Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

Anone who hasn't got this awesome game yet, it will be $17 at Target on Black Friday.
May pick up an extra copy cause I love the game so much.

On other note, Im lovin DQV and on the 3rd gen.
Its like Dragon Quest Joker mixed with DQIV

I just got this game a week or so ago and manage to put over 20 hours into it. Unfortunately I lost 8 hours when I turned it off instead of closing it Then i just now lost a hour because the disk popped out while it was in my pocket. Why don't I quick save. Why Baron Why. Going to have to do that living doll story line all over again. Oh well.

AT LAST:

dq9heroes.jpg

My heroes (and a mage) from past DQs, decked out in their original gear. (Or at least as close as they'll come until the rest of the Erdrick set becomes available in May. :bomb:)

Time to take a break from this game for a while, although I'll continue to check the store.

This week's guest is Maribel from DQVII. Man, when will that be made for the DS?

And the VC is pretty darn expensive, and it doesn't help when I"m trying to get the 5 million accolade.

Last two weeks pretty interesting, especially for people who recently started the game. On the one hand, they have a chance to get some really good weapons and armor that's way better than what they could normally get before endgame. On the other hand, they probably can't afford it yet, so they're having to watch the opportunity to easily grab this gear just slip by.

So far I purchased some Gauntlets, plus a bunch of Flurry Feathers and some Oricalchum.

*dances* I finally found a map with king metal slimes!
Oh and I was wondering if anyone else ever had a floor of a grotto not have any monsters at all? I had a map a while back that one floor had no monsters appear at all. I ran around the whole floor for a while looking for the stairs and chests and nothing popped up. I thought it was kind of strange.

[quote name='metaly']AT LAST:

dq9heroes.jpg

My heroes (and a mage) from past DQs, decked out in their original gear. (Or at least as close as they'll come until the rest of the Erdrick set becomes available in May. :bomb:)

Time to take a break from this game for a while, although I'll continue to check the store.[/QUOTE]
cat_its_beautiful.jpg

Does anybody have any tips on Quest #035 - All Dolled Up? I've had this quest for awhile now, and no matter how many times I put the Brainy Badboon to sleep and use Half Inch, I never steal a doll. Is there some trick to it?

I was doing so well at not playing this but then they had to give out Malroth's map on Friday and before I knew it I was boss grinding and doing chest timers again. :bomb: Going to attempt to put this away again now that I have the Midenhall set.

[quote name='Liontamer']Does anybody have any tips on Quest #035 - All Dolled Up? I've had this quest for awhile now, and no matter how many times I put the Brainy Badboon to sleep and use Half Inch, I never steal a doll. Is there some trick to it?[/QUOTE]

Is the problem your characters don't steal anything, or they steal something other than the quest item? Use a Utility Belt or some new gloves to boost your deftness if you're not stealing anything. Otherwise, just keep trying on different Brainy Badboons. Sometimes you're just unlucky.

Would this game be appropriate for a 13 year old girl who has never played a throwback type of RPG? She likes Animal Crossing and Sims 3. I cut my teeth on the Dragon Quest games for the NES but I'm not sure how close this one is to those oldies.

[quote name='Whizbang']Would this game be appropriate for a 13 year old girl who has never played a throwback type of RPG? She likes Animal Crossing and Sims 3. I cut my teeth on the Dragon Quest games for the NES but I'm not sure how close this one is to those oldies.[/QUOTE]

I'd say "yes." It's similar to the old ones, but much easier, and really much improved.

[quote name='Whizbang']Would this game be appropriate for a 13 year old girl who has never played a throwback type of RPG? She likes Animal Crossing and Sims 3. I cut my teeth on the Dragon Quest games for the NES but I'm not sure how close this one is to those oldies.[/QUOTE]

My daughter is 11 and plays the Sims, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing and LOVES this game. Mind you I also got her to play Disgaea and a few other entry level RPGs first like Mario and Luigi.

It's very approachable and slowly gets deeper. In fact, much of what we are all talking about (or trolling for :D) are post game things that you wouldn't get to until much later in the game.

So.... for a 13 year old girl, I'd recommend it.

[quote name='metaly']I was doing so well at not playing this but then they had to give out Malroth's map on Friday and before I knew it I was boss grinding and doing chest timers again. :bomb: Going to attempt to put this away again now that I have the Midenhall set.

Is the problem your characters don't steal anything, or they steal something other than the quest item? Use a Utility Belt or some new gloves to boost your deftness if you're not stealing anything. Otherwise, just keep trying on different Brainy Badboons. Sometimes you're just unlucky.[/QUOTE]

Since we're on this topic, how do you put something to sleep?
What class has that ability?

[quote name='Liontamer']Does anybody have any tips on Quest #035 - All Dolled Up? I've had this quest for awhile now, and no matter how many times I put the Brainy Badboon to sleep and use Half Inch, I never steal a doll. Is there some trick to it?[/QUOTE]

My biggest complaint with the game. So many quests just involve mindless randomness to them.

If this were an older game, hell yes. But this game, not so much, considering you can have fun dressing up your characters in so many different ways I guess. So it's your choice.

[quote name='pete5883']Hm, is it worth buying a 2nd Metal Slime Shield?[/QUOTE]

It's a pretty good shield, and all 4 of your chars should be using shields, so I'd say yes. Eventually you'll be using 1 of Erdrick's Shield, plus whatever else you can get your hands on, and this is way easier to get ahold of than the ultimate shields.

[quote name='ItsAMeAMario']Since we're on this topic, how do you put something to sleep?
What class has that ability?[/QUOTE]

Both priests and armamentalists can do it with their Snooze spell. There might also be a class ability or a weapon that does it.

[quote name='pete5883']Hm, is it worth buying a 2nd Metal Slime Shield?[/QUOTE]

It's rare to be able to get equipment as good as the Metal Slime Shield by just being able to buy it (as opposed to hunting it down in a chest or alchemizing it), so I'd say get it. It's also fairly easy to upgrade to the Metal King Shield if you have a few pieces of orichalcum.

[quote name='Whizbang']Thanks for the advice. Its part of the Amazon deal this week (buy 1 get 1 50% off). So I think I'll jump on it.[/QUOTE]

...and if she doesn't like it, (cough, cough!) her dad probably will!...

[quote name='WormFOODx']

It's very approachable and slowly gets deeper. In fact, much of what we are all talking about (or trolling for :D) are post game things that you wouldn't get to until much later in the game.

[/QUOTE]
No wonder I had no idea what you guys are talking about.
I am in THE OLD SCHOOL, and I can't seem to get passed this spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='metaly']Is the problem your characters don't steal anything, or they steal something other than the quest item? Use a Utility Belt or some new gloves to boost your deftness if you're not stealing anything. Otherwise, just keep trying on different Brainy Badboons. Sometimes you're just unlucky.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I'm stealing a ton of Magic Beast Hides and Raging Rubies, but I've probably gone through several hundred Brainy Badboons stealing those two items but no doll.

[quote name='Liontamer']Oh, I'm stealing a ton of Magic Beast Hides and Raging Rubies, but I've probably gone through several hundred Brainy Badboons stealing those two items but no doll.[/QUOTE]

That's really odd. It only took me a few tries. Some of the quests must be done in a specific area. I assume you're stealing from Brainy Badboons in the correct spot (I forget where it is, exactly)? And of course stealing while they're asleep?

I just started acouple weeks ago. Only a DQ would have an hour long prologue before the main game.

Just got defeated by the Wight Knight. The first boss!

YEESH. I've been watching my alchenomicon/wardrobe percentages creep steadily upwards, so in a moment of total hubris I decided to figure out what it would take to 100% the game. I came up with upwards of 8 million gold and probably a couple hundred hours gathering orbs and materials for agates of evolution. I don't know if I'm up for that.

YEESH.

[quote name='metaly']YEESH. I've been watching my alchenomicon/wardrobe percentages creep steadily upwards, so in a moment of total hubris I decided to figure out what it would take to 100% the game. I came up with upwards of 8 million gold and probably a couple hundred hours gathering orbs and materials for agates of evolution. I don't know if I'm up for that.

YEESH.[/QUOTE]
After hitting 50% Alchenomicon a few days ago I thought I could go for 100%, but I went to the DQIX meetup at the NWS the other day, and someone pointed out just how many chronocrystals you need to do that. Oh well.

How attached should I get to these NPC characters that I got from Patty's Party Planning service? Should I bother leveling them up and buying them equipment or will they just be replaced by story characters shortyl?

[quote name='eldergamer']How attached should I get to these NPC characters that I got from Patty's Party Planning service? Should I bother leveling them up and buying them equipment or will they just be replaced by story characters shortyl?[/QUOTE]

There are no story characters.

[quote name='pete5883']After hitting 50% Alchenomicon a few days ago I thought I could go for 100%, but I went to the DQIX meetup at the NWS the other day, and someone pointed out just how many chronocrystals you need to do that. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I finally decided my goals would be 50% Alchenomicom (probably, but definitely not 100%, I'm at 45% now), and 100% monsters. Which basically means beating each legacy boss once, and leveling some up to 16 to get the maps for the other ones. Also, every quest except the weapon quests, but I'm already caught up on that.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']There are no story characters.[/QUOTE]

So you play with these three other generic characters all the way through? Guess I should invest more intrest into them.

[quote name='eldergamer']So you play with these three other generic characters all the way through? Guess I should invest more intrest into them.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Sucks, but you gotta deal with it.

Some pretty interesting stuff on sale for the Footwear Fayre this week. They're actually selling some of the special inn guests' shoes, so you could pick up some in case you missed them for whatever reason. They're not selling any shoes from characters who haven't already showed up in my inn, though.

Question for those who have done a lot of Legacy Boss grinding: my DQVC today has Zenithian boots and Alefgard boots. Should I bother spending the time to get the 20000G to buy them now, or are these easy enough to get out of the bosses when I'm strong enough to beat them? I see that they each have a 15-25% chance of dropping, depending on boss and level, but some of the bosses have to be leveled up to 25 or so.

I'd say save the 20k since those are both pretty easy to get. They drop from Psaro and Dragonlord lv.1, respectively. It helps if you have the thief manual or whatever the item is that lets you steal items at the end of a battle; usually if the legacy boss drops one of their rare items, the character with the manual will steal another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the background color for the DQVC signifies anything? Mine is generally purple or yellow, but has been silver/gray for the last two days.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Clothes this week, including Patty's clothing. My bank account is going down....[/QUOTE]
Don't spend money on their clothing.
You can get them from downloadable quests.

I've never been a big DQ fan but I picked this title up because the character item customizations alone impressed me. I'm having fun so far, having just cured Coffinwell of a plague.

I was wondering if anyone could explain what I have to look forward to later on in this title? Are there free form dungeons or quests? Should I be on the lookout for certain monster types or items that later on I might regret having passed. Any tips for a series newbie would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I've never been a big DQ fan but I picked this title up because the character item customizations alone impressed me. I'm having fun so far, having just cured Coffinwell of a plague.

I was wondering if anyone could explain what I have to look forward to later on in this title? Are there free form dungeons or quests? Should I be on the lookout for certain monster types or items that later on I might regret having passed. Any tips for a series newbie would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I just reached Coffinwell and am headed to the cave. The game is fun but so far the characters have no personality (except for that annoying fairy) and so far, the only story was in the first 30 minutes of the game... not sure how much more I can take.

Plus, I left all my money back in that Inn at Stoneway or whatever so I can't buy any new equipment. So I'll have to go back. This cave is pretty tough.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']So the Santa outfit is just the hat, coat, and pants right? What's the name of the gloves?[/QUOTE]

That's all I've seen so far (no gloves yet). There's also the Santa's Helper coat/dress for females, which I bought and have one of my girls wearing. Very festive.

bread's done
Back