Dragon's Dogma PS3 & 360 $49.99 @ Amazon

Amazing game! Been playing it since Tuesday. GOTY so far for me. Bought it at Best Buy with in-store pickup to get the $10 coupon, but would have bought it from Amazon if it was $50.

This is a game to pickup now imo while the online community is still active.

I'm aiming for at 30 or less. I still have my gc from Amazon Local but it seems stupid to use it now.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about this game but $30 or less sounds about right for a capcom title. I'll wait.

Excellent game bought it at release and was not exepcting it to be this good really, sleeper hit for me!

[quote name='Link2999']Amazing game! Been playing it since Tuesday. GOTY so far for me. Bought it at Best Buy with in-store pickup to get the $10 coupon, but would have bought it from Amazon if it was $50.

This is a game to pickup now imo while the online community is still active.[/QUOTE]you're still in a good situation since you've got at least 30 days to pm it down cheaper than $50(60 days if you're Silver) which sweetens the pot. $40 + $10 credit will be the deal in the end most likely.

[quote name='Link2999']Amazing game! Been playing it since Tuesday. GOTY so far for me. Bought it at Best Buy with in-store pickup to get the $10 coupon, but would have bought it from Amazon if it was $50.

This is a game to pickup now imo while the online community is still active.[/QUOTE]

Won't the high level pawns from other players still be in the...whatever that place is called where you find them?

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Won't the high level pawns from other players still be in the...whatever that place is called where you find them?[/QUOTE]
Yes but there will be fewer players renting your pawn -> gain less rift crystals / quest+monster knowledge

This really is a game that needs to be played at its online peak for the best experience

this game doesn't have an online pass or anything does it?

if you can find it pre owned at best buy and use the coupon you can get it for like $35

Before you jump on this title I recommend you go watch the Angry Joe review. He pretty much hits the nail on the head with the game's major problems. It's fun, and brings a lot of good ideas to the table, and the goods of the title are really good, but it's flawed enough to be a complete turn off for a lot of people.

Backtracking across the same enemy spawns over and over, no fast travel to get around the monotonous repetitive backtracking, only 1 save file with quests without any set order that get auto-canceled without warning, with an iffy auto-save that saves over that 1 file, a new game+ that does not increase the difficulty at all or mix things up(meaning a second playthrough would be beyond a cake walk, and it isn't that hard in the first place(I died from falling more than enemies)), pawns that repeat themselves over and over and say some stupid things at stupid times, characters in general that are rather lackluster and quests that are beyond bland(though the world itself is good), not enough bosses(what excited me was facing all the different myth creatures, and there really aren't many more than what you've probably seen in trailers/demos), a freaking ton of Disk Locked Content, and the list just goes on from there.

Like I said though, the good parts of the game are really good, jobs are awesome and a blast to rank up, the core gameplay is cinematic and a lot of fun, and the choices you make for your character, and your team in general, in relation to how you approach battles are great. However, what will make or break it for you, I'd say, is at that 15th time walking through that same patch of goblins that you had no trouble defeating in the first place. The fun is still there, but the freshness and any surprise in this encounter are long gone, and you can't help but feel like it's starting to become a chore just to get from place to place. If this sounds like something that'd be hard to get past I recommend a rent/wait for price drop/wait for cheap GOTY edition that are 'all the rage' these days. With the amount of Disk Locked Content they have, I'll be doing the last. Hopefully they'll fix some of the more annoying things in that edition, and particularly add to the NG+ difficulty. like RDR GOTY similarly did by adding the hardcore mode.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Before you jump on this title I recommend you go watch the Angry Joe review. He pretty much hits the nail on the head with the game's major problems. It's fun, and brings a lot of good ideas to the table, and the goods of the title are really good, but it's flawed enough to be a complete turn off for a lot of people.

Backtracking across the same enemy spawns over and over, no fast travel to get around the monotonous repetitive backtracking, only 1 save file with quests without any set order that get auto-canceled without warning, with an iffy auto-save that saves over that 1 file, a new game+ that does not increase the difficulty at all or mix things up(meaning a second playthrough would be beyond a cake walk, and it isn't that hard in the first place(I died from falling more than enemies)), pawns that repeat themselves over and over and say some stupid things at stupid times, characters in general that are rather lackluster and quests that are beyond bland(though the world itself is good), not enough bosses(what excited me was facing all the different myth creatures, and there really aren't many more than what you've probably seen in trailers/demos), a freaking ton of Disk Locked Content, and the list just goes on from there.

Like I said though, the good parts of the game are really good, jobs are awesome and a blast to rank up, the core gameplay is cinematic and a lot of fun, and the choices you make for your character, and your team in general, in relation to how you approach battles are great. However, what will make or break it for you, I'd say, is at that 15th time walking through that same patch of goblins that you had no trouble defeating in the first place. The fun is still there, but the freshness and any surprise in this encounter are long gone, and you can't help but feel like it's starting to become a chore just to get from place to place. If this sounds like something that'd be hard to get past I recommend a rent/wait for price drop/wait for cheap GOTY edition that are 'all the rage' these days. With the amount of Disk Locked Content they have, I'll be doing the last. Hopefully they'll fix some of the more annoying things in that edition, and particularly add to the NG+ difficulty. like RDR GOTY similarly did by adding the hardcore mode.[/QUOTE]

The backtracking honestly didn't bother me at all through my first 40+ hours, what bothered me about this game is the f-ing single save slot, that's right this is an RPG that only allows you one save file slot with no backups or anything. My file got corrupted (1st time it's EVER happened to me, I always shut down my PS3 properly) so I basically got wiped out about 50-60% through. No warning, all of a sudden I go to load the game and am greeted with a message that basically states: "save file corrupted, do you want to delete file and start a new game?". Fu$% that. I was completely immersed in the game so all the "walking" didn't bother me at all. However it would pain me to do it all again.

I would warn anyone to do a search on "Dragon Dogma save corruption", and even though it only allows 1 backup, I would make sure to at least save 2 files to a USB stick and constantly update them (1 "latest" save, and 1 confirmed save that is backed up in case the "latest" save turns out to be corrupt). I actually was using PSN+ to backup my saves, but because the save file itself is only 1 slot, PSN+ did nothing for me but back up my corrupted save. There was no way for me to "roll it back" to a prior state. Completely rediculous on Capcom's part IMO.

[quote name='Agent Orange']The backtracking honestly didn't bother me at all through my first 40+ hours, what bothered me about this game is the f-ing single save slot, that's right this is an RPG that only allows you one save file slot with no backups or anything. My file got corrupted (1st time it's EVER happened to me, I always shut down my PS3 properly) so I basically got wiped out about 50-60% through. No warning, all of a sudden I go to load the game and am greeted with a message that basically states: "save file corrupted, do you want to delete file and start a new game?". Fu$% that. I was completely immersed in the game so all the "walking" didn't bother me at all. However it would pain me to do it all again.

I would warn anyone to do a search on "Dragon Dogma save corruption", and even though it only allows 1 backup, I would make sure to at least save 2 files to a USB stick and constantly update them (1 "latest" save, and 1 confirmed save that is backed up in case the "latest" save turns out to be corrupt). I actually was using PSN+ to backup my saves, but because the save file itself is only 1 slot, PSN+ did nothing for me but back up my corrupted save. There was no way for me to "roll it back" to a prior state. Completely rediculous on Capcom's part IMO.[/QUOTE]That's why I jumped all over the $20 32 GB USB drive BB had on sale last week you can easily scored a 16 GB for less than $20 too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Enuf']That's why I jumped all over the 32 GB USB drive BB had on sale last week you can easily scored a 16 GB for less than $20 too.[/QUOTE]

Well I already have USB sticks all over the place, but it's too late now.

I was already using PSN+ to backup all my saves in case of hardware failure, in which case I would restore from PSN+. So I didn't really see the need to use USB as a backup. Considering this has NEVER happened to me it was pretty hard to anticipate this failure here which is based on the fact the game itself only allows 1 save slot. It should be emphasized, even if I was making practice of copying my latest save to a USB stick that it still wouldn't do me any good (because my last copy on the USB would have been an exact copy of the "corrupted" save, with no way to roll it back whatsoever). Which is why I emphasized to make 2 or 3 copies of prior saves which were confirmed to work, and not just copy the absolute latest save which might turn out corrupted.

Backtracking is a bit of a chore at times but really I felt once it became annoying, I was already nearing the end of the game. Plus once you are in New Game + you can buy Port Crystals from the Black Cat and so can pretty much warp to where ever you want.

I'd highly recommend against this game on the PS3 if you do not enjoy playing games at low frame rates. The game seems to run consistently below 30 fps, at somewhere around 24-28 fps. The frame rate also drops, however, to around 18-20 in certain areas and while many on-screen effects are taking place.

For someone who wants a comparison to Dark Souls and its performance, playing Dragon's Dogma on the PS3 for me was akin to consistently being in a slightly better Blighttown (although, under certain circumstances, the game ran as poorly as Dark Souls runs in Blighttown).

I cannot speak for the 360 version, as I have not played it, but from what I can tell, it seems to run more consistently around 30 fps.

On 360 you have to deal with consistent screen tearing with occasional frame rate dips, so pick your poison with either version. PS3 - inconsistent frame rate, but no screen tearing. 360 - better frame rate, but lots of screen tearing.

Dragon's Dogma is also my GotY - logged in 120 hours and got the Platinum trophy for it.

[quote name='earvcunanan']On 360 you have to deal with consistent screen tearing with occasional frame rate dips, so pick your poison with either version. PS3 - inconsistent frame rate, but no screen tearing. 360 - better frame rate, but lots of screen tearing.

Dragon's Dogma is also my GotY - logged in 120 hours and got the Platinum trophy for it.[/QUOTE]

If only it would come out on PC...

[quote name='Agent Orange']Well I already have USB sticks all over the place, but it's too late now.

I was already using PSN+ to backup all my saves in case of hardware failure, in which case I would restore from PSN+. So I didn't really see the need to use USB as a backup. Considering this has NEVER happened to me it was pretty hard to anticipate this failure here which is based on the fact the game itself only allows 1 save slot. It should be emphasized, even if I was making practice of copying my latest save to a USB stick that it still wouldn't do me any good (because my last copy on the USB would have been an exact copy of the "corrupted" save, with no way to roll it back whatsoever). Which is why I emphasized to make 2 or 3 copies of prior saves which were confirmed to work, and not just copy the absolute latest save which might turn out corrupted.[/QUOTE]same here I probably have 100 GB combined in USB drives to go along with 2.5 TB between the portable HD's. But since it was a 32 GB for the price of my 16 GB & there's never gonna be enuf space seeing as how there's so much of a digital push it pays to be prepared.

[quote name='Xiemos']If only it would come out on PC...[/QUOTE]maybe DD2

Well, PC is getting Dark Souls...

BTW, how does this game compare to Demon/Dark Souls? I hear it's pretty similar. Also, would anyone say DD is a better game?

i got lucky with gs b2g1 and scored an RE6 code. my 2 cents? the combat is excellent, and is the only thing that holds this game up, as it's many flaws would be far more apparent without it. that said, because of the combat, it is a wonderful game with many options on how you want to kill the many beasties of the world. 50$ may still be a bit steep, if only because stores like bestbuy spoil me to death, and because i havent bought a game above 35$ since... a very long time i guess. atleast since i started shadowing CAG and eventually becoming a member :lol:

I really wouldn't compare DD to Demon's/Dark Souls. DD doesn't have an intricate stat-based system and the world in DD is more of an open-world type rather than connecting zones. The combat (melee) in DD is also more akin to Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter. There's archery and magic usage too and those belong in certain class types.

I haven't finished Dark Souls yet, but I'm enjoying it. I don't think it'll top DD, but I'll see.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']I'm debating between this or Kingdom of Amalur for Christmas when it's gonna be like $15 somewhere.[/QUOTE]Don't think you'll have to wait till BF for either game at that price range. DOTD or @gamer coupon would be my bet. BF is where I'll pick-up the GOTY/Complete versions of games for $15-$20.

[quote name='earvcunanan']On 360 you have to deal with consistent screen tearing[/QUOTE]

Someone discovered that if you set the xbox output resolution (in xbox settings) to 720p, it reduces quite a bit of the tearing. Still not a smooth ride, but.

It's worth the price of admission. The only console game I've bought in years, and I have about 80 hours in. Kind of a weak price drop, considering it was $59+ $10 credit on pre-order, though.

I have a ton of good things to say for the game. A lot of interesting systems in place -- the pawn system, the diminishing returns on healing, etc --, fun combat, and some unique classes and skills.

My main complaint with the game is that it starts out difficult, and the battles are quite epic feeling. Then at some point, a switch flipped, and my character could mow through enemies and waltz right up to the big guys without a fear of dying. Killed the mood a bit.

[quote name='Gnomes and Pie']I'd highly recommend against this game on the PS3 if you do not enjoy playing games at low frame rates. The game seems to run consistently below 30 fps, at somewhere around 24-28 fps. The frame rate also drops, however, to around 18-20 in certain areas and while many on-screen effects are taking place.

For someone who wants a comparison to Dark Souls and its performance, playing Dragon's Dogma on the PS3 for me was akin to consistently being in a slightly better Blighttown (although, under certain circumstances, the game ran as poorly as Dark Souls runs in Blighttown).

I cannot speak for the 360 version, as I have not played it, but from what I can tell, it seems to run more consistently around 30 fps.[/QUOTE]

I don't have the 360 version, but I only had like 3-4 slow downs through my entire 1.5 playthroughs. Although I do recommend this game as its fun.

[quote name='BrentronD']Well, PC is getting Dark Souls...

BTW, how does this game compare to Demon/Dark Souls? I hear it's pretty similar. Also, would anyone say DD is a better game?[/QUOTE]

It really depends on what type of gamer you are, personally I would not call it better, unless you consider being much easier being better. It really depends on what you liked and didn't like about the game.

The two are comparable in both being third person fantasy rpg's, and both having a unique take on social interactions, and yeah they're technically both 'open world' with linear ties behind the scenes, but honestly I wouldn't personally say they're very much alike when you really get into it.

To paint a very generalized picture in a few words, Dark Souls is more refined and paced where as Dragon's Dogma is more action-arcadey hack-n-slash-ish and cenimatic. Both fun, and both different in how they work within their respective genre, with similarities that are more due to genre or just accidental, rather than things that play off of each of their strong suits.

In Dark Souls you find more fun in coming to a task, figuring out how to accomplish it, and then finally putting in the right effort and accomplishing it. In DD the fun was more in exploration and the world unfolding mysteriously before you, and those 'OH CRAP, A CHIMERA' moments. However once you've been through the area you know it's there, and it's always there, and you always take it down the same way, and it only gets easier as you level up. That's why going through an area the first few times is fun, and later on not so much... at least that's what it was for me. Admittedly, leveling up *is* far more fun in DD, but again it comes at the price of becoming superman vs peons(which might not be so bad if it weren't the same peons over and over xD), where as Dark Souls is honestly a challenge for as long as you want to play it.

Summoning/invading/notes I personally find a lot more fun and interesting than the pawns, and is quite obviously a lot more direct-interaction. Pawns were an interesting concept that, to me, stayed just that, an interesting concept. It was neat to have a pawn tell me quest info and monster info, and even more neat to have my little mage Zelda, created from scratch, to come back with quest info all her own... but let's be honest for a minute. For a RPG, would you rather have a really neat character with an interesting back story that ties into your own, that your character can form an actual bond with and that you can actually start to care for, or are you really more interested in the dozens of random SeymoreButz you'll find online, with no free will(even in the games world, pawns have no free will, that's their whole point), thus no real personality, who is just squawking out the same npc dialog every time your character hits a certain place in the game world? When you really think about it, while such an interesting idea, it's just not quite as glorified as it sounds.

Honestly, being able to create your companions is the shiny of the feature here, but why not find a good balance? I remember back in the day where the only customization we got was naming them, and somehow even that felt charming... but it didn't change who they were, and they didn't have to be some mindless drone. Why not take that concept and build on it? Give us a character concept at the start of the game, and let us create them. Even if it was just for one character (preferably a love interest), that could be so awesome... ANYWAY, I'm getting a little off topic now. :lol:

[quote name='Heavenlywind']I don't have the 360 version, but I only had like 3-4 slow downs through my entire 1.5 playthroughs. Although I do recommend this game as its fun.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, the frame rate drops are present. Some are just not good at recognizing the differences; it probably has to do with a person's eyes.

For anyone who usually plays PC games and is used to 60+ fps, the drops are instantly noticeable.

Check the following video for a good example of the frame rate drops on both platforms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Ky9NiPTjE&feature=relmfu

[quote name='ddog510']Will buy it when it hits 40 new or 30 used. Better live up to all the hype :p[/QUOTE]
You'll love it so much, you'll make ddog an abbreviation for the title of the game.
Just kidding!

[quote name='Royal High Knight']so in order to play the re 6 demo, you need to have this game or does it come with a code that you input for when the early demo releases?[/QUOTE]

Well I have the PS3 version, and the code is on the back of the manual. Based on what I'm reading on the manual, however, it doesn't seem like there is early access to the demo. It reads as "being one of the first to play the demo on Sept. 4th" (paraphrased)

[quote name='Royal High Knight']so in order to play the re 6 demo, you need to have this game or does it come with a code that you input for when the early demo releases?[/QUOTE]

You have to have the game and the code that comes with it.

[quote name='Gnomes and Pie']Believe me, the frame rate drops are present. Some are just not good at recognizing the differences; it probably has to do with a person's eyes.

For anyone who usually plays PC games and is used to 60+ fps, the drops are instantly noticeable.

Check the following video for a good example of the frame rate drops on both platforms:
[/QUOTE]

There lies the problem, if you are a console gamer, you wouldn't notice any of those things because you (console gamer) are used to games with a maximum of 30 fps. If you are a PC gamer on the other hand, 60 fps is your bread and butter and so you notice it.

From playing the DD on the ps3 I can say that the drop in fps is not as bad as people here are making it out to be. Do I wish it was on the PC ya, but it is not so trying to bring in the Pc is moot, but i digress. There is some slowdown but it is not really enough to cause problems, the biggest problem is the pop in with npcs and mobs. But those don't distract from how great this game is, and I hope they make an expac or at least a sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching angry joe review I am only buying this when it's under $10. And it's not that the game is bad it's just with work and a family I don't have the time for anther RPG. It's sad that capcom had such a big hit on their hand yet they missed with some major flaws. And I would like to say capcom will fix these flaws but their prior history this gen doesn't lend a lot of confidence.

More power to you if you loved the game but I don't think to me it's worth more than 10 bucks and with so many games I want to play I can wait till next year

[quote name='Jayrcee']Which DLC is worth purchasing?[/QUOTE]

None.

Seriously, don't give Capcom any money for their on-disc DLC crap. Just enjoy the game :)

thanks mewman and aircobra. Guess Ill just wait for the demo to be released for everyone. Im not a big fan of these types of games and the re6 demo was the only reason I wouldve bough this. As for the september release for the demo that cant be right. Owners of this game get access eaelier than that since the game comes out early october.

Well, Capcom has already stated publicly they want to make it a franchise, so here's hoping part 2 isn't just Super Ultimate Dragon's Dogma NOW WITH DIFFERENT COLOR OUTFITS

bread's done
Back