Dragon's Lair Xbox 360 Kinect XBLA title

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!
News has been out for about a week. anyone else excited???

here's comments from a guy that actually got to try it out (his name is sydbolton):

I was fortunate enough to play this game during a recent visit to Digital Leisure doing some research ... and I have to tell you, this is the most AMAZING and fun filled Dragon's Lair experience I have had in a long time. These guys have put a LOT of extras into the game - the Kinect controls are not just "up, down, left, right" - you actually have to climb the ropes, and pull the sword from the stone etc. It's great and so is the presentation etc. If you don't like all of that you can still use the controller of course but trust me you are going to WANT to play this with Kinect!

Check out the guy's Dragon's Lair collection! :drool:

2rh9snm.jpg

This is actually the first Kinect game that has me interested..cool way to update such a classic part of video game history.

Aww! lucky guy.

played the demo. the demo defaults to Adventure mode which is the no-die mode that let's you watch the entire Dragon's Lair cartoon (but the demo is limited to under 3 minutes so you can't actually watch the whole game).

they actually made a new CGI cartoon tutorial to explain the kinect controls!

I actually had a decent time. Man, you really have to have some quick reflexes because there's not much room between when they flash the symbol and you have to perform it. kind of like whack a mole...

I purchased this right away but didn't give the kinect controls a try until last night. I have to admit, this game is absolutely amazing with Kinect. In fact, its so amazing with Kinect that they should do a lot more games just like this. They could of course, adapt all of the Dragon's Lair type games like Space Ace. But they should go one further and actually develop new games that follow this play style. Its still great with the game pad and I love that they made it so you can choose between the two but this game really shines with Kinect. I cant believe I am actually typing this but its 100% true. The game play style of Dragon's Lair + Kinect is a perfect match.

lol when I heard shipwreck talking about DL 2 on the PC and the damn red copy protection code sheet I was like...oh yeah that sheet. You know I never beat that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IlKn7hjyN4&feature=plcp

alright, they did a lot to make the game more accessible to people.

the adventure mode is the no-fail mode. you can play along or you can just watch. if you're late with the move or choose the wrong move, you'll see the move highlighted in red. if you choose the right move at the right time, the move is highlighted in green. but regardless, you get to advance.

the demo defaults to adventure mode.

there's the arcade setting which is the way it was in the arcades. you die and get to the next randomized scene.

the home mode is where you can learn the scenes. you stay on the scene until you finish it. so if you ever wanted to learn the game, now you can. that was the big complaint I had with the HD-DVD version. In that version, you could never get your bearings as you would die and then jump to another scene and by the time you got back to the scene that you died on, you had already forgotten what you did previously and tended to repeat your mistakes.

the controller mode gets this weird big bezel around it. the kinect mode has the graphics take up the whole screen! as if you needed further reason to do the kinect mode. I played the HD-DVD version of Dragon's Lair and it didn't have a huge bezel around it.

they did a surprising amount of new work for this. Not for the actual game video as that was already redone with the HD-DVD and BluRay versions... but they added new CGI segments for the tutorial and other areas. And the Kinect controls do make it feel like a different game.

Interesting. I will check out the demo, but when I played this on iOS I really thought it was a game best left as a memory. So I'm still skeptical that Kinect can make it better, but maybe?

bread's done
Back