Dragon Quest V Reprint? $39.99 on Amazon

I just said F it, and bought one (won) an auction on ebay for 25 bucks, and I'm assuming it's not an eco case too.

[quote name='apokalypse']For what it's worth I got my copy from amazon in the mail today and it appears to be the original and not a reprint.[/QUOTE]

weigh it.

original weighs over 4 ounces. the reprint weighs less.

[quote name='DJ_Tet']Is the reprint in an eco case and the original in a regular case?[/QUOTE]

yes.

that's what accounts for the less weight in the reprint. if you run your fingers over the cover of the reprint, you can feel the grooves of the eco case.

holy crap guys. Didn't mean to start several pages of bitching about Eco-cases. Well it is good to know that it seems pretty much everyone else hates them as much as I do. I just really wish there was somewhere to complain to. Is there an xbox email or anything i can use? I know it wont change anything but i was wondering who i should let know that i now buy ps3 games over 360 games the majority of the time because of this crap. I used to favor 360 gavmes for achievments and they tend to look better.. but now these terrible cases has me passing the 360 version whenever I can

[quote name='arcane93']While I agree with many of the arguments against "eco" cases, this one is terribly flawed logic. You might not plan to ever throw that game away in your lifetime, but your game collection isn't likely to become a family heirloom passed from generation to generation either. Eventually, sometime, somewhere down the line, all of those cases on your shelf are likely to end up in a landfill somewhere.

Of course, a better question would be how much those "eco" cases really do to save the environment. Cutting down on the amount of plastic in them is a nice idea, but they're still a large, solid plastic object. If game companies were really concerned about the environment, they'd look into other options such as biodegradable plastics or other alternative packages. But of course, those are a lot more expensive, and these companies are more interested in looking green than in being green.[/QUOTE]

Actually i may pass my collection down to my kids, its rather large =P or it may get sold off. Point is its not gonna get tossed. It may end up in a landfill but you can say that about ANYTHING. My furniture may wind up in a landfill eventually too, so what? Do we make everything biodegradable and flimsy? hell no

you do bring up a good point though. these 'eco' cases are garbage. How does cutting the middle of them out help them degrade better? Its still a huge hunk of plastic. I think the argument they tried to make is they take less energy to produce or something maybe? Im not sure but the bottom line is its all bs. You r right if they really cared theyd be using biodegradable plastics. Of course they wont since those are more pricy.

Is crap all around

[quote name='scott_matthews']QFT. Exactly, eco cases are entirely about cost savings. In fact, I would make the argument that eco cases are WORSE for the environment than regular cases. I know plenty of collectors, myself included, who immediately replace eco cases with real cases and throw the eco case away. Not only has MORE plastic been used in that process but something was tossed in the trash where if a real case was used nothing would have been chucked at all.[/QUOTE]

im still wondering where you guys get your good 360 cases. I think you can buy DS cases on nintendos site but im not sure if those are the good ones or these eco ones everyones talking about. Honestly i've never seen an eco case for DS games. Is it universal these days?

[quote name='Animekatt']You can maybe try this site. I've never personally use them, since when I buy used games, I make sure to get a great manual before I buy. They sometimes send me emails on different sales that they have.

Also I know that Best Buy started carrying replacement cases for all 3 systems. For about $3 you get 4 cases.[/QUOTE]

Best buy sells them? Really? Where in the store? i never saw them. That site looks so-so. It seems they dont sell new cases, just used ones. Id really like new ones. Still wondering if anyone knows a good source for them. Specifically for the 360 but possibly for the DS down the road too

blea. As far as this game goes, looks like i got 2 copies, the one i ordered on the 24th shipped with the other one. I doubt i can price adjust, guess i just have 2 copies

[quote name='DJ_Tet']Is the reprint in an eco case and the original in a regular case?[/QUOTE]

Here is the difference-

Eco-Friendly-DS-Game-Case.jpg

[quote name='Nintendonly']Here is the difference-[/QUOTE]

Nuts. I wonder if I'm too late ordering replacement cases from Nintendo to use for my GBA games. Guess I'll find out.

This entire argument was hilarious. Do you really know the point of the new cases? Its not because they are "more" biodegradable or recyclable (and they are, if you think corrugated cardboard is the same as plastic then you get an F in science), its because they are lighter. Less space, less shipping costs, less fuel used, less cost to major stores such as Walmart. Either way who cares? Go buy some old games from a flea market and switch em out if your OCD is that far off the wall.

[quote name='Animekatt']You can maybe try this site. I've never personally use them, since when I buy used games, I make sure to get a great manual before I buy. They sometimes send me emails on different sales that they have.

Also I know that Best Buy started carrying replacement cases for all 3 systems. For about $3 you get 4 cases.[/QUOTE]

I can't really recommend that site for buying replacement cases, but I've never really found anywhere else. There cases are unused as they get them from some company that rents games. However that company also is careless opening up the games. They use a knife to take off the shrink wrap and cut through any stickers. There are usually some knife marks around where the case opens. Personally I want perfect cases and was not happy with the ones I got from them because of this. I also had the same problem with Wii and PS2 cases. However the original Xbox cases I got from them were great and did not have this problem.

[quote name='Ash Burton']This entire argument was hilarious. Do you really know the point of the new cases? Its not because they are "more" biodegradable or recyclable (and they are, if you think corrugated cardboard is the same as plastic then you get an F in science), its because they are lighter. Less space, less shipping costs, less fuel used, less cost to major stores such as Walmart. Either way who cares? Go buy some old games from a flea market and switch em out if your OCD is that far off the wall.[/QUOTE]

+1.

I'm mostly a cynical bastard but I don't really care if it's a cost cutting move by the publishers. Any reduction in plastic and fuel use is a good thing. I don't think the cases are flimsy. If you're doing anything to the cases where you might damage an eco-case, then you're not serious about your collection anyway. Unless you're gonna sit on it, what's the difference? It's not like the eco case plastic is gonna disintegrate.

[quote name='confoosious']+1.

I'm mostly a cynical bastard but I don't really care if it's a cost cutting move by the publishers. Any reduction in plastic and fuel use is a good thing. I don't think the cases are flimsy. If you're doing anything to the cases where you might damage an eco-case, then you're not serious about your collection anyway. Unless you're gonna sit on it, what's the difference? It's not like the eco case plastic is gonna disintegrate.[/QUOTE]

Generally I agree, although sometimes the case is shattered before you ever get it in your collection, like what happened to my bundled copy of Modern Warfare 2 a couple years ago.

Still, the eco thing didn't bother me until I noticed they removed the GBA slot. I'm working on my Glenn Beck chalkboard rant right now.

[quote name='salty tbone']Generally I agree, although sometimes the case is shattered before you ever get it in your collection, like what happened to my bundled copy of Modern Warfare 2 a couple years ago.

Still, the eco thing didn't bother me until I noticed they removed the GBA slot. I'm working on my Glenn Beck chalkboard rant right now.[/QUOTE]

yeah, damaged in transit sucks but that has happened to me with regular cases. I think it's just bad luck.

As for the GBA slot, why do you need it?

[quote name='confoosious']yeah, damaged in transit sucks but that has happened to me with regular cases. I think it's just bad luck.

As for the GBA slot, why do you need it?[/QUOTE]

For making custom GBA cases. Plus with a slight modification you can use them as GB/GBC cases.

Not the end of the world losing the slot, and I always wondered why it was there to begin with, but for some collectors it was nice to have.

oh, i like my games in the original cases. Like I won't put an xbox game in a 360 case.

I think Tony Hawk Motion had the extra sensor that went into the GBA slot.

[quote name='salty tbone']Not the end of the world losing the slot, and I always wondered why it was there to begin with, but for some collectors it was nice to have.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Metroid Pinball come bundled with a rumble pack? That's the only time I can recall Nintendo actually doing something with the GBA slot in a DS case.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Can I just buy one of those $3 DS games in the bins at walmart and swap them out?[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as $3 games in bins at Walmart.

[quote name='Kenshindono']I think you can buy DS cases on nintendos site but im not sure if those are the good ones or these eco ones everyones talking about. Honestly i've never seen an eco case for DS games. Is it universal these days?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='salty tbone']Nuts. I wonder if I'm too late ordering replacement cases from Nintendo to use for my GBA games. Guess I'll find out.[/QUOTE]

I emailed Ninty a couple of weeks ago to find out (wanted some replacement cases of my own) and they said they're shipping eco cases from there now. :(

i cant tell you how many FREE GBA games i got off ebay with people selling me DS games and forgetting they put their GBA game in those slots..

most people didnt think it would been worth the money to get their games mail back...

those were the days :)

[quote name='chunlirocks']It really is sad how many earth hating fucksticks are on this board.

The human race is done.[/QUOTE]

Is it wrong then that I'm drinking water out of a plastic bottle, while eating my filet-o-fish which I specifically asked for in McD's old school Styrofoam container while driving my H-1 Hummer over a baby seal who is trying to help a swan trapped by my six-pack-soda-plastic-ring which I deliberately tossed in the lake?

I mean, come on, I did just order DQ5 in all its eco-friendly case glory. I balanced out right?

[quote name='nikkai']Is it wrong then that I'm drinking water out of a plastic bottle, while eating my filet-o-fish which I specifically asked for in McD's old school Styrofoam container while driving my H-1 Hummer over a baby seal who is trying to help a swan trapped by my six-pack-soda-plastic-ring which I deliberately tossed in the lake?

I mean, come on, I did just order DQ5 in all its eco-friendly case glory. I balanced out right?[/QUOTE]

lol

...so, about dem video game deals...

I got this for $30 from K-Mart, and usually I would have returned it since it was $20 (and for some reason, I can't justify spending more than the cheapest a game has ever been), this game's worth $30. Hope everyone who gets it likes it!

[quote name='chunlirocks']It really is sad how many earth hating fucksticks are on this board.

The human race is done.[/QUOTE]
Congratulations on your indoctrination!
Al Gore and PETA welcome you.

Snagged an original for $23 on ebay. $20 savings over Amazon's 39.99+tax when I first tried to order (and subsequently canceled after the lightning deal) Mind you I still credit Amazon's deal with forcing the price down.

bread's done
Back