Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

I hope we've got another week of the Christmas Fayre coming up, because I haven't seen any of the Santa's Helper items in my store yet. :cry:

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I've never been a big DQ fan but I picked this title up because the character item customizations alone impressed me. I'm having fun so far, having just cured Coffinwell of a plague.

I was wondering if anyone could explain what I have to look forward to later on in this title? Are there free form dungeons or quests? Should I be on the lookout for certain monster types or items that later on I might regret having passed. Any tips for a series newbie would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Anyone read this thread?

Nothing is missable that I can recall, so you don't have to worry about that. The main quest isn't super-long but there are tons of sidequests (many of which are actually fairly annoying, requiring you to beat certain enemies in specific ways). also, there is post-game content which, other than the sidequests, mainly consists of finding and beating random dungeons to get stronger and get better equipment, which helps you to beat the ultimate challenges: 10 legacy bosses from the previous 8 Dragon Quest games.

[quote name='pete5883']I think Selma says "this month," not "this week." So I think you're OK.[/QUOTE]

Good catch, it looks like it does indeed continue. Got the Santa's Helper coat last night!

For all you grotto-grinders out there, are you having trouble finding high-level maps for certain environments? My main guy is at level 99, never revocated, and I have a bunch of maps for Ruins and Caves in the 80s and 90s (some with rank 13 enemies). However, I can never seem to get any Ice, Water, or Fire maps with rank 13 enemies. Are those harder to get without revocating or something?

Revocating once gives a measly 5 extra points toward the map quality, and getting to level 99 again takes forever, so I figured I was better off just beating my highest map over and over until I get the ones I want, but it's not working too well.

[quote name='Backlash']For all you grotto-grinders out there, are you having trouble finding high-level maps for certain environments? My main guy is at level 99, never revocated, and I have a bunch of maps for Ruins and Caves in the 80s and 90s (some with rank 13 enemies). However, I can never seem to get any Ice, Water, or Fire maps with rank 13 enemies. Are those harder to get without revocating or something?

Revocating once gives a measly 5 extra points toward the map quality, and getting to level 99 again takes forever, so I figured I was better off just beating my highest map over and over until I get the ones I want, but it's not working too well.[/QUOTE]

I've only gotten the first treasure map, and man, that horse just keeps kicking my ass :bomb: I figure I have to play through more of the story before I go back there again. Otherwise, I'll have to drop a ton of loot on upgrading my party's weapons/armor.

Another question: does the "bank" at the Stornway inn ever steal your money? I swear I had over $60K in there, but the next time I came back, it was under that. Now I'm walking around with super-fat pockets :lol:

[quote name='waxHead']
Another question: does the "bank" at the Stornway inn ever steal your money?[/QUOTE]

No. If you put it in there, it should stay there.

[quote name='Backlash']For all you grotto-grinders out there, are you having trouble finding high-level maps for certain environments? My main guy is at level 99, never revocated, and I have a bunch of maps for Ruins and Caves in the 80s and 90s (some with rank 13 enemies). However, I can never seem to get any Ice, Water, or Fire maps with rank 13 enemies. Are those harder to get without revocating or something?

Revocating once gives a measly 5 extra points toward the map quality, and getting to level 99 again takes forever, so I figured I was better off just beating my highest map over and over until I get the ones I want, but it's not working too well.[/QUOTE]

What level does the grotto have to be in order to get rank 13 enemies? I noticed I'm still missing a few regular enemies from my bestiary, and all my more exotic grottoes (not ruins/caves) are in the 60s. I haven't really been keeping an eye out for them.

[quote name='keithp']No. If you put it in there, it should stay there.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured. I'm sure I took out some cash to upgrade weapons/armor when I was almost asleep one night and completely forgot about it the next time I checked.

[quote name='metaly']What level does the grotto have to be in order to get rank 13 enemies? I noticed I'm still missing a few regular enemies from my bestiary, and all my more exotic grottoes (not ruins/caves) are in the 60s. I haven't really been keeping an eye out for them.[/QUOTE]

In my limited experience, upper 80s or 90s. I suppose it's possible to have one in the 70s? I still have that stupid quest in my list where you have to fight Bling Badgers, because I still don't have a high enough water grotto :(

So this is probably a stupid and obvious question, but :
Since I'm playing the game on an old Phat DS should I assume that any of the downloadable quests or downloadable items/whatever aren't avaliable to me?

Everything is available to you. The way I figure it, pretty much everything is already on the cartridge, the download just updates the save and pulls stuff off the cart.

[quote name='eldergamer']So this is probably a stupid and obvious question, but :
Since I'm playing the game on an old Phat DS should I assume that any of the downloadable quests or downloadable items/whatever aren't avaliable to me?[/QUOTE]

They are definitely available to you. I'm playing on a launch DS and have been visiting the DQVC every day since late July. Since I got to the DQVC, I've not missed a quest or special guest, so you're good to go (WEP only connection works fine on all online portions of DS games, to my knowledge). Obviously you can't get DSiWare, but there's none of that in the retail DS carts that I know of (with the exception of WarioWare D.I.Y., I think).

Finally got a high level (86) ice grotto last night and crossed two new monsters off my list. I still have a ton to go, though. :whistle2:|

I've got similar questions as you've been wondering, Metaly. I was up to level 99 and still getting grottoes in the 70s, revocated to see what would happen.

My question is, if you revocate one class, say a Minstrel, and level up another class like a Gladiator, does the revocated other class still count towards the odds of getting a new map? Or is it strictly the class being used at the time of defeating the boss?

It's your highest class level plus 5 times the number of revocations. So, revocating won't help you until you get back up to level 95. That's why I've been putting it off.
I figured just beating my level 99 grotto with my level 99 character should net me all the monsters sooner than revocating and leveling back up to 99. It's worked great for Ruins and Caves, just not Ice, Water, and Fire :(

Edit: Here's a page that explains it a bit: http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/grotto_names.php.

I still have this game sealed, along with DQV. I just finished IV recently (first time I had played it too), which was quite the old school treat. I am a bit torn on whether I should continue the timeline, hit up V and then tackle VI..or if I should just jump into IX immediately, since it has intrigued me since it first came out.

[quote name='Backlash']It's your highest class level plus 5 times the number of revocations. So, revocating won't help you until you get back up to level 95. That's why I've been putting it off.
I figured just beating my level 99 grotto with my level 99 character should net me all the monsters sooner than revocating and leveling back up to 99. It's worked great for Ruins and Caves, just not Ice, Water, and Fire :(

Edit: Here's a page that explains it a bit: http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/grotto_names.php.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='Yanksfan']I still have this game sealed, along with DQV. I just finished IV recently (first time I had played it too), which was quite the old school treat. I am a bit torn on whether I should continue the timeline, hit up V and then tackle VI..or if I should just jump into IX immediately, since it has intrigued me since it first came out.[/QUOTE]

I'd start 9 now so that you can get in on the online store downloads and potential DQ meet-ups and treasure map exchanges. The longer you wait the less there'll be to do and get post-game. DQ5 is much more self-contained and conclusive, whereas DQ9 I've logged 198 hours and haven't lost interest yet :whistle2:#

[quote name='johnnypark']
I'd start 9 now so that you can get in on the online store downloads and potential DQ meet-ups and treasure map exchanges. The longer you wait the less there'll be to do and get post-game. DQ5 is much more self-contained and conclusive, whereas DQ9 I've logged 198 hours and haven't lost interest yet :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Holy crap! That certainly is encouraging. :)

[quote name='whoknows']A lot of you play this game solo? I just read about the multi-playerness of this game.[/QUOTE]

No choice for me. I'm not switching to wep and haven't been able to connect to starbucks or anything else. And don't know anybody else that owns the game. However, I put 101 hours into the game.

I ordered this from Amazon yesterday as well. I couldn't resist with the price and all the positive reviews. I'm hoping this will be my go-to-game for 2011!

So I can only connect to the DQVC once a day? So I'm guessing the items sold change. Yesterday it was all gloves.

I also finally noticed the famous guests upstairs in the stonway inn. Do all they give out is their outfits allowing me to play dress up for nostalgia's sake? The outfits don't seem radically better than the currently avaliable armor. (I just defeated leviathan)

[quote name='pete5883']Got a half-price Chronocrystal on the DQVC today. It really is a happy new year![/QUOTE]

:drool:

I decided I'm not buying any more chronocrystals (for full price, at least) until I get all the bank accolades out of the way. Sooo, yeah... I may never buy a chronocrystal again.

[quote name='eldergamer']So I can only connect to the DQVC once a day? So I'm guessing the items sold change. Yesterday it was all gloves.

I also finally noticed the famous guests upstairs in the stonway inn. Do all they give out is their outfits allowing me to play dress up for nostalgia's sake? The outfits don't seem radically better than the currently avaliable armor. (I just defeated leviathan)[/QUOTE]

Right, you can only connect once a day. It resets at 8 AM GMT, which is midnight Pacific, conveniently. :)

Also yes, all you get are the guests' novelty outfits, although I seem to remember a few having fairly decent stats for where you are. Also, if you talk to Stella while wearing a character's full set, you get an accolade.

I think this week's quest is the one that finally, finally lets you pick up the 5th piece of equipment from special guests, if they have one.

[quote name='johnnypark']I'd start 9 now so that you can get in on the online store downloads and potential DQ meet-ups and treasure map exchanges. The longer you wait the less there'll be to do and get post-game.[/QUOTE]
Are they even doing any of the tag events anymore? I haven't seen any since the mall tour, and I was hoping there would be some more tag events since I've been only 3 @%#$ing tags away from the 30 I need to upgrade my inn for months now.

[quote name='Liontamer']Are they even doing any of the tag events anymore? I haven't seen any since the mall tour, and I was hoping there would be some more tag events since I've been only 3 @%#$ing tags away from the 30 I need to upgrade my inn for months now.[/QUOTE]

Good question. I haven't seen any either so it's probably unlikely... =(

I'm going to a gaming convention in 2 weeks, though, so hopefully some fellow nerds will be canvassing.

So when is it a good idea to change vocations? My main hero is getting bored with not learning anything interesting from the minstrel skills. should I just switch to warrior?

It's always a good idea to switch and try new thing, pretty much. You can switch back any time you want to.

You just want to be at your highest level when fighting bosses and such for the most part. Of course, if you are level 10 in 5 vocations instead of level 50 in one, you'll have a tougher time progressing past the harder bosses. But DQ games are all about level grinding to some extent anyway.

You can gain skill points in any vocation, then switch to the vocation that has the skills you want and use them there. the only things that don't carry over between vocations are magic spells (which aren't learned from skill points anyway). And obviously for weapon skills you have to be able to equip the weapon they're for.

Anyone know what the three exclusive pairs of pants were this week? (That sounds awesome.) The only one that jumped out at me were the white tuxedo pants.

I only checked my store twice I think (maybe 3 times) last week, and didn't see any exclusive pants. Mostly I just had pants for the special guests, and sometimes pants dropped by the legacy bosses.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just got the game today from another CAG. Their game file says that spent 134 hours playing. I got a looooong way to go. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, I bought it from Gamefly a couple weeks ago and so far I've only got about 5-6 hours in on it. Only another 100 or so to go. :roll: Good fun though!

So I'm curious, how should i allocate my skill points in the beginning of the game? I'm a level 8 with like 9 skill points to put in. I couldn't find a good online guide that gives advice.

A good thing to know is that you don't need to worry too much about not having enough skill points, because later on your characters get to change classes and that lets you replenish your skill points pretty easily.

With that in mind, the best skills are the ones that boost characters' innate stats, like strength and MP, because you benefit from them no matter what class or weapon you're using. Shield skill is also pretty useful; not every class can equip a shield by default, and they're really useful for the defense boost and the chance that they'll block an attack entirely.

Well in the beginning of the game, you should allocate your points to a single category or two, since you'll need as much abilities you can get in the beginning of the game. For example if you're a warrior, stick to courage skills and your weapon of choice. Later on follow metaly's advice.

I just got this game with my Amazon gift card. Started playing this morning and made myself stop because I could keep playing. I'm still early in the game but this is exactly what i've been wanting to scratch my RPG itch.

I loved Dragon Quest 8. I was playing 4 before this came and I really think I like the Dragon Quest games MORE than the Final Fantasy games.

I still have yet to try the multiplayer/wifi stuff. Unfortunately my DS doesn't support my wifi but luckily I picked up the DS wireless USB adapter a long time ago :). Still going through this thread for tips (man 80+ pages)!!

bread's done
Back