Dragon Quest VIII

After a few ups and downs with this game, I was finally so bored that I just had to go back and beat it. And even though I dreaded going back to it, it was actually fun, and the ending was good. I just wish that what there is to do after the game wasn't so hard and annoying-looking.

[quote name='pete5883']After a few ups and downs with this game, I was finally so bored that I just had to go back and beat it. And even though I dreaded going back to it, it was actually fun, and the ending was good. I just wish that what there is to do after the game wasn't so hard and annoying-looking.[/quote]

You have to understand, this was basically an NES RPG game with a new coat of paint. Ironically, what you found boring is what got people so totally excited for this game.

[quote name='Vegan']You have to understand, this was basically an NES RPG game with a new coat of paint. Ironically, what you found boring is what got people so totally excited for this game.[/QUOTE]

I meant bored outside of the game. And I knew what to expect, I played 150 hours of DQVII :roll:

[quote name='paddlefoot']How does this game compare to its PS1 predecessor (DWVII)?[/quote]

I've never played DQ7, but I hear it's made of crap. DQ8 is made of awesome.

I liked VII better because of the job thing. VIII obviously has much better graphics though, and exploration is more fun as a result.

[quote name='pete5883']I liked VII better because of the job thing. VIII obviously has much better graphics though, and exploration is more fun as a result.[/quote]

I don't like job systems in RPGs, they make things too complicated for my tastes.

[quote name='VulSuck']io, if you're still looking for a game similar to DQVIII, you might try...Chrono Trigger.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,

I'll keep that in mind when they start the PS1 downloads for PSP... I suppose I could look for a PS1 version, but I have such a backlog of PS2/GC/PSP/DS/GBA games I'd have a hard time fitting that in :rofl:.

Question (SPOILER ALERT)

I beat the game the normal way, and I have beaten the first dragon of the Dragovian Trials. Do you get anything for beating all the dragons, or for going back and beating Rapthorne again? I.e. a different ending? It seems like it will take forever to level up enough to beat all the dragons (I'm currently only level 42) and i don't know if I want to spend the time...

[quote name='Backlash']Question (SPOILER ALERT)

I beat the game the normal way, and I have beaten the first dragon of the Dragovian Trials. Do you get anything for beating all the dragons, or for going back and beating Rapthorne again? I.e. a different ending? It seems like it will take forever to level up enough to beat all the dragons (I'm currently only level 42) and i don't know if I want to spend the time...[/QUOTE]

You do get a different ending for going through the Trials - but I think, maybe, you only have to do one? I know you don't have to do them all, but I'm not sure how many as I did them all before beating Rhapthorne again. You do need to go back to Rhapthorne (who was pathetically easy once I had levelled up for the Dragovian stuff).

You might want to go through a couple of Dragons though as you can get the cool outfit if you get the sword and armor pieces (your appearance changes). The only really hard Dragon is the Darksteel one - so I'd say at least get to him. If you can get through him, the one afterwards isn't too hard and you might as well get them all. So it looks like you can get all the gear without beating the Darksteel - 2 of the treasures are not pieces of Dragovian gear, so you can skip the last 2 Dragons and still get the full set.

I spent a great deal of time levelling, but it really isn't necessary. You don't actually get many HP from each level, and that is really what you need to withstand his multiple attacks. I ended up beating him by changing strategy - I detailed this earlier in this thread (look back a few pages - the key is the Kabuff spell, the Timbrel of Tension and using Executioner with Yangus). There are also pictures of the Dragovian gear there if you want to see what it looks like.

Edit - It is all just back on Page 4 - how I beat the Darksteel and the pictures of the Dragovian gear and the "true" ending. Don't look unless you want massive spoilers or aren't intending to get the second ending.

Cool thanks. Yeah, I've been using kabuff in all big battles (not just bosses) ever since I got it a long time ago. I got the Alchemy pot upgrade after the Vermillion Dragon, so I can make some good gear fast. Maybe I'll give them a shot.

I liked the old Dragon Warriors and RPGs in the style of EarthBound: Will I like this?

finished the game yesterday and i have to say, best rpg i've ever played besides chrono trigger.

my listed completion time was 72 hours. Hero and yangus were level 38, angelo and jessica 37.

awesome
game, a must play for sure.

I havent played this in a looong time, but I believe you get one of the best things in the game from the Dragovian Trials. Isnt that where you get the 'instant cook' ability for the alchemy pot?

imo, this is the absolute best thing in the game. You dont know how many hours I spent running into the corner with a rubberband around the controller cooking things in that damn alchemy pot. After I got the instant ready pot, I was a cheese making machine! lol

Since most of the best items in the game can only be made thru using that damn pot, the ability to make stuff instantaneously was huge for me.

[quote name='Puffa469']I havent played this in a looong time, but I believe you get one of the best things in the game from the Dragovian Trials. Isnt that where you get the 'instant cook' ability for the alchemy pot?

imo, this is the absolute best thing in the game. You dont know how many hours I spent running into the corner with a rubberband around the controller cooking things in that damn alchemy pot. After I got the instant ready pot, I was a cheese making machine! lol

Since most of the best items in the game can only be made thru using that damn pot, the ability to make stuff instantaneously was huge for me.[/QUOTE]

I like how this and the Dragovian trials are entirely pointless.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I like how this and the Dragovian trials are entirely pointless.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely true - if you go through at least the first trial you get more background info about the character's origins and storyline and stuff, and a different ending.

Sorry to bump, but this is the greatest game I have ever played.

The only thing I find weird is, I am only 15, and never played any old chool RPGs loke Chrono Trigger and Earthbound. I think that's a little weird that a modern gamer like me can appreciate this "old school" game. Picked it up on sale at GC on Christmas Eve 2005, put it down once I couldn't beat the second boss. Picked it back up in March, beat the boss, and the game absolutely took off. Didn't put it down until June, got 107 hours on it, beat all the Dragovian Trials. The game is on clearance at Target for $10, anyone who hasn't picked this up MUST DO SO right now.

I had never played any of the "classic" RPGs either (though I've been gaming since the 80s), but I really enjoyed DQVIII. I think I put more than 95 hours into it.

is there any way to get a good .psv save for ps3 with high hp at the beginning so i can play this without dying all the time? The battles are too hard and I don't want to fight a hundred little monsters to level up just to get to the next dungeon.

[quote name='sparklecopy']is there any way to get a good .psv save for ps3 with high hp at the beginning so i can play this without dying all the time? The battles are too hard and I don't want to fight a hundred little monsters to level up just to get to the next dungeon.[/quote]
Just grind through thefirst two bosses. After that the game becomes a little easier (to the point where you don't have to level grind). That is when the game skyrockets.

Yeah the beginning of the game is much harder than almost all of the rest of it, with the exception of one or two other bosses. But, expect to do some grinding if you're not doing any sidequests (which would tend to help level you up some).

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Sorry to bump, but this is the greatest game I have ever played.
[/quote]

for me Chrono Trigger is the only RPG that ranks above DQVIII. both are tremendous achievements.

[quote name='sparklecopy']is there any way to get a good .psv save for ps3 with high hp at the beginning so i can play this without dying all the time? The battles are too hard and I don't want to fight a hundred little monsters to level up just to get to the next dungeon.[/QUOTE]

That's the point of old-school rpg'ing. Just stick with it, it's definitely worth it.

It's definately dull and tedious. I enjoy old-school turn based rpgs. but with my limited time schedule these days it's really hard to get into the pattern of
1. fight
2. heal after fights until mp runs out.
3. return to town to rest
4. fight more
4b. go to next dungeon. get defeated by boss
5. buy new equipment with money.
6. fight more.
7. see numbers 2 & 3.

I needed the strategy guide just so I didnt waste hours 'exploring' between towns.

[quote name='eldergamer']It's definately dull and tedious. I enjoy old-school turn based rpgs. but with my limited time schedule these days it's really hard to get into the pattern of
1. fight
2. heal after fights until mp runs out.
3. return to town to rest
4. fight more
4b. go to next dungeon. get defeated by boss
5. buy new equipment with money.
6. fight more.
7. see numbers 2 & 3.

I needed the strategy guide just so I didnt waste hours 'exploring' between towns.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I find exploring in an RPG to be fun.

I see what he means by the grind. I just started the game and it is a tough go. Haven't gotten to the second boss or saved the girl yet. I kind of expected more after putting in 5+ hours. However, I'm not going to drop it anytime soon.

The beginning (especially first cave) is the second-hardest part of the game. It gets much easier and less grinding is needed once you get Jessica.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I see what he means by the grind. I just started the game and it is a tough go. Haven't gotten to the second boss or saved the girl yet. I kind of expected more after putting in 5+ hours. However, I'm not going to drop it anytime soon.[/quote]

The beginning (especially first cave) is the second-hardest part of the game. It gets much easier and less grinding is needed once you get Jessica.

Yeah this game doesnt get going until the time most games are wrapping it up. Im remembering it being about 12-15 hours in before things started to go smoothly for me. Of course this is a 70-100 hour game were talking about here. Getting Jessica is a huge help.

My boyfriend, a Dragon Quest geek, is playing this game for the first time. In the Japanese version because he's Japanese. It's fun to watch him play it, as I played it when it first came out here. It's kind of like replaying it, but not having to go through the trouble of doing it yourself. :lol:

I put so much time into to this game last night. I was just going to play for a hour but that turned into 5. I think Jessica's boobs made me forget the time. That is a mighty low cut dress she has on.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I think Jessica's boobs made me forget the time. That is a mighty low cut dress she has on.[/quote]
Magic Bikini

Playing this game right now. I am at the part about getting the the Moonshadow Harp. Fun so far and I am already up over 27 hours. Spent a lot of time exploring and trying to find all the treasure chests.

Anyways, one thing I dont like about it so far is you have to get to a town to save the same. Spent way more time than I had to in the castle fighting and having to zoom back to a town to save when I had to go to sleep. Then, had to go through the castle again to find the library.

Playing through it right now for the first time. I am loving every moment in this game. Im a little bit further than above poster. I have about 30 hours clocked and I maybe play for 5-10 hours a week due to work if im lucky. Slowly but surely I will beat this masterpiece.

Got the boat and on Argonia right now. I also only play a few hours a week. I think I have more hours log since I check every nook and cranny in every town and try to find all the treasure chests outdoors. Over 38 hours now. May take me 150 hours to finish! LOL!

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I'm 27 hours in and looking for The Toad King's horse daughter. How dare they take a man's horse. Mark my words, there will be blood.[/quote]

And a right lot at that, eh gov?

[quote name='camoor']And a right lot at that, eh gov?[/QUOTE]

LOL, it's got to be a mark of great character design when you can still hear the exact voice saying that even after years of not having played the game!

I just realized I (according to gamefaqs) need to spend the next few hours (days and weeks of real time) leveling up to level 30 to fight the Dark Ruins boss.

Ugh..really?
I am about to head there but not even close to level 30. Guess I will explore the previous island more. Was wondering about the blind man in the forest. Now I can find out!

Im at work 7pm to 7am tonight to sell salt, got my samsung940 mw and my ps3 and im ready to clock some serious dragon quest 8 time. I just got my ship im exploring around the diffrent islands.

[quote name='DaddyBoJangles']Im at work 7pm to 7am tonight to sell salt, got my samsung940 mw and my ps3 and im ready to clock some serious dragon quest 8 time. I just got my ship im exploring around the diffrent islands.[/quote]Shouldn't you be selling salt instead of playing games?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Shouldn't you be selling salt instead of playing games?[/quote]

I can do both. Its called Multi-tasking. It also helps when only 2 or 3 trucks come in every hour to have a ticket printed up.

My boyfriend has clocked like 45 hours and hasn't even fought
Dhoulmagus
for the first time. He's mixing new equipment before he goes into the dungeon with him in it. I took 61ish on the whole game (not including the post-initial-ending stuff), but I did use a guide more than him. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up clocking in at.

bread's done
Back