Dragon Quest V Reprint? $39.99 on Amazon

wow...I had JUST ordered it like 10 minutes ago. I went ahead and cancelled it hoping to get it cheaper. What is the link to the lightning deals page?

[quote name='JSiggy']It was part of Best Buys Easter sale that lasted 1 day, and the stock of DQIX sold out in like 10 minutes. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I can't believe I missed that. Being former BB employee I generally assume their deals will suck and I don't check them.

If you already ordered DQV it's worth a shot to ask Amazon to price adjust. The worst that will happen is they will say no. I imagine they might give you a little credit, but they probably won't match the lightning deal.

[quote name='JSiggy']It was part of Best Buys Easter sale that lasted 1 day, and the stock of DQIX sold out in like 10 minutes. :cry:[/QUOTE]

It was in stock for a few hours (around 2:30 am to 10:30 am EST), there was plenty of time to get in on the deal. I don't think it was intentionally part of the easter sale though, seemed more like a price mistake to me.

[quote name='Izod517']Amazon itself actually stocks very little. Most of what they sell is sold through what's called customer direct fulfillment or virtual fulfillment. Where wholesalers fulfill for Amazon, including the shipping/packaging/etc - it's all invisible to the end customer. Them having it and others not is usually either due to a relationship with X wholesaler, or them simply having smarter systems that update quicker. It usually has nothing to do with Amazon themselves "finding" stock.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of how it works, and I didn't necessary mean that Amazon had to have found the stock (if "found stock" is indeed what happened). It could have been a Square Enix warehouse, or a fulfillment center, or anyone else along the supply chain.

The other option, at this point, would appear to be an Amazon-exclusive reprint, since no one else has it and Amazon is actually shipping. That option seems even less likely, as it seems doubtful that Amazon would be so interested in the game that they would do that (and if they did, I would think they'd make a big deal about it being an Amazon exclusive).

[quote name='62t']Most stores don't stock reprints of niche games[/QUOTE]

If I were talking about B&M retailers, I would mostly agree with you (though I would be surprised if GameStop didn't stock at least one copy in at least some of their stores). However, the fact that not a single other online retailer is listing it is . . . odd. As Izod517 noted, online retailers don't need to keep stock themselves, they use fulfillment centers; many other online retailers use the same fulfillment centers that Amazon uses.

Anyway, it's all speculation regardless, and whether it's a reprint or not matters mostly because of the question of how available the game is or is not going to be at this point. I don't want to pay $39.99 for it if a couple months down the road I'll be able to get it for half that (if it's a reprint), but I also don't want to skip it if it's going to become unavailable again and the price is going to go back up in a few weeks (if it's found stock). Though assuming that the lightning deal does indeed happen, I'll probably just grab that.

[quote name='arcane93']The other option, at this point, would appear to be an Amazon-exclusive reprint, since no one else has it and Amazon is actually shipping. That option seems even less likely, as it seems doubtful that Amazon would be so interested in the game that they would do that (and if they did, I would think they'd make a big deal about it being an Amazon exclusive).
[/QUOTE]

How come? They did get the exclusive Persona 2 reprint a while back.

[quote name='Mugen Power']How come? They did get the exclusive Persona 2 reprint a while back.[/QUOTE]

That was announced, though, and was arranged by Atlus specifically as a promotion for Persona 4. Why would Square Enix or Amazon do this in complete stealth, with no announcement or promotion? Why wouldn't Amazon put an "Amazon exclusive" tag somewhere on the product page?

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just that it seems odd.

I just got my copy delivered - looks like a 2009 copy of the game. Nothing is on there to indicate a 2011 reprint - all copyrights are from 2008 and 2009 on the back. I might be missing something obvious, but that's what I can say about what I received.

[quote name='arcane93']That was announced, though, and was arranged by Atlus specifically as a promotion for Persona 4. Why would Square Enix or Amazon do this in complete stealth, with no announcement or promotion? Why wouldn't Amazon put an "Amazon exclusive" tag somewhere on the product page?

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just that it seems odd.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you all the way on this one! No way this is a reprint and ONLY Amazon was allowed to have any copies of it, doesn't make any kind of sense. Not to mention (and anyone who doesn't believe and has internet can verify), there are zero other retailers re-listing this particular game at the moment, so I would love to know just when/if these other stores are going to start having them available to all who keep saying it has been re-printed?

When They reprinted radiant historia without the box cover and cd, my local bestbuy's and gamestop never got any copy's of it and they still don't.
and i live in a semi big city

amazon was the only place i could find to get it.

so dragon quest V might be a reprint or it might not.
i have no idea

[quote name='jlkeeton']I just got my copy delivered - looks like a 2009 copy of the game. Nothing is on there to indicate a 2011 reprint - all copyrights are from 2008 and 2009 on the back. I might be missing something obvious, but that's what I can say about what I received.[/QUOTE]

I just got my game and it appears to be a reprint. I am basing that on it came in a "green" lighter DS case that, as far as I know, they just started using in the past year

[quote name='yeah420']When They reprinted radiant historia without the box cover and cd, my local bestbuy's and gamestop never got any copy's of it and they still don't.
and i live in a semi big city

amazon was the only place i could find to get it.

so dragon quest V might be a reprint or it might not.
i have no idea[/QUOTE]

When Atlus killed their own store, they started advertise their Amazon store as their new official store, which is probably why Amazon seems to have their stuff in stock longer.

LOL wow from extinct to reprint(?) to amazon lightning deal (in less than an hour from the time of this post). Makes me laugh at the economical rollercoaster of rare games, but this game is great so who cares, just get it if you're on the fence. :)

[quote name='gregnied']I just got my game and it appears to be a reprint. I am basing that on it came in a "green" lighter DS case that, as far as I know, they just started using in the past year[/QUOTE]

good to know. thanks for the info.

[quote name='silkysmooth']You missed DQIX being $6.99 at Best Buy on Sunday.

DQIV can be had generally for under $20.

DQVI I've seen on sale a few times but you may have to wait for it.

DQVIII on the PS2 I've seen hovering around $10 for a while now.[/QUOTE]

does DQVIII still come with the box? I actually lost mine a while back and would like a sealed copy with it

by the way @ DQ V being the lightning deal at 2pm... can i cancel my original order i placed last week when i buy that? It looks like i hasn't shipped yet. I would cancel it now to avoid any problems but how positive are we that the 2pm deal is DQV?

[quote name='Kenshindono']does DQVIII still come with the box? I actually lost mine a while back and would like a sealed copy with it

by the way @ DQ V being the lightning deal at 2pm... can i cancel my original order i placed last week when i buy that? It looks like i hasn't shipped yet. I would cancel it now to avoid any problems but how positive are we that the 2pm deal is DQV?[/QUOTE]

100%, I searched for this line on google "The second installment in the Zenithia Trilogy for your NDS" and DQV came up multiple times

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Well, looks like Amazon CS is getting a call from me. Why the fuck would they do this -.-[/QUOTE]

Don't expect anything. The deal with Amazon has always been that the price of the item at the time that the order was placed is the price that you pay -- pre-orders being the only exception. What you could do, if your earlier order hasn't arrived yet, is order it again and refuse the first shipment when it comes (when Amazon gets it back, they'll treat it as a return). If it has arrived already, you could always return it if you haven't opened it yet, though depending on how big the price difference actually is, that may not be worth the effort and expense of the return.

I've never once had any issue getting credit after the fact from Amazon. This shouldn't be any different. They kept changing the in stock date a good 3 times and estimated delivery date and a day after it's in stock they discount it?

It costs me $3 to return the game to them and reorder. I think it makes sense for them to just refund the difference since they don't need to pay another 2-day shipping fee to get me another copy.

You guys can think QQing is not warranted, but what does it take me? A good 5 mins on the phone, ohnoes.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Well, looks like Amazon CS is getting a call from me. Why the fuck would they do this -.-[/QUOTE]

Waaah, they offered a sale price on an item I just bought! That's unfaaaaair! Let me go whine to them, waaah!

Well, it's certainly worth a try. But if they do issue you a refund, it will be as a "one time exception" rather than as policy.

I didn't even get a chance to cancel since they changed the delivery estimate by two weeks out of nowhere on me and I had used $20 credit from Portal 2. From what I've heard, Amazon doesn't give back promo credit when you return games. I hope I can get some sort of refund for this otherwise I'm out of luck.

I still cant believe they gold boxed it for 50% off, thats crazy! I wonder if a new thread should be made for this deal since a lot of people will be informed of the gold box price?

They must seriously have picked up a really cheap 2nd print to be selling at this price, I bet the resellers are going to crap there pants now.

[quote name='gregnied']I just got my game and it appears to be a reprint. I am basing that on it came in a "green" lighter DS case that, as far as I know, they just started using in the past year[/QUOTE]

My case is the same as games like Super Mario 64 DS, DQ IV, Polarium... It's a darkish grey just like the others.

Man, I ordered this a couple days ago and used up my Portal 2 credit, and now it's $20!?! That sucks, could have gotten it for a net cost of free. Maybe I can get customer service to make an exception and refund me some money.

[quote name='Jedi_Amara']Whee, just ordered. Now back to bed.

By "green" case I'm guessing it's in an eco-case, boo. Oh well, better than nothing![/QUOTE]

Back to bed?

bread's done
Back