Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - September 19, 2011

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
It took them long enough, but DQM: Joker 2 is being brought stateside by Nintendo. Been hoping for this game to make it over here, but thought its chances were slim. Needless to say, this was a very nice surprise :D

I'm assuming this localization is of the improved "Professional" version, but I don't know for sure. (ETA: Signs point to this being the original release :whistle2:s)

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/detail/#/ds/dqmj

Game description from the link above:
As Monster Scouts, players can recruit wild monsters to build a team and battle against other players in this turn-based role-playing game. Each year, monster scouts from around the world gather to compete for the title of world's greatest scout. Players crash-land on a mysterious island after their airship is struck by lightning. They must rescue their missing passengers and crew members by fighting various enemies using their own monster parties. The only way off the island is to solve its many mysteries.

FEATURES:

* Become the world's greatest Monster Scout in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker™ 2, a spinoff of the fan-favorite DRAGON QUEST core series. Players scout and collect monsters in order to build a team to battle enemies.

* When a player's party encounters other monsters in a battle, they can try to recruit those monsters with their scouting skills. A meter on the top screen indicates the chance that players can scout a monster. The higher the number, the higher the chance the monster will join a player's party.

* More than 300 different monsters are available to scout and synthesize. By synthesizing two different monsters, players can create new, more powerful monsters. These monsters can be customized using more than 240 skill trees. Some monsters return from previous DRAGON QUEST games, while others are new.

* In battles, monsters level up to learn new skills and become more powerful.

* Players can battle their monster teams against one another using a local wireless connection. Or, using a broadband Internet connection, they can connect to Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection to battle against other players.

* The Wi-Fi World Tournament lets players battle against other monster teams around the world.

* The game supports a variety of Tag Mode options that let players connect and share data with others:

- Players who connect via Tag Mode with owners of DRAGON QUEST VI®: Realms of Revelation™ or DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ can scout monsters from those games.

- Players who connect via Tag Mode with other Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 players can battle against them and have a chance to scout their monsters without affecting their games.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the professional version (The worm is changed in it apparently).

Between this and lack of FE12 or the 3 core Wii games, its clear Nintendo droped the ball for their older systems.

[quote name='deuxhero']It's not the professional version[/QUOTE]

wtf+is+this+shit+reaction.jpg

Again, done. with. NOA.

whats professional?
So happy this is coming as i loved the first one
they should make a pokemon game like this
bet it might be awesome

Why are this the new Kirby and professor layton $40.
Since when did regular ds games become $40.
Glad this is coming to ds and not 3ds

I'd like some clarification on what the Professional version is, as well.

Exciting that there are new monsters.

I loved the GB Dragon Warrior Monsters games, but I was unimpressed by the first DQM:J. Hopefully this one is better.

according to wikipedia, the professional version has more recruitable monsters and new/more abilities. other than that, the story/content is the same

so not missing out on much really

[quote name='Supreme0ne']according to wikipedia, the professional version has more recruitable monsters and new/more abilities. other than that, the story/content is the same

so not missing out on much really[/QUOTE]

aside from the fact that wifi are not comparable between the 2 versions and everyone in Japan is playing the pro version.

one i ordered shows this

Dragon Quest Mosters: Joker 2
by Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo DS | Rated: Everyone
This title has been rated Everyone
Learn more about ESRB Ratings

Like 1311235697 false 1 1 1 0 (1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
ASIN: B0056VM12S
Item Weight: 6.4 ounces
Media: Video Game
Release Date: August 28, 2011
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #10,597 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#89 in Video Games > Nintendo DS > Role-Playing

locked in at 29.99

wonder how amazon is going to handle it

yea that's when they had 2 different versions on their website. i ordered the $29.99 one too and am seeing the same thing.

guessing they just wont ship it and make you order the other one (that's $34.99 now instead of $39.99 like it was)

As much of a dragon quest nerd as I am, I just don't care for the spinoffs, and I've played my fill of DQ games in the past few years but I might ask for this for Xmas or if a deal comes along. We'll see. I've regretably never played the first one, but I have played the DQ Monsters on the GBC way back when. We'll see what my backlog looks like by then. I really should buy it to support the series in the U.S., shouldn't I?

Question for importers: Is this worth my time if I thought Dragon Quest Monsters on the GBC was ok, but LOVE the main dragon quest series?

[quote name='Supreme0ne']yea that's when they had 2 different versions on their website. i ordered the $29.99 one too and am seeing the same thing.

guessing they just wont ship it and make you order the other one (that's $34.99 now instead of $39.99 like it was)[/QUOTE]

since the game isnt coming out till the middle of sept now (i think sept 16 or later) my arrive date is aug 31 once that date hits i think i will go into chat and see what will be done...

I will never pay 35 for the game. 30 was the top i was going

this was the email i got from amazon:

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on June 27 2011 (Order# 002-7380863-2101023):

"Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2"
Estimated arrival date: September 15 2011 - September 20 2011

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html?orderID=002-7380863-2101023

We hope to see you again soon!

WHAT IF I WANT TO CHANGE OR CANCEL MY ORDER?
If your order hasn't entered the shipping process, you can change or cancel it in Your Account:

https://www.amazon.com/your-account

If the order is "shipping soon" or "completed", you won't be able to make any changes as it's on the way out the door; we apologize for any inconvenience.
WHAT IF AN ITEM HAS SHIPPED AND I NO LONGER WANT IT?
If your shipment arrives too late, you may either refuse delivery or return it to us for a refund. For returns instructions, please visit our Returns Center at www.amazon.com/returns.

HOW DO I CONTACT YOU ABOUT MY ORDER?
If you have more questions about this order, you can e-mail or phone Customer Service by clicking the "Contact Us" button on the right side of any Help page (www.amazon.com/help).

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
http://www.amazon.com
==============================
Check your order and more: http://www.amazon.com/your-account

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

^i agree i like the placeholder one better

PS the release date was moved again: Sept 19
the same day as kirby mass attack

contacted amazon about my order and was told

I will get this game AUG 31 2011 100% sure i tried to tell them the date was pushed back and the price was changed but they would not hear anything about it ... they told me to contact them again if i dont have it BY aug 31

LOL

WTF that is all kinds of weird then
we will see when the time comes

i really enjoyed 2 and hope to is just as good
will this have the same MP stuff

question: i know you can go into Tag Mode with DQVI, can you do that with a DS Phat?

Is Amazon selling the guide?

just an update, if i click the link to the game in my order history (the $29.99 one) it now takes me to the page for the correct version of the game, instead of the "sign up to be notified when available" version

so looks like if you ordered the $29.99 one you'll be getting it for that price

Finally changed the date in the thread title to the current one. Sorry it took so long ^_^;

Tried the game out at PAX. It's about what I expected, which is not a bad thing by any means. If you liked the first Joker, you'll probably like Joker 2.

cant wait to play this
Same week as Kirby, Persona 2 and Gears 3.
But this will be first with gear3

already pre-ordered the game and guide at gamestop as i want it day one

i thought i was the only one playing it
its mad fun.
Im up to Cragravation and working on my team.
So far i have a Behomoth Slime, Draco Slime and Great Sabercat
the sabercat took awhile to synth with like 8 great sabercubs and getting the neg and pos ones.

Next is Gigantes and Dark Slime Knight, which shouldnt be to hard.
Need it to turn nite so i can try to scout a Dark Slime.

I've been mostly playing Gears 3 and Radiant Historia, so I haven't dug into this all that much yet.

I think I've caught a tree and a slime so far, then I saved and haven't touched it beyond that.

I feel like the UI in DQMJ2 is inferior to the first one, so far.. those feelings may change when I'm further along.

oh ya
its okay
I hate when i touch stuff with my stylus but still have to hit a button.
Maybe they could of made it double tap. Needs better stylus interface.

But over all great game.
Though the bigger monster thing is no fun.
I was gonna synth an Atlas as i had him last time on my team.
But now hes two slots. So ill stick with the sabercat.

Next up is Wight King and a Slime Knight of some sort.
Either metal or dark, for a healer and counterstrike.

Got this Day 1

Monday played it 2 hours
Tuesday had to work
weds played it 2 hours

Then thursday came and picked up break tactics for the DSI what hooked me for 4 days ...

Hell i still have Harvest moon tale of two towns that came on the 24th of sept from gamefly i never even played yet

and now i got

Persona 2 and Solatorobo: Red the Hunter comin today from gamefly

seems this is going way on the back burner

I'm 8 hours (i'm fairly sure 2 hours of that was me asleep on top of my DS because I play right before bed, to be fair) into the game. I made a green dragon, and when i saw it took 2 spots in my team, i unmade my green dragon.

"D" is my highest level monster and I just finished the second area - i haven't even entered the arena yet. I think I play this game incorrectly.

[quote name='utopianmachine']That seems awful that the bigger monsters take up two slots.[/QUOTE]

There is a certain logic to forcing the player to have to balance power versus number of creatures, as opposed to being able to have 3 boss-class monsters in your team (like I did at the end of DQMJ1). The game becomes less challenging when all of your monsters have two or three attack rounds and could 1 shot most basic enemies.

I see the logic in it, but I wish they had left it the way it was.

That being said, the green dragon was just as powerful as my rank D jar dragon currently is - green dragon was absolutely not worth two slots.

I've put a lot of time into this game, and my best monster so far is a Draco lord, who is actually kind of crap. I've got several rank A monsters but I'm unable to find a proper guide on the net for breeding better ones. I starting to look around for a guide since trial and error hasn't netted me much.

I have 15 metal tickets currently.

I somehow managed to figure out a bunch more S rank monsters, which was neat. I got sick of trial and error and found some information about synthesis and compiled an excel spreadsheet with all the monsters in the US version.

After looking it over, there is NO WAY I would have figured out 95% of the monsters I didn't have. Mum +boh + jum + boh was obvious but combining 2 level 20 slimes? I wouldn't have considered doing such a thing and the game never gave me any indication that it was a viable synthesis method.

I just learned about the postgame stuff (dark/light worlds) so I've probably got a few more hours of this game in me, at any rate.

bread's done
Back