Dragon Quest V Reprint? $39.99 on Amazon

[quote name='callmewoof']Having worked at a gamestop for 3 years (years ago), I can attest to this person's statement. 20$ for a game, $10 for gas, and $6 for a week of Ramen. ^.~[/QUOTE]

Yep, you know the game. ^_-

[quote name='trunks982']wtf? it was $20. why wasnt this thread title changed when this happened? i couldve gotten this deal. sigh.[/QUOTE]

*Laff, Brother Daz created a thread just for it so there are no excuses!

[quote name='trunks982']wtf? it was $20. why wasnt this thread title changed when this happened? i couldve gotten this deal. sigh.[/QUOTE]

I was too busy actually buying the game. :cool:

Seriously, when I came on to do it there was already a new thread so I didn't bother. Sorry you missed the deal!

[quote name='skiizim']*Laff, Brother Daz created a thread just for it so there are no excuses![/QUOTE]

I blame Brother Daz for not personally sending him a PM about the deal.

there was a separate topic for that

[quote name='isual']so frustrating! I was looking at buying this game at 40 yesterday, then held off. Now I missed on this deal!!! F------- A! dangit!

I do hope this is a reprint. DQ5 is ridiculously expensive.[/QUOTE]

It is a reprint, I just got my copy today and it is in a different DS case, it is the eco DS case, they were not using this type of case when the game came out

[quote name='gregnied']It is a reprint, I just got my copy today and it is in a different DS case, it is the eco DS case, they were not using this type of case when the game came out[/QUOTE]

Does this mean there will be a surplus of DQ5 at a lower price? :booty:

I originally ordered it on April 21 at the price of 39.99, while at work I missed the Lightning Deal they had for $20.00 but I got on the phone with Amazon CS and the rep was able to price match the deal and took off $20.00.

I'm really impressed with the rep I got, and now i'm going paying $19.99 with free shipping for a New DQV! For those of you who missed the deal but still had it ordered before hand try giving their Customer Service Department a call, who knows you might get them to price match it the way they did with my order =).

[quote name='scott_matthews']God, I hate this "eco case" BS.[/QUOTE]

what's wrong with the eco cases?

God forbid we are better to the environment. Good for gaming I love that they exist. Recycling is a great thing!

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Sorry, wasn't directed towards you arcane. And I didn't report your post, didn't care enough sorry. Just trying to save other CAGs some money.

And like I said, I've done this several times in the past (though not many lightning deals) and never had an issue. Wasn't going to throw a fit either way, but I knew what I was getting myself into from the start. Always contact CS, always keep trying if you get turned down on the first try. It takes so little effort, and Amazon will pull through.[/QUOTE]

how do you contact them? can it be through email? I ordered it on the 24th for 39.99 and also got one of the lightning deals, can i have them price adjust the 39.99 one i ordered last week? or is it too late now?

not sure what a DS eco case is, but the 360 ones are HORRIBLE. They're so cheap they leave the games easily suceptible to damage. Espeiclaly down the line when they sit in warehouses with other games stacked on them.

When i pay 60 god-damn dollars for a fucking game i think they can spend the extra .02 on packaging that doesnt have holes in it! Eco-friendly my ass, theyre just saving a buck or two.

sorry, but it REALLY pisses me off. Its one of hte reasons i actually puy more ps3 games vs the 360 games these days. I wish there was somewhere i could complain to at microsoft about it

[quote name='NateWhs152']God forbid we are better to the environment. Good for gaming I love that they exist. Recycling is a great thing![/QUOTE]

screw that. Seriously, explain to me how this is 'good for the environment' that is the biggest line of bs. Game cases aren't a throw away item. Some idiots may toss them, but the majority of people keep their games in the damn cases. Companies just want to save a couple cents on packaging and still rape you full price for the games

Now maybe the DS ones are different, i havent seen them. But the 360 ones are absolute bs

[quote name='Kenshindono']

not sure what a DS eco case is, but the 360 ones are HORRIBLE. They're so cheap they leave the games easily suceptible to damage. Espeiclaly down the line when they sit in warehouses with other games stacked on them.

Now maybe the DS ones are different, i havent seen them. But the 360 ones are absolute bs[/QUOTE]

This is the truth right here. I have had 3 360 games get a horrible crack in the center of the disc, eventually destroying them completely and they all were in eco cases. Sure that may be just a fantastic coincidence but all my other games are perfectly fine so I firmly believe that the ecocases destroyed my games. Now when I buy a game and it comes in an eco case, I immediately replace the case.

Also, a DS eco case has the recycle sign cut out on the left side of the plastic while the right side is mostly intact except for the gba game holder missing.

Yeah, as the eco cases, I'm all for the concept, but the execution is bad and it is really just a money saving thing. I wouldn't mind if they reduced games (and DVDs) all down to CD-sized cases but kept the thickness and feel of the DVD-case (ie, no jewel cases please). That is a big waste there having those extra inches above and below the disc. And they'd stack/fit better which I'll appreciate as my collection continues to grow ;).

But seriously, there are way more places where plastic can be saved and have a much bigger impact = and yet it is not done because of marketing reasons. Have you bought any toys recently and dealt with the multiple layers of (non-recyclable) plastic those things have? Man, they need to simplify that shit just for convenience let alone the environment.

So you're saying that the DS eco cases are akin to the 360 recycle friendly ones? And a valid argument towards them is that they are not as sturdy as the standard cases, really?

Ugh, i loathe that 360 Eco Case. I broke my first game ever (Yeah, first game in my WHOLE life i had ever broken), due to one of those cases. My poor Black Op's disc didnt stand a chance, glad the manager let me return it though.

[quote name='NineH']This is the truth right here. I have had 3 360 games get a horrible crack in the center of the disc, eventually destroying them completely and they all were in eco cases. Sure that may be just a fantastic coincidence but all my other games are perfectly fine so I firmly believe that the ecocases destroyed my games. Now when I buy a game and it comes in an eco case, I immediately replace the case.

Also, a DS eco case has the recycle sign cut out on the left side of the plastic while the right side is mostly intact except for the gba game holder missing.[/QUOTE]

how do you replace the case? Ive actually been trying to find a place i can buy a decent stock of AUTHENTIC original xbox 360 cases.. though even those have some serious variations in them. At least none of them had holes in them. The only one almost as bad as these was the variant with a solid metal peg in the middle. I broke my tales of vesperia on that thing.

Damn i used to have an image of the different types but it was on the laptop thats graphic card got fried so i cant link it right now

Anyway, it sounds like im not the only one that cant stand the 360 cases. Sounds like several of you have already damaged games because of them. Thats BS. I was concerned about them down the line, it looks like theyre already an issue. I havent played too many recent games so i havent messed with them too much yet luckily. And like i said i have just been buying way less 360 games in general because of this

Anyone got a pic of the newer DS cases? im curious what they look like. They dont sound nearly as bad.

[quote name='Kenshindono']how do you replace the case? Ive actually been trying to find a place i can buy a decent stock of AUTHENTIC original xbox 360 cases.. though even those have some serious variations in them. At least none of them had holes in them. The only one almost as bad as these was the variant with a solid metal peg in the middle. I broke my tales of vesperia on that thing.
[/QUOTE]

What I usually do is just switch an eco case with an older case I have for an older game I don't care for anymore. I then get rid of them by trading in the older game with the eco case at a gamestop or wherever. I'm pretty much passing along those pesky eco cases and keeping my older cases from my older games. Apologies for not being helpful with where to get replacement cases.

[quote name='roymustang']Wow can't believe I missed this lightning deal. I'm very sad ; ;[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. But honestly i'm still grateful to be able to get this at all, what with what the prices were like before the reprint.

[quote name='Kenshindono']screw that. Seriously, explain to me how this is 'good for the environment' that is the biggest line of bs. Game cases aren't a throw away item. Some idiots may toss them, but the majority of people keep their games in the damn cases. Companies just want to save a couple cents on packaging and still rape you full price for the games[/QUOTE]

QFT. Exactly, eco cases are entirely about cost savings. In fact, I would make the argument that eco cases are WORSE for the environment than regular cases. I know plenty of collectors, myself included, who immediately replace eco cases with real cases and throw the eco case away. Not only has MORE plastic been used in that process but something was tossed in the trash where if a real case was used nothing would have been chucked at all.

[quote name='Kenshindono']how do you replace the case? Ive actually been trying to find a place i can buy a decent stock of AUTHENTIC original xbox 360 cases.. though even those have some serious variations in them. At least none of them had holes in them. The only one almost as bad as these was the variant with a solid metal peg in the middle. I broke my tales of vesperia on that thing.[/QUOTE]

You can maybe try this site. I've never personally use them, since when I buy used games, I make sure to get a great manual before I buy. They sometimes send me emails on different sales that they have.

Also I know that Best Buy started carrying replacement cases for all 3 systems. For about $3 you get 4 cases.

Another case of the vocal minority (the bit about them being worse, and everyone replacing them with "real" cases). Most people who play games don't collect them in the sense that you're referring to. They play it, toss it aside and probably step on the case snapping the disc in half a year or two down the line.

ECO isn't necessarily about how many people THROW AWAY the cases, it's more about using less materials to produce.

I'm not a fan of the cases either, I just don't think it warrants raging at. Nothing is going to change because of it. My only issue is that the dumbass recycle cutouts ruin the cover inserts if/when they accidentally poke through the holes.

If the case didn't cause damage to another part of the product, eh. But again, most people aren't collecting cover inserts. Discs breaking I don't understand unless you're stepping on the thing which... don't step on it? Either way, enjoy your instruction manuals while you still can, in a few years it's all gonna be gone anyways.

@Kenshin, your order never shipped right? I don't understand why you didn't just cancel your other order and re-order during the Lightning Deal. I have no clue how you can go about it after the fact.

LOL im sort of sad i made the lighting deal..might just return it... i dont know why i got another copy just to keep sealed...buying way too many games just to KEEP SEALED its just a waste of cash

It'd be nice to see games go back to using CD cases. They could stop justifying putting holes in the cases with all the plastic they saved making smaller cases. DVD cases always seemed a very inefficient use of shelf space and materials.

[quote name='Thrinn']It'd be nice to see games go back to using CD cases. They could stop justifying putting holes in the cases with all the plastic they saved making smaller cases. DVD cases always seemed a very inefficient use of shelf space and materials.[/QUOTE]

I suspect that once they went to smaller cases the eco-freaks would just demand that they find ways to put holes in those cases also.

I really don't think that this is about saving the planet, though, anyway. IMO that is just a cover for saving money making the cases.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I really don't think that this is about saving the planet, though, anyway. IMO that is just a cover for saving money making the cases.[/QUOTE]

Most "eco" things are all about the money not the planet. "Going green" has become a mult-million dollar industry because the ecotards eat it up regardless whether any beneficial effects on the planet even exist.

[quote name='scott_matthews']Most "eco" things are all about the money not the planet. "Going green" has become a mult-million dollar industry because the ecotards eat it up regardless whether any beneficial effects on the planet even exist.[/QUOTE]

What's annoying are zero-emission cars. Unless you are supplied by nuclear power (wind and water make too little electricity overall to matter), your GHG emissions are barely lower, like 20% or so at best. And then, this isn't taking into account radiation waste from nuclear power plants, which definitely is harmful.

[quote name='Kenshindono']screw that. Seriously, explain to me how this is 'good for the environment' that is the biggest line of bs. Game cases aren't a throw away item. Some idiots may toss them, but the majority of people keep their games in the damn cases.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with many of the arguments against "eco" cases, this one is terribly flawed logic. You might not plan to ever throw that game away in your lifetime, but your game collection isn't likely to become a family heirloom passed from generation to generation either. Eventually, sometime, somewhere down the line, all of those cases on your shelf are likely to end up in a landfill somewhere.

Of course, a better question would be how much those "eco" cases really do to save the environment. Cutting down on the amount of plastic in them is a nice idea, but they're still a large, solid plastic object. If game companies were really concerned about the environment, they'd look into other options such as biodegradable plastics or other alternative packages. But of course, those are a lot more expensive, and these companies are more interested in looking green than in being green.

[quote name='arcane93']While I agree with many of the arguments against "eco" cases, this one is terribly flawed logic. You might not plan to ever throw that game away in your lifetime, but your game collection isn't likely to become a family heirloom passed from generation to generation either. Eventually, sometime, somewhere down the line, all of those cases on your shelf are likely to end up in a landfill somewhere.

Of course, a better question would be how much those "eco" cases really do to save the environment. Cutting down on the amount of plastic in them is a nice idea, but they're still a large, solid plastic object. If game companies were really concerned about the environment, they'd look into other options such as biodegradable plastics or other alternative packages. But of course, those are a lot more expensive, and these companies are more interested in looking green than in being green.[/QUOTE]

Well played:applause:

[quote name='yourlefthand']I suspect that once they went to smaller cases the eco-freaks would just demand that they find ways to put holes in those cases also.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right. It just seems odd that these companies are spinning it at "We're helping the environment with eco cases" while these very same cases are about twice as large as they actually need to be. It's like they're taking one step forward and one step back. The consumer gets stuck with a bulky case that does a lesser job of protecting the disc.

[quote name='salty tbone']Is this a deal thread or a Glenn Beck psuedo-science rant thread?[/QUOTE]

Until one of them brings out a chalkboard, there is no way to know.

I ordered the game, don't know when i'll have time to play it but it feels like I haven't played a good JRPG in years (Chrono Trigger and FF13 are still in my backlog...)

[quote name='salty tbone']Is this a deal thread or a Glenn Beck psuedo-science rant thread?[/QUOTE]

Heh. Realistically, the deal for this thread died yesterday when the lightning deal ended. Now that it's been $20 and Amazon clearly has plenty of copies (even after the lightning deal, they still aren't sold out, and it's still possible to add 999 copies to your cart), it's (for now, anyway) just another game selling at full retail price.

[quote name='Thrinn']You're probably right. It just seems odd that these companies are spinning it at "We're helping the environment with eco cases" while these very same cases are about twice as large as they actually need to be. It's like they're taking one step forward and one step back. The consumer gets stuck with a bulky case that does a lesser job of protecting the disc.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the main reason for the large cases is the competition for visible shelf space, and that issue isn't going away anytime soon. It's why so many goods are sold in so much larger boxes than they need to be. If one manufacturer starts to put their product in a smaller box, they just get pushed aside and lost among other manufacturer's products. And so products tend to get put into the largest packaging that a manufacturer is able to justify and stores and consumers are willing to accept (too large, and the store doesn't want to give it shelf space and the consumer doesn't want to store it).

[quote name='io']Yeah, as the eco cases, I'm all for the concept, but the execution is bad and it is really just a money saving thing. I wouldn't mind if they reduced games (and DVDs) all down to CD-sized cases but kept the thickness and feel of the DVD-case (ie, no jewel cases please). That is a big waste there having those extra inches above and below the disc. And they'd stack/fit better which I'll appreciate as my collection continues to grow ;).

But seriously, there are way more places where plastic can be saved and have a much bigger impact = and yet it is not done because of marketing reasons. Have you bought any toys recently and dealt with the multiple layers of (non-recyclable) plastic those things have? Man, they need to simplify that shit just for convenience let alone the environment.[/QUOTE]
I hate those eco-cases too. The holes or thinner plastics aren't saving much but make the case so much weaker. I received quite a number of X360 games in bubble mailers with their spine bent to the point that the artwork was creased because of the much flimsy case (I have far less problem with PS3 cases). Also, there tends to be more dents and nicks on the case because of those holes in the plastic.

The 'packaging' on toys nowadays is ridiculous. I think the manufacturers are intentionally doing this so that you can't simply return them because you can't really put them back together. The number of wire ties and partitions are crazy. It's almost to the point that kids can't unpack their toys without adult's help.

[quote name='jlkeeton']My bad - I was just looking @ the outside and didn't get what you meant by "green". I looked it up and found the "ECO" case w/out the GBA slot is what you meant. That's what this comes in. Everything else looks like original but you're right that the inside of the case is different. Boo. I still wanted the game although the 19.99$ price is really nice. They won't adjust it for me after 2 tries. I can always order the new and return this one.[/QUOTE]

That's what I kind of figured.

ANYWAY~

I remember when a bunch of jerks gave me flak when I said this game is rare. Wonder where they are off to... bunch of dicks.

[quote name='eau']I hate those eco-cases too. The holes or thinner plastics aren't saving much but make the case so much weaker. I received quite a number of X360 games in bubble mailers with their spine bent to the point that the artwork was creased because of the much flimsy case (I have far less problem with PS3 cases). Also, there tends to be more dents and nicks on the case because of those holes in the plastic.

The 'packaging' on toys nowadays is ridiculous. I think the manufacturers are intentionally doing this so that you can't simply return them because you can't really put them back together. The number of wire ties and partitions are crazy. It's almost to the point that kids can't unpack their toys without adult's help.[/QUOTE]

I think the toys are packed in the factory like that as in they are actually assembled while being packaged at the same time.

The problem is that it can take almost 20-30 min to unpack ONE toy. I have gone through it many times, meanwhile you have a screaming kid who wants their toy and it takes over 20 min sometimes to get one out of the package. Kids definitely cannot unpack their own toys these days as most of these boxes contain sharp edges and small parts which could pose a danger to kids (for real, not just a speech here).

Don't even try to buy barbies, bratz or any type of fashion doll, just don't. I am not even sure if they still sell bratz but I went through that phase with my cousins and I swear it took 2 adults 30 min to get one of those dolls out of the package. It was also incredibly easy to damage a doll's hair as it was actually sewn to the back of the box. You are better off buying these at a yard sale or thrift or second hand just so you don't have to deal with the packaging!

I bought a 6 foot audio cable the other day, surely it doesn't take plastic that thick or a package that large to keep it in place?? We need to make packages and cases smaller, not more flimsy like they do in Japan. Perhaps then retailers could stock more games, and more merchandise if the packages were smaller and could actually compete with online retailers whom stock a lot more than retail stores. Have you seen a box on a GBC game from Japan, its like 1/3 the size of a regular GBA box. It still does the job just fine. This is the only example I can think of off hand, I have a couple DS games from japan and they use the same cases as US games.

Amazon has frustration free packaging on a lot of their stuff, but I don't know how much of that they are doing these days.

[quote name='NateWhs152']God forbid we are better to the environment. Good for gaming I love that they exist. Recycling is a great thing![/QUOTE]

You shut your filthy mouth. I KEEP all of my cases. So guess what? I'm not harming any environment. "Eco" cases are just publishers finding ways to make their end cheaper with hippies like yourself believing the propaganda that they are saving the earth.

[quote name='Zaku77']Any post that begins with shut your filthy mouth is A+ entertainment![/QUOTE]

That's what I am here for.

bread's done
Back