Dreamcast VGA questions...

BigBizzee

CAGiversary!
I recently found a Dreamcast VGA box for $8 at a local game store. It's the one Racketboy sells for $30 or so, but he's out of stock. Great deal right?

Well, I've tried it on my Samsung 40" TV, my Acer 23" PC Monitor, and my 20" Sony CRT PC MOnitor - and I get no picture on any of them.

I have read that the Samsung TV's don't accept 640x480 through the VGA...which is fine.

The Acer 23" Monitor is pretty new, so I figured maybe it had the same problem. Fine.

The 20" Sony CRT not working? This I don't understand. The monitor itself works - I used it with my PC two months ago. When I start the dreamcast, I can see one split second of flicker on the monitor from the Dreamcast boot up screen...but then it goes black . It IS getting a signal (because when I disconnect the cord, it says no signal - when I put it back in, it just goes black).

I have read some VGA boxes break, which is possible.

My question - am I doing something wrong? Is there a reason this isn't working on ALL three monitors? Do you guys have any experience at all with this?

Maybe I'll return it :whistle2:( I'm sad, cause $8 was a great deal. Physically the thing looks pristine and solid. But no picture from any monitor (sound works fine).

And to note, I AM using VGA compatible games, for sure.

Anyone?

I'm not familiar with that specific VGA box, but it sounds defective if it flickers for a second on your CRT. Maybe a short or something. Maybe someone else has experience with that model.

I've used the Blaze VGA box for years and it's still working fine. It's just plug and play, so there's nothing you could really do wrong as long as you have a VGA monitor that supports 640x480.

Many games that don't officially have VGA support can be forced to use it by plugging in the VGA box a couple seconds after turning on the Dreamcast.

I bought a "DC VGA BOX" from racketboy several years ago, I use it to play House of the Dead 2 on an old CRT computer monitor. If it's the same one there is a switch on the front that allow output to be switched between composite/s-video cables to VGA. Make sure the switch is on PC and try it again.

I messed with that PC/TV switch a little to make sure it was all the way in the "PC" position...and it definitely was. I'm thinking I bought a defective box. I can't see any possible way ALL THREE of my TV's/monitors don't accept the signal. In fact, I even read online that my particular model of Samsung 40" LCD TV did in fact work with a VGA box. And you're right - the fact that I saw a flicker on the CRT tells me something is there, but it's not showing up. Damn.

Looks like I'll be returning the $8 box I bought, and opting for a more expensive one on Ebay :whistle2:( Perhaps I'll unscrew the top and take a look inside for a loose wire or something first.

Thanks guys

[quote name='BigBizzee']I messed with that PC/TV switch a little to make sure it was all the way in the "PC" position...and it definitely was. I'm thinking I bought a defective box. I can't see any possible way ALL THREE of my TV's/monitors don't accept the signal. In fact, I even read online that my particular model of Samsung 40" LCD TV did in fact work with a VGA box. And you're right - the fact that I saw a flicker on the CRT tells me something is there, but it's not showing up. Damn.

Looks like I'll be returning the $8 box I bought, and opting for a more expensive one on Ebay :whistle2:( Perhaps I'll unscrew the top and take a look inside for a loose wire or something first.

Thanks guys[/QUOTE]
You're welcome, and too bad the VGA Box isn't working right. Did you try the S-video/composite connection and see if it works. If it does than It might be worth keeping it and having it repaired since you say racketboy is out of stock.

...and Collectordragon I've only ever owned the one brand and it works perfectly for all of my games. There was an official VGA box but I haven't seen it being sold for a long time.

There was an official Sega brand, but like OldSchool has said - it's been a while since I've seen one. I noticed a Japanese version on ebay for $100!

The ones racketboy sells (like mine) are suppose to be pretty good...they are the clear ones you see online. The Blaze is a popular model too from what I have read. I've seen one other kind I believe, but I don't know if there is a name on it (it looks pretty generic).

As for the quality - from threads I have read, I'm not sure any of them are REALLY high quality at all, as they all seem to have issues from time to time. YMMV, if you will.

I'm going to try the S-video and composite tonight. That's good advice :) If they don't work either, then perhaps it's my DC, or maybe a problem with the cable coming from the DC to the box.

OldSchool77 - you mentioned having it fixed...do you know of people doing this? Do you think Racketboy would be able to fix it? I don't know if he actually works on these things, I just thought he sold them.

Thanks again

BigBizzee - The DC VGA BOX doesn't do any converting of the signal, if something is wrong and it's not something visible it's probably one of three things: broken switch, loose connection, dead capacitor. It's probably the switch and any competent electronics repair store should be able to fix it. If you are familiar with circuit repair I actually have a diagram I found a while back that can help or you might want to see if anyone is trading /selling one in the CAG forums.

Well, I had a glimmer of hope! I had the DC hooked up to the 20" CRT - and while it was just sitting there turned on, a picture appeared on the monitor!!! Then, it went away, and came back, went away and came back. I nudged the VGA cable slightly, and it stayed on for a few seconds, then went away again. I'm not sure if the nudging had anything to do with it, but a picture appeared, so there is a chance I could get this thing going afterall!

To me it sounds like there is a bad connection somewhere...so I took the cover off the VGA box. Nothing seems loose. the switch seems tight, and the VGA jack seems tight. That doesn't mean all of the connections are solid, but they don't appear to be falling off. My father is pretty good with testing circuits and what not, I might have him look at it. The nudging I did on the cord might not even have anything to do with it - I wonder if a capacitor could still be at fault or something similar...

The good news is - I had it working! Since then though, I have not been able to reproduce a picture, even with the VGA box apart and me fiddling with the connections.

I appreciate the help :) If you have any other thoughts, I'm all ears.

It sounds to me like you might have a defective cable. Most video cables for console have multiple wires inside them. Its entirely possible for one of those wires to work its way loose, or break over time. Checking the connections is probably your best bet.

And just FYI, you should never need to pay $30 for a Dreamcast VGA box. The Dreamcast is capable of outputting VGA natively. The VGA box is essentially just a switch that turns this feature on. The circuitry inside the average Dreamcast VGA box is insanely simple. It's actually possible to build your own VGA box with a quick trip to Radio Shack, and a soldering iron.

Oddly enough, E-Bay really is one of the best places to pick one of these up. You can usually find them new in the sub $10 range. That's the proper price for a Dreamcast VGA box. Anyone charging $30 for one is ripping you off.

I've looked over the wiring diagrams for one of those homemade VGA jobs - it looks a little over my head...but I know someone who might be able to figure it out. Maybe I'll do that some day.

I'll be checking the connections soon.

Thanks everyone :)

I've used this box since I was sent it during my freelancing tenure for Gameshark.com:

vga.box.jpg

It's probably the best VGA box for the Dreamcast simply because it allows you to manage both a DC and PC simultaneously while also allowing you to switch to standard AV mode for non-VGA games.

That said, it works with my 32" Samsung LCD, so I don't think it's your TV's problem. I suggest getting another VGA box... even the cheaper ones are a step above an composite hook-up.

I haven't seen too many of that performance brand...mostly no name ones :(

I'm still looking on fixing this...otherwise, I'll go look on ebay. thanks

bread's done
Back