (S-rank chest claws), and Meteorang.

I fought Baramos one more time and got a silver orb drop! Pretty nice to get the 5% drop on my second try. I let him upgrade to level 2. I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade my Meteorang to an Asterang right now. It also appears one will be needed for a DLC quest but not till December. Then I tried Zoma again and got beat. And Estark utterly destroyed me, so I guess I'm not ready for that yet.

Also, it seems like the next DLC quest will have recipes as a reward. I still have huge gaping holes in my recipe list and I think I've gotten all the ones I can from the game. I am missing way more than just the orb upgrade weapons and the Saints Ashes stuff though. I wish there was a list that showed every recipe you should find in the game so you can figure out if you missed a bookshelf or something.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']EDIT: In Japan now on my honeymoon. Just on the way from the train station to the hotel I got a tag. Dude was a level 99+1 gladiator with over 500 hours and over 1000 grottoes cleared. Everything was 100% (alchomicon or however you spell it, bestiary, quests) except for wardrobe which was 99%. My husband is regretting he didn't listen to me and didn't have his DS in tag mode. :lol: We are going to the Square Enix store today and the Dragon Quest bar later in the week so we should be getting more tags.[/QUOTE]
Best honeymoon ever.

I grinded a bit and demolished the boss that beat me. Really wanted to finish this over the weekend, but oh well. At least I'm enjoying it again.

[quote name='io']I beat Baramos and Zoma last night. I didn't have too much trouble with them despite not being near level 99 or revocating anyone yet. And I still insisted on using my regular classes and none of that multiple falcon slash sword nonsense. I have a Paladin, Sage, Martial Artist, and Ranger with Poker (S-rank chest spear), Wyrmwand, Dragonlord claws (S-rank chest claws), and Meteorang.

I fought Baramos one more time and got a silver orb drop! Pretty nice to get the 5% drop on my second try. I let him upgrade to level 2. I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade my Meteorang to an Asterang right now. It also appears one will be needed for a DLC quest but not till December. Then I tried Zoma again and got beat. And Estark utterly destroyed me, so I guess I'm not ready for that yet.[/quote]
I think the bonus bosses are much harder than the ones that you can find naturally in the game.
The drops are better though...

[quote name='keithp']What does this mean?[/QUOTE]
He revocated 8 times...

It should be noted that level 41 Dhoulmagus is a jerk. Now that he attacks 3 times per turn, I think I'll need a level 90+ team back together to grind him further.

Also, he doesn't like to give me orbs - I got 3 silver and yellow orbs from Baramos and Murdaw only fighting them 50 times (up to level 16), while I've gotten all of 2 purple orbs from Dhoulmagus after twice the fights.

[quote name='kainzero']I think the bonus bosses are much harder than the ones that you can find naturally in the game.
The drops are better though... [/QUOTE]

Are Zoma and Estark not normal bosses you find in the progression of Legacy bosses? I thought the tag mode just gave them to us earlier than you'd normally find them. Or are there bosses that you can only get via special events like that (making a 100% bestiary, for the most part, impossible to achieve)?

All of the legacy bosses are available through quests or through map drops from those bosses. Baramos breeds Murdaw who gives you Dhoulmagus, but it ends there until you get a new boss map from a future quest.

[quote name='io']Are Zoma and Estark not normal bosses you find in the progression of Legacy bosses? I thought the tag mode just gave them to us earlier than you'd normally find them. Or are there bosses that you can only get via special events like that (making a 100% bestiary, for the most part, impossible to achieve)?[/QUOTE]
I think that eventually, you can download quests for Estark and Zoma but right now they're not available.

According to the drop chart they have better drops, either a better drop rate or a complete set. Dragonlord only drops 3 pieces of the Alefgard set.

I am kinda confused though, between the Alefgard set, the Erdrick set, and the Aliahan set.

Shouldn't they all be the same? =)

[quote name='botticus']It should be noted that level 41 Dhoulmagus is a jerk. Now that he attacks 3 times per turn, I think I'll need a level 90+ team back together to grind him further.

Also, he doesn't like to give me orbs - I got 3 silver and yellow orbs from Baramos and Murdaw only fighting them 50 times (up to level 16), while I've gotten all of 2 purple orbs from Dhoulmagus after twice the fights.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be a step more extreme than even using the timer to get good chest items, but there appears to be a way to get the rare item drops from grotto bosses guaranteed:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/55948750

It might be useful to do that with some of the orbs in order to upgrade equipment to be able to get through the legacy bosses a bit faster (saving time in the long run).

I need to find a way to get decent maps.. I keep getting crappy level 20ish maps that give me no decent EXP or challenge for my level 45 characters. I've missed every event, and of the people I know with the game, I'm farthest along.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I need to find a way to get decent maps.. I keep getting crappy level 20ish maps that give me no decent EXP or challenge for my level 45 characters. I've missed every event, and of the people I know with the game, I'm farthest along.[/QUOTE]
from gfaqs:

New Quality = Hero's Maximum Vocation Level + 5*Hero's Maximum Revocation + Level of Previous Grotto

Quality 2- 55: 2-4 Floors, Rank 1-3 Monsters, Boss #1-#3
Quality 56- 60: 4-6 Floors, Rank 2-4 Monsters, Boss #1-#3
Quality 61- 75: 4-6 Floors, Rank 2-4 Monsters, Boss #2-#5
Quality 76- 80: 6-10 Floors, Rank 3-5 Monsters, Boss #2-#5
Quality 81-100: 6-10 Floors, Rank 3-5 Monsters, Boss #3-#7
Quality 101-120: 8-12 Floors, Rank 4-6 Monsters, Boss #4-#7
Quality 121-140: 10-14 Floors, Rank 4-6 Monsters, Boss #5-#9
Quality 141-160: 10-16 Floors, Rank 5-7 Monsters, Boss #6-#9
Quality 161-180: 10-16 Floors, Rank 5-7 Monsters, Boss #7-#10
Quality 181-200: 11-16 Floors, Rank 6-9 Monsters, Boss #8-#12
Quality 201-220: 12-16 Floors, Rank 8-9 Monsters, Boss #1-#12
Quality 221-248: 14-16 Floors, Rank 9 Monsters, Boss #1-#12
so basically, have a high level vocation and complete the highest level map you have.

bread's done
Back