Dragon Quest V DS - $36.99 @ Amazon.com

[quote name='doodofdoods']As far as I know DQV was never a DOTD. Fry's has it on sale for $17, though.[/QUOTE]

Looking back through some searches, it appears you're right. I must have mistaken it with DQIV, which I got for $20 anyway. Guess I don't have to feel so bad anymore!

I bit the bullet on this price about a month ago. It's going to go up before it goes down, methinks. SE only made a few of them... and who can blame them? Our beloved country isn't exactly crazy about Dragon Quest.

[quote name='rapsodist']Looking back through some searches, it appears you're right. I must have mistaken it with DQIV, which I got for $20 anyway. Guess I don't have to feel so bad anymore![/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, I got DQ4 when it was DOTD, and was hoping for the same with this... but that's pretty doubtful.

It took forever but I finally traded for it a month ago. I want to get to it but I'm knee-deep in console games at the moment.

[quote name='Fount']Guess there's no remake of VI on the way.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know it's still in the works. I haven't heard anything to the contrary. If you have, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

just bought it a few weeks ago.

also DQ8 is 13 dollars on amazon so i bought that too. i don't know how i will decide which one to play first, as i'm pretty excited about both of them.

i've got to say, its a great time to be a cheap ps2 gamer. prices are really low on used games, new games, whateva

I think it's still definitely coming, it's just that with the release of IX in Japan, Square-Enix had no desire to release this for quite some time... perhaps a holiday release in Japan, and then maybe we'll see VI by next summer, with IX to follow at Christmas 2010?

I just noticed that it's back in stock at Amazon for $39.99. Yeah, it's full price, but at this point, you can't really expect a discount on an out of print title. Just giving a heads-up to anyone still looking for this game.

I got this from gohastings a month ago for $35. It was the only place who had any in stock. It's a really rare game because it didn't sell well at all here, so they quit printing the game.

DQVI sold amazing in Japan this holiday season, but that was due to it never having been remade for the PS1 there. Even though DQV sold poorly here I still think they will bring VI just because of all the excitement DQIX will bring to the series.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I think it's still definitely coming, it's just that with the release of IX in Japan, Square-Enix had no desire to release this for quite some time... perhaps a holiday release in Japan, and then maybe we'll see VI by next summer, with IX to follow at Christmas 2010?[/QUOTE]

Actually, IX should be here at some point over the summer. Today's Nintendo conference had HUGE news for DQ fans, namely that Nintendo will be publishing DQIX in North America and so it looks like it might actually make it here in a timely fashion.

I've had my doubts about VI based solely on the abysmal sales of V, but this should nudge Square-Enix in the right direction. Though, any localization buzz has been purely speculation up to this point considering that it just came out in Japan and all.

Sorry to you guys that missed out on DQV. It's impossible to find new/not counterfeit online, but not impossible to find offline yet. If you're willing to settle for used, I see them at GS and Fye now and again. I realize this is anecdotal, but I'm not even in all that great an area for finding rare games so a little searching should yield something.

[quote name='gutter2d']I got this from gohastings a month ago for $35. It was the only place who had any in stock. It's a really rare game because it didn't sell well at all here, so they quit printing the game.

DQVI sold amazing in Japan this holiday season, but that was due to it never having been remade for the PS1 there. Even though DQV sold poorly here I still think they will bring VI just because of all the excitement DQIX will bring to the series.[/QUOTE]

When SE announced DQ 4-6 for the DS, they announced them for Japan, NA, and Europe at the same time. So, officially, DQ6 is still coming... but I was at E3 and it was not.

Tempted. I have it on my Goozex queue though.

I caved :( I have a big backlog so I might be able to get one through Goozex and keep this one sealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fwbweux']Actually, IX should be here at some point over the summer. Today's Nintendo conference had HUGE news for DQ fans, namely that Nintendo will be publishing DQIX in North America and so it looks like it might actually make it here in a timely fashion.
[/QUOTE]

I hope you realize that I made that post over half a year ago... ;)

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I hope you realize that I made that post over half a year ago... ;)[/QUOTE]

fuck. Didn't even realize this thread was bumped. DQV is so hard to find new that $37 seems like a realistic deal months later :lol:

None of you saw ANYTHING! ;)

Man, I want DQV, but $40 is a little high. Plus Pokemon is on the way and I am saving up for that. This is crazy times for videogames!

I recently picked up a copy of Dragon Quest V at TRU for $29.99 when they had the Bioshock 2 special. It wasnt in a clearance bin or anything so I dont think it was YMMV, but dont hold me to it.

The Amazon seller Bargain Buyers Software is selling new copies for $31.94 shipped.

Edit: Hmm, it may be the UK version he's selling. An eBay seller with a similar name (bargainbuyers621) is selling one at a similar price, but advertises it as the UK version.

[quote name='Jack']The Amazon seller Bargain Buyers Software is selling new copies for $31.94 shipped.

Edit: Hmm, it may be the UK version he's selling. An eBay seller with a similar name (bargainbuyers621) is selling one at a similar price, but advertises it as the UK version.[/QUOTE]

I sent a e-mail asking if it is the US version. I'll keep you posted.

This was the response from Bargin Buyers Software on what version it was...

"This game is no longer published in the U.S. This is the U.K version and the only version available new."

:(

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I refuse to pay $40 for a handheld game. Especially with the backlog I have.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for contributing.

[quote name='Josh5890']This was the response from Bargin Buyers Software on what version it was...

"This game is no longer published in the U.S. This is the U.K version and the only version available new."

:([/QUOTE]

Hopefully Amazon's is the US version.

Dude I SO lucked out on this title months back. Best Buy was clearancing out a shitload of titles with 50% off stickers and Dragon Quest V was one of them. The last copy, didn't see any at any other stores so it had to be a complete anomaly. 20 bucks. Win!

Might be my only chance to get the game, but man is it tough to pull the trigger on a $40 handheld game, especially considering all the great games coming out in the next few months. I highly doubt I'd beat this anytime soon. Decisions, decisions....

[quote name='Ryukahn']Might be my only chance to get the game, but man is it tough to pull the trigger on a $40 handheld game, especially considering all the great games coming out in the next few months. I highly doubt I'd beat this anytime soon. Decisions, decisions....[/QUOTE]

Your avy... is awesome. O_O

[quote name='Ryukahn']Might be my only chance to get the game, but man is it tough to pull the trigger on a $40 handheld game, especially considering all the great games coming out in the next few months. I highly doubt I'd beat this anytime soon. Decisions, decisions....[/QUOTE]

I would say if you want it, buy it. Normally I would agree with you 100% but this game is out of print and there is a big chance that if you try to buy this later on you will have to pay more than $40 unless SE puts this back into production. It is pretty rare to find this game new at all as it is and most ebay prices are close to MSRP if not more when no online vendors are selling the game.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been waiting to find this new and was hoping Amazon might restock. Looks like there's around 11 copies left from Amazon.

Man, I had accidentally placed an order for 10 copies of this game. I had to call amazon to cancel it because it was already in the shipping process.

As far as I know, there should be 9 copies available now.

if i'm not mistaken, VI comes out this june in japan. dont feel good about paying that price, but picked one up cause they do not exist in the greater milwaukee area.

Though I'm always sympathetic to the hunt for a good deal, this one really is worth the asking price. One of the best games in the series.

bread's done
Back